Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 257 | Hads: 1,077
3.62/5  rDev -4.5%

Opaque black with a khaki colored head. Thai flavors abound. Lime leaf, coconut and curry. Kaffir lime leaf featured prominently. Thom Kha Gha. A little burn on the back of your mouth, near the throat. Citrusy and tangy. Spicy, but not deep or dirty. Perfumy, especially in the end. Surprisingly crisp. No bitterness.

Overall: I feared this brew for a month or two, letting it sit in the fridge, daring me to try it. I’m glad I finally did! It has bright Kaffir lime leaf flavors and a smooth and floral finish. It is very flavorful and definitely unique. The burn in the back of your throat is welcome. Despite being quite crisp for a beer this dark, it is also rich; I could have only one of these.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance – Pours a super dark black color with notes of red on the edges and noticeable carbonation. Has a nice head, very good lacing, and some sediment.

Smell – Coconut curry. If there’s other scents there, they are dominated by the curry. Nice, although not very "beer" like.

Taste – Curry, malt, a peppery spice, and a hint of lime. Taste a lot like a curry dish.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation, medium body, a fair amount of a hot spice that lingers in the aftertaste.

Drinkability – This might have a touch too much spice to be highly drinkable. I’m not sure whether curry belongs in beer, but I think this is about as good as it can be done.

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Pours a dark brown with a big fizzy medium brown head. Fades somewhat quickly, leaving just a smattering of lacing behind. Zero head retention, can't even revive it with a swirl. Looks to be almost completely flat.

S: What a unique aroma. Toasted coconut is quite apparent. Lots of spices that I can't really place. A little bit of heat burns the noise (chile pepper?).

T: Heavy coconut up front. Some roasted malt with a touch of char and chocolate. Very spicy in the middle. Chile pepper heat, nice wave of it right after the middle and into the finish. More spices and more coconut mixes in with the burning. Long lingering simmering heat that adds up. Having said that, it's nothing over the top, just lasts forever. Swear I get a hint of lime in that lingering aftertaste as well.

M: Medium bodied but feels heavier due to very low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: Definitely one of the most unique flavor combinations in a beer that I've ever had. Usually experiments like this fail miserably but this one turned out while well. Roasted malt tends to go well with chile pepper heat and the coconut brings a nice toasty aspect. Lots of spices everywhere that are hard to describe but contribute to the spicy/hot aspects of this beer. Nice balance of flavors to boot.

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%

A-black with a decent dark tan head that thins quickly

S-roasted coffee and definitely some indian smelling spices, the kinds i expect to smell in an Indian restaurant. seriously smells a bit like curry. i've never smelled a beer like this. its odd.

T-wow this is odd! this comes in with an extremely evident flavor of coconut curry. wow i can't believe this. the cocoa is minimal. then comes in a fairly heavy heat of indian peppers. its awesome. this is awesome. wow. the spice really has a kick that stays.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-this is just an awesome beer. i've never, ever had anything like this. i was expecting some sort of weird dogfish headesque concoction that is weird and okay, but doesn't quite flow right. but this flows right, very right. its so yummy! its something i can drink all night, i'll actually be craving this when its gone, i know so. the spice hits so well.

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%

This sure looks like an interesting and unique beer. Let's see how it actually does.

The long neck shotgun pours the darker mocha colored fizzy bubbly almost 1 finger head that fades very quickly, and in an instant there is barely a head covering, with very little lacing, over pitch black thicker looking viscous like dark beer.

Nose explodes with curry and cumin, I almost thing I'm in India for a second, it's hard to get anything else behind all that, but somehow I find some dark malts, a light vanilla and caramel, and a bit of a milk chocolate, touch of toasted coconut, etc. Lots of spices and very Indian.

