Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 249 | Hads: 1,039
3.94/5  rDev +4%

This is tough to say, but this is the first beer from Ballast Point I had difficulty drinking. It took me about an hour and a half to swig a 22oz Bottle. That being said, I enjoyed this a lot. I would get it again, but only if I were going to share it with others and have about 4-6 oz of it.

A - Pours black like a typical stout, more of a beige head/foam. When I poured it, I went down the side 3/4 and straight down the middle for the last 1/4 and only got about a half an inch head.

S - Not necessarily an assault on your sinus, but definitely complex and alluring. First thing I can make out is the Cumin, then an undertone of curry and coconut.

T - This is the part I had trouble with. It was a bit too spicy for me. I think the mix of spices and flavors was just brilliant, but I'm addicted to hops, so it was a shock at first. Like the smell I tasted Cumin first. Then the curry came in loud and a bit belligerent. Then only a little bit of lime and a undertone of coconut. I think if the coconut was more powerful, this would have been a much better beer.

M - The best: Smooth and a bit of a bite in the aftertaste.

O - Over all, I'd say this was definitely a sipping beer, and is better suited to be paired with food. I had this on it's own as a night cap and it did the job fine, but I wish I had it with food to see if it exploded any more. Great brewery, nice beer, and I MIGHT try it again.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle to a snifter

A - Pours black with a small kahki head that vanishes pretty quick. Not a trace of lacing.

S - Fresh cut cedar/pine wood off the initial pour, strong spices, madras curry, cardamom, cumin, black peppercorns, lavender, purfumy.

T - Spices galore, sharp black pepper, cumin, turmeric, madras curry, basil, coriander, there's some chili heat in there as well. There's a salty sharpness in there that cuts through the spice. With the exception of some roasted malts, the spices basically drive the train taking over any other yeast, malt or hop that could be present. Finishes spicy with a solid dose of chili heat left on the palate.

M - Low carbonation, it's thin but heavy liquid, finishes dry and oily with chile heat.

This screams Indian food. If you don't like it, chances are you probably wont like this beer. It's a full on curry spice assault on the palate. Good chili heat as well. The bottle version seems to be hotter in terms of chile spice than on tap. Curry lovers, you have found your beer.

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a cola brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head. It does fall rather quickly however.

S - The smell is dominated by the curry and coconut. I keep going back and sniffing, but I'm having a hard time identifying any other characteristics.

T/M - WOW, very different. The beginning of this taste experience is the slightly bitter lime, then comes the onslaught of curry and cayenne. The heat is a little intense for me, and the curry is very bold! Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - A very unique taste experience for sure. Personally, this one is a little too much for me, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm judging this based on style and description.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle was poured into a large tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: This totally smells like an Indian or Thai dish. Coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Smells great, but missing those traditional export stout flavors.

Taste: It's hard to hate this beer because I love the spices, but the spices make it easy to dislike it also. The heat of the spices overpowers any of the stout flavors.

Mouthfeel: Spicy hot, smooth, not as drinkable as one one like, lingering heat, medium bodied , and medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is a love and hate relationship. I really don't know what to think. I love the beer by the way it tastes, but hate it by the way the taste I'm used to expecting. Where's the stout? Such a strange interesting beer.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

3.54/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very different beer. There is a lot going on in it. I could taste the curry, cayenne, and lime leaf. its complex and interesting. I found it a nice change of pace and it was fun sorting through all the different flavors. I wouldn't recommend it for every one, but if you are looking for something unusual definitely give it a try.

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%

FIrst of all, whether or not you like curry is going to either make or break this beer. Probably not going to be too many "gray area" people on this. You either like curry and coconut and will probably like this beer or not. I do like curry so this beer went over better with me than with some people. Pours dark, looks nice. Taste is lots of curry, lots of cayanne heat, and some silkiness from the coconut. Not really anything traditionally recognizable as beer flavored. Interesting and unique.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Very very deep brown near black, two fingers of of tan head. Tons of curry on the nose with faint notes of chili lime and coconut.

