Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 966 | Reviews: 267
3.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer sounded so novel that I had to try it and I really like Ballast Point.

A - Black color with chunks of spice floating in it. Fluffy khaki colored head. Light lacing.

S - Strong curry and cumin smell up front. There is light lime and some signature stout fragrances but the curry is predominant.

T - Initially the curry hits the fore-tongue and then there is a rush of very complex spices over the palate. In the middle there is a sweet export stout flavor accompanied by a significant coconut taste. The finish is spicy with the cayenne and the curry bringing up the back strongly.

M - Moderate mouth-feel with mild carbonation. There is a sticky spiciness that lingers on the back of the palate but the sweetness from the stout is in the middle.

Overall, I was taken back by the spiciness. It is a pretty complex brew on the tongue but the curry and spice is quite strong. I did like the middle flavors and the complexity but the body and the spice just lingers. I would recommend this if you like cayenne on the back of the tongue but if you don't like spice then I would go with Victory at Sea instead.

Glass- Snifter

4.06/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Damn. If you enjoy curry, this is for you. The body has a watery look to it. Aroma of curry. Think of chicken curry. In the taste, there is a pinch of heat from Cayenne. All of the curry benchmarks are there. Turmeric, coriander, some ginger, curry spices prevail. The feel is superior.

Overall - This is a great beer. Again, only if you like Indian curry. I like it, and I would definitely have it again.

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Weirdest beer I've had yet. Glad I tried it once. Don't know if i can finish the bomber. I do wish i would have split it with a couple of other adventurous peeps.An experience for sure. My tummy hurts...No regrats.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Love this beer. To this day, this is the only beer I have drank, and threw up as the first beer of the night because I drank it too fast like an idiot. Be forewarned, this is a true sipping beer, to be drank with food. It is spicy, and complex. Keep that in mind, and you will get along great with this one-of-a-kind brew!

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%

This is a curry stout. If that thought disgusts you, you probably shouldn't buy, drink or rate this beer. I couldn't imagine having this without food to stand up to it, but it went well with pulled pork. It's hard to imagine a better take on a "curry stout." Trust your instincts on this one. If you think you might hate it, you'll probably hate it. If a curry stout is in your comfort zone, check it out.

4.81/5  rDev +30.4%

Who would have thought? This beer is fantastically done. Very impressed.

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Really damn hot, grab a glass of Delirium to go with.

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, dark brown--nearly opaque black in appearance; nice foamy head. Intense aroma of peppermint and mint; bitter chocolate; curry. Flavor hammers home the curry and hot, spicy character; Amaretto and hazelnuts; vanilla. Medium body, leaning towards the heavy side of things.

Now, I'm digging the initial curry aroma...and after a sip--wow! Peppery, high octane curry heat!! This most definitely is a love it/hate it type of beer. Personally, I love chile beers and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley. There's nothing subtle about this beast, yet it's entirely approachable if you enjoy a good, spicy, heat-generating beverage. Unique and approachable for those with an open-mind...

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very complex and delicious beer.

3.64/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Definitely nailed what they were going for. lots of curry / Indian spices on the nose and palate.

1.36/5  rDev -63.1%

I should have read reviews before buying this. I'm clearly in the group of people who shouldn't have bought this. Maybe not the worst beer I've ever had but it's not a concoction I'll ever have again. Straight curry in my opinion.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Puts on a reasonable bubble show that leaves a surprisingly thin head that fades rather quickly; plenty of lacing hangs around, though

Smell: The aromatics don't quite do the flavors justice as it is hard to pick out everything though there are distinct tones of cumin, cayenne and coconut along with a roasty character

Taste: Roast and chocolate tones make a brief appearance before the heat from the cayenne and the south Asian spices take over; the Madras curry powder, cumin and Kaffir lime are powerful adjuncts, though there is a hint of coconut in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; moderate heat lingers on the tastebuds

Overall: Received as an extra in a trade a few years back, I am glad I gave this one some time in the cellar for the flavors to blend (kind of like how a curry is better on the second day); I find this beer fascinating but I am also quite fond of food from south Asia (and this beer combines spices from both India and Thailand); at the same time I have to comment that I am disappointed by the commentary by some of the recent reviewers - I understand that this beer is not for everybody but gratuitous and sophomoric comments (both pro and con) are not what this site should be about

Thanks to a forgotten BA for sending this my way

4.95/5  rDev +34.1%

As someone who loves big and complex flavor, this beer is unrivaled. I typically gravitate toward hard-hitting, aggressively citrus-y IPAs, but I have never been as wowed by a beer as I was by the Indra Kunindra. 10/10 would beer again.

