Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know! (763 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Wow... This beer is the most interesting beer I've ever had by far! These are spices I'm very familiar with. The smell is an aggressive hit of curry, cumin and cayenne for sure. The taste is sweet chocolate with a finish of all the spices in the nose. I absolutely love it. If you want a new experience in beer, and you like Indian food or spicy Asian food, this is a must try. Mixed reviews are totally understandable, but I'll always remember this beer. (455 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. goose island pint glass.

black in color with a mild head. smell is intriguing, its got the chocolate and malts of a stout but its also got this spicy, hot aroma to it too. the taste is very similar, full bodied stout with a big kick of spiciness on the back end. the heat becomes overwhelming as you continue through the glass, which hurts drinkability.

overall good if you like hot stuff, but its quite spicy. (451 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

So Raul is just laying low at tha Joint, The Playground, in Downtown Santa Ana, CA on another bright and sunny Sunday afternoon. And although this isn't your "Sunday drinking" beer, Raul has no complaints about it.

This thang is kind of like that Aubrey Plaza hoochie; I mean, I would, again and again, but Raul couldn't exactly tell you why. There's something exotic and intoxicating about it, but its foreign enough that Raul cannot put a place on it.

Yep! (460 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nearly opaque body with brownish hues beneath the foamy, tan head which quickly dissappears to leave no trace of its existence.

There are hints of the traditional export stout characteristics such as roasted malt but the beer is really highlighted by the curry, cayenne pepper, and especially the lime leaf on the nose.

The flavor starts off quite roasted with a touch of bread and a touch of char. As it warms, the "India Style" kicks into high gear with copious amounts of curry, a nice kick of cayenne spice which is then followed by the lime leaf to smooth.

This brew is medium in body and carbonation but the mouthfeel is really highlighted by the spicy kick left to coat your palate.

I found this beer to be really enjoyable if the consumer can sit back and appreciate what the brewer was looking to accomplish. If you're benchmark for this style is Guinness Foreign Export, this may not be the beer for you. But the collaboration on this beer really did a nice job incorporating the "India Style" ingredients to a traditional brew. (1,050 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours jet black with a brown-ish head. In the aroma, curry, cayenne pepper, and small lime citrus. In the taste, lime, small curry, and notes of cayenne pepper spice. A small spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lime cayenne pepper, and curry notes in the aftertaste. Big lime, mellow curry and big spice in the end. Different, but enjoyable. (369 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty. (422 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well it's interesting to say at least. A stout by color and maybe malts, but I would say the body was a bit more like a dark ale. The spices of cinnamon and curry dominate the flavor profile. There is a root beer/licorice quality that develops as the beer warms. Carbonation is low. I think that it is worth a try as it is truly a unique brew. (343 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very hard beer to review. To my knowledge, no one has ever brewed a beer with curry. It sounds like a risky idea at best.

We'll start with the obvious. This beer tastes like curry, and it's not subtle. You can smell it right away, but the taste dominates the palate. I like curry, so this isn't a bad thing. It would be easy to say that the curry flavor dominates the flavor profile, but the term "curry" has more than one definition. "Curry" is both a specific spice as well as a combination of flavors. If you order a curry dish at a restaurant, it will contain curry leaf as well as things like cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime.

From wikipedia: Curry is the generic English term primarily employed in Western culture to denote a wide variety of dishes whose origins are in Indian cuisine and Southeast Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian or Fijian. Their common feature is the incorporation of more or less complex combinations of spices and/or herbs, usually (but not invariably) including fresh or dried hot chillies.

This beer tastes like an authentic Indian meal. The flavor combination of this particular beer is very well balanced if you understand what curry really means. It's a tough thing to explain, but I hope I've done a decent job.

The beer is very dry, like a good stout should be. The hops are more subtle than I thought they would be, and that works just fine to let the unique flavors shine.

Easily one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. This is a drink that appeals to both the beer lover and foodie in me. I'm not always into beers with crazy flavors, but Indra Kunindra is mind-boggling and one of a kind. It's not often that a beer will blow my mind anymore; i've tried many. The best thing about this beer is the risk taken in releasing it. For $10 a bottle, a beer had better be something special. This could have been a giant train-wreck, but instead it raises the bar of what's possible in brewing. (2,006 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Milky black, which is to say that it's opaque. Just a small ring of foam. I guess it doesn't want to sit too well in a pint glass. Even the ring eventually disappears. Looks like flat cola now.

