Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,070

This might have been the worst attempt at any beverage in the history of man. The mouthfeel (though spit up almost on consumption) was mouth full of spices that were balanced as if a deaf, dumb, blind, mute, Ethiopian wonderer grabbed a cabinet full of random dirt & attempted to make curry. The taste was 1 half sip away from vomitus. The appearance is as dark as night with a light stout head which is its only upside. I'm a US Marine & beer snob I'm quite aware, but I would not serve this "swill" to ISIS militants. That is how bad this product is. BP you are a top tier beer producer but on this you failed miserably. Please for the love of all beer drinkers everywhere take this urine off the shelves.

Appearance - Looks like any other normal stout, it's difficult to get a low appearance, just know they can be deceiving!

Smell - Curry, spice, I'm in an Indian restaurant drinking the pungent air

Taste - HUGE hit of spice and heat, cumin, masala?, almost a saltiness, savory beer

Feel - Almost painful, raw, overpowered

Overall - Folks have given this 5/5's, which don't exist for their grapefruit/habanero IPA.. which I LOVE. I thought that, after their habanero, this would just be the next step, unfortunately we just don't click. I see comments like "oh well if you don't like this, stick to Bud Lite". Get out of here. This is such a uniquely crafted beer, perhaps my palate will appreciate it in time, but as for now it just seems like a risk that didn't pay off. Take the money you'd spend on this and try any/all other B.P. brews before this, only then would I suggest taking the dive. Will revisit in time, 1/5.

1.17/5  rDev -69.1%

I've never had a beer I couldn't finish. Smell and taste are awful.. very over powering..however I still think ballast point is one of the best breweries in the nation in terms of quality

1.22/5  rDev -67.8%

I truly enjoy stouts. That being said, I would recommend finding something else to try. Ordinarily I wouldn't even take the time of day to write a review about any consumer goods. However, I felt that it was my duty as a human being to warn my fellow man about this god awful abomination. DON'T FUCKING BUY THIS BEER. It is without a doubt the worst purchase I have made in regards to an alcoholic beverage. Curry is not a flavor you want in beer. I don't care how much you like Indian food. You would be better off licking the ball sack of a homeless man from Deli. I drank less than 3 Oz. of this brew and am still burping up an awful tasting blend of cinnamon, cumin and curry even as I type this review. WASTE OF MONEY

1.29/5  rDev -66%

Doopie brought this one out on beer night a few weeks back. Alrighty then...

From a bomber into a snifter
Basically described as an Indian curry in beer form

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour yields a one finger, thinner, foamy, light tan head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a full wisp. Clear bistre brown with higher levels of carbonation. A ring and slight wisp remain leaving no real lacing on the glass. Quite light, foamy and carbonated for the style.

SMELL: Nasty. I guess Indian curry is what they wanted, but why in the name of _____ would someone want that? Lots of curry and cumin all over the place. A bit of coconut and chocolate try to fight their way through, but it’s dominated by the Indian spices. Basically liquid curry.

TASTE: What the hell. Whoever thought of this should be fired immediately. Don’t waste any time and start firing. Awful. Lots of curry and cumin spices up front with harsh and hot finish dominated by heat and spices. The horror just doesn’t quit. Again, mass firings should be the only publicized result of this endeavor. This burns and burns hard. We should consider blaming this brew for various ill-advised decisions our world leaders have made and will make concerning the running and administration of our planet, as well as every disastrous consequences of a major military operation since WWI. Even with this, we’re letting Indra off easy.

PALATE: Slightly thinner body and medium levels of carbonation. Half creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a big burn and rake to the back of the throat at the swallow and finishes with piles of spicy heat. Hot and hot just lingers forever. Reminds me of hot curry madness.

