2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 523 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
DovaliHops

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a very dark brown-black with a medium tannish-brown head that disappears slowly. Scent is heavy with coconut and a plethora of spices that make my nose tingle. A lot of chocolate and a little bit of lime. Taste is initially dark chocolate with just a bit of anise. I get a lot of coconut. Just a hint of curry with a ton of cayenne and cumin. The cayenne lingers on the throat and tongue with tingly spiciness. A bit of alcohol as well. As it warms...the curry comes through more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spicy, and tingly. Drinkability is fair. Overall, this is a unique beer, but all the spices can be a bit overwhelming. Tasty though.

12-11-2011 09:19:10 | More by DovaliHops
loving44

4.88/5  rDev +31.5%

One of the craziest and most delicious beers I have ever had.

A: dark black with light amber hues when held to light with a thin tan head.

S: lots of coconut, roasted chicory, cayenne, cumin, curry spice. Coconut dominates.

T: Amazing. This tasted like Thai green curry, lots of coconut, like spices coconut milk, curry, a touch of heat at the end. Everything in a perfect balance. No flavor dominating.

M: Thick and chewy, milky, a satisfying stout body.

Overall: I wasn't going to buy this beer because quite frankly, it sounded disgusting, but the clerk at Holiday Wine cellar talked me into it and man am I glad he did. A crazy idea that totally came together and just worked. I split this bomber with a friend and we were blown away. A unique, and highly recommended brew if you can find it.

11-19-2011 04:40:12 | More by loving44
vacax

4.6/5  rDev +24%

Bomber from what other than Holiday Wine Cellar, poured into a tulip glass. Black in color, large rich mocha head with large beads and good retention, attractive lacing. Aroma of Thai style curry, coconut milk, lemongrass, cayenne, mild sweetness from the malt.

Flavor also brings the "Thai style curry" notes with the cumin up front, bright citrus notes on the midpalate, the spice wonderfully rounds it out on the finish and the coconut smooths it all out. Cookielike malt flavors and a roasty end note prep me for another sip. Robust body with an unusual higher carbonation for it, but the bubbles scrub the spice against the palate--both the cumin and the spicy hot of the cayenne. So many things being described here could send a beer in a horrible wrong direction, but the proportion here exhibits a finesse in adjuncts that has to be tasted to be believed--the balance is just perfect. The luscious malt character is present when you look for it, as is the roast that just perfects the finish, but the "crazy stuff" in here is front and center and it is amazing.

The bottle calls this an Indian style export stout, and wordplay aside I would probably call this a Thai stlye stout as far as pure flavors go. An extreme beer that pushes boundaries that nobody seems to have even approached before, utterly unique, tantalizingly exotic, and simply sublime.

11-11-2011 02:46:18 | More by vacax
jethrodium

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

650 ml bottle. Pours a dark brown with a small tan head that has good retention and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is big coconut, some curry, some light lime, and a bit of roast. Very unique. The initial taste is sweet coconut milk, followed by some light curry, a bit of lime, cumin, and a bit of roast. The finish has a light bitterness and leaves a lingering curry spiciness. Light-medium bodied. Low carbonation. Certainly an interesting beer. It is dominated by the spices. I found it enjoyable, but could see how some would not like it.

11-08-2011 21:39:05 | More by jethrodium
inlimbo77

Delaware

22oz bomber poured into a Victory snifter. Special thanks to ren for this rare release. Cheers.

A: Pours a really dark black with little hues on edges. Not as thick as I was expecting. About a finger of tight tan bubbles. They fade quickly. Some sticky lacing.

S: Definitely get the cumin and cayenne smells along with the lime. I think the curry I behind that all. It's an extremely complex and inviting smell, if you like those spices that is (which I do).

T: Nice spicy bite on the tip of the tongue. You get the curry smells when you dig your nose in the glass. Lots of heat on the back end as it goes down your throat from the spices. The lime does show up in the mid tongue. This beer gets better with warming up a bit. The lime becomes less pronouced and the curry and other spices so up big.

M: It's actually medium to full bodied stout. Again, not as motor oil thick as I was expecting. Definitely coats the mouth though.

O: I am going to go with a solid B+ on this one. It's certainly DIFFERENT than other stouts out there, but I like where they went with it. Obviously, if you don't like those flavors this one could be offputting to you.

11-04-2011 13:39:25 | More by inlimbo77
DarthKostrizer

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare

Look: Black and totally opaque with a 1/2 inch tan head with just ok retention

Smell: Cumin and coconut

Taste: Minty, cumin, spicy curry and just a little touch of lime and vanilla. Interesting

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation with just a bit of heat

Overall: Interesting is the only way I can describe this beer. If you like indian food you will like this beer but it seems to me to be a bit of a strech for a beer.

10-25-2011 02:57:04 | More by DarthKostrizer
Pellinore1

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to sdhomebrewer for sending this one.

Pours smooth and black into a tulip, yielding about a finger of tan head. This fades slowly, leaving a little lacing.