1.39/5  rDev -62.3%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

4.66/5  rDev +26.3%

A: Very dark brown, almost black, with a nut brown head.

S: Roasted coffee with a side of chocolate and toasted coconut.

T: At first, you get the notes in the smell, but as the beer starts to warm up, it yields the Indian spices. First the cayenne shows up, then the curry, followed by the cumin, then finally, the lime leaf.

M: Not creamy, and not thick, but it does have a slightly full, velvety feel with a little bit of peppery heat from the cayenne.

O: This is my favorite dark beer. I can understand why there's some dislike for it, but I love this beer so much, it's almost a bit heartbreaking to see and hear people refer to it as "piss" or "vomit". I really enjoy the fact that the beer doesn't get boozy as it warms up and allows other tasting notes to emerge. Can't wait to drink it again.

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with a medium frothy tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is huge Indian spice, perfumey curry and lime and coconut. Very interesting.

The flavor is interesting as well - lots of curry powder, sweet lime and a little coconut and then a lot of heat from the spice (cayenne). The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a very unique and interesting beer. It actually works for me.

1.23/5  rDev -66.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Absolutely horrible. Taste like soy sauce and indian spice.

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very different kind of beer but very memorable in a good way. I LOVE the spices!

1.29/5  rDev -65%

It is a terrible disaster.

This might have been the worst attempt at any beverage in the history of man. The mouthfeel (though spit up almost on consumption) was mouth full of spices that were balanced as if a deaf, dumb, blind, mute, Ethiopian wonderer grabbed a cabinet full of random dirt & attempted to make curry. The taste was 1 half sip away from vomitus. The appearance is as dark as night with a light stout head which is its only upside. I'm a US Marine & beer snob I'm quite aware, but I would not serve this "swill" to ISIS militants. That is how bad this product is. BP you are a top tier beer producer but on this you failed miserably. Please for the love of all beer drinkers everywhere take this urine off the shelves.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A: Pours a deep chestnut brown, tawny mocha head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring around the edges. Thick viscous coating on the sides of the glass.

S: Big curry up front, coriander, licorice, very spicy. Slight phenols, and toffee.

T: Loads of coriander, cumin, curry spice with curry being the most present flavor. Oak and dates come through. Hop bitterness comes right up front with the Indian spices quickly taking over. As the beer warms lime flavors present themselves.

M: Full body, viscous, although the spices and hop bitterness remove any slick feeling left in the mouth.

O: Good beer, not overly spiced for me although it is heavily spiced if you are not familiar with Indian food/spices. Definitely would not be having multiples of these as they would probably become more like eating a meal than thirst quenching.

2.44/5  rDev -33.9%

Hardest review I have ever written here, and please reserve me the right to update these comments in the near future. MMMmmm,...,....yuck,....omg, auguh! Try it again. Not much different reaction. This stuff requires some heavily spiced eastern food that can fight back. So, I give this every point from 0-5, all over the place, this is unique. It is more like a spicy marinade I make for kebobs on the bbq than something I intend to drink. Clever, spicy, surprising, I give it a 1-5 point spread, you are gonna hate it or love it and there ain't no place inbetween! I will bbq with this tomorrow as my marinade for tri-tip and I am sure it is going to be awesome.

Appearance - Looks like any other normal stout, it's difficult to get a low appearance, just know they can be deceiving!

Smell - Curry, spice, I'm in an Indian restaurant drinking the pungent air

Taste - HUGE hit of spice and heat, cumin, masala?, almost a saltiness, savory beer

Feel - Almost painful, raw, overpowered

Overall - Folks have given this 5/5's, which don't exist for their grapefruit/habanero IPA.. which I LOVE. I thought that, after their habanero, this would just be the next step, unfortunately we just don't click. I see comments like "oh well if you don't like this, stick to Bud Lite". Get out of here. This is such a uniquely crafted beer, perhaps my palate will appreciate it in time, but as for now it just seems like a risk that didn't pay off. Take the money you'd spend on this and try any/all other B.P. brews before this, only then would I suggest taking the dive. Will revisit in time, 1/5.

2.14/5  rDev -42%

On initial opening and pouring, I really got the smell of hard cedar and redwood. The taste is very much so, with huge hints of southeastern asian flavors. A very spicy beer with the slight stouty taste as the finish. I didn't like this beer and probably will not buy again.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company