Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Reviews: 257 | Hads: 1,072
3.56/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bottle stating limited release with a number of 13,339 on it

A - Pitch black, with gold sediment specs floating on top and throughout the beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Dark grain and loads of Indian spices. Hot!

T - A dry stout up front, but the huge amount of spicy Indian notes come in a second later and really pop in the aftertaste. Spicy and hot! Definitely warms you up. The curry dominates

M - Oily and slick, medium bodied, and lots of carbonation.

O - An interesting brew, and original for sure. But not really my cup of tea. Too spicy for me, but then again I am not crazy on Indian food...so to be expected.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%

Drinking from a glass poured from the 22 oz. bottle. I think the bottle is maybe a month+ old, which may explain some different experiences I'm having here.

A - Super dark, almost black, little to no head with modest carbonation. Can see small flecks of the spices resting on the top of the beer while light wisps of oily streaks lazily rock across the top of the glass.

S - Before my first taste, lots of lime, spice, and lemon. Later, now that my mouth is tingling from the spices, I am really hit in the face with a delicious chocolaty aroma with a kiss of cumin.

T - I'm not sure how to approach this. My first few tastes were very citrusy at first, followed by that chocolate and vanilla profile. Then, bam, the Indian spices have their way with your tongue, well into the aftertaste. Once my mouth became acclimated to the spice and eased into the pleasant burn, later tastes are much heavier on the Indian-spiced chocolate vibe.

M - Sits even and mellow. Again, the spices start having the way with how this beer sits on your tongue, likely subject to your personal tolerance / preference for Indian spices.

O - Presuming you're interested in the Indian spices, this beer is a must-try, and I suspect it'll be greatly enjoyed. For people more cautious on their attitude toward Indian spices BUT willing to try something different, I suspect they'll also enjoy a pour of this. While the spices dictate a great deal of the entire experience, they are not used stupidly or unabashedly... this is a very balanced experience that happens to hang out with Indian spices. Perhaps the must fun aspect of this beer is just how drastically the drinking experience changes while you come to terms with the spices... fun!

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Love the aroma of this one. It helps that I love Indian food, I suppose. Curry and cocunut in the nose, both prominent in the taste, with the right amount of lingering heat from the cayenne.

Wish this was available in six packs, I would buy it often.

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don't see myself returning to this one, as I don't find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

- Ipa styled export stout brewed with Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, & kaffin lime.

A: Dark bakers chocolate pour produces a 2 finger mocha foam monster of a head. Good show of visible carbonation rushes up along the glass walls. Lace coating is modest 50% coverage rate, spotty.

S: The lime and coconut are first to get noticed with mention of cayenne and cumin. Fresh coconut, leafy greens, with the curry coming on the trail. Some celery stalk and a faint peppery mention. A nice mixture of asian spices, the chocolate and roasted nature a bit more reserved. Spicy, unique.

T: The asian spices come through strongly on the flavor aspect, no subtle hints here, distinct warming of cayenne and curry add that distinct spiciness and flair. Roasted coconut, cumin, fresh greenery, some coffee with a gentle warming of asian spice finish that provides just that right amount of balance, complexity and gentle warmth to the palate for a wintery night sampling.

M: Mouthful had a spicy cayenne sensation on the inner cheeks, as well the tongue. Body is medium full, some gentle dance of carbonation.

O: Overall I gave consideration for its uniquiness and what they were intending to do rather then shoe horn and punish this by style for a more focused attention on the spices then the roasted and coffee nature. An uniquely spiced export stout that highlights the asian induced spices with a very good balance and represenatation. A definite consideration for a one time sampling to try something outside the box.

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours like a stout, so I expect it to taste like one (or so I think). Pretty black and not too much head.

S: I can pick up some of that curry spice right away. I can also smell some of the booze and maybe some ginger or pepper.

T: WOW. This is crazy. Not what I was expecting at all. Curry, chili, fizz, pepper, smoke, wood, hops. It's not even that stout-like in my opinion. It's got faint notes of chocolate and sweets, but overall it's dry and spicy all the way. As it warms it gets better and becomes more subtle. Still the same notes in the taste but more blended and less harsh.

M: I think I'll go with medium and some good carb. Not the best, but not bad.

