2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 524 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
scottfrie

3.04/5  rDev -18.1%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

04-19-2014 02:57:56 | More by scottfrie
Georgiabeer

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

04-18-2014 01:44:38 | More by Georgiabeer
bluejacket74

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

04-12-2014 18:10:04 | More by bluejacket74
Jbats

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this on tap at 3 Wise Monks.
Got a taste of this as it sounded crazy interesting. At first, it was so strange that I was a bit apprehensive and did not think I could drink an entire pint. But once I did I found myself going back for more. Smell is dominated by curry along with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. Taste is so unique, curry again, cocoa, a mild roasted coffee and some heat that does not overwhelm in the finish. The base beer does not drink at all like a foreign stout. It is smooth and slightly malty. So well balanced in flavors. Unfortunately, the coconut and kaffir leaf are almost non-existant. Still an awesome offering by ballast point!

03-28-2014 17:45:40 | More by Jbats
JCarey

Delaware

3.49/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this because of my previous experience with Ballast. Didn't read the label until I poured it and smelled the curry. Pours like a typical stout, with more of a foamy than creamy head. Leaves a cap and some lacing.

Smell is straight curry. In a good way. My first whiff reminded me of fresh pencil shavings, actually. Definitely some foreign style to this.

The flavors of the curry and earthiness of the cumin come out nicely, with some creamy coconut in the backend, but man is this spicy. I've had a few spicy beers and this one takes the cake. I much prefer my spice on the flavor profile, like what Chipotle gives you, Cayenne is just Cayenne. I'm not getting much lime.

Mouthfeel is on point for high ABV stout, but it's killed by the throat burn.

Overall a good beer, but the Stout just gets crushed by the spiciness.

03-27-2014 19:28:51 | More by JCarey
Beermasterjarrett

2.95/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 into pint drank right before best after 5/13' reviewed from memory

Looks good, like all the stout beers I've had from B.P. Good head from an aggressive poor, burnt red on the rim.

Whoo!! In my face spice and cocoanut, really fun curry and lime brings a whole exotic flavor profile. I'm really diggn this.

Damn. This is pretty nice until my throat catches fire.

Good carb. Slick and creamy. With a little too much heat, IMO.

I really enjoy all the dark offerings I've had the pleasure to enjoy from Ballast, this one not so much. I think I'm just not a spicy/hot beer fan. Atleast not yet.

02-22-2014 06:42:24 | More by Beermasterjarrett
DaniDoesDryHops

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours almost pitch black, with cola colored head, almost non existent/low carb smoothness.

S: Instantly, curry. Upon further inspection, definitely cumin, coconut, and hint of the kaffir..but curry is the dominant note. I couldn't smell the chocolate.

T: Taste is way more balanced. I was expecting a wash of curry, instead got a spicy, even flavor with hints of curry. The dominant taste was definitely the chili powder, followed by the curry, and once it warms up a bit...almost overly sweet coconut. The chocolate doesnt hit until the very end, and I prefer the end notes to the initial sip.

M: Light bodied, but seems to almost thicken to a medium or heavy feel as it warms. Strange. The chili was just enough kick and actually had me sweating a bit, but was a pleasant warmth, not at all uncomfortable or sinus clearing.

O: The was definitely a surprise, a pleasant one. Keep an open mind...and dont watch reviews...I was TERRIFIED before cracking it. I would definitely buy/drink this again, and would especially if I found it on tap. Would have prefered less coconut sweetness, but it isnt offensive. Of all notes, I was surprised that I LOVED the chili kick (generally not a spicy/hot fan)Keep in mind this is a sipping beer, and not at all sessionable. I wouldve prefered it in a regular 12oz, as the bomber was too much between the boyf and I. Couldnt finish it.

02-17-2014 00:11:24 | More by DaniDoesDryHops
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

On tap at the Bier Stein.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, as I pick up chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and a hint of spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but I was completely surprised my the amount of heat in the finish. While I think it's kind of fun, the chili heat is almost too much for me (and I tend to like hot and spicey food), and so it's pretty hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot of this. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but not at all heavy, with a long, heat infused finish.

An interesting beer, for sure, but again, it's hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot o this stuff.

