Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

---

3/14/15

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07. (1,521 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer. (726 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home. (269 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What an amzingly balanced beer. So many interesting flavors in my mouth. Huge notes of curry and spices finishing with a magical waterfall of coconut. A great beer to share with friends after a nice meal. I'd love to meet the guy who came up with this recipe. (259 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a rather light-bodied brown-black hue, with a very minimal head that forms as a fuzz of mild brown and then almost disappears entirely. No lace, no visible carbonation. I have to say it looks a little underwhelming.

Nose, though: amazing. Buckets of coconut, kaffir lime, turmeric up the wazoo. Some candied orange characters, along with a hint of the depth of the stout. Spicy and sweet, with a richness like wandering through a south-Asian marketplace. It's fresh and bright, and yet dank and deep at the same time, just like a big, rich Indian curry. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Taste is also excellent. Here the spices take the depth a little more seriously, with some of the more earthy tones coming through more strongly. Still lots of turmeric, pepper, kalonji mingled with lighter herbier tones of fenugreek and coriander. Better yet is that the beer rises up to support it, with a solid chocolatey tone on the back. After a while, the pepper character builds up, leaving a pronounced spiciness on the finish, but it's only a suitable effect from the flavours.

Feel is a little too light for my liking: I think it could do with a little bit more body in both the flavour and the palate. That may make this superb.

Overall, I'm very impressed. This is a supremely interesting beer that manages both to do something unique, and to provide a balanced and comprehensive beer experience. Extremely interesting and engaging stuff. (1,486 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

I don't care if you don't like curry, you have to admit this beer is brilliantly made! horrifically underrated here on BA. this pours a radiant inky black color, unsuspicious, and boasting an inch or so of lacy mocha head. the nose is just insane, like dank takeout indian food. there is all of the elements, curry powder, cumin, which is very strong, kaffir lime leaf, which is almost refreshing amidst all the dark roast, and coconut, to sweeten things up. there is also the cayenne, if you take a really hard sniff, it almost burns the nostrils, true to form. the taste is every bit as good as the nose, like exceptional takeout food. the curry is strong, the cumin is fresh, the chili is just in the finish, and the coconut and lime leaf cut through some of the other heavy flavors. I can only imagine how many times they made this beer wrong or out of proportion before they got it right. it certainly is dialed now, seriously fantastic. the mix of flavors here is like nothing I would have ever expected in a beer. I have to say, a whole bottle would have been too much, and im not sure im in a hurry to find this again, but what a wonderful treat to get to try such a creative and artfully crafted bottle of beer. this is really something special, and it puts the countless spiced beers to shame. you wont believe this beer until you taste it! (1,350 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An obviously polarizing brew, but if you're a bit of a foodie, or if you otherwise enjoy pungent spices and heat, this is your brew. For me, it's brilliant, but buyer beware indeed. (181 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Small Bar, poured into pint glass

A: Black, opaque, dark brown head. Small patches of lacing stick to the glass.

S: Good lord, what a unique nose. Complete spice overload. Cumin and chili prominent, the brew gives off notes of licorice and curry and about half of your spice rack.

T: The curry plays a much bigger role than I the nose, and the brew gives off a lot of heat, but in balance. Cumin, paprika, nutmeg bounce around. Subtle notes of vanilla and unsweetened chocolate fall out, and a touch of hop astringency. Amazingly, everything works.

M: Medium comexioun, slightly creamy. (603 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, dark brown--nearly opaque black in appearance; nice foamy head. Intense aroma of peppermint and mint; bitter chocolate; curry. Flavor hammers home the curry and hot, spicy character; Amaretto and hazelnuts; vanilla. Medium body, leaning towards the heavy side of things.

Now, I'm digging the initial curry aroma...and after a sip--wow! Peppery, high octane curry heat!! This most definitely is a love it/hate it type of beer. Personally, I love chile beers and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley. There's nothing subtle about this beast, yet it's entirely approachable if you enjoy a good, spicy, heat-generating beverage. Unique and approachable for those with an open-mind... (691 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very hard beer to review. To my knowledge, no one has ever brewed a beer with curry. It sounds like a risky idea at best.

We'll start with the obvious. This beer tastes like curry, and it's not subtle. You can smell it right away, but the taste dominates the palate. I like curry, so this isn't a bad thing. It would be easy to say that the curry flavor dominates the flavor profile, but the term "curry" has more than one definition. "Curry" is both a specific spice as well as a combination of flavors. If you order a curry dish at a restaurant, it will contain curry leaf as well as things like cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime.

