Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nearly opaque body with brownish hues beneath the foamy, tan head which quickly dissappears to leave no trace of its existence.

There are hints of the traditional export stout characteristics such as roasted malt but the beer is really highlighted by the curry, cayenne pepper, and especially the lime leaf on the nose.

The flavor starts off quite roasted with a touch of bread and a touch of char. As it warms, the "India Style" kicks into high gear with copious amounts of curry, a nice kick of cayenne spice which is then followed by the lime leaf to smooth.

This brew is medium in body and carbonation but the mouthfeel is really highlighted by the spicy kick left to coat your palate.

I found this beer to be really enjoyable if the consumer can sit back and appreciate what the brewer was looking to accomplish. If you're benchmark for this style is Guinness Foreign Export, this may not be the beer for you. But the collaboration on this beer really did a nice job incorporating the "India Style" ingredients to a traditional brew.

3.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours jet black with a brown-ish head. In the aroma, curry, cayenne pepper, and small lime citrus. In the taste, lime, small curry, and notes of cayenne pepper spice. A small spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lime cayenne pepper, and curry notes in the aftertaste. Big lime, mellow curry and big spice in the end. Different, but enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.14/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well it's interesting to say at least. A stout by color and maybe malts, but I would say the body was a bit more like a dark ale. The spices of cinnamon and curry dominate the flavor profile. There is a root beer/licorice quality that develops as the beer warms. Carbonation is low. I think that it is worth a try as it is truly a unique brew.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

4.36/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very hard beer to review. To my knowledge, no one has ever brewed a beer with curry. It sounds like a risky idea at best.

We'll start with the obvious. This beer tastes like curry, and it's not subtle. You can smell it right away, but the taste dominates the palate. I like curry, so this isn't a bad thing. It would be easy to say that the curry flavor dominates the flavor profile, but the term "curry" has more than one definition. "Curry" is both a specific spice as well as a combination of flavors. If you order a curry dish at a restaurant, it will contain curry leaf as well as things like cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime.

From wikipedia: Curry is the generic English term primarily employed in Western culture to denote a wide variety of dishes whose origins are in Indian cuisine and Southeast Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian or Fijian. Their common feature is the incorporation of more or less complex combinations of spices and/or herbs, usually (but not invariably) including fresh or dried hot chillies.

This beer tastes like an authentic Indian meal. The flavor combination of this particular beer is very well balanced if you understand what curry really means. It's a tough thing to explain, but I hope I've done a decent job.

The beer is very dry, like a good stout should be. The hops are more subtle than I thought they would be, and that works just fine to let the unique flavors shine.

Easily one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. This is a drink that appeals to both the beer lover and foodie in me. I'm not always into beers with crazy flavors, but Indra Kunindra is mind-boggling and one of a kind. It's not often that a beer will blow my mind anymore; i've tried many. The best thing about this beer is the risk taken in releasing it. For $10 a bottle, a beer had better be something special. This could have been a giant train-wreck, but instead it raises the bar of what's possible in brewing.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Milky black, which is to say that it's opaque. Just a small ring of foam. I guess it doesn't want to sit too well in a pint glass. Even the ring eventually disappears. Looks like flat cola now.

Holy shit. That's a hell of a nose. Let me give this a shot. Other than the fact that it smells like a sweet chicken curry dish, I'm gonna try to break it down. First off... okay, I'm just going to name what comes to mind in descending order. Cumin, lemongrass, lime, coconut, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coriander, dark roasty malts, chocolate, nutmeg, and a savory staleness to finish it off. No hops, just a dull earthiness. Over-the-top umami. Love the Kaffir lime addition. Totally unreal nose. One of the most impressive noses on a beer that I've ever experienced. Do you think they nailed it???

First sip... ... ...

I'm a little speechless...

Taste follows the nose, but with the heat added. Curry powder, hot chili powder, cumin, sweet lime, vanilla, cinnamon, lemongrass, coconut water, chocolate mole, minerally roast grain, nutmeg and mulling spices, dried banana, musty earthiness, and cayenne pepper. Looking for a complex beer? Ha! This one is ree-dic. A nice level 6 or 7 spice, according to a cook at a Thai restaurant. Export Stout? Sure! Whatever you say! I swear, I'd like to eat this beer for dinner three or four times a month. I think this tastes great enough to give it a 4.5.

Thin. The flavors carry out better that way, perhaps. Still, I'd like a little more body than a flaccid and semi-flat watery juice beer. I guess with a recipe like this, you don't need to pay attention to all the details? Still, it suffers here.

I'm starting to second-guess what I look for in an Export Stout. Maybe they should all taste like authentic Indian curry and have a bite that stings. Spicy? I like. Savory? I like. This is a beer that I need to stock up (at least, in this household). My girlfriend calls this the best beer she has EVER had. I disagree, but it might not be too far off. I'm a sucker. Ballast Point nailed it and no one can take that away from them. You're a bold-faced liar if you think this could've been much better. Do you like Indian food? Do you crave the strange and the exotic? C'mon now folks, not much noticeable booze and the idea becomes fruition. Invent a style for a beer like this, and it's a record that will never be broken. So good.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Feel compelled to do the full review thing here; this brew knocked me for a loop.

A: It has that "really really dark brown as opposed to midnight black" thing that other-than-monstrous stouts seem to have. Can't see through it, but it's not quite the ebon void of deep space, either.

S: I've heard others claim it smells just like Indian curry. They aren't lying. I'm officially scared. What have I gotten myself into?

T: Wow. This is how you do savory spices in a beer. Just enough chocolatey sweetness to balance the curry, cumin, and cayenne. Speaking of cayenne, it's quite noticeable in the finish, but in more of a "hey, there was pepper in what you just ingested. Just thought you should know" way as opposed to a "so this is what pain tastes like" feeling.

M: I am a BIG fan of cake-batter-thick stouts, so I'm forced to mark this down even as I acknowledge that this spice blend probably wouldn't work in a 40-weight brew.

O: I really liked this beer, but then again I also like Indian curry, naan bread, samosas, and certain Bollywood flicks, so your mileage may vary. I say pick it up.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company