Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
4.21/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pours rich motor oil. Smell is of spice. Cumin and coconut. Taste is amazing. Curry and cayenne and coconut. Flavours meld well. Nice medium balanc on mouth feel. (164 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Dark black with a milk chocolate head, with plenty of fish eyes.

S: There is a lot going on here. The front is curry and almost gives me a little bit of a taco seasoning thing... odd.. but behind that there is a sweet coconut and chocolate aroma..

T: Man that is weird. Curry up front, with a touch of spiciness, which mellows into dark chocolate, coconut, and roasted grains, followed by a hint of lime. It is certainly interesting, but I don't know if I like it. I enjoy the multitude of different flavors, but am not sure

M: Medium in feel, with fairly active carbonation.

O: Overall this beer is a misfit. It is certainly interesting, and well made, but I am not sure if the flavor profile is up my alley. It is interesting that this multitude of flavors works together in one brew which is impressive, just not sure if I love it. (851 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz bottle served in a stout glass. Pours black, tinged with red, and forms a moderate brown head. Aroma is of sweet curry, with a prominent coconut smell, along with turmeric and myriad other curry flavors. It actually reminds me of an oak-aged funky porter I've had from another brewery -- a fantastic one, mind you -- so I'm hopeful that these flavors work really well together in beer. Flavor combines the curry flavors from the aroma with spicy cayenne and green curry leaf. The result is really tasty and enjoyable but regrettably hot (spicy). Still, this might be the most enjoyable Chili beer I've ever had.

Probably wouldn't come back to this one, but if they'd turn down the capsicum in the recipe this could be an A+ sweet stout. (748 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

The adjuncts in this beer work so well together. Coconut at first followed by hints of lime and a curry finish that creeps up on you. This beer's not for everyone so be sure you enjoy these ingredients before you buy it. (222 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really don't know what to think of this beer. It's so different to the point of I'm more intrigued by what's in it than how to enjoy it. It's almost not a beer. I definitely should of had this with a certain type of food to bring out the taste for. In conclusion, it's not a beer for everyone but worth tasting due to the challenge it presents on the palate. (360 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Initially saw "Limited release... Stout ... Ballast Point" ... Poured a nice dark looking stout ...Read the fine print after the first sip when I caught coconut, hot pepper, and other flavors i have yet to define...Didn't see that coming. (Note to self ..read the label ) The coconut is a touch stronger than the Koko Brown from Kona , the hot pepper has a zip to it. Overall not bad, very interesting, but once may be enough. As with other hot peeper brews, 12 oz is interesting, 22 is a little much. (and I love spicy foods) (527 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of the crazier beers I've had in recent memory. Previous reviews highlighting curry and cayenne balanced out by lime and coconut are spot on. This really is like drinking a carbonated Indian dish. Every sip brings to mind a spicy curry, before it even hits your lips. People who don't care for spice are going to hate this beer in a big way, like not being able to drink it kind of hate. I would recommend letting this warm just a bit into the mid 40s, and a 12 oz pour is more than enough. In fact a single bottle is something a couple of drinkers could split to get the full effect of the kunindra. (604 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. Pours a pitch black color with over an inch of khaki head. Almost no lacing. Spicy curry aroma with lots of cumin and coconut. Hint of lime. The taste is lots of Thai green curry flavor. Coconut, curry, and lime blended nicely with some roasted malts and dark chocolate. But make no mistake though, this is mostly curry flavored. Spicy but not really that hot. Light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Good beer that is pretty interesting. Not sure about the 22oz bottle format but oh well. Overall, a good and different beer that I couldn't drink all the time but is definitely worth trying. (607 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +29.8%

For my money, it doesn't get much better than this. Deep dark brown color with robust head that really let's you breathe in that curry and coconut aroma. The curry hits your taste buds immediately, and sticks around when the heat from the cayenne kicks in. I don't detect the lime until the aftertaste, but it rounds out a terrific experience, and makes you want to go right back in for another sip. If you don't like curry, don't bother, you wouldn't understand the brilliance that is this beer. (497 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -68.9%

I've never had a beer I couldn't finish. Smell and taste are awful.. very over powering..however I still think ballast point is one of the best breweries in the nation in terms of quality (187 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Since I liked Stone Spicy Chai, it wasn't a surprise that the flavor combination really worked for me. The smooth flavor of the coconut nicely balanced out the latter sharp taste of cayenne, curry, and cumin. When tasting the coconut, the base stout flavors really come out. Ballast Point does make outstanding porters and stouts.

