Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)

Lanstrum, Feb 11, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off by stating that this Ballast Point does exactly what they intended to do with this beer, whether or not that is a good thing is certainly up to some debate. I purchased the bottle on a whim and didn't drink for probably a good month. I poured the bottle into a tulip glass and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it warm up slightly and hopefully open up all of the flavors that made it into the bottle. The smell tells me what I'm about to taste, but not in a way that was very appetizing. It smelled alot like walking into a Indian restaurant lots of curry and spices, a little bit of sweetness, not really how i want my beer to smell. Taste was better the curry, cumin, coconut, and the lime all came through. The best part of the flavors were the balance they complemented each other just like a great food dish. The saving grace was the cayenne though, the heat was just strong enough to take the beer to another level and given some depth. After awhile though as well constructed as it was the novelty wore off and i found myself not wanting to finish it. Overall excellent execution and worth a try but at the end of the day a beer that tastes very much like an Indian dish isn't one I'm going to keep coming back to.

jkeefe1800, Feb 10, 2014

thatoneguymike, Feb 10, 2014

Keith_R, Feb 09, 2014

Zach136, Feb 09, 2014

chossboss, Feb 07, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours near black, just liquid, no head, little evidence of carbonation.
Smells pleasant enough. Basil immediately, and an exotic spice aroma in a sense that if licorice was exotic. But mostly a minty basil. In fact the smell is exactly like my favorite flavor of gelato: coconut basil.
Wow. Tasting this. Interesting as the flavor resembles the nice aroma, but what a bite! Spicy swallowing this ale. Truly a spicy beer, and the first time I've tasted a brew anything like this. I'm not sure I like this too much, but I certainly appreciate its use of foreign/unorthodox-in-beer ingredients, as well as the alien peppery, coconut-basil-curryish flavor it imparts.
Carbonation seems weak, yet upon swallowing each sip, the sting of this can make you think otherwise.
I understand BP has also made this in a 9% run; I wonder if I'd have dug it more. As for this take, I wouldn't say it's something I'd seek out again. However, I give it credit for being completely unlike any other beer I've ever tried. I enjoyed it just enough.

TBoneJones, Feb 06, 2014

sonofliberty2, Jan 29, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bottle stating limited release with a number of 13,339 on it

A - Pitch black, with gold sediment specs floating on top and throughout the beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Dark grain and loads of Indian spices. Hot!

T - A dry stout up front, but the huge amount of spicy Indian notes come in a second later and really pop in the aftertaste. Spicy and hot! Definitely warms you up. The curry dominates

M - Oily and slick, medium bodied, and lots of carbonation.

O - An interesting brew, and original for sure. But not really my cup of tea. Too spicy for me, but then again I am not crazy on Indian food...so to be expected.

BeerDawgs, Jan 29, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Drinking from a glass poured from the 22 oz. bottle. I think the bottle is maybe a month+ old, which may explain some different experiences I'm having here.

A - Super dark, almost black, little to no head with modest carbonation. Can see small flecks of the spices resting on the top of the beer while light wisps of oily streaks lazily rock across the top of the glass.

S - Before my first taste, lots of lime, spice, and lemon. Later, now that my mouth is tingling from the spices, I am really hit in the face with a delicious chocolaty aroma with a kiss of cumin.

T - I'm not sure how to approach this. My first few tastes were very citrusy at first, followed by that chocolate and vanilla profile. Then, bam, the Indian spices have their way with your tongue, well into the aftertaste. Once my mouth became acclimated to the spice and eased into the pleasant burn, later tastes are much heavier on the Indian-spiced chocolate vibe.

M - Sits even and mellow. Again, the spices start having the way with how this beer sits on your tongue, likely subject to your personal tolerance / preference for Indian spices.

O - Presuming you're interested in the Indian spices, this beer is a must-try, and I suspect it'll be greatly enjoyed. For people more cautious on their attitude toward Indian spices BUT willing to try something different, I suspect they'll also enjoy a pour of this. While the spices dictate a great deal of the entire experience, they are not used stupidly or unabashedly... this is a very balanced experience that happens to hang out with Indian spices. Perhaps the must fun aspect of this beer is just how drastically the drinking experience changes while you come to terms with the spices... fun!

BakerBeer13, Jan 28, 2014

2dogbrew, Jan 21, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

afluentturtle, Jan 20, 2014
4.49/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer.

BierJager89, Jan 19, 2014