Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,070
4.38/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, dark brown--nearly opaque black in appearance; nice foamy head. Intense aroma of peppermint and mint; bitter chocolate; curry. Flavor hammers home the curry and hot, spicy character; Amaretto and hazelnuts; vanilla. Medium body, leaning towards the heavy side of things.

Now, I'm digging the initial curry aroma...and after a sip--wow! Peppery, high octane curry heat!! This most definitely is a love it/hate it type of beer. Personally, I love chile beers and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley. There's nothing subtle about this beast, yet it's entirely approachable if you enjoy a good, spicy, heat-generating beverage. Unique and approachable for those with an open-mind...

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An obviously polarizing brew, but if you're a bit of a foodie, or if you otherwise enjoy pungent spices and heat, this is your brew. For me, it's brilliant, but buyer beware indeed.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

1.36/5  rDev -64.1%

I should have read reviews before buying this. I'm clearly in the group of people who shouldn't have bought this. Maybe not the worst beer I've ever had but it's not a concoction I'll ever have again. Straight curry in my opinion.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Puts on a reasonable bubble show that leaves a surprisingly thin head that fades rather quickly; plenty of lacing hangs around, though

Smell: The aromatics don't quite do the flavors justice as it is hard to pick out everything though there are distinct tones of cumin, cayenne and coconut along with a roasty character

Taste: Roast and chocolate tones make a brief appearance before the heat from the cayenne and the south Asian spices take over; the Madras curry powder, cumin and Kaffir lime are powerful adjuncts, though there is a hint of coconut in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; moderate heat lingers on the tastebuds

Overall: Received as an extra in a trade a few years back, I am glad I gave this one some time in the cellar for the flavors to blend (kind of like how a curry is better on the second day); I find this beer fascinating but I am also quite fond of food from south Asia (and this beer combines spices from both India and Thailand); at the same time I have to comment that I am disappointed by the commentary by some of the recent reviewers - I understand that this beer is not for everybody but gratuitous and sophomoric comments (both pro and con) are not what this site should be about

Thanks to a forgotten BA for sending this my way

4.95/5  rDev +30.6%

As someone who loves big and complex flavor, this beer is unrivaled. I typically gravitate toward hard-hitting, aggressively citrus-y IPAs, but I have never been as wowed by a beer as I was by the Indra Kunindra. 10/10 would beer again.

1.39/5  rDev -63.3%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

4.66/5  rDev +23%

A: Very dark brown, almost black, with a nut brown head.

S: Roasted coffee with a side of chocolate and toasted coconut.

T: At first, you get the notes in the smell, but as the beer starts to warm up, it yields the Indian spices. First the cayenne shows up, then the curry, followed by the cumin, then finally, the lime leaf.

M: Not creamy, and not thick, but it does have a slightly full, velvety feel with a little bit of peppery heat from the cayenne.

O: This is my favorite dark beer. I can understand why there's some dislike for it, but I love this beer so much, it's almost a bit heartbreaking to see and hear people refer to it as "piss" or "vomit". I really enjoy the fact that the beer doesn't get boozy as it warms up and allows other tasting notes to emerge. Can't wait to drink it again.

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with a medium frothy tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is huge Indian spice, perfumey curry and lime and coconut. Very interesting.

The flavor is interesting as well - lots of curry powder, sweet lime and a little coconut and then a lot of heat from the spice (cayenne). The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a very unique and interesting beer. It actually works for me.

This might have been the worst attempt at any beverage in the history of man. The mouthfeel (though spit up almost on consumption) was mouth full of spices that were balanced as if a deaf, dumb, blind, mute, Ethiopian wonderer grabbed a cabinet full of random dirt & attempted to make curry. The taste was 1 half sip away from vomitus. The appearance is as dark as night with a light stout head which is its only upside. I'm a US Marine & beer snob I'm quite aware, but I would not serve this "swill" to ISIS militants. That is how bad this product is. BP you are a top tier beer producer but on this you failed miserably. Please for the love of all beer drinkers everywhere take this urine off the shelves.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A: Pours a deep chestnut brown, tawny mocha head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring around the edges. Thick viscous coating on the sides of the glass.

