2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 526 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
JCarey

Delaware

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this because of my previous experience with Ballast. Didn't read the label until I poured it and smelled the curry. Pours like a typical stout, with more of a foamy than creamy head. Leaves a cap and some lacing.

Smell is straight curry. In a good way. My first whiff reminded me of fresh pencil shavings, actually. Definitely some foreign style to this.

The flavors of the curry and earthiness of the cumin come out nicely, with some creamy coconut in the backend, but man is this spicy. I've had a few spicy beers and this one takes the cake. I much prefer my spice on the flavor profile, like what Chipotle gives you, Cayenne is just Cayenne. I'm not getting much lime.

Mouthfeel is on point for high ABV stout, but it's killed by the throat burn.

Overall a good beer, but the Stout just gets crushed by the spiciness.

03-27-2014 19:28:51 | More by JCarey
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Shared by BRoss242 during his own send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, curry, Indian food, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, curry, and meat. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I really didn’t know what to expect on this one when I first saw. Once I took my first smell of it I REALLY didn’t know what to expect. Was this dry hopped with Indian food was one of my first thoughts… I happen to like Indian food, but why does my beer smell like it? The same went on in the flavor as well as it tasted like curried meat which was quite surprising. I could see this going well with a nice dish of Indian food, but on its own, I’m not too sure about. Glad I got to experience something this strange, but doubt I will do so again.

09-04-2012 11:31:19 | More by thagr81us
arizcards

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber at Holiday Wine Cellar President's Day weekend for $7.99.

Beer poured dark brown with a nice tan head.

Nose has hints of mocha, lime, and hot spices.

Taste initially is a base american stout, chocolate with a lingering heat that is pretty well crafted in.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and pretty smooth.

Overall this is well crafted recipe in which the spices are blended in well and not too overbearing but they do take the forefront and leave the base stout taste in the back seat.

04-21-2012 01:44:16 | More by arizcards
Abe_Froman

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very different beer. There is a lot going on in it. I could taste the curry, cayenne, and lime leaf. its complex and interesting. I found it a nice change of pace and it was fun sorting through all the different flavors. I wouldn't recommend it for every one, but if you are looking for something unusual definitely give it a try.

10-27-2013 06:33:23 | More by Abe_Froman
Rizalini

Nevada

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a cola brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head. It does fall rather quickly however.

S - The smell is dominated by the curry and coconut. I keep going back and sniffing, but I'm having a hard time identifying any other characteristics.

T/M - WOW, very different. The beginning of this taste experience is the slightly bitter lime, then comes the onslaught of curry and cayenne. The heat is a little intense for me, and the curry is very bold! Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - A very unique taste experience for sure. Personally, this one is a little too much for me, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm judging this based on style and description.

11-08-2013 03:17:57 | More by Rizalini
BeerDawgs

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bottle stating limited release with a number of 13,339 on it

A - Pitch black, with gold sediment specs floating on top and throughout the beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Dark grain and loads of Indian spices. Hot!

T - A dry stout up front, but the huge amount of spicy Indian notes come in a second later and really pop in the aftertaste. Spicy and hot! Definitely warms you up. The curry dominates

M - Oily and slick, medium bodied, and lots of carbonation.

O - An interesting brew, and original for sure. But not really my cup of tea. Too spicy for me, but then again I am not crazy on Indian food...so to be expected.

01-29-2014 03:13:19 | More by BeerDawgs
rmaste6282

22oz bottle, 7% beer, not 9%

Poured into Duvel Tulip, near black with brown head, decent retention. Smell is heavy on the cumin, and cayenne, can't really get past the spices on the aroma. Medium to Light-Medium body, decent carbonation. Taste is cumin, cayenne, curry spices, burnt dark chocolate, peppery. I don't get any coconut, but a tad bit of the lemongrass. There is definately some spicyness here. Would not be able to drink a lot of it, but it is a fun brew.

09-29-2011 00:28:28 | More by rmaste6282
womencantsail

On-tap at Bruery Provisions

A: The beer pours almost black in color with a dense tan head.

S: Smells like perfume and curry. Lots of cumin with a bit of smoke. A very light fruitiness from the lime, which is sort of weird. Almost chalky.

T: A very slight coconut sweetness up front followed by the lime leaves. There is a definite curry flavor and a strong flavor of cumin. Quite a bit of roast, a little bit of dark chocolate, too.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Kind of a funky beer/idea. Decent execution of it.

