1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

2.25/5  rDev -39%

4.19/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/4/4.25/4.5/4.25
I have never had anything quite like this. I was making curry for dinner tonight anyway, so I figured what an opportune time to crack this little bottle open. After experimenting with a couple of different 'unconventional' brews the past couple of days, my expectations were... well attenuated.
The pour provided not much overly exciting. Standard deep brown, with a decent sized creamy off white head. My aggressive pour left a decent head towering, but it settled in to a little film over the top in fairly short order.

Upon first inspection, I thought that my nose was overwhelmed by the stove. I smelled what I thought was the turmeric and curry paste and cumin. So I stepped outside. Still there, with a faint undertone of something creamy and roasty. Huh.

Taking a sip, my confused conclusion was confirmed. A firm foundation of a well craft roasty stout is augmented by the adjuncts listed on the label. The coconut adds a creamy smootheness to it, almost like a milk stout, while the lime gives it some sweet and some bitter, but what really stood out is how well incorporated the curry spices were, and how they seemed to weave seamlessly through the traditional stout characteristics. Finally, there is a very definite burn from the pepper, but not overwhelming. As with well spiced food, it accents the experience, highlighting certain characteristics without overpowering or distracting. Probably the most enjoyable incorporation of pepper heat into a beer that I can remember (there have been others that incorporate the FLAVOUR etc of peppers as well or better, but just looking at the heat aspect, this was probably the best fit I can recall)

Initially I wasn't sure what to expect of this, especially after sniffing it as I poured. This could VERY easily have been some bizarre and unintelligible mess ala some of the voodoo doughnut collabos, but damn Ballast Point nailed it with this one. Taking a completely left field combination and not only making it fit and play nice with itself, but to craft something so purely enjoyable... my hat's off.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company