2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 524 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
fullmetal1381

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Feel compelled to do the full review thing here; this brew knocked me for a loop.

A: It has that "really really dark brown as opposed to midnight black" thing that other-than-monstrous stouts seem to have. Can't see through it, but it's not quite the ebon void of deep space, either.

S: I've heard others claim it smells just like Indian curry. They aren't lying. I'm officially scared. What have I gotten myself into?

T: Wow. This is how you do savory spices in a beer. Just enough chocolatey sweetness to balance the curry, cumin, and cayenne. Speaking of cayenne, it's quite noticeable in the finish, but in more of a "hey, there was pepper in what you just ingested. Just thought you should know" way as opposed to a "so this is what pain tastes like" feeling.

M: I am a BIG fan of cake-batter-thick stouts, so I'm forced to mark this down even as I acknowledge that this spice blend probably wouldn't work in a 40-weight brew.

O: I really liked this beer, but then again I also like Indian curry, naan bread, samosas, and certain Bollywood flicks, so your mileage may vary. I say pick it up.

06-20-2013 05:28:39 | More by fullmetal1381
Jbats

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this on tap at 3 Wise Monks.
Got a taste of this as it sounded crazy interesting. At first, it was so strange that I was a bit apprehensive and did not think I could drink an entire pint. But once I did I found myself going back for more. Smell is dominated by curry along with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. Taste is so unique, curry again, cocoa, a mild roasted coffee and some heat that does not overwhelm in the finish. The base beer does not drink at all like a foreign stout. It is smooth and slightly malty. So well balanced in flavors. Unfortunately, the coconut and kaffir leaf are almost non-existant. Still an awesome offering by ballast point!

03-28-2014 17:45:40 | More by Jbats
bluejacket74

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

04-12-2014 18:10:04 | More by bluejacket74
phishgator

4.14/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well it's interesting to say at least. A stout by color and maybe malts, but I would say the body was a bit more like a dark ale. The spices of cinnamon and curry dominate the flavor profile. There is a root beer/licorice quality that develops as the beer warms. Carbonation is low. I think that it is worth a try as it is truly a unique brew.

07-01-2013 18:34:04 | More by phishgator
carlitos92

4.14/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first full review, so give me a break already. :P

Bomber opened on 9/20/2013 and served in a St. Arnold's pint glass.

Appearance is dark and opaque, but not very viscous. Light khaki head, less than a finger, that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is not as strong as I'd heard it might be. Not much giving away the unbridled spicefest within.

Taste is quite complex, running in phases like some kind of magical Willy Wonka candy. The spiciness catches you by surprise, then burns, along with lime, and then... coconut? VERY interesting. Best execution of coconut in a beer that I've had. Not subtle, but not displeasurable, either.

Mouthfeel is a little thin (but then again, I seek out things like Oatmeal Yeti, which you need a fork to drink). Alcohol is there and will bruise you harder than you would think for 7.00% ABV, but is well-hidden by the chile.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, and would get it again just to foster this kind of freakiness among brewers. Not scary or off-putting at all. I think it would go quite well with sushi or Chinese takeaway.

09-20-2013 23:08:59 | More by carlitos92
thecheapies

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Milky black, which is to say that it's opaque. Just a small ring of foam. I guess it doesn't want to sit too well in a pint glass. Even the ring eventually disappears. Looks like flat cola now.

Holy shit. That's a hell of a nose. Let me give this a shot. Other than the fact that it smells like a sweet chicken curry dish, I'm gonna try to break it down. First off... okay, I'm just going to name what comes to mind in descending order. Cumin, lemongrass, lime, coconut, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coriander, dark roasty malts, chocolate, nutmeg, and a savory staleness to finish it off. No hops, just a dull earthiness. Over-the-top umami. Love the Kaffir lime addition. Totally unreal nose. One of the most impressive noses on a beer that I've ever experienced. Do you think they nailed it???

First sip... ... ...

I'm a little speechless...

Taste follows the nose, but with the heat added. Curry powder, hot chili powder, cumin, sweet lime, vanilla, cinnamon, lemongrass, coconut water, chocolate mole, minerally roast grain, nutmeg and mulling spices, dried banana, musty earthiness, and cayenne pepper. Looking for a complex beer? Ha! This one is ree-dic. A nice level 6 or 7 spice, according to a cook at a Thai restaurant. Export Stout? Sure! Whatever you say! I swear, I'd like to eat this beer for dinner three or four times a month. I think this tastes great enough to give it a 4.5.