02-14-2014 17:15:55 | More by johnmichaelsen
jkeefe1800

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off by stating that this Ballast Point does exactly what they intended to do with this beer, whether or not that is a good thing is certainly up to some debate. I purchased the bottle on a whim and didn't drink for probably a good month. I poured the bottle into a tulip glass and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it warm up slightly and hopefully open up all of the flavors that made it into the bottle. The smell tells me what I'm about to taste, but not in a way that was very appetizing. It smelled alot like walking into a Indian restaurant lots of curry and spices, a little bit of sweetness, not really how i want my beer to smell. Taste was better the curry, cumin, coconut, and the lime all came through. The best part of the flavors were the balance they complemented each other just like a great food dish. The saving grace was the cayenne though, the heat was just strong enough to take the beer to another level and given some depth. After awhile though as well constructed as it was the novelty wore off and i found myself not wanting to finish it. Overall excellent execution and worth a try but at the end of the day a beer that tastes very much like an Indian dish isn't one I'm going to keep coming back to.

02-10-2014 03:37:53 | More by jkeefe1800
TBoneJones

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours near black, just liquid, no head, little evidence of carbonation.
Smells pleasant enough. Basil immediately, and an exotic spice aroma in a sense that if licorice was exotic. But mostly a minty basil. In fact the smell is exactly like my favorite flavor of gelato: coconut basil.
Wow. Tasting this. Interesting as the flavor resembles the nice aroma, but what a bite! Spicy swallowing this ale. Truly a spicy beer, and the first time I've tasted a brew anything like this. I'm not sure I like this too much, but I certainly appreciate its use of foreign/unorthodox-in-beer ingredients, as well as the alien peppery, coconut-basil-curryish flavor it imparts.
Carbonation seems weak, yet upon swallowing each sip, the sting of this can make you think otherwise.
I understand BP has also made this in a 9% run; I wonder if I'd have dug it more. As for this take, I wouldn't say it's something I'd seek out again. However, I give it credit for being completely unlike any other beer I've ever tried. I enjoyed it just enough.

02-06-2014 23:50:42 | More by TBoneJones
BeerDawgs

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bottle stating limited release with a number of 13,339 on it

A - Pitch black, with gold sediment specs floating on top and throughout the beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Dark grain and loads of Indian spices. Hot!

T - A dry stout up front, but the huge amount of spicy Indian notes come in a second later and really pop in the aftertaste. Spicy and hot! Definitely warms you up. The curry dominates

M - Oily and slick, medium bodied, and lots of carbonation.

O - An interesting brew, and original for sure. But not really my cup of tea. Too spicy for me, but then again I am not crazy on Indian food...so to be expected.

01-29-2014 03:13:19 | More by BeerDawgs
BakerBeer13

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Drinking from a glass poured from the 22 oz. bottle. I think the bottle is maybe a month+ old, which may explain some different experiences I'm having here.

A - Super dark, almost black, little to no head with modest carbonation. Can see small flecks of the spices resting on the top of the beer while light wisps of oily streaks lazily rock across the top of the glass.

S - Before my first taste, lots of lime, spice, and lemon. Later, now that my mouth is tingling from the spices, I am really hit in the face with a delicious chocolaty aroma with a kiss of cumin.

T - I'm not sure how to approach this. My first few tastes were very citrusy at first, followed by that chocolate and vanilla profile. Then, bam, the Indian spices have their way with your tongue, well into the aftertaste. Once my mouth became acclimated to the spice and eased into the pleasant burn, later tastes are much heavier on the Indian-spiced chocolate vibe.

M - Sits even and mellow. Again, the spices start having the way with how this beer sits on your tongue, likely subject to your personal tolerance / preference for Indian spices.

O - Presuming you're interested in the Indian spices, this beer is a must-try, and I suspect it'll be greatly enjoyed. For people more cautious on their attitude toward Indian spices BUT willing to try something different, I suspect they'll also enjoy a pour of this. While the spices dictate a great deal of the entire experience, they are not used stupidly or unabashedly... this is a very balanced experience that happens to hang out with Indian spices. Perhaps the must fun aspect of this beer is just how drastically the drinking experience changes while you come to terms with the spices... fun!

01-28-2014 03:14:16 | More by BakerBeer13
BierJager89

4.49/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer.

