Yellowtail Pale Ale - Ballast Point Brewing Company

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Kölsch |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

There's no wonder why our Pale Ale is so popular--it is skillfully crafted in the style of the Kolsch beers of Cologne, Germany. We've chosen German hops for aroma, and rounded out the recipe with a blend of American and German malts.

While it is very much like a pilsner, our Pale Ale is fermented at ale temperatures, giving it a subdued fruitiness--a perfect compliment to the crispness of the wheat and maltiness of the Munich malt. If you like a lighter brew but also like the complexity of craft beers, then our Pale Ale is for you.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yellowtail Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

4.7/5  rDev +33.5%

I enjoy a good pale ale and this is a pretty good one. Had it shipped for the holidays and I was the hit of the party. Very drinkable, very balanced. Everything you can hope for in an ale.

4.68/5  rDev +33%

Poured into my cylindrical Spaten glass.

A: Nice gold color, not too light and ever so slightly hazy. Still quite clear. Great white head with fantastic retention and lacing.

S: Light and crisp fruitiness within lovely malt and yeast aromas. Nice and clean smelling.

T: Clean and crisp on the taste as well. Nice malt backbone is made ever so slightly soft and tangy by a bit of wheat. Fruitiness is much more subdued than the nose might suggest. Just a hint of hop bitterness to balance things out.

M: Light and refreshing. Not too heavy and finishes nice and clean with a mildly sweet aftertaste.

D: VERY high. Great carbonation and balance. An optimal choice for a session brew.

This is fast becoming my "everyday" beer of choice. Its drinkability is quite excellent. Although the Kölsch has been thought of as more of a warm-weather brew, I could definitely enjoy this one year-round. It may not be as bold as other styles, but that's where its beauty lies. Worth trying, for sure.

4.64/5  rDev +31.8%

A - Honey apricot and hazy with a healthy glow and a one finger white head that sticks around despite it's small size. Lots of frothy lace is left on the glass after a good swirl, and the head is brought back to a fat finger.

S - Holy crap does this smell great! It smells EXACTLY like Quaker Oat Squares cereal, or Cracklin' Oat Bran warmed up with milk in the microwave, with honey drizzled on top. No kidding. When I was a kid, my buddy that lived next door's parents used to always fix us warmed cereal with honey and that stuff was the figgin' bomb. This probably smells more unique than almost any other beer I've ever had. No joke.

T - This tastes grainy and honeyed like the nose, but with a good dose of gritty hops. This tastes like Grape Nuts cereal more than Quaker Oats or Cracklin' Oats. This just might be the most cereal intensive beer ever. An I love me some cereal. This has some Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch notes too, with big hops for the style on the back end.

M - Medium bodied, crackling carbonation, and a slightly dry and very grainy...(cereal like almost) finish.

D - This reminds me of the cereals that I loved as a kid and for that it gets an A in my book! This is an oddball brew....especially for the usually unassuming style. This shit was $12 for the six pack in Fort Collins, CO but I can see why....this is good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +26.4%

Had a yard of this at O'Hungry's in Old Town yesterday and was very impressed. It poured a nice medium yellow color with a small white head that left some lace down the glass. The smell was very refreshing with a crisp hop scent. The flavor was equally as smoothe and crisp with a slight hop kick that was more balanced towards the slighty spicy malt profile. This is a great session beer and just goes to show that you can make a very light and drinkable beer and still have a great flavor.

4.45/5  rDev +26.4%

This one pours into my Sam Adam's 16 oz. glass a honey-golden color, clear and crisp with seemingly perfect carbonation. a little, lacy white crown rises shallow sticks around nicely.

This one has a very aromatic nose for the style. Sweet, clover honey in the clean and wheatie scented malt. Very earthy and herbal scented German hops, green veggies and slightly musty.

This one is a VERY crisp, very clean and refreshing semi-sweet malt that has a subtle clover-honey current with a dry- wheat and herbal hop balance. Yummy and amazingly drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a tasty, satisfying brew, true to its Kolsch inspiration.

