Follow our progress ...

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 288 | Ratings: 1,205
4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Basin Pub in Bushnell's Basin, NY.

Holy shit, what a weird beer.

Pours a fairly dark black, with a small quarter inch tan head, and a good amount of lacing.

The aroma on this one? Wow. It really does smell like spicy curry. Somehow in my mind I thought they were lying or something and this would just be a nice regular stout. Nope. There's curry powder, cayenne pepper, and chocolate, all miraculously working together.

The taste is also pretty good, surprisingly. This is far from something I could drink a ton of, 4 oz is just enough. There's a distinct and delicious curry powder flavor, and cumin, as well, up front, buried by chocolate and hot peppers. The pepper flavor lingers for a while, and is actually quite spicy. I get a little bit of coconut on some sips too, but not on all of them. Against all odds, this tastes good. I'm really impressed with the beer's ability to make put flavors together in a beer that should never be there, and actually make the flavors work.

This one is medium bodied, with a dry, spicy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's a slow sipper, due to the intensity of the unusual flavors.

This really worked. I'm quite impressed with Ballast Point. Is it something I could drink all day? No, not at all. Should everybody try at least a little bit? Definitely.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark color with a tan head.
S - toasted and dark chocolate with lots of spice
T - Coconut with lots of curry and cayenne.
M - Medium body
O - Like curry and spice you will enjoy it. It certain to be unique.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry.

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%

3.5/4/4.25/4.5/4.25
I have never had anything quite like this. I was making curry for dinner tonight anyway, so I figured what an opportune time to crack this little bottle open. After experimenting with a couple of different 'unconventional' brews the past couple of days, my expectations were... well attenuated.
The pour provided not much overly exciting. Standard deep brown, with a decent sized creamy off white head. My aggressive pour left a decent head towering, but it settled in to a little film over the top in fairly short order.

Upon first inspection, I thought that my nose was overwhelmed by the stove. I smelled what I thought was the turmeric and curry paste and cumin. So I stepped outside. Still there, with a faint undertone of something creamy and roasty. Huh.

Taking a sip, my confused conclusion was confirmed. A firm foundation of a well craft roasty stout is augmented by the adjuncts listed on the label. The coconut adds a creamy smootheness to it, almost like a milk stout, while the lime gives it some sweet and some bitter, but what really stood out is how well incorporated the curry spices were, and how they seemed to weave seamlessly through the traditional stout characteristics. Finally, there is a very definite burn from the pepper, but not overwhelming. As with well spiced food, it accents the experience, highlighting certain characteristics without overpowering or distracting. Probably the most enjoyable incorporation of pepper heat into a beer that I can remember (there have been others that incorporate the FLAVOUR etc of peppers as well or better, but just looking at the heat aspect, this was probably the best fit I can recall)

Initially I wasn't sure what to expect of this, especially after sniffing it as I poured. This could VERY easily have been some bizarre and unintelligible mess ala some of the voodoo doughnut collabos, but damn Ballast Point nailed it with this one. Taking a completely left field combination and not only making it fit and play nice with itself, but to craft something so purely enjoyable... my hat's off.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

I'm not sure how to rate this beer. It's really unique. Had on draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

Smells like curry.
Tastes like liquid curry sauce with a side of stout. It's well done but I really felt like I was eating a curry dish. Very strange beer drinking experience indeed.

What is Hindi for "ay caramba"? This is a highly unusual beer. It is Capetown Curry in a glass. Strong spices: cumin dominates but also other sweeter notes. And a peppery kick. Color nearly opaque dark brown. A worthwhile left-fieldish beer I would definitely get again. (You maybe literally COULD make curry with it, but is maybe a little high priced for a cooking ingredient.)

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Black beer with dark brown hues, light mocha head. Smells is dark chocolate, toasted coconut, burnt sugar, brown sugar. Taste is toasty coconut, marshmellow, creamy coconut, cumin, cinamin spice, some juicy orange, and pepper heat towards the end that dries the beer out. Overall a solid beer.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Looks like a dark beer. Yeah, dark brown, like a soft siesta. Head is beige, nice-looking, like a woman. This head is a woman.

Smell is spice-gasmic. Mildly tickles you with roast, then takes you on a cable car, presenting you with anise and clovey vistas. And nothing else.

Taste has a similar note, but a touch of roast, before it forays into spice territory, and what a Leroy Jenkinsian foray! Pepper, even chilli there, plus anise, then finish is dry, with some vanilla pods and odd herbal pepper notes as well. It is a decidedly odd chap, but one I decidedly like.

