Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)

Very interesting idea...best by 02JAN13

Pours black with a edge and some etch of mocha foam. Smells like curry mix in the spice jar still - profoundly strong. Oddly, the lime comes through and actually as it warms I think the cumin is what may put this over the edge for appreciation. I love curry, and I love cumin, but a little too much here. Flavor is like biting into a cumin, kaffir, massamun curry ball with a bit of cocoa and coffee. I can't stress this enough: THE BEER NEEDS TO WARM UP SUBSTANTIALLY. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a relatively dry finish.

1.33/5  rDev -64%

As a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts I had to give this a try.
VERY strong on the curry...I am not a fan of curry.
This tasted like Gandi took a dump in an Old Rasputin.
Unless you really like Indian food and the spices used in it then stay away from this poison.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub a couple weeks ago. This review is from notes.

Pours ink black with a very persistent tan head. Glass gets completely coated in tan foam. The smell is instantly curry balanced out by some oily coconut and roastyness. Again, classic Indian curry takes the lead in the taste, with anise, cumin and cinnamon notes. Coconut provides a nice moderating sweetness. Roasty, chocolatey stout flavors mix with a citric hoppiness in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and low in carbonation. Curry and bitterness from hops and black malt make up the finish.

This is an interesting stout. Its a little too curry dominant for my tastes. Still worth a try, made me want Lamb Vindaloo.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown pour sits opaque black. Dense, clay colored head. Despite it's auspicious beginning, all foam is gone by the time I finish my beer.

Smells like curry and coconut shreds over a pretty good export stout.

Cocoa and chile with an odd citrus something in back at first (the kaffir lime leaves?). As the beer warms the cocoa simmers down and the vanilla-y coconut stands out more. Hot cayenne fade. Smooth mouthfeel like a baltic porter.

Good grocery list beer. Usually the adjuncts are overpowering and messy or too subtle to be worthwhile but this was a good mix.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a dfh snifter

A: pours black with a bit of brown towards the head when held to the light... Little to no head after a regular pour, the head appears to be tannish, little to no lacing....

S: an interesting aroma, I get a ton of curry spice blended with cayenne along with a bit of lime, smells like a sweaty Indian guy, fresh out of the kitchen after cooking up some deliciousness in the tandor oven. I picked up on a strong whiff of coconut goodness when I opened the bottle however this seems to be lost now that its in my glass. I really don't get a lot of the typical stout aromas either... Mainly just the spice.

T: taste follows closely with the aroma, almost to a T, up front I get a light touch of chocolate then going into the curry spice and lime leaf, with the cayenne coming in strong on the finish, bringing a bit of heat to this, this is like liquid Indian food, very interesting. I do not mind the flavor, but a whole bomber may be a bit of a chore for one person.

M: medium heavy body with low/moderate carbonation... Not a bad mouthfeel. Dry w/ some cayenne heat on the finish.

O: this is a strange and interesting brew, a bit heavy on the lime for my tastes, and deffinatly heavy on the spice, like unsaid before, reminds me of a sweaty Indian guy. Glad I tried it, but I don't see myself hurrying to pick up another.

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Super dark. Can't see any light through it with a dark tan head. Big bubble disappear pretty quickly leaving little lacing on the glass.

S - Peanuts, curry, and a hint of malts.

T - Coconut curry, roasted malts, a little spice. Not as much curry flavor as I hoped for.

M - Light bodied stout that leaves a lot of curry on the palette.

O - I've had this beer on tap and it was MUCH better. It's a little too smooth out of the bottle for my taste.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Clear black colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smell is sweet with a strong chocolate and coconut aroma with a little mint to it. Little bit of caramel only existence of hop is the mint scent.

Starts off sweet with a lot of chocolate and strong taste of cinnamon.and cardamom? What the hell is in this? Reading the label "Madras Curry and lime leaf" well that is different! I can taste the lime and the curry but that coconut really stands out. This has a little burn to it.

Mouthfeel is thick.

This a tasty and unique beer and well worth the effort to taste.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Pours a dark brown-black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head atop. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts with curry powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, kaffir lime, coconut, and a touch of cinnamon.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts with some curry powder, coconut, and kaffir lime. Through the middle, the cayenne and cumin come through with some cinnamon and other spices. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate malts, cayenne, cumin, curry powder, and kaffir lime.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very interesting blend of curry spices in the export stout. Good overall balance with great complexity.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Shared by BRoss242 during his own send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, curry, Indian food, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, curry, and meat. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I really didn’t know what to expect on this one when I first saw. Once I took my first smell of it I REALLY didn’t know what to expect. Was this dry hopped with Indian food was one of my first thoughts… I happen to like Indian food, but why does my beer smell like it? The same went on in the flavor as well as it tasted like curried meat which was quite surprising. I could see this going well with a nice dish of Indian food, but on its own, I’m not too sure about. Glad I got to experience something this strange, but doubt I will do so again.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured into a tulip, appearance is very dark brown, almost black, with a foamy tan head that dissipates to a ring.

Nose is sweet and smells of dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, coconut, citrus fruit, and a little raisin.

Tastes of charred malt with touch of vanilla and coconut, followed by a citrus acidity, and a mild pepper heat that lasts into the extended finish.

Mildly carbonated and a lightish viscosity for a stout, which probably makes sense with the ingredients, particularly lime.

The pepper heat builds up on this with each sip which makes it a bit of a stretch to drink a whole bomber of. Nevertheless, it is an interesting brew that works with a food pairing. I thought it was good with a southwestern style chile. Would work even better with Indian curries. I'll try that option with one of my remaining bottles.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company