Taste actually starts with coconut, wow coconut, with a bit buttery and toasted coconut right out, with a nice vanilla like demeanor. Just as quick comes the cayenne, big spicy heat and lots of cayenne pepper. Finally comes the Indian spices, curry and cumin are fairly strong as the initial coconut fades, although the heat stays for a while. The malts bring a bit of mocha, little powdered cocoa and some caramel but barely. It's hard to get anything else other than the spices. Finish has a long cayenne pepper heat that lasts for a while. The heat seems to increase a bit after each sip and hits a nice hot plateau, and for a hot pepper fan it's quite nice. The finish is also sticky and syrupy, some lingering cumin and curry, and a bit of the toasted buttery coconut and little vanilla.

Mouth is med to a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, little creamy, and lots of pepper heat.

Overall quite a unique beer. The spices really come out and dominate everything else, and teh beer itself is kinda lost in it all. It's somewhat tasty as I'm starting to really enjoy well done curry, but all in all it's hard to get the beer aspect of it. The pepper heat is nice for me, as well as coconut, but still hard to really enjoy it as a beer.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can say is WOW. This beer is quite an experience. I am a huge fan of stouts and Ballast Point, so I figured this was a no brainer. The smell is what does it. This is one of the spiciest beers I have ever experienced. Lots of curry (and I mean LOTS) and the coconut and cumin really shine through as well. Poured this one cold out of the bottle and let it warm up a little in a tulip. The pour didn't yield too much in the way of head and the head was all gone by the time i was half way through. The taste was bold (of course) due to all the spices, but I was a little let down with regards to the body and mouth feel of this beer. I really let it warm up for the 2nd pour and I was rewarded for my patience. I would definitely recommend letting a cold one sit out for a good 10-15 minutes before drinking. Maybe more depending on your taste.
Overall I liked the beer and I'm definitely glad I picked it up, but I don't know if I need to have this one again. If you like curry, this beer is a must try. If you don't like curry, stay far away.

2.54/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I fail to see the humor in this one. It looks fine, though, with the usual touch of foam on the dark brown brew poured in a Duvel glass.

The odor hits you before you get the glass to your lips. And that's the best feature of this stuff. Coconut and curry. The taste is just an intensified curry with blow torch of heat to take care of any taste buds remaining functional. The initial foam subsides quickly to an oily sheen in the glass, with zero lacing. The slight prickly carbonation on the tongue morphs into a bitter burn. On top of everything, the hoppy bitterness adds to the pain. Acidic finish.

I realize there plenty of coffee and raspberry flavored beers in the Stout categories, but why isn't this a Herbed/Spiced beer? You could only rate the spice flavors, which are totally heavy-handed, not the fleeting beeriness. From the 22 oz bottle.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured into a nonic pint glass to a deep black with a finger of rocky tan head that fades to a small collar around the glass
S: smells of cumin, cayenne pepper and curry
T: coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, a bit of roast malt displaying some coffee and chocolate. swallow brings more coconut, coffee, lime leaf? and a bit of heat
M: somewhat heavy with slightly prickly carbonation
O: one of the more interesting beers I've drank. Definitely not sure what to expect and I'm not sure if I like the outcome. I wouldn't call it a drain pour candidate but I don't think I'll be buying another one. Spices seem to dominate the malt bill and I'm not sure if I'm feeling carbonation or my tongue starting to burn. Not bad at all though. If you're looking for an interesting beer that's kinda DFH like in oddity then this one is right up your alley. the coconut is nice but a bit of subtlety from the spice would have been lovely instead of it being so in your face.

3.26/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: pours a black color with a 2" head that slowly falls.

Smell: roasted malts and a strong curry aroma rises from the glass.

Taste: roasted malts, cumin, cayenne, and a load of curry flavor. The spices are a bit overpowering here as a late bite really hits the throat hard. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Light crispness at the start, smooth and dry with a strong spicy kick at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: this beer was a bit too spicy and the curry and cayenne is too up front here. A small glass is all you can have in a single session.

