Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

11-18-2013 03:34:14 | More by TYLY22
macrosmatic

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, with a thin tan head that fades quickly and no visible carbonation.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on here. Complex and unique. My first thought is Indian food - curry and lime - with some spicy peppers and black pepper, tobacco and musty leather notes like an old book, and just a bit of cacao. This smells a bit like you stuck your head into a spice cabinet. Fascinating, and I can't stop smelling it.

T: Starts with big curry and dark roasted malts - but the curry and spices dominate. Then there's a definite citrus lime flavor in the middle. Near the swallow, there's a cayenne pepper kick that lasts after the swallow and remains noticeable in the esophagus and on the lips. Interesting and tasty, but I'm not sure I could drink an entire bottle.

M: Full-bodied, low carbonation sensation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well, this was exactly what it said was going to be. It was a different and challenging beer for me. Very interesting, and I think I would recommend it for someone looking to try something very different or as a change of pace. Certainly not an everyday drinker.

11-17-2013 20:42:51 | More by macrosmatic
SDBP123

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

This is tough to say, but this is the first beer from Ballast Point I had difficulty drinking. It took me about an hour and a half to swig a 22oz Bottle. That being said, I enjoyed this a lot. I would get it again, but only if I were going to share it with others and have about 4-6 oz of it.

A - Pours black like a typical stout, more of a beige head/foam. When I poured it, I went down the side 3/4 and straight down the middle for the last 1/4 and only got about a half an inch head.

S - Not necessarily an assault on your sinus, but definitely complex and alluring. First thing I can make out is the Cumin, then an undertone of curry and coconut.

T - This is the part I had trouble with. It was a bit too spicy for me. I think the mix of spices and flavors was just brilliant, but I'm addicted to hops, so it was a shock at first. Like the smell I tasted Cumin first. Then the curry came in loud and a bit belligerent. Then only a little bit of lime and a undertone of coconut. I think if the coconut was more powerful, this would have been a much better beer.

M - The best: Smooth and a bit of a bite in the aftertaste.

O - Over all, I'd say this was definitely a sipping beer, and is better suited to be paired with food. I had this on it's own as a night cap and it did the job fine, but I wish I had it with food to see if it exploded any more. Great brewery, nice beer, and I MIGHT try it again.

11-16-2013 00:11:26 | More by SDBP123

StaveHooks

Oklahoma

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz bottle to a snifter

A - Pours black with a small kahki head that vanishes pretty quick. Not a trace of lacing.

S - Fresh cut cedar/pine wood off the initial pour, strong spices, madras curry, cardamom, cumin, black peppercorns, lavender, purfumy.

T - Spices galore, sharp black pepper, cumin, turmeric, madras curry, basil, coriander, there's some chili heat in there as well. There's a salty sharpness in there that cuts through the spice. With the exception of some roasted malts, the spices basically drive the train taking over any other yeast, malt or hop that could be present. Finishes spicy with a solid dose of chili heat left on the palate.

M - Low carbonation, it's thin but heavy liquid, finishes dry and oily with chile heat.

This screams Indian food. If you don't like it, chances are you probably wont like this beer. It's a full on curry spice assault on the palate. Good chili heat as well. The bottle version seems to be hotter in terms of chile spice than on tap. Curry lovers, you have found your beer.

11-09-2013 04:30:18 | More by StaveHooks
Rizalini

Nevada

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a cola brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head. It does fall rather quickly however.

S - The smell is dominated by the curry and coconut. I keep going back and sniffing, but I'm having a hard time identifying any other characteristics.

T/M - WOW, very different. The beginning of this taste experience is the slightly bitter lime, then comes the onslaught of curry and cayenne. The heat is a little intense for me, and the curry is very bold! Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - A very unique taste experience for sure. Personally, this one is a little too much for me, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm judging this based on style and description.

11-08-2013 03:17:57 | More by Rizalini

11-07-2013 22:45:03 | More by AmericanSpeller
Flounder57

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle was poured into a large tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: This totally smells like an Indian or Thai dish. Coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Smells great, but missing those traditional export stout flavors.

Taste: It's hard to hate this beer because I love the spices, but the spices make it easy to dislike it also. The heat of the spices overpowers any of the stout flavors.

Mouthfeel: Spicy hot, smooth, not as drinkable as one one like, lingering heat, medium bodied , and medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is a love and hate relationship. I really don't know what to think. I love the beer by the way it tastes, but hate it by the way the taste I'm used to expecting. Where's the stout? Such a strange interesting beer.

11-06-2013 06:00:49 | More by Flounder57

11-04-2013 06:29:31 | More by hickmancase
ThickNStout

Georgia

3.31/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

11-03-2013 06:28:30 | More by ThickNStout
sisterthelonious

Wisconsin

11-02-2013 21:57:54 | More by sisterthelonious
zonker17

11-01-2013 02:36:35 | More by zonker17
Abe_Froman

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very different beer. There is a lot going on in it. I could taste the curry, cayenne, and lime leaf. its complex and interesting. I found it a nice change of pace and it was fun sorting through all the different flavors. I wouldn't recommend it for every one, but if you are looking for something unusual definitely give it a try.

10-27-2013 06:33:23 | More by Abe_Froman