Thin. The flavors carry out better that way, perhaps. Still, I'd like a little more body than a flaccid and semi-flat watery juice beer. I guess with a recipe like this, you don't need to pay attention to all the details? Still, it suffers here.

I'm starting to second-guess what I look for in an Export Stout. Maybe they should all taste like authentic Indian curry and have a bite that stings. Spicy? I like. Savory? I like. This is a beer that I need to stock up (at least, in this household). My girlfriend calls this the best beer she has EVER had. I disagree, but it might not be too far off. I'm a sucker. Ballast Point nailed it and no one can take that away from them. You're a bold-faced liar if you think this could've been much better. Do you like Indian food? Do you crave the strange and the exotic? C'mon now folks, not much noticeable booze and the idea becomes fruition. Invent a style for a beer like this, and it's a record that will never be broken. So good.

06-24-2013 02:55:57 | More by thecheapies
Greywulfken

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

A: into a snifter large, dark brown pour yields black body of beer with a finger of tan head

S: dark roasted malt and Indian-style spices

T: like a chile stout, throughout the dark malt's espresso-ish flavors, tons of smoky cumin, stinging cayenne, and curry; hints of sweet coconut and drying lime flavors

M: light and smooth but the stinging nettles of hot cayenne pepper will either delight you or puit you off, depending on your tastes for such things

O: as fas as I'm concerned, this is a chile stout - and I really like that kind of thing, but I also understand that others may not - the cayenne is very dominant, accented with smoke and lime, and underscored by the dark stout malts and their respective flavors.

04-27-2013 23:47:14 | More by Greywulfken
Fuzzycranium

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

wonderful to find this one hidden in the cooler. Appearance is opaque with minimal head. Aroma definately has curry and coconut. Decent lacing. Taste on the front is is slightly roasted moving quickly into cumin, curry with a very warming affect. Overall I am very impressed and look forward to drinking more in the winter.

09-15-2013 01:33:53 | More by Fuzzycranium
ehammond1

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Near black in color with a wispy, thin light brown head. Spots of lacing left down the glass.

One of the more interesting noses on a beer, period. The initial blast of authentic curry is surprising yet welcome, and it pairs well with sweet and earthy coconut and vanilla aromatics. There's a bit of traditional roast elements throughout, as well.

The flavors are evolving and changing, both in the glass as the beer warms, and simply throughout the sip and swallow. The curry is ever-present, though the coconut and vanilla, with a hint of citrus, make themselves more and more accessible as the beer warms. There's also a lingering, spicy heat that stays for a while in the back of the throat. Interesting and delicious.

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation.

After sampling this beer a couple times from the tap, and then eventually out of the bottle, it easily became one of my favorite new releases of 2011. That being said, I would always want help from a few friends when opening a 22oz. bottle.

10-20-2011 19:58:03 | More by ehammond1
WillCarrera

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

On-tap at Ballast Point's Old Grove location. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black with a finger of brown head, leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Aroma is incredible. Lots of very vibrant spices, picking up on cumin, cayenne pepper, also sweet curry and coconut. Excellent blend of spice, coconut/curry sweetness and chocolate.

T- Flavor follows pretty closely, but doesn't maintain the same level of curry and coconut awesomeness, although the cumin, cayenne and curry do come through pretty well. Has some nice chocolate flavor and lingering heat, not overly spicy though.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth feel, mild spicy burn but nothing severe.

O- An absolutely awesome chili/curry stout, I've had chili beers before, but nothing that a) also incorporated curry and coconut and b) did it very well. It was also very drinkable, I polished off an 8 oz pour with no problem at all. This beer is a real treat to drink.

06-23-2012 02:49:00 | More by WillCarrera
shand

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty.

07-06-2013 02:26:44 | More by shand
FosterJM

4.23/5  rDev +14%

1284th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
22oz

Thanks to GuruDel for this one.

App- A dark brown pour bordering on black with some garnet edges. A 2 finger semi brown head fell quickly and left no cling or lace behind.

Smell- Pure milk chocolate on the nose. No malty backbone just liquid diabetes. The coconut and the cumin come next. That was about it. Those flavors dominate the aromatics.