10-07-2011 20:26:25 | More by womencantsail
ElSteve22

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can say is WOW. This beer is quite an experience. I am a huge fan of stouts and Ballast Point, so I figured this was a no brainer. The smell is what does it. This is one of the spiciest beers I have ever experienced. Lots of curry (and I mean LOTS) and the coconut and cumin really shine through as well. Poured this one cold out of the bottle and let it warm up a little in a tulip. The pour didn't yield too much in the way of head and the head was all gone by the time i was half way through. The taste was bold (of course) due to all the spices, but I was a little let down with regards to the body and mouth feel of this beer. I really let it warm up for the 2nd pour and I was rewarded for my patience. I would definitely recommend letting a cold one sit out for a good 10-15 minutes before drinking. Maybe more depending on your taste.
Overall I liked the beer and I'm definitely glad I picked it up, but I don't know if I need to have this one again. If you like curry, this beer is a must try. If you don't like curry, stay far away.

11-04-2012 00:16:05 | More by ElSteve22
Samuel906

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

FIrst of all, whether or not you like curry is going to either make or break this beer. Probably not going to be too many "gray area" people on this. You either like curry and coconut and will probably like this beer or not. I do like curry so this beer went over better with me than with some people. Pours dark, looks nice. Taste is lots of curry, lots of cayanne heat, and some silkiness from the coconut. Not really anything traditionally recognizable as beer flavored. Interesting and unique.

10-21-2013 05:39:19 | More by Samuel906
DaniDoesDryHops

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours almost pitch black, with cola colored head, almost non existent/low carb smoothness.

S: Instantly, curry. Upon further inspection, definitely cumin, coconut, and hint of the kaffir..but curry is the dominant note. I couldn't smell the chocolate.

T: Taste is way more balanced. I was expecting a wash of curry, instead got a spicy, even flavor with hints of curry. The dominant taste was definitely the chili powder, followed by the curry, and once it warms up a bit...almost overly sweet coconut. The chocolate doesnt hit until the very end, and I prefer the end notes to the initial sip.

M: Light bodied, but seems to almost thicken to a medium or heavy feel as it warms. Strange. The chili was just enough kick and actually had me sweating a bit, but was a pleasant warmth, not at all uncomfortable or sinus clearing.

O: The was definitely a surprise, a pleasant one. Keep an open mind...and dont watch reviews...I was TERRIFIED before cracking it. I would definitely buy/drink this again, and would especially if I found it on tap. Would have prefered less coconut sweetness, but it isnt offensive. Of all notes, I was surprised that I LOVED the chili kick (generally not a spicy/hot fan)Keep in mind this is a sipping beer, and not at all sessionable. I wouldve prefered it in a regular 12oz, as the bomber was too much between the boyf and I. Couldnt finish it.

02-17-2014 00:11:24 | More by DaniDoesDryHops
ElSid

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The Beers of California

#68

Best By Date: 10/5/13

A: Typical stout darkness, somewhat thin appraring, with a minimal head of khaki foam which leaves behind a sliver of bubbles on the rim.

S: Strong spice initially. The usual stout characteristics of cocoa and brown sugar are in the back along with the cumin, cayenne and lime.

T: The palate, although foreign, attempts to strike a balance between the spice and stout sweetness. Again the initial onslaught is the Madras intertwining with muted elements of dark sugar, espresso, cocount and cocoa. The cayenne and cumin build mid-palate extending into the finish adding complexity to the bitter spice finish. The lime is there, giving a citrus twang which juxtaposes the spice nicely.

M: Medium feel, slightly on the thin side, and smooth with little carbonation.

O: Originally purchased as an exercise for the palate, Indra is a unique and welcomed departure from the classic stout style. I enjoyed the spice charachteristics which add depth and complexity but ultimately wanted more balance with the inherent dark sweetness of the stout style and stronger coconut presence.

02-20-2013 03:48:55 | More by ElSid
Smarty_Pints

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

08-31-2013 06:16:08 | More by Smarty_Pints
phichifiji00

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black with a finger of tan head that quickly fades. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Curry, a hint of lime, coconut, cumin.

Taste: Malty, cumin, cayenne, curry, coconut milk (more of a textural sensation than taste), and the subtlist hint of lime and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, slightly creamy/milky.

Overall: A very unique beer. I don't think I could drink a bottle solo, but a wonderful experience. Followed it up with homemade indian food. A perfect pairing.

09-30-2011 02:17:11 | More by phichifiji00
PeterIngemi

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a dfh snifter

A: pours black with a bit of brown towards the head when held to the light... Little to no head after a regular pour, the head appears to be tannish, little to no lacing....