OVERALL: *Shrugs shoulders* As if someone would ever do this on purpose. To be sure, I actually like Indian food and can appreciate a touch more heat than your average bear, but this is probably the most exact and accurate representation of “mistake” in physical form on the planet. I can picture the beards sitting around and debating whether they should release this beer or not… “Well, this sucks, but we need to sell it, and since the vast majority of our other beers are pretty awesome, enough people will give us the benefit of the doubt and buy a bottle so we can sell it all, then they’ll try it and hate it, but they won’t give up on us because of the other awesome stuff.” Well, okay, you’re right. You guys are great, but this… the only logical consequence from this is extreme firings. Extreme mass firings.

1.36/5  rDev -64.1%

I should have read reviews before buying this. I'm clearly in the group of people who shouldn't have bought this. Maybe not the worst beer I've ever had but it's not a concoction I'll ever have again. Straight curry in my opinion.

1.39/5  rDev -63.3%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

1.39/5  rDev -63.3%

As a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts I had to give this a try.
VERY strong on the curry...I am not a fan of curry.
This tasted like Gandi took a dump in an Old Rasputin.
Unless you really like Indian food and the spices used in it then stay away from this poison.

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

There aren’t many things I regret in this life, but tasting this beer is one of them. Too overpowering and the aftertaste stays with you FOR-EV-ER!!! Tried chasing it down with some high quality H2O, but no luck. F- grade beer. Let's never speak of this beer again.

1.81/5  rDev -52.2%

As someone recently returning from a trip to Mumbai, I was definitely intrigued by this brew and not one afraid of Indian spices. The concept of this beer is actually quite brilliant, but the execution falls horribly short.

On the first sip the kaffir lime is extremely overwhelming and remains so throughout. Cayenne is the second flavor present. I want to stop there for a second... in cuisine, it these two flavors are leading the pack in a dish, would you eat it? Cumin arrives third on the palette, but the sourness and spice of the lime have already ruined the party by that point.

Because of the above, this beer is literally unpalatable. At around ten bucks, that hurts more than your typical new brew gone bad.

If they ever do it again, I hope they ditch the lime, the cayenne, and stick to more classical indian spices like coriander, cumin, and clove (especially clove... really really missing in this brew). There was also no sweetness to offset the bitterness of the lime and the heat of the cayenne... if they searched for a more umami flavor from by bringing in cinnamon and maybe cardamom this beer could have really worked.

I like this idea of a masala spiced beer, but this one is not it. Ballast Point, usually a huge fan but you owe me a Seamonster after this one...

2.14/5  rDev -43.5%

On initial opening and pouring, I really got the smell of hard cedar and redwood. The taste is very much so, with huge hints of southeastern asian flavors. A very spicy beer with the slight stouty taste as the finish. I didn't like this beer and probably will not buy again.

2.24/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Are you bored with all the great beer on the market today? Do you want to drink a spicy sludge? Here you go. Love the Ballast Point Sculpin and it's grapefruit offspring but this is not something for me. It's definitely different and interesting but I like beer.

2.4/5  rDev -36.7%

On-tap at the brewery tasting room, served in a taster glass.

A - dark brown with a bit of foamy tan colored head. Head retention was good.

S - Smells actually quite nice, a toasty bready malt, chocolate, and some curry power. It works for the nose, not for the taste...

T - Awful. Fuck. I hate this so much. Take a normal medium body stout taste, but then add some spicyness from peppers and curry powder. It sounded good but tastes like a muddled mess and burns your tongue. The curry and pepper taste is so overpowering that it just ruins any other nice flavors that are going on in the background.

M - Mouthfeel is medium body and medium carbonation. Slightly slick, but mostly just burning and unpleasant flavor.

O - I don't like this at all. It does have some redeeming factors, but I couldn't drink 2oz of this beer.

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured from a bomber into a tasting glass.

A: Clear, dark brown color with absolutely no foam head. Pale particulate matter is scattered on the surface.

S: Exotic lime is herbaceous and citrusy, while turmeric-centered curry powder plays an accessory role. Recognizable beer qualities are lacking.

