Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try. (410 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark black pour with a fleeting, fizzy half finger of head. No retention and no lace.

Nose is lime and coconut, with dark peat malt underneath. There is a bit of aged beef in there too.

Flavor is very spicy. I get the coconut initially up front and lingering in the finish. In the middle, though, there is some intense pepper and spice. The curry and cayenne really do a number here. If you don't like heat, then stay away. I'm a spicy food guy, but this one burns on the way down. The heat pretty much swallows up any stout flavor that might exist here.

Body is a bit on the thin side, but not overly so. Fairly easy drinker in that regard.

Overall, worth a shot but wish this came in a 12oz instead. (705 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours near black, just liquid, no head, little evidence of carbonation.
Smells pleasant enough. Basil immediately, and an exotic spice aroma in a sense that if licorice was exotic. But mostly a minty basil. In fact the smell is exactly like my favorite flavor of gelato: coconut basil.
Wow. Tasting this. Interesting as the flavor resembles the nice aroma, but what a bite! Spicy swallowing this ale. Truly a spicy beer, and the first time I've tasted a brew anything like this. I'm not sure I like this too much, but I certainly appreciate its use of foreign/unorthodox-in-beer ingredients, as well as the alien peppery, coconut-basil-curryish flavor it imparts.
Carbonation seems weak, yet upon swallowing each sip, the sting of this can make you think otherwise.
I understand BP has also made this in a 9% run; I wonder if I'd have dug it more. As for this take, I wouldn't say it's something I'd seek out again. However, I give it credit for being completely unlike any other beer I've ever tried. I enjoyed it just enough. (1,031 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Very very deep brown near black, two fingers of of tan head. Tons of curry on the nose with faint notes of chili lime and coconut.

Starts like your typical stout with sweet roasted barley malts. Vanilla and chocolate and light roast coffee. Bright citrus acidity explodes on the mid palate followed by a nice coconut flavor. The beer finishes with a big curry presence and a nice heat that lingers in the throat and on the lips.

Somehow this beer works well. It does focus more on the specialty ingredients than the beer flavors themselves but there's enough there to remind you it's a beer. The curry on the nose is overwhelming and can take a bit from the flavor if you get to big of a whiff so I suggest drinking out of a pint or something.curry can be a little overwhelming at times. But a pretty complex beer with waves of cool flavor. (844 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a: a syrupy, dark black color with some faint muddy brown notes. 1/2 finger tan head that is fading quickly and leaves you with nothing but a thin film on top

s: never smelled a stout quite like it. there is a chocolaty, maple syrup, and toffee background. but then it takes a turn with some aromas unique aromas. for me, i pick up the kaffir lime leaf right away - which adds a lightness and vibrance to the aroma which is quite nice. you're then greater with a mixture of cayenne pepper and coconut (as the text on the bottle also indicated). very interesting aromas going on here, with some nice layers.

t: whoa. spicy. right away you're punched in the face with spice from cayenne pepper. after the first few sips, your pallet adjusts a bit to what feels like putting cayenne pepper directly in there. i'm picking up some of that curry spice in here as well, with some malt sweetness. hard to get much else

m: lighter side of medium. low carbonation

o: overwhelmingly spicy for me. i appreciate what they did, and its a well-made beer, but i'm having trouble getting through it. its just a bit too much (1,123 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Very spicy and interesting. The flavor profile was more Thai than Indian for me. Strong curry and coconut notes. Slightly jarring flavor profile. Ballast Point is one of my favorite breweries and I appreciate it when a brewery tries something different. Everyone should try this beer once since its flavor is so unique but I doubt that I'll be coming back for seconds. (368 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Dark brown pour sits opaque black. Dense, clay colored head. Despite it's auspicious beginning, all foam is gone by the time I finish my beer.

Smells like curry and coconut shreds over a pretty good export stout.

Cocoa and chile with an odd citrus something in back at first (the kaffir lime leaves?). As the beer warms the cocoa simmers down and the vanilla-y coconut stands out more. Hot cayenne fade. Smooth mouthfeel like a baltic porter.

Good grocery list beer. Usually the adjuncts are overpowering and messy or too subtle to be worthwhile but this was a good mix. (575 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours like a stout, so I expect it to taste like one (or so I think). Pretty black and not too much head.