Pours a radiant yellow with a lovely white head and trailers of carbonation. The aroma is strong and honey-like. The flavor is grainy, smooth, and honeyish with gentle, mouth-bracing hops. It has a thin, pleasant mouthfeel.

This is a near perfect beer when you are in the mood for a light, refreshing ale with some character.

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The store by me now has ballast point brews in cans.

This beer is one of the best pale ales I've ever had. I thought I just liked the sculpin, but after having them all can admit that ballast point is a world class American craft brewery. I love the classic beers, and quality.

Compare this to Blue Heron (Mendocino), Mirror Pond (deschutes) ...but still so unique and great malt but balanced. Actually probably not appropriate to try to compare .

4.37/5  rDev +24.1%

This is a relatively bitter pale ale, great if your a hop head and if you like Ballast Point's Big Eye IPA. This beer was very crisp and refreshing but certainly flavorful; as perfect for a warm summer day as a snowy day in January. This is the kind of beer I could easily drink all day.

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

I'm sure lots of people pick this up looking for an APA and are disappointed. I picked this up looking for a good Kolsch, I hope it doesn't let me down. It looks good, it's got the golden body, high carbonation, and white head that are indicative of the style. The aroma is nice and crisp, with bready malts, zesty hops, and some light citrus aspects. The taste is also fantastic, it's a nearly perfect Kolsch style. It's got nice crisp, noble hoppy sort of taste at first, that seamlessly crosses over to a wheat and bread finish. The mouthfeel is great, it's perfectly crisp. The drinkability is very good. It's a great Kolsch. A really great Kolsch. No idea why it took me so long to give this a try ... maybe finally figuring out how to read Ballast Point's date codes so I could get a fresh bottle was the kick I needed.

4.34/5  rDev +23.3%

A thick white foam that retains and leaves laces over a yellow clear (but not perfectly so) liquid. Smells softly of fruit, but otherwise clean. The flavor is grainy, slightly sweet, low bitterness on finish and a bit of spice. The flavors are smooth.

Lower carbonation despite huge head, lighter body, very slight pucker.

Why this is called a "pale ale" I haven't a clue. If you're making craft brews, beer snobs are your audience. Tell us it's a Kölsch! Drinks easy and has a surprising complexity of flavor without all the bitterness. Definitely fills a niche.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Poured an ever so slightly cloudy light, pale amber with a med head and tiny bubbles whitch seemed perfect for this style.
Aroma is sweetly malt with a very faint citrus.
Mouthfeel is crisp from the carbonation.
Taste is first sweet malts, then sharp hops, followed with a slightly banana and lemon taste. Actually, much more balanced than it sounds. The flavor of this brew is very complex, but pleasingly so.
Aftertaste is drying hops with a lingering pleasant bitterness.
Although this probably has more of a hops signature than is usually found in this style, I found it extremely refreshing and qualfable.
I could drink these all summer long
NOTE: I just read up a little on Yellowtale brewing from their web site and found that they use 5% wheat in this beer...THAT is the crispness I was tasting...there is definately a bread thing going on in the taste and aftertaste. Wonderful!

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Server from 12 oz bottle into Sam Adams Glass
A: Golden/ Dark yellow, very clear, Off White head with medium bubbles. Head disipated fairly quickly
S: Floral, malty and a little fruitiness in the background, no real hop scent.
T: Delicious, a bit sweet, simple bit of malt and some esters from the yeast with the hop bitterness being,slight and very late.
M: Aquious, crisp. refreshing.
D: This is a great drinker, I would love to sit out on the patio or out by someones pool and drink these all afternoon.

The taste on this is hard for me to describe other than to say it tastes like "really good beer".

I had this for the first time at the ACBF and when out and spent the $12.50 for six. I drank them all this weekend. I will have more in my fridge tomorrow afternoon.
I think I like Kölsch