Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

4.19/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/4/4.25/4.5/4.25
I have never had anything quite like this. I was making curry for dinner tonight anyway, so I figured what an opportune time to crack this little bottle open. After experimenting with a couple of different 'unconventional' brews the past couple of days, my expectations were... well attenuated.
The pour provided not much overly exciting. Standard deep brown, with a decent sized creamy off white head. My aggressive pour left a decent head towering, but it settled in to a little film over the top in fairly short order.

Upon first inspection, I thought that my nose was overwhelmed by the stove. I smelled what I thought was the turmeric and curry paste and cumin. So I stepped outside. Still there, with a faint undertone of something creamy and roasty. Huh.

Taking a sip, my confused conclusion was confirmed. A firm foundation of a well craft roasty stout is augmented by the adjuncts listed on the label. The coconut adds a creamy smootheness to it, almost like a milk stout, while the lime gives it some sweet and some bitter, but what really stood out is how well incorporated the curry spices were, and how they seemed to weave seamlessly through the traditional stout characteristics. Finally, there is a very definite burn from the pepper, but not overwhelming. As with well spiced food, it accents the experience, highlighting certain characteristics without overpowering or distracting. Probably the most enjoyable incorporation of pepper heat into a beer that I can remember (there have been others that incorporate the FLAVOUR etc of peppers as well or better, but just looking at the heat aspect, this was probably the best fit I can recall)

Initially I wasn't sure what to expect of this, especially after sniffing it as I poured. This could VERY easily have been some bizarre and unintelligible mess ala some of the voodoo doughnut collabos, but damn Ballast Point nailed it with this one. Taking a completely left field combination and not only making it fit and play nice with itself, but to craft something so purely enjoyable... my hat's off.

One of the few drain pours I've had. One taste and you will be asking yourself what in god's name was the brewmaster thinking?

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

I'm not sure how to rate this beer. It's really unique. Had on draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

Smells like curry.
Tastes like liquid curry sauce with a side of stout. It's well done but I really felt like I was eating a curry dish. Very strange beer drinking experience indeed.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

What is Hindi for "ay caramba"? This is a highly unusual beer. It is Capetown Curry in a glass. Strong spices: cumin dominates but also other sweeter notes. And a peppery kick. Color nearly opaque dark brown. A worthwhile left-fieldish beer I would definitely get again. (You maybe literally COULD make curry with it, but is maybe a little high priced for a cooking ingredient.)

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Black beer with dark brown hues, light mocha head. Smells is dark chocolate, toasted coconut, burnt sugar, brown sugar. Taste is toasty coconut, marshmellow, creamy coconut, cumin, cinamin spice, some juicy orange, and pepper heat towards the end that dries the beer out. Overall a solid beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%