S: I can pick up some of that curry spice right away. I can also smell some of the booze and maybe some ginger or pepper.

T: WOW. This is crazy. Not what I was expecting at all. Curry, chili, fizz, pepper, smoke, wood, hops. It's not even that stout-like in my opinion. It's got faint notes of chocolate and sweets, but overall it's dry and spicy all the way. As it warms it gets better and becomes more subtle. Still the same notes in the taste but more blended and less harsh.

M: I think I'll go with medium and some good carb. Not the best, but not bad.

O: I didn't know what to think at first. This beer surly is interesting... I like it. I don't think it's an A beer, but I think it's good. One thing that disappointed me was the misleading style name. I expected more desert and less curry (although I'm a big fan of curry). It was still a good buy though. (979 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

This sure looks like an interesting and unique beer. Let's see how it actually does.

The long neck shotgun pours the darker mocha colored fizzy bubbly almost 1 finger head that fades very quickly, and in an instant there is barely a head covering, with very little lacing, over pitch black thicker looking viscous like dark beer.

Nose explodes with curry and cumin, I almost thing I'm in India for a second, it's hard to get anything else behind all that, but somehow I find some dark malts, a light vanilla and caramel, and a bit of a milk chocolate, touch of toasted coconut, etc. Lots of spices and very Indian.

Taste actually starts with coconut, wow coconut, with a bit buttery and toasted coconut right out, with a nice vanilla like demeanor. Just as quick comes the cayenne, big spicy heat and lots of cayenne pepper. Finally comes the Indian spices, curry and cumin are fairly strong as the initial coconut fades, although the heat stays for a while. The malts bring a bit of mocha, little powdered cocoa and some caramel but barely. It's hard to get anything else other than the spices. Finish has a long cayenne pepper heat that lasts for a while. The heat seems to increase a bit after each sip and hits a nice hot plateau, and for a hot pepper fan it's quite nice. The finish is also sticky and syrupy, some lingering cumin and curry, and a bit of the toasted buttery coconut and little vanilla.

Mouth is med to a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, little creamy, and lots of pepper heat.

Overall quite a unique beer. The spices really come out and dominate everything else, and teh beer itself is kinda lost in it all. It's somewhat tasty as I'm starting to really enjoy well done curry, but all in all it's hard to get the beer aspect of it. The pepper heat is nice for me, as well as coconut, but still hard to really enjoy it as a beer. (1,854 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bomber into 2 snifters, jet black with a moderate head. The aroma is lots of spicey curry. the spiciness of the curry is the dominant flavor, there are also subtle hints of sweetness in the finish. the body is moderate, good carbonation. lad I split it with a friend. One of the more interesting brews I have had, but if you are not a fan of Indian food don't pick this one up, for me the curry was a little too much. (431 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Dark black with a milk chocolate head, with plenty of fish eyes.

S: There is a lot going on here. The front is curry and almost gives me a little bit of a taco seasoning thing... odd.. but behind that there is a sweet coconut and chocolate aroma..

T: Man that is weird. Curry up front, with a touch of spiciness, which mellows into dark chocolate, coconut, and roasted grains, followed by a hint of lime. It is certainly interesting, but I don't know if I like it. I enjoy the multitude of different flavors, but am not sure

M: Medium in feel, with fairly active carbonation.

O: Overall this beer is a misfit. It is certainly interesting, and well made, but I am not sure if the flavor profile is up my alley. It is interesting that this multitude of flavors works together in one brew which is impressive, just not sure if I love it. (851 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Super dark. Can't see any light through it with a dark tan head. Big bubble disappear pretty quickly leaving little lacing on the glass.

S - Peanuts, curry, and a hint of malts.

T - Coconut curry, roasted malts, a little spice. Not as much curry flavor as I hoped for.

M - Light bodied stout that leaves a lot of curry on the palette.

O - I've had this beer on tap and it was MUCH better. It's a little too smooth out of the bottle for my taste. (454 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle was poured into a large tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: This totally smells like an Indian or Thai dish. Coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Smells great, but missing those traditional export stout flavors.

Taste: It's hard to hate this beer because I love the spices, but the spices make it easy to dislike it also. The heat of the spices overpowers any of the stout flavors.

