Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

07-23-2012 23:45:53 | More by BoRaeCho
ThickNStout

Georgia

3.31/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

11-03-2013 06:28:30 | More by ThickNStout
DarthKostrizer

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare

Look: Black and totally opaque with a 1/2 inch tan head with just ok retention

Smell: Cumin and coconut

Taste: Minty, cumin, spicy curry and just a little touch of lime and vanilla. Interesting

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation with just a bit of heat

Overall: Interesting is the only way I can describe this beer. If you like indian food you will like this beer but it seems to me to be a bit of a strech for a beer.

10-25-2011 02:57:04 | More by DarthKostrizer
Pellinore1

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to sdhomebrewer for sending this one.

Pours smooth and black into a tulip, yielding about a finger of tan head. This fades slowly, leaving a little lacing.

Smells spicy and a little sweet, unlike any beer I've ever encountered. Curry definitely comes through, along with some lime.

The taste starts out like any stout, dark and malty, but quickly gives way to a flurry of other flavors. The lime shows up, then a variety of curry spices, and the finish distinctly peppery.

Medium to full-bodied, with a little more carbonation than I expected. The ABV is absolutely undetectable with all of the complex flavors going on.

I'm happy to have had a chance to try this one, but I would not seek it out again.

10-24-2011 00:29:44 | More by Pellinore1
Chico1985

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

10-12-2012 03:18:59 | More by Chico1985
McD0uche

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:

A: Your typical black/brown stout appearance. Decent head, lacing is good.

S: Smells like a mix between a chipotle burrito and a chocolate bar. This should be interesting.

T: Weird flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, spicy curry. Somehow, it works ok. I wouldn't drink this fast, however. Nor would I drink this with any spicy food.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Burns the tongue a little.

O: I can sum up this beer in a single word: bizarre.

12-24-2012 02:46:23 | More by McD0uche
jkeefe1800

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off by stating that this Ballast Point does exactly what they intended to do with this beer, whether or not that is a good thing is certainly up to some debate. I purchased the bottle on a whim and didn't drink for probably a good month. I poured the bottle into a tulip glass and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it warm up slightly and hopefully open up all of the flavors that made it into the bottle. The smell tells me what I'm about to taste, but not in a way that was very appetizing. It smelled alot like walking into a Indian restaurant lots of curry and spices, a little bit of sweetness, not really how i want my beer to smell. Taste was better the curry, cumin, coconut, and the lime all came through. The best part of the flavors were the balance they complemented each other just like a great food dish. The saving grace was the cayenne though, the heat was just strong enough to take the beer to another level and given some depth. After awhile though as well constructed as it was the novelty wore off and i found myself not wanting to finish it. Overall excellent execution and worth a try but at the end of the day a beer that tastes very much like an Indian dish isn't one I'm going to keep coming back to.

02-10-2014 03:37:53 | More by jkeefe1800
kojevergas

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy by 01/02/13. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Ballast Point in San Diego and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given the brewery.

Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Served straight from the fridge.

Paired with salted hard pretzels.

A: Pours a one finger head of light tan colour, nice cream and thickness, and very good retention, especially considering the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Dark malts, caramel, artificial lime, and earthy spices. An average strength aroma. Appealing albeit strange for the style.

T: Dark malts, earthy notes, caramel, light curry, and a bit of lime. Has a little light heat. Not particularly well balanced, but it's certainly experimental and bold. I get some spiciness in the burp. It's interesting, but far from ideal. Build is strange. No chocolate, yeast, or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, a bit overcarbonated. Too thick for its lack of diverse flavours. Lacks the depth needed to justify such a thick consistency. Fairly good palate presence. A bit creamy - a nice touch.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable for its well-hidden high ABV, but nevertheless disappointing. I expect more from Ballast Point. I doubt I'd get it again, but it's a nice little export stout. The spice is very well handled.

High B-

01-07-2013 03:10:42 | More by kojevergas
Phelps

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

11-22-2012 04:36:54 | More by Phelps
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

The clerk at Table & Vine convinced me to get this one over some other beer (I have forgotten which) by saying it actually tastes like Indian food. I very much enjoy Indian food, so let's see if he was right...

A - I was so intrigued by the spices brewed with this beer, I hadn't realized it was a stout. The pour let me know otherwise. The dark brew wells up a half finger of chocolate milk colored frothy head which fades almost immediately

S - they weren't kidding. the Indian spices are nearly overwhelming, the cumin especially. The lime leaf and the curry are also noticeable. One of the most powerful noses on a beer I've experienced. Not sure how appetizing it is.

T - Yup, he wasn't right. If you don't like Indian food, you probably won't like this beer. Conversely, if you like this beer, go try Indian food! The spices are intense. But good intense, they don't drown out the stout, but they are a challenge. Its like a good hot sauce; a good hot sauce is challengingly hot, but doesn't lose its flavor to blind heat. This beer doesn't lose its beer soul, but is a challenge to enjoy since the spices are so big.