Taste- Chocolate, vanilla and coconut open this up and then oh wait hello mr. spice. My lips are now tingling from the curry and the cumin. Very well layered and balanced without the spices dominating. Alot going on in the last 1/2 of the bottle but works really well.

Mouth- A creamy medium body with a low/medium carbonation. Makes my lips tingles from the spices and the chocolate/coconut flavors remain.

Drink- Unique, layered, semi balanced. The coconut spice was a good combo for me. Very flavorful.

05-13-2012 23:06:43 | More by FosterJM
neuromancer9k

Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev +14%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last.

12-08-2012 16:21:53 | More by neuromancer9k
KVNBGRY

4.29/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know!

08-31-2013 04:08:10 | More by KVNBGRY
MrVonzipper

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for this bottleshare.

Black with a 1cm light brown head. Medium retention and light lacing.

Straight earthy cumin, faints kaffir lime leaf and mildly spicy curry. Which I love.

Wow. Crazy different flavor. Alot going on Vanilla, kaffir lime, curry, cumin. Mild spice linger. The dark malt with the cumin creates a Kind of minty character as well. Very cool flavor.

Medium bodied. Mildly Spicy. Earthy with high carb.

Overall this is a very Cool amazing different kind of beer very well executed. Don't drink this if you Don't like Curry, Cumin, Thai and or Indian food because you won't like this. Its a great, fun beer. A must try if you like these kind of flavors!

10-17-2011 04:24:09 | More by MrVonzipper
UCLABrewN84

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

On tap at the ColLAboration beer fest at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy tan head that settles to a thin film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, coconut, curry spice, and lemongrass. Taste is very much the same with a spicy finish after each sip. Very tasty stuff. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good stout with some awesome Indian food elements added into it. A real surprise for me.

02-27-2012 05:06:55 | More by UCLABrewN84
notchucknorris

On tap at the Scripps Ranch location

A: Black with a very thin dark brown head.

S: Good lord. Huge aromatic curry notes. To me it smelled like a Thai yellow curry. Coconut milk, cumin and spices. Amazing.

T: Lots of curry upfront with some coconut following. The finish brings a bit of roasted malts and powdered chocolate. I didn't think this beer was going to work, but somehow they pulled it off. Not sure I would want a full pint of this, but I'm glad I got to try it.

07-21-2011 23:27:55 | More by notchucknorris
LiquidAmber

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with mahogany highlights at the edges. Half finger light brown head dissipated slowly to a ring around the glass with light lacing. Interesting aroma of sweet dark malt, coconut and pepper with hints of curry and cocoa. Flavor is also unusual; coconut is instantly obvious on the start, with sweet and roasted malt, chocolate, immediately covered with peppery spices. Finishes peppery and spicy with the heat clearly from hot pepper and not from hops. The spices definitely dominate most of the taste of this stout, but the body, while not intense, supports the spicy flavors. Medium bodied with a bit of creaminess. I like this quite a bit and enjoyed the whole bomber in one evening. Not for the hot pepper and/or coconut adverse. I would pick this up again if it was available. (Please come to Washington, Ballast Point!).

05-12-2012 03:13:16 | More by LiquidAmber
ngeunit1

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Pours a dark brown-black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head atop. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts with curry powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, kaffir lime, coconut, and a touch of cinnamon.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts with some curry powder, coconut, and kaffir lime. Through the middle, the cayenne and cumin come through with some cinnamon and other spices. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate malts, cayenne, cumin, curry powder, and kaffir lime.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very interesting blend of curry spices in the export stout. Good overall balance with great complexity.

09-15-2012 05:03:09 | More by ngeunit1
tdm168

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A - black with a short-lived, off white head

S - curry, cumin

T - curry, cumin, lime, faint toasted coconut, light cayenne bite in the finish, light acidity

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp

A+ for uniqueness. Overall A. Really a solid beer with a tremendous flavor profile. This isn't a beer I could drink a lot of due to fatigue, but it is very enjoyable in small (bomber sized) quantites. This is very well balanced and very drinkable. This would be great with a meal or as a meal. You should definitely check it out.

11-21-2012 02:31:21 | More by tdm168
ummswimmin

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily.