Very interesting idea...best by 02JAN13

Pours black with a edge and some etch of mocha foam. Smells like curry mix in the spice jar still - profoundly strong. Oddly, the lime comes through and actually as it warms I think the cumin is what may put this over the edge for appreciation. I love curry, and I love cumin, but a little too much here. Flavor is like biting into a cumin, kaffir, massamun curry ball with a bit of cocoa and coffee. I can't stress this enough: THE BEER NEEDS TO WARM UP SUBSTANTIALLY. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a relatively dry finish.

1.39/5  rDev -63.3%

As a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts I had to give this a try.
VERY strong on the curry...I am not a fan of curry.
This tasted like Gandi took a dump in an Old Rasputin.
Unless you really like Indian food and the spices used in it then stay away from this poison.

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub a couple weeks ago. This review is from notes.

Pours ink black with a very persistent tan head. Glass gets completely coated in tan foam. The smell is instantly curry balanced out by some oily coconut and roastyness. Again, classic Indian curry takes the lead in the taste, with anise, cumin and cinnamon notes. Coconut provides a nice moderating sweetness. Roasty, chocolatey stout flavors mix with a citric hoppiness in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and low in carbonation. Curry and bitterness from hops and black malt make up the finish.

This is an interesting stout. Its a little too curry dominant for my tastes. Still worth a try, made me want Lamb Vindaloo.

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%

Dark brown pour sits opaque black. Dense, clay colored head. Despite it's auspicious beginning, all foam is gone by the time I finish my beer.

Smells like curry and coconut shreds over a pretty good export stout.

Cocoa and chile with an odd citrus something in back at first (the kaffir lime leaves?). As the beer warms the cocoa simmers down and the vanilla-y coconut stands out more. Hot cayenne fade. Smooth mouthfeel like a baltic porter.

Good grocery list beer. Usually the adjuncts are overpowering and messy or too subtle to be worthwhile but this was a good mix.

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a dfh snifter

A: pours black with a bit of brown towards the head when held to the light... Little to no head after a regular pour, the head appears to be tannish, little to no lacing....

S: an interesting aroma, I get a ton of curry spice blended with cayenne along with a bit of lime, smells like a sweaty Indian guy, fresh out of the kitchen after cooking up some deliciousness in the tandor oven. I picked up on a strong whiff of coconut goodness when I opened the bottle however this seems to be lost now that its in my glass. I really don't get a lot of the typical stout aromas either... Mainly just the spice.

T: taste follows closely with the aroma, almost to a T, up front I get a light touch of chocolate then going into the curry spice and lime leaf, with the cayenne coming in strong on the finish, bringing a bit of heat to this, this is like liquid Indian food, very interesting. I do not mind the flavor, but a whole bomber may be a bit of a chore for one person.

M: medium heavy body with low/moderate carbonation... Not a bad mouthfeel. Dry w/ some cayenne heat on the finish.

O: this is a strange and interesting brew, a bit heavy on the lime for my tastes, and deffinatly heavy on the spice, like unsaid before, reminds me of a sweaty Indian guy. Glad I tried it, but I don't see myself hurrying to pick up another.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Super dark. Can't see any light through it with a dark tan head. Big bubble disappear pretty quickly leaving little lacing on the glass.

S - Peanuts, curry, and a hint of malts.

T - Coconut curry, roasted malts, a little spice. Not as much curry flavor as I hoped for.

M - Light bodied stout that leaves a lot of curry on the palette.

O - I've had this beer on tap and it was MUCH better. It's a little too smooth out of the bottle for my taste.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Clear black colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smell is sweet with a strong chocolate and coconut aroma with a little mint to it. Little bit of caramel only existence of hop is the mint scent.

Starts off sweet with a lot of chocolate and strong taste of cinnamon.and cardamom? What the hell is in this? Reading the label "Madras Curry and lime leaf" well that is different! I can taste the lime and the curry but that coconut really stands out. This has a little burn to it.

Mouthfeel is thick.