I started with a taster at Ballast Point Miramar, ordered a pint, and ended up purchasing a bottle! (431 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As noted in the reviews below, this could be a very polarizing beer. I happened to wind up on the 'like' side of things. Deep brownish/black hue (especially in the light), and barely any discernible head by the time the pours arrived. Curry and spice notes were dominant, and I did not get much of a coconut presence at all. This was very interesting in that the spiciness, etc. of the brew made for a very interesting tingle in the already coating and viscous mouthfeel. I would definitely suggest a sampler pour (I had a 4oz) as opposed to a bomber if you get the chance. While I thought it was very good (and again, what it was advertised to be), I am not sure that I would go for an entire bottle. I feel as though this would be a great beer to pair with various spicy dishes as well (as I am beginning to learn a bit more of that in the updated BA magazine!). (864 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours very dark with a thick caramel head. Smells are curry, coconut and lots of other spices. Taste was very disappointing, they are trying to do too much and the curry overpowers everything. Very strong aftertaste. Overall not what I would expect from Ballast Point, they are usually one of my go to brewers. (314 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +20.2%

I did not expect to like this very much, but surprisingly enough the flavor combination really worked for me. The sweetness of the coconut nicely balanced out the heat of the cayenne (and curry, to a lesser extent). The cumin and lime didn't come through as much. Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it beer. I should also mention - I had this at a bar, started by getting a taster and liked it enough to get a 5 oz pour as part of a sampler paddle. Getting through a full 22 oz bomber would no doubt be a challenge by myself. (519 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From bottle into tulip glass. Dark brown in colour with some slight lace.

S - pungent spice, kefir lime, curry spice.

T - coconut, cumin, really rich spice with a growing cayenne kick, some mild roast barley but really it is hard to pick up, it is more like liquid curry.

M - aggressive spiciness to it, maybe balanced a little by the creaminess of the stout and coconut, long lingering aftertaste.

This is probably THE most different and unique beer I have ever had. Truly this a very representative experience of the curry spices contained within this beer. Rich robust aroma and a spicy hearty curried taste, after some of the spice edges off it becomes quite an interesting interplay of the spice, lime and coconut, with the dark malt. Quite a satisfying curry beer. Really strongly flavoured though, getting through 22 oz by myself was a real challenge. (862 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It might just be the chef in me but I thought the curry balance was spot in with everything. As a taster this is great, but 12 oz of this would be tough. (153 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very interesting beer. Love the spices and dig the idea for this brew. Definitely a beer you need to research before buying since its very different than any foreign extra stout I've ever had. Share with a friend also because it's STRONG flavored.

Cheers! (256 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You get exactly what they promote with this beer -- India spices, curry, and tons of flavor packed into a nice export stout. Don't hate because you aren't as much of a curry fan as you thought. No false advertising here. (220 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle. Decent starting head that settles quickly to a thin layer of bubbles. Good initial ring lace, spots thereafter. The color is dark, dark brown where no light passes even along the edge.

Notes of black cherry, a hot spice (cayenne?), and ginger. I also detect in small amounts some dark cocoa and chalk. Smells like an unsweetened ginger snap with hot peppers.

The flavor starts normally for an Export Stout. The swallow has a touch of berry sweetness, but the aftertaste is jalapeño pepper with a touch of chocolate. Overall, very complex and interesting. The body is neutral and the carbonation is a bit high for the style. (668 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -67.6%

I truly enjoy stouts. That being said, I would recommend finding something else to try. Ordinarily I wouldn't even take the time of day to write a review about any consumer goods. However, I felt that it was my duty as a human being to warn my fellow man about this god awful abomination. DON'T FUCKING BUY THIS BEER. It is without a doubt the worst purchase I have made in regards to an alcoholic beverage. Curry is not a flavor you want in beer. I don't care how much you like Indian food. You would be better off licking the ball sack of a homeless man from Deli. I drank less than 3 Oz. of this brew and am still burping up an awful tasting blend of cinnamon, cumin and curry even as I type this review. WASTE OF MONEY (722 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of spiced beers, took a sip and ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It does have a complex flavor of spices but it is almost too much to handle when drinking. It felt like I was drinking Indian food. I am sure that was something they were trying to emulate, but it just didn't taste right to me. (311 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

I was really expecting to hate this beer considering the combination of flavors involved. I was VERY wrong! I actually really really liked this beer. The coconut and lime flavor hit up front and it gradually fades to the cayenne heat on the end. Such a strange flavor combination that actually works. My only complaint is that it pretty much smells like straight chilli powder. Other than that, it's great. (412 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty bad as expected. Curry is one of the worst tastes on earth. The coconut makes it almost tolerable but doesn't work for me. Worth a try once then never again. (167 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

wow! tried 2015 bottle. i will have to get another bottle. love the lime and coconut at the beginning then fades to cinnamon, curry, and lastly the cayenne than creeps in at the end then stout malt. this is truly exotic. I thought this was well executed. (257 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The flavors of lime coconut curry spice don't sound like they would work but everything goes over so well really nice change of pace will seek these out (152 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last