11-24-2012 15:42:57 | More by ummswimmin
Aaron_Ramson

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Jet black with a beautiful khaki tan head, some sediment fallen and collected at the bottom of my glass, a water goblet. The nose was molasses and booze, with an extra unexpected scent, a smell of sweet coconut curry. I loved the taste of this! Vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and sweet coconut curry immediately followed by a spicy chile burn at the back of the palate that lingers through the finish. As the beer warmed the flavors became even more intense and accessible. The chile spice gave me a bit of heartburn to be honest. The mouthfeel was very pleasing, well carbonated with a medium thick mouthfeel that coated the palate without being oily. I highly recommend this to every craft beer lover as this is a truly unique brew, and done well.

12-20-2012 06:39:55 | More by Aaron_Ramson
GuinnessAtRogerWilco

4.34/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle purchased at Carolina Blue in Pitman, NJ. Thank you, Karl.
Karl gifted my friends and I with this on xmas eve, where I gifted my friends with tickets to Mumford and Sons. I purchased 5-6 bottles for future consumption after having this.
Poured into a standard pint glass.

AP: Not much of a head upon pouring this one, which means little carbonation, the way I prefer my Stouts. Black colour with some sediment suspended in the liquid.
AR: Coconut, lime, curry spice, , chocolate, roasted grains/malts. Very intriguing and inviting.
T: You wouldn't think the combination of curry, coconut, Kaffir lime, cayenne and cumin would work in a Stout but it does. Don't know how Ballast Point does it, but am so glad they do. You can taste each individual flavour in this brew, with the addition of chocolate and black bread. Very tasty and enticing. A nice spicy warmth to this beer that makes it the perfect Winter night sipper, or any cool (rainy) night for that matter.
M: TBH, a bit light for a Stout with some bubbly carbonation up front, but a decent creamy mouth feel and a tongue-coating sticky finish of the spicy flavours.
OV: Very very enjoyable. One of my favourites to drink either by itself or to pair with food. Again, don't know how Ballast Point managed to get all these flavours to blend and work together, but they did. So much flavour here if you're a both a beer geek and foodie who appreciates things 'outside the box'. Seems a couple reviewers didn't get the aspect BP was going for.

05-11-2013 07:40:05 | More by GuinnessAtRogerWilco
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stoked to try this!

Served in a Port City snifter.

A: Poured black as night and with no head whatsoever. Lots of particles floating around in the beer though. Curious.

S: Holy crap this is a curry bomb! Along with the cumin, coconut, and Kaffir lime, to say this is "India-style" is an understatement.

T: Not for all tastes, for sure. If you hate these spices, this won't be your thing. It's amazing that you can taste each and every one of these spices. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

M: Just enough carbonation to be dangerous, and I really dug the milkiness added by the coconut. That especially rounded out the finish... while the cumin burns the back of your throat!

O: Come one peeps, you know you love this beer! The most unique brew of 2013 so far. I'd have it again.

06-04-2013 02:39:16 | More by Chaney
abriggs1

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very hard beer to review. To my knowledge, no one has ever brewed a beer with curry. It sounds like a risky idea at best.

We'll start with the obvious. This beer tastes like curry, and it's not subtle. You can smell it right away, but the taste dominates the palate. I like curry, so this isn't a bad thing. It would be easy to say that the curry flavor dominates the flavor profile, but the term "curry" has more than one definition. "Curry" is both a specific spice as well as a combination of flavors. If you order a curry dish at a restaurant, it will contain curry leaf as well as things like cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime.

From wikipedia: Curry is the generic English term primarily employed in Western culture to denote a wide variety of dishes whose origins are in Indian cuisine and Southeast Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian or Fijian. Their common feature is the incorporation of more or less complex combinations of spices and/or herbs, usually (but not invariably) including fresh or dried hot chillies.

This beer tastes like an authentic Indian meal. The flavor combination of this particular beer is very well balanced if you understand what curry really means. It's a tough thing to explain, but I hope I've done a decent job.

The beer is very dry, like a good stout should be. The hops are more subtle than I thought they would be, and that works just fine to let the unique flavors shine.

Easily one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. This is a drink that appeals to both the beer lover and foodie in me. I'm not always into beers with crazy flavors, but Indra Kunindra is mind-boggling and one of a kind. It's not often that a beer will blow my mind anymore; i've tried many. The best thing about this beer is the risk taken in releasing it. For $10 a bottle, a beer had better be something special. This could have been a giant train-wreck, but instead it raises the bar of what's possible in brewing.

06-27-2013 00:52:38 | More by abriggs1