Holy shit. That's a hell of a nose. Let me give this a shot. Other than the fact that it smells like a sweet chicken curry dish, I'm gonna try to break it down. First off... okay, I'm just going to name what comes to mind in descending order. Cumin, lemongrass, lime, coconut, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coriander, dark roasty malts, chocolate, nutmeg, and a savory staleness to finish it off. No hops, just a dull earthiness. Over-the-top umami. Love the Kaffir lime addition. Totally unreal nose. One of the most impressive noses on a beer that I've ever experienced. Do you think they nailed it???

First sip... ... ...

I'm a little speechless...

Taste follows the nose, but with the heat added. Curry powder, hot chili powder, cumin, sweet lime, vanilla, cinnamon, lemongrass, coconut water, chocolate mole, minerally roast grain, nutmeg and mulling spices, dried banana, musty earthiness, and cayenne pepper. Looking for a complex beer? Ha! This one is ree-dic. A nice level 6 or 7 spice, according to a cook at a Thai restaurant. Export Stout? Sure! Whatever you say! I swear, I'd like to eat this beer for dinner three or four times a month. I think this tastes great enough to give it a 4.5.

Thin. The flavors carry out better that way, perhaps. Still, I'd like a little more body than a flaccid and semi-flat watery juice beer. I guess with a recipe like this, you don't need to pay attention to all the details? Still, it suffers here.

I'm starting to second-guess what I look for in an Export Stout. Maybe they should all taste like authentic Indian curry and have a bite that stings. Spicy? I like. Savory? I like. This is a beer that I need to stock up (at least, in this household). My girlfriend calls this the best beer she has EVER had. I disagree, but it might not be too far off. I'm a sucker. Ballast Point nailed it and no one can take that away from them. You're a bold-faced liar if you think this could've been much better. Do you like Indian food? Do you crave the strange and the exotic? C'mon now folks, not much noticeable booze and the idea becomes fruition. Invent a style for a beer like this, and it's a record that will never be broken. So good. (2,374 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Feel compelled to do the full review thing here; this brew knocked me for a loop.

A: It has that "really really dark brown as opposed to midnight black" thing that other-than-monstrous stouts seem to have. Can't see through it, but it's not quite the ebon void of deep space, either.

S: I've heard others claim it smells just like Indian curry. They aren't lying. I'm officially scared. What have I gotten myself into?

T: Wow. This is how you do savory spices in a beer. Just enough chocolatey sweetness to balance the curry, cumin, and cayenne. Speaking of cayenne, it's quite noticeable in the finish, but in more of a "hey, there was pepper in what you just ingested. Just thought you should know" way as opposed to a "so this is what pain tastes like" feeling.

M: I am a BIG fan of cake-batter-thick stouts, so I'm forced to mark this down even as I acknowledge that this spice blend probably wouldn't work in a 40-weight brew.

O: I really liked this beer, but then again I also like Indian curry, naan bread, samosas, and certain Bollywood flicks, so your mileage may vary. I say pick it up. (1,101 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What an amzingly balanced beer. So many interesting flavors in my mouth. Huge notes of curry and spices finishing with a magical waterfall of coconut. A great beer to share with friends after a nice meal. I'd love to meet the guy who came up with this recipe. (259 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle served in a tumbler glass. Pours a cola color with a fizzy, brown and almost instantly diminishing head. Aroma is roasted malt, cumin, curry, pepper, and chocolate. Flavor is roasted malt, curry, pepper, lime, vanilla, a hint of coconut, and chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, dry, bitter, low carbonation, and mighty spicy. Very interesting beer, the aroma is slightly scary, but the malt background allows a bit of a balance with the spiciness. (457 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bomber into 2 snifters, jet black with a moderate head. The aroma is lots of spicey curry. the spiciness of the curry is the dominant flavor, there are also subtle hints of sweetness in the finish. the body is moderate, good carbonation. lad I split it with a friend. One of the more interesting brews I have had, but if you are not a fan of Indian food don't pick this one up, for me the curry was a little too much. (431 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Best By 3/12/14. Picked this up on one of my journeys to California.

A: Poured a jet black color, no light can permeate the glass. Beer has an average viscosity. Half finger head that settled to a paper thin ring around the glass. Carbonation appears very fine.

S: Incredible. You inhale and get a refreshing breeze of coconut, lime, pepper and curry. As others have mentioned, if you breathe deeply, you will get some burn! Dark fruit, and caramel round out the nose.

T: Begins with some vanilla, caramel and builds into a collaboration of Indian spices, banana, and coconut. Ends with massive heat on the back end, your palate stings of cayenne, black pepper, and red curry. True to form! No hint of any alcohol flavor.

M: Body is a little on the thin side for a stout, this may be more of a chile ale style. Your mouth develops a burning sensation after awhile, which in my mind, is not a sensation I desire with beer.