This a tasty and unique beer and well worth the effort to taste.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a dark brown-black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head atop. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts with curry powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, kaffir lime, coconut, and a touch of cinnamon.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts with some curry powder, coconut, and kaffir lime. Through the middle, the cayenne and cumin come through with some cinnamon and other spices. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate malts, cayenne, cumin, curry powder, and kaffir lime.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very interesting blend of curry spices in the export stout. Good overall balance with great complexity.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Shared by BRoss242 during his own send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, curry, Indian food, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, curry, and meat. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I really didn’t know what to expect on this one when I first saw. Once I took my first smell of it I REALLY didn’t know what to expect. Was this dry hopped with Indian food was one of my first thoughts… I happen to like Indian food, but why does my beer smell like it? The same went on in the flavor as well as it tasted like curried meat which was quite surprising. I could see this going well with a nice dish of Indian food, but on its own, I’m not too sure about. Glad I got to experience something this strange, but doubt I will do so again.

Poured into a tulip, appearance is very dark brown, almost black, with a foamy tan head that dissipates to a ring.

Nose is sweet and smells of dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, coconut, citrus fruit, and a little raisin.

Tastes of charred malt with touch of vanilla and coconut, followed by a citrus acidity, and a mild pepper heat that lasts into the extended finish.

Mildly carbonated and a lightish viscosity for a stout, which probably makes sense with the ingredients, particularly lime.

The pepper heat builds up on this with each sip which makes it a bit of a stretch to drink a whole bomber of. Nevertheless, it is an interesting brew that works with a food pairing. I thought it was good with a southwestern style chile. Would work even better with Indian curries. I'll try that option with one of my remaining bottles.

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

There aren’t many things I regret in this life, but tasting this beer is one of them. Too overpowering and the aftertaste stays with you FOR-EV-ER!!! Tried chasing it down with some high quality H2O, but no luck. F- grade beer. Let's never speak of this beer again.

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

On-tap at Ballast Point's Old Grove location. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black with a finger of brown head, leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Aroma is incredible. Lots of very vibrant spices, picking up on cumin, cayenne pepper, also sweet curry and coconut. Excellent blend of spice, coconut/curry sweetness and chocolate.

T- Flavor follows pretty closely, but doesn't maintain the same level of curry and coconut awesomeness, although the cumin, cayenne and curry do come through pretty well. Has some nice chocolate flavor and lingering heat, not overly spicy though.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth feel, mild spicy burn but nothing severe.

O- An absolutely awesome chili/curry stout, I've had chili beers before, but nothing that a) also incorporated curry and coconut and b) did it very well. It was also very drinkable, I polished off an 8 oz pour with no problem at all. This beer is a real treat to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

1284th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint

Thanks to GuruDel for this one.

App- A dark brown pour bordering on black with some garnet edges. A 2 finger semi brown head fell quickly and left no cling or lace behind.

Smell- Pure milk chocolate on the nose. No malty backbone just liquid diabetes. The coconut and the cumin come next. That was about it. Those flavors dominate the aromatics.

Taste- Chocolate, vanilla and coconut open this up and then oh wait hello mr. spice. My lips are now tingling from the curry and the cumin. Very well layered and balanced without the spices dominating. Alot going on in the last 1/2 of the bottle but works really well.

Mouth- A creamy medium body with a low/medium carbonation. Makes my lips tingles from the spices and the chocolate/coconut flavors remain.

Drink- Unique, layered, semi balanced. The coconut spice was a good combo for me. Very flavorful.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with mahogany highlights at the edges. Half finger light brown head dissipated slowly to a ring around the glass with light lacing. Interesting aroma of sweet dark malt, coconut and pepper with hints of curry and cocoa. Flavor is also unusual; coconut is instantly obvious on the start, with sweet and roasted malt, chocolate, immediately covered with peppery spices. Finishes peppery and spicy with the heat clearly from hot pepper and not from hops. The spices definitely dominate most of the taste of this stout, but the body, while not intense, supports the spicy flavors. Medium bodied with a bit of creaminess. I like this quite a bit and enjoyed the whole bomber in one evening. Not for the hot pepper and/or coconut adverse. I would pick this up again if it was available. (Please come to Washington, Ballast Point!).

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company