T: Begins dry, with dusty untoasted garum masala and nutty coconut that persists throughout. Heat develops into the middle and grows on the palate over time.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, hot on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Although unconventional, this spiced stout is appealing--at a distance. The smell is very interesting, savory, with no indication of the messy and unbalanced flavor to come. Heat is a problem, quickly escalating to an undrinkable level. After setting this beer aside as a beverage, it was able to redeem itself in remarkable fashion as a cooking ingredient.

2.44/5  rDev -35.6%

Hardest review I have ever written here, and please reserve me the right to update these comments in the near future. MMMmmm,...,....yuck,....omg, auguh! Try it again. Not much different reaction. This stuff requires some heavily spiced eastern food that can fight back. So, I give this every point from 0-5, all over the place, this is unique. It is more like a spicy marinade I make for kebobs on the bbq than something I intend to drink. Clever, spicy, surprising, I give it a 1-5 point spread, you are gonna hate it or love it and there ain't no place inbetween! I will bbq with this tomorrow as my marinade for tri-tip and I am sure it is going to be awesome.

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

It is what is advertised. Curry up front, coconut after taste. And cayenne just burning the back of your tongue. It delivers as advertised and is respectable but not what i enjoy out of a stout.

2.49/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes/smells like coconut thai curry, a bit spicy. Interesting, but not at all what I look for in a beer. The first sip was a bit jarring, but mellowed out as I became acclimated. Overspiced for my taste. Sorry BP, your IPA offerings are in my top 5.

2.5/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty bad as expected. Curry is one of the worst tastes on earth. The coconut makes it almost tolerable but doesn't work for me. Worth a try once then never again.

2.54/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I fail to see the humor in this one. It looks fine, though, with the usual touch of foam on the dark brown brew poured in a Duvel glass.

The odor hits you before you get the glass to your lips. And that's the best feature of this stuff. Coconut and curry. The taste is just an intensified curry with blow torch of heat to take care of any taste buds remaining functional. The initial foam subsides quickly to an oily sheen in the glass, with zero lacing. The slight prickly carbonation on the tongue morphs into a bitter burn. On top of everything, the hoppy bitterness adds to the pain. Acidic finish.

I realize there plenty of coffee and raspberry flavored beers in the Stout categories, but why isn't this a Herbed/Spiced beer? You could only rate the spice flavors, which are totally heavy-handed, not the fleeting beeriness. From the 22 oz bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

I was drawn in by all the bizarre additives, but should have known better. The smell is all curry and cumin. Taste is much the same, but the cayenne heat is present as well. Not much stout flavor, just lots of spice. Overall a regrettable purchase.

2.86/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells great but the curry taste is just too overwhelming for me. I like Indian food, I like stouts, so I thought I'd like a curry stout. I was wrong.

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of spiced beers, took a sip and ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It does have a complex flavor of spices but it is almost too much to handle when drinking. It felt like I was drinking Indian food. I am sure that was something they were trying to emulate, but it just didn't taste right to me.

2.96/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks like a decent enough stout when I poured it, smells like roasted dark malts, chocolate... and Curry. Lots and lots of curry. When I tasted it, the curry was so overwhelming my brain couldn't process many other flavors. I got chocolate and dark malts up front, but then the curry spice completely took over. Seemed like a lighter body with higher carbonation than an average stout, but the spices in this one were just too much for me. Seems like I was drinking an Indian dish, very strange...

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 into pint drank right before best after 5/13' reviewed from memory

Looks good, like all the stout beers I've had from B.P. Good head from an aggressive poor, burnt red on the rim.

Whoo!! In my face spice and cocoanut, really fun curry and lime brings a whole exotic flavor profile. I'm really diggn this.

Damn. This is pretty nice until my throat catches fire.

Good carb. Slick and creamy. With a little too much heat, IMO.

I really enjoy all the dark offerings I've had the pleasure to enjoy from Ballast, this one not so much. I think I'm just not a spicy/hot beer fan. Atleast not yet.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company