01-19-2014 20:42:11 | More by BierJager89
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don't see myself returning to this one, as I don't find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

12-31-2013 16:43:40 | More by Huhzubendah
beerthulhu

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

- Ipa styled export stout brewed with Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, & kaffin lime.

A: Dark bakers chocolate pour produces a 2 finger mocha foam monster of a head. Good show of visible carbonation rushes up along the glass walls. Lace coating is modest 50% coverage rate, spotty.

S: The lime and coconut are first to get noticed with mention of cayenne and cumin. Fresh coconut, leafy greens, with the curry coming on the trail. Some celery stalk and a faint peppery mention. A nice mixture of asian spices, the chocolate and roasted nature a bit more reserved. Spicy, unique.

T: The asian spices come through strongly on the flavor aspect, no subtle hints here, distinct warming of cayenne and curry add that distinct spiciness and flair. Roasted coconut, cumin, fresh greenery, some coffee with a gentle warming of asian spice finish that provides just that right amount of balance, complexity and gentle warmth to the palate for a wintery night sampling.

M: Mouthful had a spicy cayenne sensation on the inner cheeks, as well the tongue. Body is medium full, some gentle dance of carbonation.

O: Overall I gave consideration for its uniquiness and what they were intending to do rather then shoe horn and punish this by style for a more focused attention on the spices then the roasted and coffee nature. An uniquely spiced export stout that highlights the asian induced spices with a very good balance and represenatation. A definite consideration for a one time sampling to try something outside the box.

12-26-2013 15:23:40 | More by beerthulhu
titty_mcbitty

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours like a stout, so I expect it to taste like one (or so I think). Pretty black and not too much head.

S: I can pick up some of that curry spice right away. I can also smell some of the booze and maybe some ginger or pepper.

T: WOW. This is crazy. Not what I was expecting at all. Curry, chili, fizz, pepper, smoke, wood, hops. It's not even that stout-like in my opinion. It's got faint notes of chocolate and sweets, but overall it's dry and spicy all the way. As it warms it gets better and becomes more subtle. Still the same notes in the taste but more blended and less harsh.

M: I think I'll go with medium and some good carb. Not the best, but not bad.

O: I didn't know what to think at first. This beer surly is interesting... I like it. I don't think it's an A beer, but I think it's good. One thing that disappointed me was the misleading style name. I expected more desert and less curry (although I'm a big fan of curry). It was still a good buy though.

12-24-2013 03:06:10 | More by titty_mcbitty
macrosmatic

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, with a thin tan head that fades quickly and no visible carbonation.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on here. Complex and unique. My first thought is Indian food - curry and lime - with some spicy peppers and black pepper, tobacco and musty leather notes like an old book, and just a bit of cacao. This smells a bit like you stuck your head into a spice cabinet. Fascinating, and I can't stop smelling it.

T: Starts with big curry and dark roasted malts - but the curry and spices dominate. Then there's a definite citrus lime flavor in the middle. Near the swallow, there's a cayenne pepper kick that lasts after the swallow and remains noticeable in the esophagus and on the lips. Interesting and tasty, but I'm not sure I could drink an entire bottle.

M: Full-bodied, low carbonation sensation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well, this was exactly what it said was going to be. It was a different and challenging beer for me. Very interesting, and I think I would recommend it for someone looking to try something very different or as a change of pace. Certainly not an everyday drinker.

11-17-2013 20:42:51 | More by macrosmatic
SDBP123

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

This is tough to say, but this is the first beer from Ballast Point I had difficulty drinking. It took me about an hour and a half to swig a 22oz Bottle. That being said, I enjoyed this a lot. I would get it again, but only if I were going to share it with others and have about 4-6 oz of it.

A - Pours black like a typical stout, more of a beige head/foam. When I poured it, I went down the side 3/4 and straight down the middle for the last 1/4 and only got about a half an inch head.

S - Not necessarily an assault on your sinus, but definitely complex and alluring. First thing I can make out is the Cumin, then an undertone of curry and coconut.

T - This is the part I had trouble with. It was a bit too spicy for me. I think the mix of spices and flavors was just brilliant, but I'm addicted to hops, so it was a shock at first. Like the smell I tasted Cumin first. Then the curry came in loud and a bit belligerent. Then only a little bit of lime and a undertone of coconut. I think if the coconut was more powerful, this would have been a much better beer.

