Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 859 | Reviews: 230
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with just some fizzy bubbles rising. Looks like a glass of Pepsi.

Holy shit what a nose on this. Lime, coconut, curry are big big aromas. Some charred malt in there somewhere.

Odd spiced brew. I only truly got all the flavors by reviewing it. The choice of stout works as a vehicle to carry the rest of the flavors. Curry, lime, and essence of coconut. Then, huge cayenne burn, with a good charred malt bitter push. The spices and essence flavors move aside, and the cayenne and stout notes stay. Now it is a peppered stout. Finishes with a burn and an french roast coffee bitterness.

Fuller bodied with carbonation that, if you belch, brings a pepper burn back.

Interesting. One to share (as this is a bomber). Hard to finish, but not because you dislike it, but because it is just alot of spice.

4.49/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

---

3/14/15

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle.

Pours a dark brown color with a yellowish tan head that fades fairly quickly to a thick collar and a few streaks of lace. Heavy coconut and curry on the nose, and not much else, fairly sweet. Medium thick, high carbonation body, soft on the palate and very spicy on the finish. Flavor starts sweet and malty, milk chocolate and coconut before finishing with a variety of spices I can't identify that continue to build in heat on the back of the throat and front of the tongue long into the finish.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, oily, jet black coloring with brown tints around the edges and no head whatsoever. Looks heavy and dense. Aromas of bittersweet baker's chocolate enveloped in curry spices. Very interesting blending on the nose. Flavors are curry forward, with both spice and heat, followed by a ribbon of chocolate and coffee, both bitter and sweet, and then the beer transitions back into the spice and heat of curry. The aftertaste is bitter and warming, and the warmth lingers throughout the finish and for quite a while after, as well. The finish is slick and smooth. This is a very unique take on an Export stout. I am very intrigued by it, and it would make for some interesting food pairings, because it seems like it can easily overpower.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I am not a hug fan of curry but I was willing to give this beer a try. I wanted to like it by could not get past the curry. I wish it was more my style, I would recommended it to to the fans of curry out there. They probably can get past the curry flavor that I can't. If you don't like curry don't try this but if you are open minded enough, might be worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know!

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company