O: I couldn't imagine how good with would go with some butter chicken or any curried meat. Never had a beer like this before, but what a masterpiece of building Indian/Thai qualities into a beer. (1,123 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stoked to try this!

Served in a Port City snifter.

A: Poured black as night and with no head whatsoever. Lots of particles floating around in the beer though. Curious.

S: Holy crap this is a curry bomb! Along with the cumin, coconut, and Kaffir lime, to say this is "India-style" is an understatement.

T: Not for all tastes, for sure. If you hate these spices, this won't be your thing. It's amazing that you can taste each and every one of these spices. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

M: Just enough carbonation to be dangerous, and I really dug the milkiness added by the coconut. That especially rounded out the finish... while the cumin burns the back of your throat!

O: Come one peeps, you know you love this beer! The most unique brew of 2013 so far. I'd have it again. (771 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

I don't care if you don't like curry, you have to admit this beer is brilliantly made! horrifically underrated here on BA. this pours a radiant inky black color, unsuspicious, and boasting an inch or so of lacy mocha head. the nose is just insane, like dank takeout indian food. there is all of the elements, curry powder, cumin, which is very strong, kaffir lime leaf, which is almost refreshing amidst all the dark roast, and coconut, to sweeten things up. there is also the cayenne, if you take a really hard sniff, it almost burns the nostrils, true to form. the taste is every bit as good as the nose, like exceptional takeout food. the curry is strong, the cumin is fresh, the chili is just in the finish, and the coconut and lime leaf cut through some of the other heavy flavors. I can only imagine how many times they made this beer wrong or out of proportion before they got it right. it certainly is dialed now, seriously fantastic. the mix of flavors here is like nothing I would have ever expected in a beer. I have to say, a whole bottle would have been too much, and im not sure im in a hurry to find this again, but what a wonderful treat to get to try such a creative and artfully crafted bottle of beer. this is really something special, and it puts the countless spiced beers to shame. you wont believe this beer until you taste it! (1,350 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beauty on tap at Savor 2012 in DC and was fortunate enough to be in San Diego last week to have it on site as fresh as can be. Once you put your nose to your pint you are hit with various wonderful aromas that compose this delightful beer.

You don't get hit with the heat right away, it comes right at the end and it just leaves you wanting more and more. It's nice and subtle and very approachable as far as taste. Your mouth and brain are lost as to what they are experiencing with the first sip, yet everything begins to come in balance and in order after the first, second and third sip.

A good "snack" to have with this pint is some good fresh toasted coconut macaroons as they pair absolutely perfect with this beer. Oh and is curry and the other spices and afrodisiak? Well they seemed to be for me. (822 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an opaque yet clear very dark brown (approaching jet black) in color with some light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some cola brown highlights. The beer has a half finger tall dense foamy light tan head that reduces to a medium patch of very thin film with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted malts underneath the light aromas of toasted coconut and Indian spices - cumin, curry, and kaffir leaves stand out.

T: Similar to the smell, there are light flavors of roasted malts underneath the more pronounced flavors of the Indian spices. There is a light presence of coconut with moderate to strong flavors of cumin and curry. Slightly light flavors of kaffir leaves and cayenne pepper. There is a moderate amount of lingering spicy burn.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of dryness from the spices in the finish.

O: There is a surprising amount of spiciness to this beer - probably a bit hotter than the average Indian food that I have ordered all over the US. There is a nice amount of kick to the spiciness but it does make the beer a little tougher to drink much of - definitely reduces the drinkability. Lots of complexity to the flavors and smells. Don't think I could have more than one of these. (1,367 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle purchased at Carolina Blue in Pitman, NJ. Thank you, Karl.
Karl gifted my friends and I with this on xmas eve, where I gifted my friends with tickets to Mumford and Sons. I purchased 5-6 bottles for future consumption after having this.
Poured into a standard pint glass.

AP: Not much of a head upon pouring this one, which means little carbonation, the way I prefer my Stouts. Black colour with some sediment suspended in the liquid.
AR: Coconut, lime, curry spice, , chocolate, roasted grains/malts. Very intriguing and inviting.
T: You wouldn't think the combination of curry, coconut, Kaffir lime, cayenne and cumin would work in a Stout but it does. Don't know how Ballast Point does it, but am so glad they do. You can taste each individual flavour in this brew, with the addition of chocolate and black bread. Very tasty and enticing. A nice spicy warmth to this beer that makes it the perfect Winter night sipper, or any cool (rainy) night for that matter.
M: TBH, a bit light for a Stout with some bubbly carbonation up front, but a decent creamy mouth feel and a tongue-coating sticky finish of the spicy flavours.
OV: Very very enjoyable. One of my favourites to drink either by itself or to pair with food. Again, don't know how Ballast Point managed to get all these flavours to blend and work together, but they did. So much flavour here if you're a both a beer geek and foodie who appreciates things 'outside the box'. Seems a couple reviewers didn't get the aspect BP was going for. (1,512 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a rather light-bodied brown-black hue, with a very minimal head that forms as a fuzz of mild brown and then almost disappears entirely. No lace, no visible carbonation. I have to say it looks a little underwhelming.