Foamy, really odd spicy notes on the back. Weird.

You meet this chap on the street. He reads you some new wave beat poetry. It's avant-garde. It's weird. I can't help but like him though. He's definitely his own beer.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 4/21/2014. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 2 finger fairly dense tan head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and the wide variety of spices; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Moderate earthy spices and heat on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, toast, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and big spice flavors; with a nice malt/spice balance with no cloying flavors after the finish and a moderate amount of lingering heat. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth and fairly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol was well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish other than the heat from the spices. Overall this was a very nice spiced stout. All around good complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and spice flavors; and quite smooth to sip on despite the moderate heat. A very enjoyable offering.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with two finger ring at top. Very frothy head. Overpowering smell of spices. Smoother on the front end, very strong taste of cayenne and curry on the finish. I feel like this one should be left to age a little while; too much spice. Felt as though I were drinking strong rum. Definitely the most unique brew I have ever had. Glad to have tried it, probably would not willingly drink another.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: extremely dark brown with what appears to be a moderate haze and some ruby highlights. Head is a thick finger of frothy tan foam with decent retention. I find it quite attractive!

Smell: whelp, it smells like a good curry. I would not have guessed this was a beer based on aroma alone. As an export stout -- it doesn't really apply. As an herbed/spiced beer, it's not too bad; it's also pretty much as-advertised. I'm genuinely ambivalent about this.

Taste: nicely stouty with plenty of that crazy curry. The coconut really comes through in the flavor, and overall this is an astonishingly balanced beer for all of the stuff going on in it. Is it a novelty? Maybe. But one I'd be happy to drink again.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: what a weird beer. Definitely in a category all its own. I love its flavors, though I'm not sure I love them in beer. Still, it's ten times more successful than most chile or otherwise oddly-spiced brews.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Aromas of malty curry. Absolutely no other way to describe that! Vanilla curry that melts into a roasted oatiness. Moderate hops that are relatively low bitterness. Finish is thick with a mild coffee aftertaste. The curry is strong in this one and lives up to my expectations.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with the new branded label--a picture of an octopus holding the various ingredients that contribute to the unique taste of this stout. There is some date information on the bottom of the label, but it seems to have been rubbed off, so I can't tell what vintage this is. Poured into a large glass stein with a textured exterior.

Appearance - Pours a dark chestnut brown color that hints towards almost black. Atop the body sits a healthy one finger head of dense frothy cocoa colored foam. Retention is good, with the head beginning to resemble the moon, with mini craters of pockmarks dotting the surface. Lacing is sparse and slightly sticky.

Smell - Mostly, there are the traditional profiles you'd expect from a stout, with roasty grain and charred toast as well as bittersweet notes of dark chocolate. However, there is a subtle presence from the curry spicing, reminiscent of garam masala with notes of cinnamon, clove and cardamom alongside the cumin and coconut that is added to the beer. I don't get much from the Kaffir lime leaves or cayenne, but I'm intrigued.

Taste - Surprisingly, a lot of the same curry elements come through in the taste, but in a subtle, complementary fashion to the base stout. Roasted malt and light char bitterness are enhanced by the notes of cinnamon, coconut and cumin from the spicing. Cayenne is present, but very faint at first--that said, it provides a cumulative but not at all overpowering heat as I continue to drink the beer. It's not the type of beer that you could just have anytime, but the infusion of traditional Indian spices is very well done here. Quite impressive.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate carbonation and a slightly sweet, spicy finish.

Overall, a very well done beer from Ballast Point. I've had stouts that infused Indian spices before without nearly as much success. This one manages to have a very forward presence from the spicing without it being overpowering or cloying. I would gladly drink this beer again if I was in the right mood. It made me want to go get some tikka masala for dinner.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, nearly black with a large tan head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: sweet coconut and chilii pepper, curry powder, dark chocolate, coffee

T: sweet lime and oily coconut up front, all of a sudden upon swallowing an awful cayene pepper and dirty curry powder flavor overpowers all others

M: medium to full body, slightly slick

O: the beer is ok except for the taste, that part is rough

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It pours black with a light tan head. It reeks of curry making you less than excited to try the beer. Mouthfeel is good; very smooth and creamy. It's not a bad beer but the curry is very overpowering making it very hard to finish a full glass. However surprisingly the curry, cayenne and other spices compliment each other very well. In the end the curry was just a bit too much. I recommend this beer for uniqueness alone. Try it!

