Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 858 | Reviews: 230
2.63/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

I was drawn in by all the bizarre additives, but should have known better. The smell is all curry and cumin. Taste is much the same, but the cayenne heat is present as well. Not much stout flavor, just lots of spice. Overall a regrettable purchase.

4.04/5  rDev +9.8%

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, I guess this was interesting. Like drinking a bottle of curry mixed with stout. I mean, this clearly wasn't made for beer drinkers but for people who are just generally adventurous with their palates. Go ahead and try it, it's definitely different, but I hesitate to even call it beer and if you're a beer drinker looking for a delicious beer, this ain't it.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The hints of spice and coconuts quickly hit the noise. The bite hits the back of the tongue and throat.

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The blend of spice was intoxicating. Combined it with an Ancho Chili Creme Brulee for an amazing dessert.

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

22 ounce bottle into a snifter.

Pours dark, opaque for the style. Not much head, some lacing. Smells great. Lots of curry. Picking out the cumin, some lime, a little coconut as it warms. Big curry taste up front, then the cayenne kicks in on the way down, a medium heat. Getting some lime and cumin again. Feels like it's highly carbonated, although the head didn't show it. Very smooth.

Liked this a lot- the spices are very well blended and complex. I would love this spicing in an Imperial Stout. I'm not sure this style supports all the spices that well, although the thinner feel might be better with a meal.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Bomber bottle

Pours a dark dark shade of reddish brown, not really approaching black, moderate mocha head, leaves a nice fine film and thin collar.

Cayenne, and cumin is what I pick up on the nose.

Pleasant stout with better thne moderate spicing going on. Moderate heat, that glows on the tongue for a good long while...also more cumin and curry/Indian spicing. Tasty, complex, interesting and quite worthy stout.....A natural pairing for some BBQ or indian food ....I'd definitely buy this one again

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

2.86/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells great but the curry taste is just too overwhelming for me. I like Indian food, I like stouts, so I thought I'd like a curry stout. I was wrong.

3.39/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Interesting experience. The curry stays in the back and warms the stomach and the back of the throat. Chocolate and coconut forward in flavor with the spiciness of the curry taking the backseat and lingering on the finish. Nose starts like a brown ale with hints of cayenne spiciness with chocolate notes in the back. Glad I got to try it. Some of the reviews on here are completely mislead and must be trolling, not abrasive at all in flavor or smell in spite of the ingredients.

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

Sooooo, I've been forced to submit a review due to my rating being detected as an outlier. This is nice since I enjoy, and work with, statistics. I have to say first and foremost that I thought maybe I had found the wrong page for this beer since the ratings are incredibly low. Just goes to show that beer, like most things in life, are subjective.
So here goes, I guess?:
Pours a nice West Virginia coal-country black. I like stouts that look like stouts. The smell is immediate. That immediate smell, to me (hint: I enjoy Indian food), is very curry and chocolate-forward and stupendous.
The taste has a nice back-throat fizzle that is usually reserved for chili stouts, though no heat follows it. This is a nice taste/aftertaste.
The remaining flavors consist of more curry, some sweet spices like coriander (also mentioned on the bottle description) and others that I can't make out since I'm not too much into reading my own reviews on BA and don't take the time to "power up my palette."
I was very surprised by the chocolate notes since they didn't seem to be advertised by Ballast Point, but there's that subjectiveness again...screwing things up.
LOVED IT.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Too much Madras for me but very interesting. Would love to have more coconut and kaffir come out in this.

3.34/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.14/5  rDev -14.7%

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.09/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.9/5  rDev +6%

2.49/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes/smells like coconut thai curry, a bit spicy. Interesting, but not at all what I look for in a beer. The first sip was a bit jarring, but mellowed out as I became acclimated. Overspiced for my taste. Sorry BP, your IPA offerings are in my top 5.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a: a syrupy, dark black color with some faint muddy brown notes. 1/2 finger tan head that is fading quickly and leaves you with nothing but a thin film on top

s: never smelled a stout quite like it. there is a chocolaty, maple syrup, and toffee background. but then it takes a turn with some aromas unique aromas. for me, i pick up the kaffir lime leaf right away - which adds a lightness and vibrance to the aroma which is quite nice. you're then greater with a mixture of cayenne pepper and coconut (as the text on the bottle also indicated). very interesting aromas going on here, with some nice layers.

t: whoa. spicy. right away you're punched in the face with spice from cayenne pepper. after the first few sips, your pallet adjusts a bit to what feels like putting cayenne pepper directly in there. i'm picking up some of that curry spice in here as well, with some malt sweetness. hard to get much else

m: lighter side of medium. low carbonation

o: overwhelmingly spicy for me. i appreciate what they did, and its a well-made beer, but i'm having trouble getting through it. its just a bit too much

3.46/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company