Mouthfeel: Spicy hot, smooth, not as drinkable as one one like, lingering heat, medium bodied , and medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is a love and hate relationship. I really don't know what to think. I love the beer by the way it tastes, but hate it by the way the taste I'm used to expecting. Where's the stout? Such a strange interesting beer. (919 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a very dark brown-black with a medium tannish-brown head that disappears slowly. Scent is heavy with coconut and a plethora of spices that make my nose tingle. A lot of chocolate and a little bit of lime. Taste is initially dark chocolate with just a bit of anise. I get a lot of coconut. Just a hint of curry with a ton of cayenne and cumin. The cayenne lingers on the throat and tongue with tingly spiciness. A bit of alcohol as well. As it warms...the curry comes through more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spicy, and tingly. Drinkability is fair. Overall, this is a unique beer, but all the spices can be a bit overwhelming. Tasty though. (647 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle.

Pours a dark brown color with a yellowish tan head that fades fairly quickly to a thick collar and a few streaks of lace. Heavy coconut and curry on the nose, and not much else, fairly sweet. Medium thick, high carbonation body, soft on the palate and very spicy on the finish. Flavor starts sweet and malty, milk chocolate and coconut before finishing with a variety of spices I can't identify that continue to build in heat on the back of the throat and front of the tongue long into the finish. (512 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Black beer with dark brown hues, light mocha head. Smells is dark chocolate, toasted coconut, burnt sugar, brown sugar. Taste is toasty coconut, marshmellow, creamy coconut, cumin, cinamin spice, some juicy orange, and pepper heat towards the end that dries the beer out. Overall a solid beer. (293 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle served in a tumbler glass. Pours a cola color with a fizzy, brown and almost instantly diminishing head. Aroma is roasted malt, cumin, curry, pepper, and chocolate. Flavor is roasted malt, curry, pepper, lime, vanilla, a hint of coconut, and chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, dry, bitter, low carbonation, and mighty spicy. Very interesting beer, the aroma is slightly scary, but the malt background allows a bit of a balance with the spiciness. (457 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz bottle served in a stout glass. Pours black, tinged with red, and forms a moderate brown head. Aroma is of sweet curry, with a prominent coconut smell, along with turmeric and myriad other curry flavors. It actually reminds me of an oak-aged funky porter I've had from another brewery -- a fantastic one, mind you -- so I'm hopeful that these flavors work really well together in beer. Flavor combines the curry flavors from the aroma with spicy cayenne and green curry leaf. The result is really tasty and enjoyable but regrettably hot (spicy). Still, this might be the most enjoyable Chili beer I've ever had.

Probably wouldn't come back to this one, but if they'd turn down the capsicum in the recipe this could be an A+ sweet stout. (748 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an opaque yet clear very dark brown (approaching jet black) in color with some light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some cola brown highlights. The beer has a half finger tall dense foamy light tan head that reduces to a medium patch of very thin film with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted malts underneath the light aromas of toasted coconut and Indian spices - cumin, curry, and kaffir leaves stand out.

T: Similar to the smell, there are light flavors of roasted malts underneath the more pronounced flavors of the Indian spices. There is a light presence of coconut with moderate to strong flavors of cumin and curry. Slightly light flavors of kaffir leaves and cayenne pepper. There is a moderate amount of lingering spicy burn.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of dryness from the spices in the finish.

O: There is a surprising amount of spiciness to this beer - probably a bit hotter than the average Indian food that I have ordered all over the US. There is a nice amount of kick to the spiciness but it does make the beer a little tougher to drink much of - definitely reduces the drinkability. Lots of complexity to the flavors and smells. Don't think I could have more than one of these. (1,367 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with a big fizzy medium brown head. Fades somewhat quickly, leaving just a smattering of lacing behind. Zero head retention, can't even revive it with a swirl. Looks to be almost completely flat.

S: What a unique aroma. Toasted coconut is quite apparent. Lots of spices that I can't really place. A little bit of heat burns the noise (chile pepper?).