Starts like your typical stout with sweet roasted barley malts. Vanilla and chocolate and light roast coffee. Bright citrus acidity explodes on the mid palate followed by a nice coconut flavor. The beer finishes with a big curry presence and a nice heat that lingers in the throat and on the lips.

Somehow this beer works well. It does focus more on the specialty ingredients than the beer flavors themselves but there's enough there to remind you it's a beer. The curry on the nose is overwhelming and can take a bit from the flavor if you get to big of a whiff so I suggest drinking out of a pint or something.curry can be a little overwhelming at times. But a pretty complex beer with waves of cool flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Fine looking stout with an extraordinary aroma.
Aroma: lime curry and dark bread; hint of coconut. enticing
Flavor: Wow!  spicy curry with a fine stout, all packaged in a bottle. Weird but fun and easy to drink, although I shared the 22 oz bottle so wonder if this would become less fun after, say a full pint.
Medium body is nicely smooth but a bit thin.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first full review, so give me a break already. :P

Bomber opened on 9/20/2013 and served in a St. Arnold's pint glass.

Appearance is dark and opaque, but not very viscous. Light khaki head, less than a finger, that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is not as strong as I'd heard it might be. Not much giving away the unbridled spicefest within.

Taste is quite complex, running in phases like some kind of magical Willy Wonka candy. The spiciness catches you by surprise, then burns, along with lime, and then... coconut? VERY interesting. Best execution of coconut in a beer that I've had. Not subtle, but not displeasurable, either.

Mouthfeel is a little thin (but then again, I seek out things like Oatmeal Yeti, which you need a fork to drink). Alcohol is there and will bruise you harder than you would think for 7.00% ABV, but is well-hidden by the chile.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, and would get it again just to foster this kind of freakiness among brewers. Not scary or off-putting at all. I think it would go quite well with sushi or Chinese takeaway.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

wonderful to find this one hidden in the cooler. Appearance is opaque with minimal head. Aroma definately has curry and coconut. Decent lacing. Taste on the front is is slightly roasted moving quickly into cumin, curry with a very warming affect. Overall I am very impressed and look forward to drinking more in the winter.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with just some fizzy bubbles rising. Looks like a glass of Pepsi.

Holy shit what a nose on this. Lime, coconut, curry are big big aromas. Some charred malt in there somewhere.

Odd spiced brew. I only truly got all the flavors by reviewing it. The choice of stout works as a vehicle to carry the rest of the flavors. Curry, lime, and essence of coconut. Then, huge cayenne burn, with a good charred malt bitter push. The spices and essence flavors move aside, and the cayenne and stout notes stay. Now it is a peppered stout. Finishes with a burn and an french roast coffee bitterness.

Fuller bodied with carbonation that, if you belch, brings a pepper burn back.

Interesting. One to share (as this is a bomber). Hard to finish, but not because you dislike it, but because it is just alot of spice.

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle.

Pours a dark brown color with a yellowish tan head that fades fairly quickly to a thick collar and a few streaks of lace. Heavy coconut and curry on the nose, and not much else, fairly sweet. Medium thick, high carbonation body, soft on the palate and very spicy on the finish. Flavor starts sweet and malty, milk chocolate and coconut before finishing with a variety of spices I can't identify that continue to build in heat on the back of the throat and front of the tongue long into the finish.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, oily, jet black coloring with brown tints around the edges and no head whatsoever. Looks heavy and dense. Aromas of bittersweet baker's chocolate enveloped in curry spices. Very interesting blending on the nose. Flavors are curry forward, with both spice and heat, followed by a ribbon of chocolate and coffee, both bitter and sweet, and then the beer transitions back into the spice and heat of curry. The aftertaste is bitter and warming, and the warmth lingers throughout the finish and for quite a while after, as well. The finish is slick and smooth. This is a very unique take on an Export stout. I am very intrigued by it, and it would make for some interesting food pairings, because it seems like it can easily overpower.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know!