S: an interesting aroma, I get a ton of curry spice blended with cayenne along with a bit of lime, smells like a sweaty Indian guy, fresh out of the kitchen after cooking up some deliciousness in the tandor oven. I picked up on a strong whiff of coconut goodness when I opened the bottle however this seems to be lost now that its in my glass. I really don't get a lot of the typical stout aromas either... Mainly just the spice.

T: taste follows closely with the aroma, almost to a T, up front I get a light touch of chocolate then going into the curry spice and lime leaf, with the cayenne coming in strong on the finish, bringing a bit of heat to this, this is like liquid Indian food, very interesting. I do not mind the flavor, but a whole bomber may be a bit of a chore for one person.

M: medium heavy body with low/moderate carbonation... Not a bad mouthfeel. Dry w/ some cayenne heat on the finish.

O: this is a strange and interesting brew, a bit heavy on the lime for my tastes, and deffinatly heavy on the spice, like unsaid before, reminds me of a sweaty Indian guy. Glad I tried it, but I don't see myself hurrying to pick up another.

10-09-2012 01:08:09 | More by PeterIngemi
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub a couple weeks ago. This review is from notes.

Pours ink black with a very persistent tan head. Glass gets completely coated in tan foam. The smell is instantly curry balanced out by some oily coconut and roastyness. Again, classic Indian curry takes the lead in the taste, with anise, cumin and cinnamon notes. Coconut provides a nice moderating sweetness. Roasty, chocolatey stout flavors mix with a citric hoppiness in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and low in carbonation. Curry and bitterness from hops and black malt make up the finish.

This is an interesting stout. Its a little too curry dominant for my tastes. Still worth a try, made me want Lamb Vindaloo.

10-14-2012 22:47:30 | More by CAMRAhardliner
SHODriver

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured into a nonic pint glass to a deep black with a finger of rocky tan head that fades to a small collar around the glass
S: smells of cumin, cayenne pepper and curry
T: coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, a bit of roast malt displaying some coffee and chocolate. swallow brings more coconut, coffee, lime leaf? and a bit of heat
M: somewhat heavy with slightly prickly carbonation
O: one of the more interesting beers I've drank. Definitely not sure what to expect and I'm not sure if I like the outcome. I wouldn't call it a drain pour candidate but I don't think I'll be buying another one. Spices seem to dominate the malt bill and I'm not sure if I'm feeling carbonation or my tongue starting to burn. Not bad at all though. If you're looking for an interesting beer that's kinda DFH like in oddity then this one is right up your alley. the coconut is nice but a bit of subtlety from the spice would have been lovely instead of it being so in your face.

10-31-2012 02:39:52 | More by SHODriver
mportnoy

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Very spicy and interesting. The flavor profile was more Thai than Indian for me. Strong curry and coconut notes. Slightly jarring flavor profile. Ballast Point is one of my favorite breweries and I appreciate it when a brewery tries something different. Everyone should try this beer once since its flavor is so unique but I doubt that I'll be coming back for seconds.

12-09-2012 04:57:42 | More by mportnoy
beer2day

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark black pour with a fleeting, fizzy half finger of head. No retention and no lace.

Nose is lime and coconut, with dark peat malt underneath. There is a bit of aged beef in there too.

Flavor is very spicy. I get the coconut initially up front and lingering in the finish. In the middle, though, there is some intense pepper and spice. The curry and cayenne really do a number here. If you don't like heat, then stay away. I'm a spicy food guy, but this one burns on the way down. The heat pretty much swallows up any stout flavor that might exist here.

Body is a bit on the thin side, but not overly so. Fairly easy drinker in that regard.

Overall, worth a shot but wish this came in a 12oz instead.

02-18-2013 02:17:38 | More by beer2day
TBoneJones

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours near black, just liquid, no head, little evidence of carbonation.
Smells pleasant enough. Basil immediately, and an exotic spice aroma in a sense that if licorice was exotic. But mostly a minty basil. In fact the smell is exactly like my favorite flavor of gelato: coconut basil.
Wow. Tasting this. Interesting as the flavor resembles the nice aroma, but what a bite! Spicy swallowing this ale. Truly a spicy beer, and the first time I've tasted a brew anything like this. I'm not sure I like this too much, but I certainly appreciate its use of foreign/unorthodox-in-beer ingredients, as well as the alien peppery, coconut-basil-curryish flavor it imparts.
Carbonation seems weak, yet upon swallowing each sip, the sting of this can make you think otherwise.
I understand BP has also made this in a 9% run; I wonder if I'd have dug it more. As for this take, I wouldn't say it's something I'd seek out again. However, I give it credit for being completely unlike any other beer I've ever tried. I enjoyed it just enough.