M - The best: Smooth and a bit of a bite in the aftertaste.

O - Over all, I'd say this was definitely a sipping beer, and is better suited to be paired with food. I had this on it's own as a night cap and it did the job fine, but I wish I had it with food to see if it exploded any more. Great brewery, nice beer, and I MIGHT try it again.

11-16-2013 00:11:26 | More by SDBP123
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bottle to a snifter

A - Pours black with a small kahki head that vanishes pretty quick. Not a trace of lacing.

S - Fresh cut cedar/pine wood off the initial pour, strong spices, madras curry, cardamom, cumin, black peppercorns, lavender, purfumy.

T - Spices galore, sharp black pepper, cumin, turmeric, madras curry, basil, coriander, there's some chili heat in there as well. There's a salty sharpness in there that cuts through the spice. With the exception of some roasted malts, the spices basically drive the train taking over any other yeast, malt or hop that could be present. Finishes spicy with a solid dose of chili heat left on the palate.

M - Low carbonation, it's thin but heavy liquid, finishes dry and oily with chile heat.

This screams Indian food. If you don't like it, chances are you probably wont like this beer. It's a full on curry spice assault on the palate. Good chili heat as well. The bottle version seems to be hotter in terms of chile spice than on tap. Curry lovers, you have found your beer.

11-09-2013 04:30:18 | More by StaveHooks
Rizalini

Nevada

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a cola brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head. It does fall rather quickly however.

S - The smell is dominated by the curry and coconut. I keep going back and sniffing, but I'm having a hard time identifying any other characteristics.

T/M - WOW, very different. The beginning of this taste experience is the slightly bitter lime, then comes the onslaught of curry and cayenne. The heat is a little intense for me, and the curry is very bold! Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - A very unique taste experience for sure. Personally, this one is a little too much for me, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm judging this based on style and description.

11-08-2013 03:17:57 | More by Rizalini
Flounder57

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle was poured into a large tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: This totally smells like an Indian or Thai dish. Coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Smells great, but missing those traditional export stout flavors.

Taste: It's hard to hate this beer because I love the spices, but the spices make it easy to dislike it also. The heat of the spices overpowers any of the stout flavors.

Mouthfeel: Spicy hot, smooth, not as drinkable as one one like, lingering heat, medium bodied , and medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is a love and hate relationship. I really don't know what to think. I love the beer by the way it tastes, but hate it by the way the taste I'm used to expecting. Where's the stout? Such a strange interesting beer.

11-06-2013 06:00:49 | More by Flounder57
ThickNStout

3.31/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

11-03-2013 06:28:30 | More by ThickNStout
Abe_Froman

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very different beer. There is a lot going on in it. I could taste the curry, cayenne, and lime leaf. its complex and interesting. I found it a nice change of pace and it was fun sorting through all the different flavors. I wouldn't recommend it for every one, but if you are looking for something unusual definitely give it a try.

10-27-2013 06:33:23 | More by Abe_Froman
Samuel906

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

FIrst of all, whether or not you like curry is going to either make or break this beer. Probably not going to be too many "gray area" people on this. You either like curry and coconut and will probably like this beer or not. I do like curry so this beer went over better with me than with some people. Pours dark, looks nice. Taste is lots of curry, lots of cayanne heat, and some silkiness from the coconut. Not really anything traditionally recognizable as beer flavored. Interesting and unique.

10-21-2013 05:39:19 | More by Samuel906
jtierney89

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Very very deep brown near black, two fingers of of tan head. Tons of curry on the nose with faint notes of chili lime and coconut.

Starts like your typical stout with sweet roasted barley malts. Vanilla and chocolate and light roast coffee. Bright citrus acidity explodes on the mid palate followed by a nice coconut flavor. The beer finishes with a big curry presence and a nice heat that lingers in the throat and on the lips.

Somehow this beer works well. It does focus more on the specialty ingredients than the beer flavors themselves but there's enough there to remind you it's a beer. The curry on the nose is overwhelming and can take a bit from the flavor if you get to big of a whiff so I suggest drinking out of a pint or something.curry can be a little overwhelming at times. But a pretty complex beer with waves of cool flavor.

10-11-2013 04:02:27 | More by jtierney89