Smells spicy and a little sweet, unlike any beer I've ever encountered. Curry definitely comes through, along with some lime.

The taste starts out like any stout, dark and malty, but quickly gives way to a flurry of other flavors. The lime shows up, then a variety of curry spices, and the finish distinctly peppery.

Medium to full-bodied, with a little more carbonation than I expected. The ABV is absolutely undetectable with all of the complex flavors going on.

I'm happy to have had a chance to try this one, but I would not seek it out again.

10-24-2011 00:29:44 | More by Pellinore1
ehammond1

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Near black in color with a wispy, thin light brown head. Spots of lacing left down the glass.

One of the more interesting noses on a beer, period. The initial blast of authentic curry is surprising yet welcome, and it pairs well with sweet and earthy coconut and vanilla aromatics. There's a bit of traditional roast elements throughout, as well.

The flavors are evolving and changing, both in the glass as the beer warms, and simply throughout the sip and swallow. The curry is ever-present, though the coconut and vanilla, with a hint of citrus, make themselves more and more accessible as the beer warms. There's also a lingering, spicy heat that stays for a while in the back of the throat. Interesting and delicious.

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation.

After sampling this beer a couple times from the tap, and then eventually out of the bottle, it easily became one of my favorite new releases of 2011. That being said, I would always want help from a few friends when opening a 22oz. bottle.

10-20-2011 19:58:03 | More by ehammond1
MrVonzipper

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for this bottleshare.

Black with a 1cm light brown head. Medium retention and light lacing.

Straight earthy cumin, faints kaffir lime leaf and mildly spicy curry. Which I love.

Wow. Crazy different flavor. Alot going on Vanilla, kaffir lime, curry, cumin. Mild spice linger. The dark malt with the cumin creates a Kind of minty character as well. Very cool flavor.

Medium bodied. Mildly Spicy. Earthy with high carb.

Overall this is a very Cool amazing different kind of beer very well executed. Don't drink this if you Don't like Curry, Cumin, Thai and or Indian food because you won't like this. Its a great, fun beer. A must try if you like these kind of flavors!

10-17-2011 04:24:09 | More by MrVonzipper
Halcyondays

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours black with a fizzy medium tan head, average retention, some lace.

S: Dominated by curry and lime, has a spicy Indian food vibe which I like.

T: Dark malt and some roast. Definite cayenne spice and capsaicin with a great bittersweet chocolate finish with cumin.

M: Medium to full-bodied, medium high spiciness, nice warm finish. Mild carbonation.

O: A spicy porter, pretty much what I figured. A fun beer to try.

10-08-2011 06:21:45 | More by Halcyondays
djaeon

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Pours a very dark brown/black with a light head.

S - Chilled it smells like a smoked porter. As it warms, the cumin & curry aromas come out nicely. Would be great with Thai or Indian food.

T - Initially it tastes like a spicy smoked porter. The cayenne pepper show up in the finish. As it warms, the curry becomes more aggressive (in a good way). The cumin and cayenne also becomes more noticeable. I'm not a fan of peppery flavors in beer, but this isn't too bad here. My wife and friend can taste the lime leaf, but my taste buds can't find it.

M - Average mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. The cayenne burn lingers around too long for my liking.

O - This is good as a one off beer release. A nice experiment. If it was a regular release, I wouldn't buy it more than once. I'm glad I tried it, and it was interesting and decent, but I wouldn't try it again. Take out the cayenne and this might be a completely different story.

10-03-2011 00:06:37 | More by djaeon
phichifiji00

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black with a finger of tan head that quickly fades. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Curry, a hint of lime, coconut, cumin.

Taste: Malty, cumin, cayenne, curry, coconut milk (more of a textural sensation than taste), and the subtlist hint of lime and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, slightly creamy/milky.

Overall: A very unique beer. I don't think I could drink a bottle solo, but a wonderful experience. Followed it up with homemade indian food. A perfect pairing.

09-30-2011 02:17:11 | More by phichifiji00
rmaste6282

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle, 7% beer, not 9%

Poured into Duvel Tulip, near black with brown head, decent retention. Smell is heavy on the cumin, and cayenne, can't really get past the spices on the aroma. Medium to Light-Medium body, decent carbonation. Taste is cumin, cayenne, curry spices, burnt dark chocolate, peppery. I don't get any coconut, but a tad bit of the lemongrass. There is definately some spicyness here. Would not be able to drink a lot of it, but it is a fun brew.

09-29-2011 00:28:28 | More by rmaste6282
Jbats

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this on tap at 3 Wise Monks.
Got a taste of this as it sounded crazy interesting. At first, it was so strange that I was a bit apprehensive and did not think I could drink an entire pint. But once I did I found myself going back for more. Smell is dominated by curry along with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. Taste is so unique, curry again, cocoa, a mild roasted coffee and some heat that does not overwhelm in the finish. The base beer does not drink at all like a foreign stout. It is smooth and slightly malty. So well balanced in flavors. Unfortunately, the coconut and kaffir leaf are almost non-existant. Still an awesome offering by ballast point!