O: I didn't know what to think at first. This beer surly is interesting... I like it. I don't think it's an A beer, but I think it's good. One thing that disappointed me was the misleading style name. I expected more desert and less curry (although I'm a big fan of curry). It was still a good buy though.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, with a thin tan head that fades quickly and no visible carbonation.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on here. Complex and unique. My first thought is Indian food - curry and lime - with some spicy peppers and black pepper, tobacco and musty leather notes like an old book, and just a bit of cacao. This smells a bit like you stuck your head into a spice cabinet. Fascinating, and I can't stop smelling it.

T: Starts with big curry and dark roasted malts - but the curry and spices dominate. Then there's a definite citrus lime flavor in the middle. Near the swallow, there's a cayenne pepper kick that lasts after the swallow and remains noticeable in the esophagus and on the lips. Interesting and tasty, but I'm not sure I could drink an entire bottle.

M: Full-bodied, low carbonation sensation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well, this was exactly what it said was going to be. It was a different and challenging beer for me. Very interesting, and I think I would recommend it for someone looking to try something very different or as a change of pace. Certainly not an everyday drinker.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

This is tough to say, but this is the first beer from Ballast Point I had difficulty drinking. It took me about an hour and a half to swig a 22oz Bottle. That being said, I enjoyed this a lot. I would get it again, but only if I were going to share it with others and have about 4-6 oz of it.

A - Pours black like a typical stout, more of a beige head/foam. When I poured it, I went down the side 3/4 and straight down the middle for the last 1/4 and only got about a half an inch head.

S - Not necessarily an assault on your sinus, but definitely complex and alluring. First thing I can make out is the Cumin, then an undertone of curry and coconut.

T - This is the part I had trouble with. It was a bit too spicy for me. I think the mix of spices and flavors was just brilliant, but I'm addicted to hops, so it was a shock at first. Like the smell I tasted Cumin first. Then the curry came in loud and a bit belligerent. Then only a little bit of lime and a undertone of coconut. I think if the coconut was more powerful, this would have been a much better beer.

M - The best: Smooth and a bit of a bite in the aftertaste.

O - Over all, I'd say this was definitely a sipping beer, and is better suited to be paired with food. I had this on it's own as a night cap and it did the job fine, but I wish I had it with food to see if it exploded any more. Great brewery, nice beer, and I MIGHT try it again.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle to a snifter

A - Pours black with a small kahki head that vanishes pretty quick. Not a trace of lacing.

S - Fresh cut cedar/pine wood off the initial pour, strong spices, madras curry, cardamom, cumin, black peppercorns, lavender, purfumy.

T - Spices galore, sharp black pepper, cumin, turmeric, madras curry, basil, coriander, there's some chili heat in there as well. There's a salty sharpness in there that cuts through the spice. With the exception of some roasted malts, the spices basically drive the train taking over any other yeast, malt or hop that could be present. Finishes spicy with a solid dose of chili heat left on the palate.

M - Low carbonation, it's thin but heavy liquid, finishes dry and oily with chile heat.

This screams Indian food. If you don't like it, chances are you probably wont like this beer. It's a full on curry spice assault on the palate. Good chili heat as well. The bottle version seems to be hotter in terms of chile spice than on tap. Curry lovers, you have found your beer.

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a cola brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head. It does fall rather quickly however.

S - The smell is dominated by the curry and coconut. I keep going back and sniffing, but I'm having a hard time identifying any other characteristics.

T/M - WOW, very different. The beginning of this taste experience is the slightly bitter lime, then comes the onslaught of curry and cayenne. The heat is a little intense for me, and the curry is very bold! Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - A very unique taste experience for sure. Personally, this one is a little too much for me, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm judging this based on style and description.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle was poured into a large tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: This totally smells like an Indian or Thai dish. Coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Smells great, but missing those traditional export stout flavors.

Taste: It's hard to hate this beer because I love the spices, but the spices make it easy to dislike it also. The heat of the spices overpowers any of the stout flavors.

Mouthfeel: Spicy hot, smooth, not as drinkable as one one like, lingering heat, medium bodied , and medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is a love and hate relationship. I really don't know what to think. I love the beer by the way it tastes, but hate it by the way the taste I'm used to expecting. Where's the stout? Such a strange interesting beer.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

3.54/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very different beer. There is a lot going on in it. I could taste the curry, cayenne, and lime leaf. its complex and interesting. I found it a nice change of pace and it was fun sorting through all the different flavors. I wouldn't recommend it for every one, but if you are looking for something unusual definitely give it a try.

