Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 248 | Hads: 1,038
2.63/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

I was drawn in by all the bizarre additives, but should have known better. The smell is all curry and cumin. Taste is much the same, but the cayenne heat is present as well. Not much stout flavor, just lots of spice. Overall a regrettable purchase.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, I guess this was interesting. Like drinking a bottle of curry mixed with stout. I mean, this clearly wasn't made for beer drinkers but for people who are just generally adventurous with their palates. Go ahead and try it, it's definitely different, but I hesitate to even call it beer and if you're a beer drinker looking for a delicious beer, this ain't it.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

22 ounce bottle into a snifter.

Pours dark, opaque for the style. Not much head, some lacing. Smells great. Lots of curry. Picking out the cumin, some lime, a little coconut as it warms. Big curry taste up front, then the cayenne kicks in on the way down, a medium heat. Getting some lime and cumin again. Feels like it's highly carbonated, although the head didn't show it. Very smooth.

Liked this a lot- the spices are very well blended and complex. I would love this spicing in an Imperial Stout. I'm not sure this style supports all the spices that well, although the thinner feel might be better with a meal.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

Bomber bottle

Pours a dark dark shade of reddish brown, not really approaching black, moderate mocha head, leaves a nice fine film and thin collar.

Cayenne, and cumin is what I pick up on the nose.

Pleasant stout with better thne moderate spicing going on. Moderate heat, that glows on the tongue for a good long while...also more cumin and curry/Indian spicing. Tasty, complex, interesting and quite worthy stout.....A natural pairing for some BBQ or indian food ....I'd definitely buy this one again

2.86/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells great but the curry taste is just too overwhelming for me. I like Indian food, I like stouts, so I thought I'd like a curry stout. I was wrong.

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Interesting experience. The curry stays in the back and warms the stomach and the back of the throat. Chocolate and coconut forward in flavor with the spiciness of the curry taking the backseat and lingering on the finish. Nose starts like a brown ale with hints of cayenne spiciness with chocolate notes in the back. Glad I got to try it. Some of the reviews on here are completely mislead and must be trolling, not abrasive at all in flavor or smell in spite of the ingredients.

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

Sooooo, I've been forced to submit a review due to my rating being detected as an outlier. This is nice since I enjoy, and work with, statistics. I have to say first and foremost that I thought maybe I had found the wrong page for this beer since the ratings are incredibly low. Just goes to show that beer, like most things in life, are subjective.
So here goes, I guess?:
Pours a nice West Virginia coal-country black. I like stouts that look like stouts. The smell is immediate. That immediate smell, to me (hint: I enjoy Indian food), is very curry and chocolate-forward and stupendous.
The taste has a nice back-throat fizzle that is usually reserved for chili stouts, though no heat follows it. This is a nice taste/aftertaste.
The remaining flavors consist of more curry, some sweet spices like coriander (also mentioned on the bottle description) and others that I can't make out since I'm not too much into reading my own reviews on BA and don't take the time to "power up my palette."
I was very surprised by the chocolate notes since they didn't seem to be advertised by Ballast Point, but there's that subjectiveness again...screwing things up.

2.49/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes/smells like coconut thai curry, a bit spicy. Interesting, but not at all what I look for in a beer. The first sip was a bit jarring, but mellowed out as I became acclimated. Overspiced for my taste. Sorry BP, your IPA offerings are in my top 5.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a: a syrupy, dark black color with some faint muddy brown notes. 1/2 finger tan head that is fading quickly and leaves you with nothing but a thin film on top

s: never smelled a stout quite like it. there is a chocolaty, maple syrup, and toffee background. but then it takes a turn with some aromas unique aromas. for me, i pick up the kaffir lime leaf right away - which adds a lightness and vibrance to the aroma which is quite nice. you're then greater with a mixture of cayenne pepper and coconut (as the text on the bottle also indicated). very interesting aromas going on here, with some nice layers.

t: whoa. spicy. right away you're punched in the face with spice from cayenne pepper. after the first few sips, your pallet adjusts a bit to what feels like putting cayenne pepper directly in there. i'm picking up some of that curry spice in here as well, with some malt sweetness. hard to get much else

m: lighter side of medium. low carbonation

o: overwhelmingly spicy for me. i appreciate what they did, and its a well-made beer, but i'm having trouble getting through it. its just a bit too much

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It smells and tastes like authentic, Indian curry. It's amazing. A bold yet well-done beer. Worth a try, unless you are shy at heart. Pleasant spiciness that builds over time.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Whoa. Definitely one of the most challenging beers to review.

Look: Not as dark as most stouts. and looks noticeably thinner. Light brown head.

Aroma: Smells like an Indian Restaurant.

Taste: Spicy and SPICY. The curry and cayenne do not hide, that is for sure. The coconut comes through as your tongue begins to heat up. The lime leaf is also modestly present after several sips.

Feel: Not nearly the smoothness or creaminess you may be used to with stouts. A little bit thinner and definitely fizzier. That being said, this isn't a standard stout.