From wikipedia: Curry is the generic English term primarily employed in Western culture to denote a wide variety of dishes whose origins are in Indian cuisine and Southeast Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian or Fijian. Their common feature is the incorporation of more or less complex combinations of spices and/or herbs, usually (but not invariably) including fresh or dried hot chillies.

This beer tastes like an authentic Indian meal. The flavor combination of this particular beer is very well balanced if you understand what curry really means. It's a tough thing to explain, but I hope I've done a decent job.

The beer is very dry, like a good stout should be. The hops are more subtle than I thought they would be, and that works just fine to let the unique flavors shine.

Easily one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. This is a drink that appeals to both the beer lover and foodie in me. I'm not always into beers with crazy flavors, but Indra Kunindra is mind-boggling and one of a kind. It's not often that a beer will blow my mind anymore; i've tried many. The best thing about this beer is the risk taken in releasing it. For $10 a bottle, a beer had better be something special. This could have been a giant train-wreck, but instead it raises the bar of what's possible in brewing. (2,006 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stoked to try this!

Served in a Port City snifter.

A: Poured black as night and with no head whatsoever. Lots of particles floating around in the beer though. Curious.

S: Holy crap this is a curry bomb! Along with the cumin, coconut, and Kaffir lime, to say this is "India-style" is an understatement.

T: Not for all tastes, for sure. If you hate these spices, this won't be your thing. It's amazing that you can taste each and every one of these spices. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

M: Just enough carbonation to be dangerous, and I really dug the milkiness added by the coconut. That especially rounded out the finish... while the cumin burns the back of your throat!

O: Come one peeps, you know you love this beer! The most unique brew of 2013 so far. I'd have it again. (771 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Aromas of malty curry. Absolutely no other way to describe that! Vanilla curry that melts into a roasted oatiness. Moderate hops that are relatively low bitterness. Finish is thick with a mild coffee aftertaste. The curry is strong in this one and lives up to my expectations. (276 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It might just be the chef in me but I thought the curry balance was spot in with everything. As a taster this is great, but 12 oz of this would be tough. (153 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Basin Pub in Bushnell's Basin, NY.

Holy shit, what a weird beer.

Pours a fairly dark black, with a small quarter inch tan head, and a good amount of lacing.

The aroma on this one? Wow. It really does smell like spicy curry. Somehow in my mind I thought they were lying or something and this would just be a nice regular stout. Nope. There's curry powder, cayenne pepper, and chocolate, all miraculously working together.

The taste is also pretty good, surprisingly. This is far from something I could drink a ton of, 4 oz is just enough. There's a distinct and delicious curry powder flavor, and cumin, as well, up front, buried by chocolate and hot peppers. The pepper flavor lingers for a while, and is actually quite spicy. I get a little bit of coconut on some sips too, but not on all of them. Against all odds, this tastes good. I'm really impressed with the beer's ability to make put flavors together in a beer that should never be there, and actually make the flavors work.

This one is medium bodied, with a dry, spicy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's a slow sipper, due to the intensity of the unusual flavors.

This really worked. I'm quite impressed with Ballast Point. Is it something I could drink all day? No, not at all. Should everybody try at least a little bit? Definitely. (1,329 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Since I liked Stone Spicy Chai, it wasn't a surprise that the flavor combination really worked for me. The smooth flavor of the coconut nicely balanced out the latter sharp taste of cayenne, curry, and cumin. When tasting the coconut, the base stout flavors really come out. Ballast Point does make outstanding porters and stouts.

I started with a taster at Ballast Point Miramar, ordered a pint, and ended up purchasing a bottle! (431 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle purchased at Carolina Blue in Pitman, NJ. Thank you, Karl.
Karl gifted my friends and I with this on xmas eve, where I gifted my friends with tickets to Mumford and Sons. I purchased 5-6 bottles for future consumption after having this.
Poured into a standard pint glass.

AP: Not much of a head upon pouring this one, which means little carbonation, the way I prefer my Stouts. Black colour with some sediment suspended in the liquid.
AR: Coconut, lime, curry spice, , chocolate, roasted grains/malts. Very intriguing and inviting.
T: You wouldn't think the combination of curry, coconut, Kaffir lime, cayenne and cumin would work in a Stout but it does. Don't know how Ballast Point does it, but am so glad they do. You can taste each individual flavour in this brew, with the addition of chocolate and black bread. Very tasty and enticing. A nice spicy warmth to this beer that makes it the perfect Winter night sipper, or any cool (rainy) night for that matter.
M: TBH, a bit light for a Stout with some bubbly carbonation up front, but a decent creamy mouth feel and a tongue-coating sticky finish of the spicy flavours.
OV: Very very enjoyable. One of my favourites to drink either by itself or to pair with food. Again, don't know how Ballast Point managed to get all these flavours to blend and work together, but they did. So much flavour here if you're a both a beer geek and foodie who appreciates things 'outside the box'. Seems a couple reviewers didn't get the aspect BP was going for. (1,512 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

A CURRY stout??? As a Indian curry lover, I cant wait.