02-06-2014 23:50:42 | More by TBoneJones
ThePaleRider

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Super dark. Can't see any light through it with a dark tan head. Big bubble disappear pretty quickly leaving little lacing on the glass.

S - Peanuts, curry, and a hint of malts.

T - Coconut curry, roasted malts, a little spice. Not as much curry flavor as I hoped for.

M - Light bodied stout that leaves a lot of curry on the palette.

O - I've had this beer on tap and it was MUCH better. It's a little too smooth out of the bottle for my taste.

09-19-2012 05:11:15 | More by ThePaleRider
jlindros

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

This sure looks like an interesting and unique beer. Let's see how it actually does.

The long neck shotgun pours the darker mocha colored fizzy bubbly almost 1 finger head that fades very quickly, and in an instant there is barely a head covering, with very little lacing, over pitch black thicker looking viscous like dark beer.

Nose explodes with curry and cumin, I almost thing I'm in India for a second, it's hard to get anything else behind all that, but somehow I find some dark malts, a light vanilla and caramel, and a bit of a milk chocolate, touch of toasted coconut, etc. Lots of spices and very Indian.

Taste actually starts with coconut, wow coconut, with a bit buttery and toasted coconut right out, with a nice vanilla like demeanor. Just as quick comes the cayenne, big spicy heat and lots of cayenne pepper. Finally comes the Indian spices, curry and cumin are fairly strong as the initial coconut fades, although the heat stays for a while. The malts bring a bit of mocha, little powdered cocoa and some caramel but barely. It's hard to get anything else other than the spices. Finish has a long cayenne pepper heat that lasts for a while. The heat seems to increase a bit after each sip and hits a nice hot plateau, and for a hot pepper fan it's quite nice. The finish is also sticky and syrupy, some lingering cumin and curry, and a bit of the toasted buttery coconut and little vanilla.

Mouth is med to a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, little creamy, and lots of pepper heat.

Overall quite a unique beer. The spices really come out and dominate everything else, and teh beer itself is kinda lost in it all. It's somewhat tasty as I'm starting to really enjoy well done curry, but all in all it's hard to get the beer aspect of it. The pepper heat is nice for me, as well as coconut, but still hard to really enjoy it as a beer.

11-11-2012 03:52:07 | More by jlindros
Mic-Lee

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Opaque black with a khaki colored head. Thai flavors abound. Lime leaf, coconut and curry. Kaffir lime leaf featured prominently. Thom Kha Gha. A little burn on the back of your mouth, near the throat. Citrusy and tangy. Spicy, but not deep or dirty. Perfumy, especially in the end. Surprisingly crisp. No bitterness.

Overall: I feared this brew for a month or two, letting it sit in the fridge, daring me to try it. I’m glad I finally did! It has bright Kaffir lime leaf flavors and a smooth and floral finish. It is very flavorful and definitely unique. The burn in the back of your throat is welcome. Despite being quite crisp for a beer this dark, it is also rich; I could have only one of these.

11-20-2012 00:02:03 | More by Mic-Lee
bonkers

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bomber into 2 snifters, jet black with a moderate head. The aroma is lots of spicey curry. the spiciness of the curry is the dominant flavor, there are also subtle hints of sweetness in the finish. the body is moderate, good carbonation. lad I split it with a friend. One of the more interesting brews I have had, but if you are not a fan of Indian food don't pick this one up, for me the curry was a little too much.

06-09-2013 10:04:07 | More by bonkers
jtierney89

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Very very deep brown near black, two fingers of of tan head. Tons of curry on the nose with faint notes of chili lime and coconut.

Starts like your typical stout with sweet roasted barley malts. Vanilla and chocolate and light roast coffee. Bright citrus acidity explodes on the mid palate followed by a nice coconut flavor. The beer finishes with a big curry presence and a nice heat that lingers in the throat and on the lips.

Somehow this beer works well. It does focus more on the specialty ingredients than the beer flavors themselves but there's enough there to remind you it's a beer. The curry on the nose is overwhelming and can take a bit from the flavor if you get to big of a whiff so I suggest drinking out of a pint or something.curry can be a little overwhelming at times. But a pretty complex beer with waves of cool flavor.

10-11-2013 04:02:27 | More by jtierney89