Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, Calif., on Dec. 27, 2012
Price: $7.99
Misc.: N/A

Poured a pitch black color with just over one finger of tan head that dissipated almost right away. Lots of random spots on the sides of the glass, well below average retention on the top.

Smelled unlike anything I’ve had before. Got crayons, yes, crayons first. Coconut followed, along with butter and curry.

All I can say about the taste is, “wow!” Like the smell, unlike anything I’ve had before. Got the coconut and crayon taste first, then got ripped with curry and a boat load of spices, including a lingering hot one at the end. I don’t know Indian food (besides curry), but there had to be tons of Indian notes. Spicy, spicy.

Full-to-medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, spicy finish.

This was my first foreign export style beer. Although I don’t like Indian food (to me that was what this beer was all about), this was a very interesting beer and something nice to try.

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours nearly pitch black in color and appears very still. A small, mocha colored head quickly fades to a thin ring across the top. Minimal spotted lacing is left behind.

S: A blast of curry up front in the aroma. If you can get past the intensity of the curry, there are hints of spicy peppers, lime citrus and a bit of coconut. But overall, the curry dominates.

T: The taste is much more balanced than the aroma. The curry is still very prevalent, but it tames down and allows the other flavors to come though. Similarly as before, these flavors contain cayenne, lime, and coconut.

M: Medium bodied with a still feel. The intense spices in the taste coat the palate and leave a lingering spicy taste.

O: I enjoy experimentation and unique spins on styles as much as the next person, but this was a little too much for me. The dominance of the curry made this one difficult to enjoy, though I was really looking forward to it. Doubt I'll try it again, but I commend Ballast Point for trying something new and unique.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:

A: Your typical black/brown stout appearance. Decent head, lacing is good.

S: Smells like a mix between a chipotle burrito and a chocolate bar. This should be interesting.

T: Weird flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, spicy curry. Somehow, it works ok. I wouldn't drink this fast, however. Nor would I drink this with any spicy food.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Burns the tongue a little.

O: I can sum up this beer in a single word: bizarre.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

With all the different spices used to make this brew what did I smell, oak barrels.
Only latter as it warmed did i pick up other aromatics. The most aromatic was coconut.
Next would be curry paste.
A light black or ruby brown color with a fast fading head.
Taste is spicy. With coconut and curry and hot cayenne.
I think the stout beer itself is a bit lost amongst the spices.
Drinks smooth and hot.
The best part was the aroma, quite fragrant.
This is a fun beer with a lot of things going on but I think it's too spicy in that it's not balanced well. If the spices were more in line with the stout malts so they each complimented each other, bam!, you got a winner.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Jet black with a beautiful khaki tan head, some sediment fallen and collected at the bottom of my glass, a water goblet. The nose was molasses and booze, with an extra unexpected scent, a smell of sweet coconut curry. I loved the taste of this! Vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and sweet coconut curry immediately followed by a spicy chile burn at the back of the palate that lingers through the finish. As the beer warmed the flavors became even more intense and accessible. The chile spice gave me a bit of heartburn to be honest. The mouthfeel was very pleasing, well carbonated with a medium thick mouthfeel that coated the palate without being oily. I highly recommend this to every craft beer lover as this is a truly unique brew, and done well.

3.43/5  rDev -7%

The clerk at Table & Vine convinced me to get this one over some other beer (I have forgotten which) by saying it actually tastes like Indian food. I very much enjoy Indian food, so let's see if he was right...

A - I was so intrigued by the spices brewed with this beer, I hadn't realized it was a stout. The pour let me know otherwise. The dark brew wells up a half finger of chocolate milk colored frothy head which fades almost immediately

S - they weren't kidding. the Indian spices are nearly overwhelming, the cumin especially. The lime leaf and the curry are also noticeable. One of the most powerful noses on a beer I've experienced. Not sure how appetizing it is.

T - Yup, he wasn't right. If you don't like Indian food, you probably won't like this beer. Conversely, if you like this beer, go try Indian food! The spices are intense. But good intense, they don't drown out the stout, but they are a challenge. Its like a good hot sauce; a good hot sauce is challengingly hot, but doesn't lose its flavor to blind heat. This beer doesn't lose its beer soul, but is a challenge to enjoy since the spices are so big.

M&D&O - definitely a challenge (have I said that this beer is a challenge), this spices will turn off a lot of people. I enjoy it, its complex, layered, and brewed with quality. Nice job BP.
Which leads to a weird score, the overall is higher than it should seem because what makes this beer great isn't really accounted for in the four metrics given.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Very spicy and interesting. The flavor profile was more Thai than Indian for me. Strong curry and coconut notes. Slightly jarring flavor profile. Ballast Point is one of my favorite breweries and I appreciate it when a brewery tries something different. Everyone should try this beer once since its flavor is so unique but I doubt that I'll be coming back for seconds.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company