03-28-2014 17:45:40 | More by Jbats
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

On tap at the Bier Stein.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, as I pick up chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and a hint of spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but I was completely surprised my the amount of heat in the finish. While I think it's kind of fun, the chili heat is almost too much for me (and I tend to like hot and spicey food), and so it's pretty hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot of this. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but not at all heavy, with a long, heat infused finish.

An interesting beer, for sure, but again, it's hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot o this stuff.

02-14-2014 17:15:55 | More by johnmichaelsen
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don't see myself returning to this one, as I don't find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

12-31-2013 16:43:40 | More by Huhzubendah
Smarty_Pints

3.59/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

08-31-2013 06:16:08 | More by Smarty_Pints
Axnjxn

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. goose island pint glass.

black in color with a mild head. smell is intriguing, its got the chocolate and malts of a stout but its also got this spicy, hot aroma to it too. the taste is very similar, full bodied stout with a big kick of spiciness on the back end. the heat becomes overwhelming as you continue through the glass, which hurts drinkability.

overall good if you like hot stuff, but its quite spicy.

08-21-2013 21:22:28 | More by Axnjxn
RaulMondesi

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

So Raul is just laying low at tha Joint, The Playground, in Downtown Santa Ana, CA on another bright and sunny Sunday afternoon. And although this isn't your "Sunday drinking" beer, Raul has no complaints about it.

This thang is kind of like that Aubrey Plaza hoochie; I mean, I would, again and again, but Raul couldn't exactly tell you why. There's something exotic and intoxicating about it, but its foreign enough that Raul cannot put a place on it.

Yep!

08-04-2013 20:05:12 | More by RaulMondesi
JOTAS

4.56/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beauty on tap at Savor 2012 in DC and was fortunate enough to be in San Diego last week to have it on site as fresh as can be. Once you put your nose to your pint you are hit with various wonderful aromas that compose this delightful beer.

You don't get hit with the heat right away, it comes right at the end and it just leaves you wanting more and more. It's nice and subtle and very approachable as far as taste. Your mouth and brain are lost as to what they are experiencing with the first sip, yet everything begins to come in balance and in order after the first, second and third sip.

A good "snack" to have with this pint is some good fresh toasted coconut macaroons as they pair absolutely perfect with this beer. Oh and is curry and the other spices and afrodisiak? Well they seemed to be for me.

05-21-2013 22:27:30 | More by JOTAS
MissRevka

4.9/5  rDev +32.1%

I. AM. IN. LOVE.

I can't get enough of a thick chewy stout and quite frankly anytime threatens my pallet I know I'm in for a good time. I purchased the flight of the three main pallet wreckers and went to town trampling my pallet into a stringent submission between the curry, the ginger and the chipotle. Of the three Indra Kunindra was the heavy weight. Not only was it thick and chewy the way I like my stouts it was hotter that the Red thai curry I had not only an hour beforehand. This was my first time at Ballast point and rest assured it will not be the last. Amazing. Why I can't buy a growlerfull is beyond me, it's as though they know I will misuse it somehow?
HOW DO THEY KNOW!? How!

*Also, bring your pets and bring food. ... Preferably Thai. You wont be disappointed.

*Oh yes, and bring me. I'll be needing more Indra Kunindra to smother all over my body.

03-15-2013 08:12:58 | More by MissRevka
neuromancer9k

Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev +14%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last.

12-08-2012 16:21:53 | More by neuromancer9k
metter98

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at Drop Off Service, New York, NY

A: The beer is very dark red (near black) in color. It poured with a thin tan head that faded away and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of toasted coconuts in the nose along with notes of spices.
T: The initial taste has flavors of coconuts, but these are quickly followed by an interesting mix of spicy flavors—cumin seems to stand out in particular and cayenne pepper loners through the finish. The spices are strong but not overdone.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little airy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The spices make the finish a little dry.
O: This beer is quite unique and is quite spicy. It's not the easiest beer to drink but is probably as drinkable as you could get for a spiced beer.

12-02-2012 13:39:26 | More by metter98
smakawhat

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured on tap at full pour into a snifter glass at Churchkey.

A tan head is presented, with quite a bit of lacing while consuming, always leaves a good collar. Simple dark walnut brown/black body, quite opaque, pretty solid looking brew.

Nose is one giant wow, this is curry in a glass. It's all there, the milky coconut milk like cream, hints of curry powder and pepper. Lots of cumin! There is no sense of serious booming heat here either it's all nicely balanced like a good dish, it is truly mouthwatering!

Palate is all that and a bag of chips. Giant curry bomb with a classic powder angle with malt wetness to carry it. Under control. Milk stout like body though it's the only thing I can maybe fault if I want to split hairs, with a great coconut sweetness finish. Mild carbonation with good pepper powder action.

In one word, just flat up awesome. This is the kind of craft that really impresses me, just needs some cardamom or garam masala and we are taking this to the next level baby!

11-21-2012 00:43:35 | More by smakawhat
DocJitsu

4.48/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

11-04-2012 01:32:38 | More by DocJitsu