Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

A - black with a short-lived, off white head

S - curry, cumin

T - curry, cumin, lime, faint toasted coconut, light cayenne bite in the finish, light acidity

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp

A+ for uniqueness. Overall A. Really a solid beer with a tremendous flavor profile. This isn't a beer I could drink a lot of due to fatigue, but it is very enjoyable in small (bomber sized) quantites. This is very well balanced and very drinkable. This would be great with a meal or as a meal. You should definitely check it out.

4.7/5  rDev +27.7%

Poured on tap at full pour into a snifter glass at Churchkey.

A tan head is presented, with quite a bit of lacing while consuming, always leaves a good collar. Simple dark walnut brown/black body, quite opaque, pretty solid looking brew.

Nose is one giant wow, this is curry in a glass. It's all there, the milky coconut milk like cream, hints of curry powder and pepper. Lots of cumin! There is no sense of serious booming heat here either it's all nicely balanced like a good dish, it is truly mouthwatering!

Palate is all that and a bag of chips. Giant curry bomb with a classic powder angle with malt wetness to carry it. Under control. Milk stout like body though it's the only thing I can maybe fault if I want to split hairs, with a great coconut sweetness finish. Mild carbonation with good pepper powder action.

In one word, just flat up awesome. This is the kind of craft that really impresses me, just needs some cardamom or garam masala and we are taking this to the next level baby!

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Opaque black with a khaki colored head. Thai flavors abound. Lime leaf, coconut and curry. Kaffir lime leaf featured prominently. Thom Kha Gha. A little burn on the back of your mouth, near the throat. Citrusy and tangy. Spicy, but not deep or dirty. Perfumy, especially in the end. Surprisingly crisp. No bitterness.

Overall: I feared this brew for a month or two, letting it sit in the fridge, daring me to try it. I’m glad I finally did! It has bright Kaffir lime leaf flavors and a smooth and floral finish. It is very flavorful and definitely unique. The burn in the back of your throat is welcome. Despite being quite crisp for a beer this dark, it is also rich; I could have only one of these.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Photo of
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance – Pours a super dark black color with notes of red on the edges and noticeable carbonation. Has a nice head, very good lacing, and some sediment.

Smell – Coconut curry. If there’s other scents there, they are dominated by the curry. Nice, although not very "beer" like.

Taste – Curry, malt, a peppery spice, and a hint of lime. Taste a lot like a curry dish.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation, medium body, a fair amount of a hot spice that lingers in the aftertaste.

Drinkability – This might have a touch too much spice to be highly drinkable. I’m not sure whether curry belongs in beer, but I think this is about as good as it can be done.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a dark brown with a big fizzy medium brown head. Fades somewhat quickly, leaving just a smattering of lacing behind. Zero head retention, can't even revive it with a swirl. Looks to be almost completely flat.

S: What a unique aroma. Toasted coconut is quite apparent. Lots of spices that I can't really place. A little bit of heat burns the noise (chile pepper?).

T: Heavy coconut up front. Some roasted malt with a touch of char and chocolate. Very spicy in the middle. Chile pepper heat, nice wave of it right after the middle and into the finish. More spices and more coconut mixes in with the burning. Long lingering simmering heat that adds up. Having said that, it's nothing over the top, just lasts forever. Swear I get a hint of lime in that lingering aftertaste as well.

M: Medium bodied but feels heavier due to very low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: Definitely one of the most unique flavor combinations in a beer that I've ever had. Usually experiments like this fail miserably but this one turned out while well. Roasted malt tends to go well with chile pepper heat and the coconut brings a nice toasty aspect. Lots of spices everywhere that are hard to describe but contribute to the spicy/hot aspects of this beer. Nice balance of flavors to boot.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.78/5  rDev +29.9%

A-black with a decent dark tan head that thins quickly

S-roasted coffee and definitely some indian smelling spices, the kinds i expect to smell in an Indian restaurant. seriously smells a bit like curry. i've never smelled a beer like this. its odd.

T-wow this is odd! this comes in with an extremely evident flavor of coconut curry. wow i can't believe this. the cocoa is minimal. then comes in a fairly heavy heat of indian peppers. its awesome. this is awesome. wow. the spice really has a kick that stays.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-this is just an awesome beer. i've never, ever had anything like this. i was expecting some sort of weird dogfish headesque concoction that is weird and okay, but doesn't quite flow right. but this flows right, very right. its so yummy! its something i can drink all night, i'll actually be craving this when its gone, i know so. the spice hits so well.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

This sure looks like an interesting and unique beer. Let's see how it actually does.

The long neck shotgun pours the darker mocha colored fizzy bubbly almost 1 finger head that fades very quickly, and in an instant there is barely a head covering, with very little lacing, over pitch black thicker looking viscous like dark beer.

Nose explodes with curry and cumin, I almost thing I'm in India for a second, it's hard to get anything else behind all that, but somehow I find some dark malts, a light vanilla and caramel, and a bit of a milk chocolate, touch of toasted coconut, etc. Lots of spices and very Indian.

Taste actually starts with coconut, wow coconut, with a bit buttery and toasted coconut right out, with a nice vanilla like demeanor. Just as quick comes the cayenne, big spicy heat and lots of cayenne pepper. Finally comes the Indian spices, curry and cumin are fairly strong as the initial coconut fades, although the heat stays for a while. The malts bring a bit of mocha, little powdered cocoa and some caramel but barely. It's hard to get anything else other than the spices. Finish has a long cayenne pepper heat that lasts for a while. The heat seems to increase a bit after each sip and hits a nice hot plateau, and for a hot pepper fan it's quite nice. The finish is also sticky and syrupy, some lingering cumin and curry, and a bit of the toasted buttery coconut and little vanilla.

Mouth is med to a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, little creamy, and lots of pepper heat.

Overall quite a unique beer. The spices really come out and dominate everything else, and teh beer itself is kinda lost in it all. It's somewhat tasty as I'm starting to really enjoy well done curry, but all in all it's hard to get the beer aspect of it. The pepper heat is nice for me, as well as coconut, but still hard to really enjoy it as a beer.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.48/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can say is WOW. This beer is quite an experience. I am a huge fan of stouts and Ballast Point, so I figured this was a no brainer. The smell is what does it. This is one of the spiciest beers I have ever experienced. Lots of curry (and I mean LOTS) and the coconut and cumin really shine through as well. Poured this one cold out of the bottle and let it warm up a little in a tulip. The pour didn't yield too much in the way of head and the head was all gone by the time i was half way through. The taste was bold (of course) due to all the spices, but I was a little let down with regards to the body and mouth feel of this beer. I really let it warm up for the 2nd pour and I was rewarded for my patience. I would definitely recommend letting a cold one sit out for a good 10-15 minutes before drinking. Maybe more depending on your taste.
Overall I liked the beer and I'm definitely glad I picked it up, but I don't know if I need to have this one again. If you like curry, this beer is a must try. If you don't like curry, stay far away.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company