Follow our progress ...

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Indra Kunindra is a burst of madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and kaffir lime leaf. Enjoy!

Our India-style Export Stout is a unique collaboration with award-winning home brewer Alex Tweet. Released in limited quantities, this explosion of South Asian flavors is reason enough to kneel down and thank the heavens. And further proof of San Diego's status as a brewer's playground, and a beer lover's utopia.

Added by HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 288 | Ratings: 1,205
3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

Definitely alot going on here. It could have gone wrong but it did not. The cayenne is nice. So is the coconut. The curry threw me off a little but not enough to take away from a great beer.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Very dark brown with a 1.5 finger light tan head. Aromas of cumin, curry and lime along with the base stout. I really picked out the lime in the nose. Taste is tons of curry and cumin along with the sweet coconut and stout. Lime is not very detectable on the palate. The cayenne is there, but I did not notice much of it until I was on the second half of the glass and the beer was beginning to warm. Medium feel that had the right amount of carbonation. Interesting and unique beer that is perfect to share and a one and done. Good, but nothing to drink again.

4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Drink this beer between a few friends and you'll enjoy it. On the nose, coconut. Coconut and normal stout notes. Taste is straight coconut with lots of curry. Cayenne provides a bite, it's a chile beer. Aftertaste of chile lingers (but not too much). What a strange creation

4.21/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pours rich motor oil. Smell is of spice. Cumin and coconut. Taste is amazing. Curry and cayenne and coconut. Flavours meld well. Nice medium balanc on mouth feel.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Dark black with a milk chocolate head, with plenty of fish eyes.

S: There is a lot going on here. The front is curry and almost gives me a little bit of a taco seasoning thing... odd.. but behind that there is a sweet coconut and chocolate aroma..

T: Man that is weird. Curry up front, with a touch of spiciness, which mellows into dark chocolate, coconut, and roasted grains, followed by a hint of lime. It is certainly interesting, but I don't know if I like it. I enjoy the multitude of different flavors, but am not sure

M: Medium in feel, with fairly active carbonation.

O: Overall this beer is a misfit. It is certainly interesting, and well made, but I am not sure if the flavor profile is up my alley. It is interesting that this multitude of flavors works together in one brew which is impressive, just not sure if I love it.

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz bottle served in a stout glass. Pours black, tinged with red, and forms a moderate brown head. Aroma is of sweet curry, with a prominent coconut smell, along with turmeric and myriad other curry flavors. It actually reminds me of an oak-aged funky porter I've had from another brewery -- a fantastic one, mind you -- so I'm hopeful that these flavors work really well together in beer. Flavor combines the curry flavors from the aroma with spicy cayenne and green curry leaf. The result is really tasty and enjoyable but regrettably hot (spicy). Still, this might be the most enjoyable Chili beer I've ever had.

Probably wouldn't come back to this one, but if they'd turn down the capsicum in the recipe this could be an A+ sweet stout.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As other people have mentioned, this beer is exactly what it says it is and amazing. I have a case of it at my house. Substantial and drinkable, reads as a stout upfront and then you get the pepper and cumin spice in your mouth, finishes off nicely with lime. Very delicious on its own, even better with some spicy food. Try it!

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

The adjuncts in this beer work so well together. Coconut at first followed by hints of lime and a curry finish that creeps up on you. This beer's not for everyone so be sure you enjoy these ingredients before you buy it.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really don't know what to think of this beer. It's so different to the point of I'm more intrigued by what's in it than how to enjoy it. It's almost not a beer. I definitely should of had this with a certain type of food to bring out the taste for. In conclusion, it's not a beer for everyone but worth tasting due to the challenge it presents on the palate.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Initially saw "Limited release... Stout ... Ballast Point" ... Poured a nice dark looking stout ...Read the fine print after the first sip when I caught coconut, hot pepper, and other flavors i have yet to define...Didn't see that coming. (Note to self ..read the label ) The coconut is a touch stronger than the Koko Brown from Kona , the hot pepper has a zip to it. Overall not bad, very interesting, but once may be enough. As with other hot peeper brews, 12 oz is interesting, 22 is a little much. (and I love spicy foods)

3.94/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of the crazier beers I've had in recent memory. Previous reviews highlighting curry and cayenne balanced out by lime and coconut are spot on. This really is like drinking a carbonated Indian dish. Every sip brings to mind a spicy curry, before it even hits your lips. People who don't care for spice are going to hate this beer in a big way, like not being able to drink it kind of hate. I would recommend letting this warm just a bit into the mid 40s, and a 12 oz pour is more than enough. In fact a single bottle is something a couple of drinkers could split to get the full effect of the kunindra.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. Pours a pitch black color with over an inch of khaki head. Almost no lacing. Spicy curry aroma with lots of cumin and coconut. Hint of lime. The taste is lots of Thai green curry flavor. Coconut, curry, and lime blended nicely with some roasted malts and dark chocolate. But make no mistake though, this is mostly curry flavored. Spicy but not really that hot. Light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Good beer that is pretty interesting. Not sure about the 22oz bottle format but oh well. Overall, a good and different beer that I couldn't drink all the time but is definitely worth trying.