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%

FIrst of all, whether or not you like curry is going to either make or break this beer. Probably not going to be too many "gray area" people on this. You either like curry and coconut and will probably like this beer or not. I do like curry so this beer went over better with me than with some people. Pours dark, looks nice. Taste is lots of curry, lots of cayanne heat, and some silkiness from the coconut. Not really anything traditionally recognizable as beer flavored. Interesting and unique.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Very very deep brown near black, two fingers of of tan head. Tons of curry on the nose with faint notes of chili lime and coconut.

Starts like your typical stout with sweet roasted barley malts. Vanilla and chocolate and light roast coffee. Bright citrus acidity explodes on the mid palate followed by a nice coconut flavor. The beer finishes with a big curry presence and a nice heat that lingers in the throat and on the lips.

Somehow this beer works well. It does focus more on the specialty ingredients than the beer flavors themselves but there's enough there to remind you it's a beer. The curry on the nose is overwhelming and can take a bit from the flavor if you get to big of a whiff so I suggest drinking out of a pint or something.curry can be a little overwhelming at times. But a pretty complex beer with waves of cool flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Fine looking stout with an extraordinary aroma.
Aroma: lime curry and dark bread; hint of coconut. enticing
Flavor: Wow!  spicy curry with a fine stout, all packaged in a bottle. Weird but fun and easy to drink, although I shared the 22 oz bottle so wonder if this would become less fun after, say a full pint.
Medium body is nicely smooth but a bit thin.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first full review, so give me a break already. :P

Bomber opened on 9/20/2013 and served in a St. Arnold's pint glass.

Appearance is dark and opaque, but not very viscous. Light khaki head, less than a finger, that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is not as strong as I'd heard it might be. Not much giving away the unbridled spicefest within.

Taste is quite complex, running in phases like some kind of magical Willy Wonka candy. The spiciness catches you by surprise, then burns, along with lime, and then... coconut? VERY interesting. Best execution of coconut in a beer that I've had. Not subtle, but not displeasurable, either.

Mouthfeel is a little thin (but then again, I seek out things like Oatmeal Yeti, which you need a fork to drink). Alcohol is there and will bruise you harder than you would think for 7.00% ABV, but is well-hidden by the chile.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, and would get it again just to foster this kind of freakiness among brewers. Not scary or off-putting at all. I think it would go quite well with sushi or Chinese takeaway.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

wonderful to find this one hidden in the cooler. Appearance is opaque with minimal head. Aroma definately has curry and coconut. Decent lacing. Taste on the front is is slightly roasted moving quickly into cumin, curry with a very warming affect. Overall I am very impressed and look forward to drinking more in the winter.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with just some fizzy bubbles rising. Looks like a glass of Pepsi.

Holy shit what a nose on this. Lime, coconut, curry are big big aromas. Some charred malt in there somewhere.

Odd spiced brew. I only truly got all the flavors by reviewing it. The choice of stout works as a vehicle to carry the rest of the flavors. Curry, lime, and essence of coconut. Then, huge cayenne burn, with a good charred malt bitter push. The spices and essence flavors move aside, and the cayenne and stout notes stay. Now it is a peppered stout. Finishes with a burn and an french roast coffee bitterness.

Fuller bodied with carbonation that, if you belch, brings a pepper burn back.

Interesting. One to share (as this is a bomber). Hard to finish, but not because you dislike it, but because it is just alot of spice.

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle.

Pours a dark brown color with a yellowish tan head that fades fairly quickly to a thick collar and a few streaks of lace. Heavy coconut and curry on the nose, and not much else, fairly sweet. Medium thick, high carbonation body, soft on the palate and very spicy on the finish. Flavor starts sweet and malty, milk chocolate and coconut before finishing with a variety of spices I can't identify that continue to build in heat on the back of the throat and front of the tongue long into the finish.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, oily, jet black coloring with brown tints around the edges and no head whatsoever. Looks heavy and dense. Aromas of bittersweet baker's chocolate enveloped in curry spices. Very interesting blending on the nose. Flavors are curry forward, with both spice and heat, followed by a ribbon of chocolate and coffee, both bitter and sweet, and then the beer transitions back into the spice and heat of curry. The aftertaste is bitter and warming, and the warmth lingers throughout the finish and for quite a while after, as well. The finish is slick and smooth. This is a very unique take on an Export stout. I am very intrigued by it, and it would make for some interesting food pairings, because it seems like it can easily overpower.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know!

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company