M&D&O - definitely a challenge (have I said that this beer is a challenge), this spices will turn off a lot of people. I enjoy it, its complex, layered, and brewed with quality. Nice job BP.
Which leads to a weird score, the overall is higher than it should seem because what makes this beer great isn't really accounted for in the four metrics given.

12-19-2012 01:56:59 | More by sinstaineddemon
BucannonXC5

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, Calif., on Dec. 27, 2012
Price: $7.99
Misc.: N/A

Poured a pitch black color with just over one finger of tan head that dissipated almost right away. Lots of random spots on the sides of the glass, well below average retention on the top.

Smelled unlike anything I’ve had before. Got crayons, yes, crayons first. Coconut followed, along with butter and curry.

All I can say about the taste is, “wow!” Like the smell, unlike anything I’ve had before. Got the coconut and crayon taste first, then got ripped with curry and a boat load of spices, including a lingering hot one at the end. I don’t know Indian food (besides curry), but there had to be tons of Indian notes. Spicy, spicy.

Full-to-medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, spicy finish.

This was my first foreign export style beer. Although I don’t like Indian food (to me that was what this beer was all about), this was a very interesting beer and something nice to try.

12-30-2012 08:30:54 | More by BucannonXC5
BakerBeer13

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

Drinking from a glass poured from the 22 oz. bottle. I think the bottle is maybe a month+ old, which may explain some different experiences I'm having here.

A - Super dark, almost black, little to no head with modest carbonation. Can see small flecks of the spices resting on the top of the beer while light wisps of oily streaks lazily rock across the top of the glass.

S - Before my first taste, lots of lime, spice, and lemon. Later, now that my mouth is tingling from the spices, I am really hit in the face with a delicious chocolaty aroma with a kiss of cumin.

T - I'm not sure how to approach this. My first few tastes were very citrusy at first, followed by that chocolate and vanilla profile. Then, bam, the Indian spices have their way with your tongue, well into the aftertaste. Once my mouth became acclimated to the spice and eased into the pleasant burn, later tastes are much heavier on the Indian-spiced chocolate vibe.

M - Sits even and mellow. Again, the spices start having the way with how this beer sits on your tongue, likely subject to your personal tolerance / preference for Indian spices.

O - Presuming you're interested in the Indian spices, this beer is a must-try, and I suspect it'll be greatly enjoyed. For people more cautious on their attitude toward Indian spices BUT willing to try something different, I suspect they'll also enjoy a pour of this. While the spices dictate a great deal of the entire experience, they are not used stupidly or unabashedly... this is a very balanced experience that happens to hang out with Indian spices. Perhaps the must fun aspect of this beer is just how drastically the drinking experience changes while you come to terms with the spices... fun!

01-28-2014 03:14:16 | More by BakerBeer13
djaeon

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Pours a very dark brown/black with a light head.

S - Chilled it smells like a smoked porter. As it warms, the cumin & curry aromas come out nicely. Would be great with Thai or Indian food.

T - Initially it tastes like a spicy smoked porter. The cayenne pepper show up in the finish. As it warms, the curry becomes more aggressive (in a good way). The cumin and cayenne also becomes more noticeable. I'm not a fan of peppery flavors in beer, but this isn't too bad here. My wife and friend can taste the lime leaf, but my taste buds can't find it.

M - Average mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. The cayenne burn lingers around too long for my liking.

O - This is good as a one off beer release. A nice experiment. If it was a regular release, I wouldn't buy it more than once. I'm glad I tried it, and it was interesting and decent, but I wouldn't try it again. Take out the cayenne and this might be a completely different story.

10-03-2011 00:06:37 | More by djaeon
BoldRulerVT

Vermont

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into snifters.
I feel bad even reviewing this beer as I was clearly not the right consumer for this beer.
I love Ballast Point offerings and I like a wide variety of beers. But this beer was too much for me. I was expecting a stout with some mild Indian flavor notes. Instead it was like drinking a spicy curry Indian dinner. All of the flavors as indicated on the label were there. And to me it was crafted successfully by the brewers at Ballast Point. But it was too much for me. The curry produced too much of a burn for my palate. The complexity of the curry, coconut, lime were all there, but at the end of the day, it's not what I want to drink in a beer. Others may like this beer and I don't want to trash the beer either. My palate just wasn't right for this beer.

05-04-2014 14:52:05 | More by BoldRulerVT
JCarey

Delaware

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this because of my previous experience with Ballast. Didn't read the label until I poured it and smelled the curry. Pours like a typical stout, with more of a foamy than creamy head. Leaves a cap and some lacing.

Smell is straight curry. In a good way. My first whiff reminded me of fresh pencil shavings, actually. Definitely some foreign style to this.

The flavors of the curry and earthiness of the cumin come out nicely, with some creamy coconut in the backend, but man is this spicy. I've had a few spicy beers and this one takes the cake. I much prefer my spice on the flavor profile, like what Chipotle gives you, Cayenne is just Cayenne. I'm not getting much lime.

Mouthfeel is on point for high ABV stout, but it's killed by the throat burn.

Overall a good beer, but the Stout just gets crushed by the spiciness.

03-27-2014 19:28:51 | More by JCarey