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

Wow... This beer is the most interesting beer I've ever had by far! These are spices I'm very familiar with. The smell is an aggressive hit of curry, cumin and cayenne for sure. The taste is sweet chocolate with a finish of all the spices in the nose. I absolutely love it. If you want a new experience in beer, and you like Indian food or spicy Asian food, this is a must try. Mixed reviews are totally understandable, but I'll always remember this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. goose island pint glass.

black in color with a mild head. smell is intriguing, its got the chocolate and malts of a stout but its also got this spicy, hot aroma to it too. the taste is very similar, full bodied stout with a big kick of spiciness on the back end. the heat becomes overwhelming as you continue through the glass, which hurts drinkability.

overall good if you like hot stuff, but its quite spicy.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

So Raul is just laying low at tha Joint, The Playground, in Downtown Santa Ana, CA on another bright and sunny Sunday afternoon. And although this isn't your "Sunday drinking" beer, Raul has no complaints about it.

This thang is kind of like that Aubrey Plaza hoochie; I mean, I would, again and again, but Raul couldn't exactly tell you why. There's something exotic and intoxicating about it, but its foreign enough that Raul cannot put a place on it.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nearly opaque body with brownish hues beneath the foamy, tan head which quickly dissappears to leave no trace of its existence.

There are hints of the traditional export stout characteristics such as roasted malt but the beer is really highlighted by the curry, cayenne pepper, and especially the lime leaf on the nose.

The flavor starts off quite roasted with a touch of bread and a touch of char. As it warms, the "India Style" kicks into high gear with copious amounts of curry, a nice kick of cayenne spice which is then followed by the lime leaf to smooth.

This brew is medium in body and carbonation but the mouthfeel is really highlighted by the spicy kick left to coat your palate.

I found this beer to be really enjoyable if the consumer can sit back and appreciate what the brewer was looking to accomplish. If you're benchmark for this style is Guinness Foreign Export, this may not be the beer for you. But the collaboration on this beer really did a nice job incorporating the "India Style" ingredients to a traditional brew.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours jet black with a brown-ish head. In the aroma, curry, cayenne pepper, and small lime citrus. In the taste, lime, small curry, and notes of cayenne pepper spice. A small spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lime cayenne pepper, and curry notes in the aftertaste. Big lime, mellow curry and big spice in the end. Different, but enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well it's interesting to say at least. A stout by color and maybe malts, but I would say the body was a bit more like a dark ale. The spices of cinnamon and curry dominate the flavor profile. There is a root beer/licorice quality that develops as the beer warms. Carbonation is low. I think that it is worth a try as it is truly a unique brew.

4.36/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very hard beer to review. To my knowledge, no one has ever brewed a beer with curry. It sounds like a risky idea at best.

We'll start with the obvious. This beer tastes like curry, and it's not subtle. You can smell it right away, but the taste dominates the palate. I like curry, so this isn't a bad thing. It would be easy to say that the curry flavor dominates the flavor profile, but the term "curry" has more than one definition. "Curry" is both a specific spice as well as a combination of flavors. If you order a curry dish at a restaurant, it will contain curry leaf as well as things like cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime.

From wikipedia: Curry is the generic English term primarily employed in Western culture to denote a wide variety of dishes whose origins are in Indian cuisine and Southeast Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian or Fijian. Their common feature is the incorporation of more or less complex combinations of spices and/or herbs, usually (but not invariably) including fresh or dried hot chillies.

This beer tastes like an authentic Indian meal. The flavor combination of this particular beer is very well balanced if you understand what curry really means. It's a tough thing to explain, but I hope I've done a decent job.

The beer is very dry, like a good stout should be. The hops are more subtle than I thought they would be, and that works just fine to let the unique flavors shine.

Easily one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. This is a drink that appeals to both the beer lover and foodie in me. I'm not always into beers with crazy flavors, but Indra Kunindra is mind-boggling and one of a kind. It's not often that a beer will blow my mind anymore; i've tried many. The best thing about this beer is the risk taken in releasing it. For $10 a bottle, a beer had better be something special. This could have been a giant train-wreck, but instead it raises the bar of what's possible in brewing.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company