Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

On tap at the Scripps Ranch location

A: Black with a very thin dark brown head.

S: Good lord. Huge aromatic curry notes. To me it smelled like a Thai yellow curry. Coconut milk, cumin and spices. Amazing.

T: Lots of curry upfront with some coconut following. The finish brings a bit of roasted malts and powdered chocolate. I didn't think this beer was going to work, but somehow they pulled it off. Not sure I would want a full pint of this, but I'm glad I got to try it.

1.28/5  rDev -65.3%

Doopie brought this one out on beer night a few weeks back. Alrighty then...

From a bomber into a snifter
Basically described as an Indian curry in beer form

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour yields a one finger, thinner, foamy, light tan head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a full wisp. Clear bistre brown with higher levels of carbonation. A ring and slight wisp remain leaving no real lacing on the glass. Quite light, foamy and carbonated for the style.

SMELL: Nasty. I guess Indian curry is what they wanted, but why in the name of _____ would someone want that? Lots of curry and cumin all over the place. A bit of coconut and chocolate try to fight their way through, but it’s dominated by the Indian spices. Basically liquid curry.

TASTE: What the hell. Whoever thought of this should be fired immediately. Don’t waste any time and start firing. Awful. Lots of curry and cumin spices up front with harsh and hot finish dominated by heat and spices. The horror just doesn’t quit. Again, mass firings should be the only publicized result of this endeavor. This burns and burns hard. We should consider blaming this brew for various ill-advised decisions our world leaders have made and will make concerning the running and administration of our planet, as well as every disastrous consequences of a major military operation since WWI. Even with this, we’re letting Indra off easy.

PALATE: Slightly thinner body and medium levels of carbonation. Half creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a big burn and rake to the back of the throat at the swallow and finishes with piles of spicy heat. Hot and hot just lingers forever. Reminds me of hot curry madness.

OVERALL: *Shrugs shoulders* As if someone would ever do this on purpose. To be sure, I actually like Indian food and can appreciate a touch more heat than your average bear, but this is probably the most exact and accurate representation of “mistake” in physical form on the planet. I can picture the beards sitting around and debating whether they should release this beer or not… “Well, this sucks, but we need to sell it, and since the vast majority of our other beers are pretty awesome, enough people will give us the benefit of the doubt and buy a bottle so we can sell it all, then they’ll try it and hate it, but they won’t give up on us because of the other awesome stuff.” Well, okay, you’re right. You guys are great, but this… the only logical consequence from this is extreme firings. Extreme mass firings.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown pour sits opaque black. Dense, clay colored head. Despite it's auspicious beginning, all foam is gone by the time I finish my beer.

Smells like curry and coconut shreds over a pretty good export stout.

Cocoa and chile with an odd citrus something in back at first (the kaffir lime leaves?). As the beer warms the cocoa simmers down and the vanilla-y coconut stands out more. Hot cayenne fade. Smooth mouthfeel like a baltic porter.

Good grocery list beer. Usually the adjuncts are overpowering and messy or too subtle to be worthwhile but this was a good mix.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.24/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber at Holiday Wine Cellar President's Day weekend for $7.99.

Beer poured dark brown with a nice tan head.

Nose has hints of mocha, lime, and hot spices.

Taste initially is a base american stout, chocolate with a lingering heat that is pretty well crafted in.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and pretty smooth.

Overall this is well crafted recipe in which the spices are blended in well and not too overbearing but they do take the forefront and leave the base stout taste in the back seat.

3.59/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with just some fizzy bubbles rising. Looks like a glass of Pepsi.

Holy shit what a nose on this. Lime, coconut, curry are big big aromas. Some charred malt in there somewhere.

Odd spiced brew. I only truly got all the flavors by reviewing it. The choice of stout works as a vehicle to carry the rest of the flavors. Curry, lime, and essence of coconut. Then, huge cayenne burn, with a good charred malt bitter push. The spices and essence flavors move aside, and the cayenne and stout notes stay. Now it is a peppered stout. Finishes with a burn and an french roast coffee bitterness.

Fuller bodied with carbonation that, if you belch, brings a pepper burn back.

Interesting. One to share (as this is a bomber). Hard to finish, but not because you dislike it, but because it is just alot of spice.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

With all the different spices used to make this brew what did I smell, oak barrels.
Only latter as it warmed did i pick up other aromatics. The most aromatic was coconut.
Next would be curry paste.
A light black or ruby brown color with a fast fading head.
Taste is spicy. With coconut and curry and hot cayenne.
I think the stout beer itself is a bit lost amongst the spices.
Drinks smooth and hot.
The best part was the aroma, quite fragrant.
This is a fun beer with a lot of things going on but I think it's too spicy in that it's not balanced well. If the spices were more in line with the stout malts so they each complimented each other, bam!, you got a winner.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, with a thin tan head that fades quickly and no visible carbonation.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on here. Complex and unique. My first thought is Indian food - curry and lime - with some spicy peppers and black pepper, tobacco and musty leather notes like an old book, and just a bit of cacao. This smells a bit like you stuck your head into a spice cabinet. Fascinating, and I can't stop smelling it.

T: Starts with big curry and dark roasted malts - but the curry and spices dominate. Then there's a definite citrus lime flavor in the middle. Near the swallow, there's a cayenne pepper kick that lasts after the swallow and remains noticeable in the esophagus and on the lips. Interesting and tasty, but I'm not sure I could drink an entire bottle.

M: Full-bodied, low carbonation sensation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well, this was exactly what it said was going to be. It was a different and challenging beer for me. Very interesting, and I think I would recommend it for someone looking to try something very different or as a change of pace. Certainly not an everyday drinker.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company