Overall: Definitely not for everybody. Definitely not for most occasions. However, I've never had anything quite like it, and that says something. Ballast Point really created a stout that is in a league of its own. Being that it's a limited release, if you see it, and you love the "beer adventure" try it.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

The nose is that of a jar of curry spice or maybe the first smell as you walk into a curry house. A beer shouldn't smell like this!
Taste the stout, then the curry, then the stout again, then it tapers into a lingering cayenne heat. A beer shouldn't taste like this, either!
Somehow, they pull it off, though, and it becomes an intriguing and powerful sip.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Unique beer with a hell of a lot of spice flavor. Reminds me that I need to make curry with coconut milk again. A bit overwhelming in flavor near the end but the spices make me feel so good, I can't stop.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer sounded so novel that I had to try it and I really like Ballast Point.

A - Black color with chunks of spice floating in it. Fluffy khaki colored head. Light lacing.

S - Strong curry and cumin smell up front. There is light lime and some signature stout fragrances but the curry is predominant.

T - Initially the curry hits the fore-tongue and then there is a rush of very complex spices over the palate. In the middle there is a sweet export stout flavor accompanied by a significant coconut taste. The finish is spicy with the cayenne and the curry bringing up the back strongly.

M - Moderate mouth-feel with mild carbonation. There is a sticky spiciness that lingers on the back of the palate but the sweetness from the stout is in the middle.

Overall, I was taken back by the spiciness. It is a pretty complex brew on the tongue but the curry and spice is quite strong. I did like the middle flavors and the complexity but the body and the spice just lingers. I would recommend this if you like cayenne on the back of the tongue but if you don't like spice then I would go with Victory at Sea instead.

Glass- Snifter

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Damn. If you enjoy curry, this is for you. The body has a watery look to it. Aroma of curry. Think of chicken curry. In the taste, there is a pinch of heat from Cayenne. All of the curry benchmarks are there. Turmeric, coriander, some ginger, curry spices prevail. The feel is superior.

Overall - This is a great beer. Again, only if you like Indian curry. I like it, and I would definitely have it again.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Weirdest beer I've had yet. Glad I tried it once. Don't know if i can finish the bomber. I do wish i would have split it with a couple of other adventurous peeps.An experience for sure. My tummy hurts...No regrats.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Love this beer. To this day, this is the only beer I have drank, and threw up as the first beer of the night because I drank it too fast like an idiot. Be forewarned, this is a true sipping beer, to be drank with food. It is spicy, and complex. Keep that in mind, and you will get along great with this one-of-a-kind brew!

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a curry stout. If that thought disgusts you, you probably shouldn't buy, drink or rate this beer. I couldn't imagine having this without food to stand up to it, but it went well with pulled pork. It's hard to imagine a better take on a "curry stout." Trust your instincts on this one. If you think you might hate it, you'll probably hate it. If a curry stout is in your comfort zone, check it out.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, dark brown--nearly opaque black in appearance; nice foamy head. Intense aroma of peppermint and mint; bitter chocolate; curry. Flavor hammers home the curry and hot, spicy character; Amaretto and hazelnuts; vanilla. Medium body, leaning towards the heavy side of things.

Now, I'm digging the initial curry aroma...and after a sip--wow! Peppery, high octane curry heat!! This most definitely is a love it/hate it type of beer. Personally, I love chile beers and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley. There's nothing subtle about this beast, yet it's entirely approachable if you enjoy a good, spicy, heat-generating beverage. Unique and approachable for those with an open-mind...

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An obviously polarizing brew, but if you're a bit of a foodie, or if you otherwise enjoy pungent spices and heat, this is your brew. For me, it's brilliant, but buyer beware indeed.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

1.36/5  rDev -64.1%

I should have read reviews before buying this. I'm clearly in the group of people who shouldn't have bought this. Maybe not the worst beer I've ever had but it's not a concoction I'll ever have again. Straight curry in my opinion.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Puts on a reasonable bubble show that leaves a surprisingly thin head that fades rather quickly; plenty of lacing hangs around, though

Smell: The aromatics don't quite do the flavors justice as it is hard to pick out everything though there are distinct tones of cumin, cayenne and coconut along with a roasty character

Taste: Roast and chocolate tones make a brief appearance before the heat from the cayenne and the south Asian spices take over; the Madras curry powder, cumin and Kaffir lime are powerful adjuncts, though there is a hint of coconut in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; moderate heat lingers on the tastebuds

Overall: Received as an extra in a trade a few years back, I am glad I gave this one some time in the cellar for the flavors to blend (kind of like how a curry is better on the second day); I find this beer fascinating but I am also quite fond of food from south Asia (and this beer combines spices from both India and Thailand); at the same time I have to comment that I am disappointed by the commentary by some of the recent reviewers - I understand that this beer is not for everybody but gratuitous and sophomoric comments (both pro and con) are not what this site should be about

Thanks to a forgotten BA for sending this my way

4.95/5  rDev +30.6%

As someone who loves big and complex flavor, this beer is unrivaled. I typically gravitate toward hard-hitting, aggressively citrus-y IPAs, but I have never been as wowed by a beer as I was by the Indra Kunindra. 10/10 would beer again.

1.39/5  rDev -63.3%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company