Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

3.04/5  rDev -17.4%

3.04/5  rDev -17.4%

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It pours black with a light tan head. It reeks of curry making you less than excited to try the beer. Mouthfeel is good; very smooth and creamy. It's not a bad beer but the curry is very overpowering making it very hard to finish a full glass. However surprisingly the curry, cayenne and other spices compliment each other very well. In the end the curry was just a bit too much. I recommend this beer for uniqueness alone. Try it!

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.14/5  rDev -14.7%

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours nearly pitch black in color and appears very still. A small, mocha colored head quickly fades to a thin ring across the top. Minimal spotted lacing is left behind.

S: A blast of curry up front in the aroma. If you can get past the intensity of the curry, there are hints of spicy peppers, lime citrus and a bit of coconut. But overall, the curry dominates.

T: The taste is much more balanced than the aroma. The curry is still very prevalent, but it tames down and allows the other flavors to come though. Similarly as before, these flavors contain cayenne, lime, and coconut.

M: Medium bodied with a still feel. The intense spices in the taste coat the palate and leave a lingering spicy taste.

O: I enjoy experimentation and unique spins on styles as much as the next person, but this was a little too much for me. The dominance of the curry made this one difficult to enjoy, though I was really looking forward to it. Doubt I'll try it again, but I commend Ballast Point for trying something new and unique.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

From 12/18/11 notes. This one was sent to me from Nuggamooch and shared with some friends. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coconut, cumin, spices, roasted malts, and toasted malts. Some light chocolate as well. Very odd mix; doesn't really do it for me.

t - Tastes strongly of curry, coconut, lime, spices, cumin, pepper, roasted malts, toasted malts, and cream. Takes like taco cookies.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a very interesting stout. Wasn't necessarily bad, but a very weird and interesting mix that didn't do it for me. Some people really liked it as it tastes a lot like Thai style Coconut Curry, but that isn't what I really would want in a beer, and I think we all found it tough to drink 5 oz.'s. Not something I'd seek out again.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Purchased a bomber of this beer after sampling it at the GABF.

Pours black with a finger off mocha foam that fades away without lacing. Aroma smells like... curry and lime. So strange. I like Indian food, but honestly this doesn't smell appetizing.

First sip tastes... like curry and lime. Minimal residual sweetness. It tastes like curry. I really don't know what else to say about it.

This is a really hard beer to review. I really like the fact that it is so unique, but when it comes down to the question of would I buy (or even drink) this again... probably not.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company