4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

For my money, it doesn't get much better than this. Deep dark brown color with robust head that really let's you breathe in that curry and coconut aroma. The curry hits your taste buds immediately, and sticks around when the heat from the cayenne kicks in. I don't detect the lime until the aftertaste, but it rounds out a terrific experience, and makes you want to go right back in for another sip. If you don't like curry, don't bother, you wouldn't understand the brilliance that is this beer.

1.17/5  rDev -69.1%

I've never had a beer I couldn't finish. Smell and taste are awful.. very over powering..however I still think ballast point is one of the best breweries in the nation in terms of quality

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Since I liked Stone Spicy Chai, it wasn't a surprise that the flavor combination really worked for me. The smooth flavor of the coconut nicely balanced out the latter sharp taste of cayenne, curry, and cumin. When tasting the coconut, the base stout flavors really come out. Ballast Point does make outstanding porters and stouts.

I started with a taster at Ballast Point Miramar, ordered a pint, and ended up purchasing a bottle!

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As noted in the reviews below, this could be a very polarizing beer. I happened to wind up on the 'like' side of things. Deep brownish/black hue (especially in the light), and barely any discernible head by the time the pours arrived. Curry and spice notes were dominant, and I did not get much of a coconut presence at all. This was very interesting in that the spiciness, etc. of the brew made for a very interesting tingle in the already coating and viscous mouthfeel. I would definitely suggest a sampler pour (I had a 4oz) as opposed to a bomber if you get the chance. While I thought it was very good (and again, what it was advertised to be), I am not sure that I would go for an entire bottle. I feel as though this would be a great beer to pair with various spicy dishes as well (as I am beginning to learn a bit more of that in the updated BA magazine!).

3.24/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours very dark with a thick caramel head. Smells are curry, coconut and lots of other spices. Taste was very disappointing, they are trying to do too much and the curry overpowers everything. Very strong aftertaste. Overall not what I would expect from Ballast Point, they are usually one of my go to brewers.

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

I did not expect to like this very much, but surprisingly enough the flavor combination really worked for me. The sweetness of the coconut nicely balanced out the heat of the cayenne (and curry, to a lesser extent). The cumin and lime didn't come through as much. Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it beer. I should also mention - I had this at a bar, started by getting a taster and liked it enough to get a 5 oz pour as part of a sampler paddle. Getting through a full 22 oz bomber would no doubt be a challenge by myself.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From bottle into tulip glass. Dark brown in colour with some slight lace.

S - pungent spice, kefir lime, curry spice.

T - coconut, cumin, really rich spice with a growing cayenne kick, some mild roast barley but really it is hard to pick up, it is more like liquid curry.

M - aggressive spiciness to it, maybe balanced a little by the creaminess of the stout and coconut, long lingering aftertaste.

This is probably THE most different and unique beer I have ever had. Truly this a very representative experience of the curry spices contained within this beer. Rich robust aroma and a spicy hearty curried taste, after some of the spice edges off it becomes quite an interesting interplay of the spice, lime and coconut, with the dark malt. Quite a satisfying curry beer. Really strongly flavoured though, getting through 22 oz by myself was a real challenge.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It might just be the chef in me but I thought the curry balance was spot in with everything. As a taster this is great, but 12 oz of this would be tough.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very interesting beer. Love the spices and dig the idea for this brew. Definitely a beer you need to research before buying since its very different than any foreign extra stout I've ever had. Share with a friend also because it's STRONG flavored.

Cheers!

4.66/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You get exactly what they promote with this beer -- India spices, curry, and tons of flavor packed into a nice export stout. Don't hate because you aren't as much of a curry fan as you thought. No false advertising here.

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle. Decent starting head that settles quickly to a thin layer of bubbles. Good initial ring lace, spots thereafter. The color is dark, dark brown where no light passes even along the edge.

Notes of black cherry, a hot spice (cayenne?), and ginger. I also detect in small amounts some dark cocoa and chalk. Smells like an unsweetened ginger snap with hot peppers.

The flavor starts normally for an Export Stout. The swallow has a touch of berry sweetness, but the aftertaste is jalapeño pepper with a touch of chocolate. Overall, very complex and interesting. The body is neutral and the carbonation is a bit high for the style.

1.22/5  rDev -67.8%

I truly enjoy stouts. That being said, I would recommend finding something else to try. Ordinarily I wouldn't even take the time of day to write a review about any consumer goods. However, I felt that it was my duty as a human being to warn my fellow man about this god awful abomination. DON'T FUCKING BUY THIS BEER. It is without a doubt the worst purchase I have made in regards to an alcoholic beverage. Curry is not a flavor you want in beer. I don't care how much you like Indian food. You would be better off licking the ball sack of a homeless man from Deli. I drank less than 3 Oz. of this brew and am still burping up an awful tasting blend of cinnamon, cumin and curry even as I type this review. WASTE OF MONEY

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of spiced beers, took a sip and ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It does have a complex flavor of spices but it is almost too much to handle when drinking. It felt like I was drinking Indian food. I am sure that was something they were trying to emulate, but it just didn't taste right to me.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company