Nose, though: amazing. Buckets of coconut, kaffir lime, turmeric up the wazoo. Some candied orange characters, along with a hint of the depth of the stout. Spicy and sweet, with a richness like wandering through a south-Asian marketplace. It's fresh and bright, and yet dank and deep at the same time, just like a big, rich Indian curry. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Taste is also excellent. Here the spices take the depth a little more seriously, with some of the more earthy tones coming through more strongly. Still lots of turmeric, pepper, kalonji mingled with lighter herbier tones of fenugreek and coriander. Better yet is that the beer rises up to support it, with a solid chocolatey tone on the back. After a while, the pepper character builds up, leaving a pronounced spiciness on the finish, but it's only a suitable effect from the flavours.

Feel is a little too light for my liking: I think it could do with a little bit more body in both the flavour and the palate. That may make this superb.

Overall, I'm very impressed. This is a supremely interesting beer that manages both to do something unique, and to provide a balanced and comprehensive beer experience. Extremely interesting and engaging stuff. (1,486 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a black color with a short brown head that settles into a light ring. The shade of brown was a bit different, not sure if that was due to the spices.

The nose is quite interesting. The curry really stands out, which goes nicely with the coconut. The cumin is noticable but not strong. Some roast and caramel pop through but it doesn't really get by the curry aroma. You must like curry to enjoy the aroma.

The taste is big on the curry and coconut. The roasted malt stands out more and provides a dark fruit note. The cumin and cayenne come next with the latter providing a noticable heat. Some vanilla and caramel notes as well. This really tastes like a curry dish.

The feel is moderate with prickly carbonation, drinks fairly crisp for a stout. A bit thin for a stout. Spicy on the palate with roast bitterness and heat in the finish.

This has to be a polarizing brew. You must like the spices added to like this beer. Fortunately I do and this is one of Ballast Points better "pepper series" brews. I am a little worried that the flavor profile may get cloying by the time I get to the end of the bottle. (1,118 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle shared by Jason, 650ml into a tulip. Best before October 12, 2013.

Black, translucent at the edges. Tan head. Nose of lime, coconut milk, cayenne and curry are quite prominent as well. Ultra-unique, really smells of Indian cuisine. Tastes again of lime and coconut, cayenne and roast are there. Dark chocolate as well, cayenne stings into the finish. Medium thin body (suited to the beer) with a lower medium carbonation. An original beer, spice and the dregs of every glass poured is super spicy. (506 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A: into a snifter large, dark brown pour yields black body of beer with a finger of tan head

S: dark roasted malt and Indian-style spices

T: like a chile stout, throughout the dark malt's espresso-ish flavors, tons of smoky cumin, stinging cayenne, and curry; hints of sweet coconut and drying lime flavors

M: light and smooth but the stinging nettles of hot cayenne pepper will either delight you or puit you off, depending on your tastes for such things

O: as fas as I'm concerned, this is a chile stout - and I really like that kind of thing, but I also understand that others may not - the cayenne is very dominant, accented with smoke and lime, and underscored by the dark stout malts and their respective flavors. (723 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%

22 oz. bottle. Enjoy by 1/2/13. Woops.

Very dark maple syrup brown. Finger of dense, marshmallowy, peanut brown head. Very nice lacing up the glass. Nose is heavily spice-laden! Coconut is at the forefront, backed by cayenne, and lime. Some other muddled spice as well. Licorice, lightly roasted malt, and toasted marshmallow. Interesting...maybe a little scary.

Well, the taste definitely follows the aroma. Light roasted and chocolate notes up front. Hint of nougat. Indian spices make a grand entrance and kind of take over the palate. Coconut lays the base, overlaid with spicy cayenne, some cumin, and tangy, citrusy lime. Cayenne spice picks up into the finish. Lingering coconut, chocolate malt, and lime. Medium-full body, with a creamy, smooth feel. Very interesting and nicely done. Might not want to drink this everyday, but would love to try it with some Indian food.

Definitely an India-style export stout! (922 characters)

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company