2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 522 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Rizalini:
Rizalini

Nevada

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a cola brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head. It does fall rather quickly however.

S - The smell is dominated by the curry and coconut. I keep going back and sniffing, but I'm having a hard time identifying any other characteristics.

T/M - WOW, very different. The beginning of this taste experience is the slightly bitter lime, then comes the onslaught of curry and cayenne. The heat is a little intense for me, and the curry is very bold! Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - A very unique taste experience for sure. Personally, this one is a little too much for me, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm judging this based on style and description.

11-08-2013 03:17:57 | More by Rizalini
scottfrie

3.04/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

04-19-2014 02:57:56 | More by scottfrie
Georgiabeer

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

04-18-2014 01:44:38 | More by Georgiabeer

Colorado

04-14-2014 00:42:06 | More by crobinso
bluejacket74

4.13/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

04-12-2014 18:10:04 | More by bluejacket74

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

03-30-2014 13:54:23 | More by ItsBeer4Me
Jbats

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Had this on tap at 3 Wise Monks.
Got a taste of this as it sounded crazy interesting. At first, it was so strange that I was a bit apprehensive and did not think I could drink an entire pint. But once I did I found myself going back for more. Smell is dominated by curry along with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. Taste is so unique, curry again, cocoa, a mild roasted coffee and some heat that does not overwhelm in the finish. The base beer does not drink at all like a foreign stout. It is smooth and slightly malty. So well balanced in flavors. Unfortunately, the coconut and kaffir leaf are almost non-existant. Still an awesome offering by ballast point!

03-28-2014 17:45:40 | More by Jbats
JCarey

Delaware

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this because of my previous experience with Ballast. Didn't read the label until I poured it and smelled the curry. Pours like a typical stout, with more of a foamy than creamy head. Leaves a cap and some lacing.

Smell is straight curry. In a good way. My first whiff reminded me of fresh pencil shavings, actually. Definitely some foreign style to this.

The flavors of the curry and earthiness of the cumin come out nicely, with some creamy coconut in the backend, but man is this spicy. I've had a few spicy beers and this one takes the cake. I much prefer my spice on the flavor profile, like what Chipotle gives you, Cayenne is just Cayenne. I'm not getting much lime.

Mouthfeel is on point for high ABV stout, but it's killed by the throat burn.

Overall a good beer, but the Stout just gets crushed by the spiciness.

03-27-2014 19:28:51 | More by JCarey