T: Heavy coconut up front. Some roasted malt with a touch of char and chocolate. Very spicy in the middle. Chile pepper heat, nice wave of it right after the middle and into the finish. More spices and more coconut mixes in with the burning. Long lingering simmering heat that adds up. Having said that, it's nothing over the top, just lasts forever. Swear I get a hint of lime in that lingering aftertaste as well.

M: Medium bodied but feels heavier due to very low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: Definitely one of the most unique flavor combinations in a beer that I've ever had. Usually experiments like this fail miserably but this one turned out while well. Roasted malt tends to go well with chile pepper heat and the coconut brings a nice toasty aspect. Lots of spices everywhere that are hard to describe but contribute to the spicy/hot aspects of this beer. Nice balance of flavors to boot. (1,282 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

- Ipa styled export stout brewed with Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, & kaffin lime.

A: Dark bakers chocolate pour produces a 2 finger mocha foam monster of a head. Good show of visible carbonation rushes up along the glass walls. Lace coating is modest 50% coverage rate, spotty.

S: The lime and coconut are first to get noticed with mention of cayenne and cumin. Fresh coconut, leafy greens, with the curry coming on the trail. Some celery stalk and a faint peppery mention. A nice mixture of asian spices, the chocolate and roasted nature a bit more reserved. Spicy, unique.

T: The asian spices come through strongly on the flavor aspect, no subtle hints here, distinct warming of cayenne and curry add that distinct spiciness and flair. Roasted coconut, cumin, fresh greenery, some coffee with a gentle warming of asian spice finish that provides just that right amount of balance, complexity and gentle warmth to the palate for a wintery night sampling.

M: Mouthful had a spicy cayenne sensation on the inner cheeks, as well the tongue. Body is medium full, some gentle dance of carbonation.

O: Overall I gave consideration for its uniquiness and what they were intending to do rather then shoe horn and punish this by style for a more focused attention on the spices then the roasted and coffee nature. An uniquely spiced export stout that highlights the asian induced spices with a very good balance and represenatation. A definite consideration for a one time sampling to try something outside the box. (1,526 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Big coconut lots of spicy herbs, anise, lots going on, no roasted malt characters, really aromatic and complex, a lot aromas.

A: Black with a tan head, the head dissipated fairly quickly, has a nice color.

T: Coconut, anise, spicy herbs, getting some chili, dry, the spice lingers, no roasted malts.

M: Lots of carbonation, medium body, dry finish on the palate.

O: There's just too much going on for me with this beer, I love stouts, but there so much that I think it takes away from the stout characteristics. I think all the added flavors overwhelm what should be the main characteristics, the stout flavors, I love the chili and I noticed that as the beer warms the chili is more apparent, but all the other flavors are just too much. (796 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- frothy, dark khaki-colored head with spots of pale white. Three fingers big. Pitch black body. Lace is thick and forms a film above the body.

S- Spice, lime, peppery heat attacks my nostrils. Sweet malt is there. Seems a bit subdued like a few months back (or weeks) the smell would have been ferocious. Some chocolate reminds me of a spicy latte.

T- The curry and lime immediately suggest a Thai broth. Chocolate makes a delayed entrance. Caramel too.

M- Aggressive spice heats the tongue and lime seems to egg on the conversation. It's got a mean bite. The beer eventually smooths out and the creaminess becomes more apparent, but the tongue will burn long after. There is a dryness to the beer that is hard to notice due to the heat.

O- I wish the different flavors blended together better rather than seeming to come in separate waves. The lime and spice are so dominant I hardly could detect much else initially. Still a fun, tasty and aggressive beer. I like when breweries concoct stuff like this. (1,012 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don't see myself returning to this one, as I don't find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat. (520 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at O'Brien's. Pint glass.

Pours a near-black brown, thin light tan head with no lacing and not much retention. Smell is lots of curry spice, baker's chocolate, and bitter coffee. Taste is tamarind, turmeric, black pepper, and smoky malt. I'm not picking up any of the supposed coconut in the smell or taste (nor did anyone else in our group). Light bodied and medium-high carbonation, alcohol is not really noticeable. Overall, bonus points for the novel interpretation of the style. This was actually pretty drinkable despite the unusual flavor; although I didn't love it, it's not one of those beers that you can only drink a taste of. I'm intrigued as to the possibilities of food pairings with this. (711 characters)

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company