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- frothy, dark khaki-colored head with spots of pale white. Three fingers big. Pitch black body. Lace is thick and forms a film above the body.

S- Spice, lime, peppery heat attacks my nostrils. Sweet malt is there. Seems a bit subdued like a few months back (or weeks) the smell would have been ferocious. Some chocolate reminds me of a spicy latte.

T- The curry and lime immediately suggest a Thai broth. Chocolate makes a delayed entrance. Caramel too.

M- Aggressive spice heats the tongue and lime seems to egg on the conversation. It's got a mean bite. The beer eventually smooths out and the creaminess becomes more apparent, but the tongue will burn long after. There is a dryness to the beer that is hard to notice due to the heat.

O- I wish the different flavors blended together better rather than seeming to come in separate waves. The lime and spice are so dominant I hardly could detect much else initially. Still a fun, tasty and aggressive beer. I like when breweries concoct stuff like this.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black with a one-finger tan head
S: You can smell the curry from a mile away. Very unique and enjoyable. A bit of cocoa/wheat but those are very subtle
T: Spicy, mostly curry but also cayenne. Spice steals first, second and third with just a bit of cocoa to round it out. Not a typical stout but unique and not bad at all
M: Medium-bodied, spicy
O: If anything this is a bit too much of a good thing. I love curry but this is nothing but. A bit of beer would make a nice balance. That being said, I really like it and given what it is it's a home run

3.94/5  rDev +4%

22oz bottle at 41 F split between a pair of big snifters. 021 D-1 0524 is the bottle code.

Pours dark, with a small beige head, lumpy and slick looking. Opaque, lots of fine carbonation. Smells are limited somewhat by my own congestion, sadly, but I get coffee and chocolate, and a little smoke.

Taste is vanilla, peppery / curry is quite noticeable. Makes me think of brown curry dishes I've had in Japan many times. Not overpowering, just an interesting accent.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, pleasant. Overall, quite tasty. I like it.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Appropriately dark with fluffy, blocky cream head.

S - Curry powder, maybe a hint of lime zest. Smells a little sweet, but the curry powder really overpowers the odours you'd expect to get from a stout.

T - Roasted malt flavours mix with curry powder up front, cayenne powder and a tiny hint of chocolatey sweetness. It's spicy and bitter and you can definitely taste the cumin. The coconut and lime are pretty much not there.

M - Nothing to complain about here. It's actually pretty good.

O - If you really like curry or even just spicy things in general you ought to try this. It's a pretty interesting experience, although ultimately this level of curry and spice is not a flavour profile I'm really looking for in a beer. Having said that, for what it is, it is pretty well executed.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into snifters.
I feel bad even reviewing this beer as I was clearly not the right consumer for this beer.
I love Ballast Point offerings and I like a wide variety of beers. But this beer was too much for me. I was expecting a stout with some mild Indian flavor notes. Instead it was like drinking a spicy curry Indian dinner. All of the flavors as indicated on the label were there. And to me it was crafted successfully by the brewers at Ballast Point. But it was too much for me. The curry produced too much of a burn for my palate. The complexity of the curry, coconut, lime were all there, but at the end of the day, it's not what I want to drink in a beer. Others may like this beer and I don't want to trash the beer either. My palate just wasn't right for this beer.

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this on tap at 3 Wise Monks.
Got a taste of this as it sounded crazy interesting. At first, it was so strange that I was a bit apprehensive and did not think I could drink an entire pint. But once I did I found myself going back for more. Smell is dominated by curry along with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. Taste is so unique, curry again, cocoa, a mild roasted coffee and some heat that does not overwhelm in the finish. The base beer does not drink at all like a foreign stout. It is smooth and slightly malty. So well balanced in flavors. Unfortunately, the coconut and kaffir leaf are almost non-existant. Still an awesome offering by ballast point!

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this because of my previous experience with Ballast. Didn't read the label until I poured it and smelled the curry. Pours like a typical stout, with more of a foamy than creamy head. Leaves a cap and some lacing.

Smell is straight curry. In a good way. My first whiff reminded me of fresh pencil shavings, actually. Definitely some foreign style to this.

The flavors of the curry and earthiness of the cumin come out nicely, with some creamy coconut in the backend, but man is this spicy. I've had a few spicy beers and this one takes the cake. I much prefer my spice on the flavor profile, like what Chipotle gives you, Cayenne is just Cayenne. I'm not getting much lime.

Mouthfeel is on point for high ABV stout, but it's killed by the throat burn.

Overall a good beer, but the Stout just gets crushed by the spiciness.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company