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a inky black; not a mote of light shining through this bad boy. One finger light brown head. Both head and lacing fade to nearly nothing over time.

S - Whoa. Pugent aroma of curry spice, chile pepper, cumin, and lime. Intense.

T - Taste matches the nose exactly, with a very rich curry flavor (cumin, coconut, ginger, tumeric, and lime) Spice hits like a freight train, and the heat slowly builds to powerful intensity. Not for the faint of heart! Slightest hint of milk stout sweetness comes out in the aftertaste as it warms, but really it's barely a beer....it's curry in a glass.

M - Both medium low body and carbonation. Compliments the taste well.

O - Intense, flavorful, and unique. Somehow it all comes together. If I had a complaint it would be that there's very little of the base beer here, and certainly not many characteristics of a stout. Definitely a sipper due to the spice, and a beer you really have to be in the mood for. That said, it is masterfully done, and a must try for fans of hot Indian or Thai curries. (1,144 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with mahogany highlights at the edges. Half finger light brown head dissipated slowly to a ring around the glass with light lacing. Interesting aroma of sweet dark malt, coconut and pepper with hints of curry and cocoa. Flavor is also unusual; coconut is instantly obvious on the start, with sweet and roasted malt, chocolate, immediately covered with peppery spices. Finishes peppery and spicy with the heat clearly from hot pepper and not from hops. The spices definitely dominate most of the taste of this stout, but the body, while not intense, supports the spicy flavors. Medium bodied with a bit of creaminess. I like this quite a bit and enjoyed the whole bomber in one evening. Not for the hot pepper and/or coconut adverse. I would pick this up again if it was available. (Please come to Washington, Ballast Point!). (893 characters)

On tap at the Scripps Ranch location

A: Black with a very thin dark brown head.

S: Good lord. Huge aromatic curry notes. To me it smelled like a Thai yellow curry. Coconut milk, cumin and spices. Amazing.

T: Lots of curry upfront with some coconut following. The finish brings a bit of roasted malts and powdered chocolate. I didn't think this beer was going to work, but somehow they pulled it off. Not sure I would want a full pint of this, but I'm glad I got to try it. (475 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Pours a dark brown-black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head atop. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts with curry powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, kaffir lime, coconut, and a touch of cinnamon.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts with some curry powder, coconut, and kaffir lime. Through the middle, the cayenne and cumin come through with some cinnamon and other spices. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate malts, cayenne, cumin, curry powder, and kaffir lime.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very interesting blend of curry spices in the export stout. Good overall balance with great complexity. (792 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily. (1,395 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

A - black with a short-lived, off white head

S - curry, cumin

T - curry, cumin, lime, faint toasted coconut, light cayenne bite in the finish, light acidity

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp

A+ for uniqueness. Overall A. Really a solid beer with a tremendous flavor profile. This isn't a beer I could drink a lot of due to fatigue, but it is very enjoyable in small (bomber sized) quantites. This is very well balanced and very drinkable. This would be great with a meal or as a meal. You should definitely check it out. (546 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Love the aroma of this one. It helps that I love Indian food, I suppose. Curry and cocunut in the nose, both prominent in the taste, with the right amount of lingering heat from the cayenne.

Wish this was available in six packs, I would buy it often. (253 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Jet black with a beautiful khaki tan head, some sediment fallen and collected at the bottom of my glass, a water goblet. The nose was molasses and booze, with an extra unexpected scent, a smell of sweet coconut curry. I loved the taste of this! Vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and sweet coconut curry immediately followed by a spicy chile burn at the back of the palate that lingers through the finish. As the beer warmed the flavors became even more intense and accessible. The chile spice gave me a bit of heartburn to be honest. The mouthfeel was very pleasing, well carbonated with a medium thick mouthfeel that coated the palate without being oily. I highly recommend this to every craft beer lover as this is a truly unique brew, and done well. (752 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Love this beer. To this day, this is the only beer I have drank, and threw up as the first beer of the night because I drank it too fast like an idiot. Be forewarned, this is a true sipping beer, to be drank with food. It is spicy, and complex. Keep that in mind, and you will get along great with this one-of-a-kind brew! (323 characters)

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company