S: Big curry up front, coriander, licorice, very spicy. Slight phenols, and toffee.

T: Loads of coriander, cumin, curry spice with curry being the most present flavor. Oak and dates come through. Hop bitterness comes right up front with the Indian spices quickly taking over. As the beer warms lime flavors present themselves.

M: Full body, viscous, although the spices and hop bitterness remove any slick feeling left in the mouth.

O: Good beer, not overly spiced for me although it is heavily spiced if you are not familiar with Indian food/spices. Definitely would not be having multiples of these as they would probably become more like eating a meal than thirst quenching.

2.44/5  rDev -35.6%

Hardest review I have ever written here, and please reserve me the right to update these comments in the near future. MMMmmm,...,....yuck,....omg, auguh! Try it again. Not much different reaction. This stuff requires some heavily spiced eastern food that can fight back. So, I give this every point from 0-5, all over the place, this is unique. It is more like a spicy marinade I make for kebobs on the bbq than something I intend to drink. Clever, spicy, surprising, I give it a 1-5 point spread, you are gonna hate it or love it and there ain't no place inbetween! I will bbq with this tomorrow as my marinade for tri-tip and I am sure it is going to be awesome.

Appearance - Looks like any other normal stout, it's difficult to get a low appearance, just know they can be deceiving!

Smell - Curry, spice, I'm in an Indian restaurant drinking the pungent air

Taste - HUGE hit of spice and heat, cumin, masala?, almost a saltiness, savory beer

Feel - Almost painful, raw, overpowered

Overall - Folks have given this 5/5's, which don't exist for their grapefruit/habanero IPA.. which I LOVE. I thought that, after their habanero, this would just be the next step, unfortunately we just don't click. I see comments like "oh well if you don't like this, stick to Bud Lite". Get out of here. This is such a uniquely crafted beer, perhaps my palate will appreciate it in time, but as for now it just seems like a risk that didn't pay off. Take the money you'd spend on this and try any/all other B.P. brews before this, only then would I suggest taking the dive. Will revisit in time, 1/5.

2.14/5  rDev -43.5%

On initial opening and pouring, I really got the smell of hard cedar and redwood. The taste is very much so, with huge hints of southeastern asian flavors. A very spicy beer with the slight stouty taste as the finish. I didn't like this beer and probably will not buy again.

This beer is amazingly creative. Big bold flavors work well together and come through in well defined layers. Some of these haters should just stick with their Bud Light.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Appearance: Mild head retention, , nice lacing. Black with a light brown head.

Nose: Loads of cumin and curry, with a little pepper in the middle. Coconut smoothness.

Taste: Many Indian spices put together very nicely. Curry and spice at the end. Some very nice pepper hotness at the end. Blended perfectly. These are not easy spices to play around with. You get sweet, flavorful, spicy and bitter...in that order.

Notes: I reviewed this so highly because of the complexity and competence with which these spices were added.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Big coconut lots of spicy herbs, anise, lots going on, no roasted malt characters, really aromatic and complex, a lot aromas.

A: Black with a tan head, the head dissipated fairly quickly, has a nice color.

T: Coconut, anise, spicy herbs, getting some chili, dry, the spice lingers, no roasted malts.

M: Lots of carbonation, medium body, dry finish on the palate.

O: There's just too much going on for me with this beer, I love stouts, but there so much that I think it takes away from the stout characteristics. I think all the added flavors overwhelm what should be the main characteristics, the stout flavors, I love the chili and I noticed that as the beer warms the chili is more apparent, but all the other flavors are just too much.

1.29/5  rDev -66%

Doopie brought this one out on beer night a few weeks back. Alrighty then...

From a bomber into a snifter
Basically described as an Indian curry in beer form

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour yields a one finger, thinner, foamy, light tan head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a full wisp. Clear bistre brown with higher levels of carbonation. A ring and slight wisp remain leaving no real lacing on the glass. Quite light, foamy and carbonated for the style.

SMELL: Nasty. I guess Indian curry is what they wanted, but why in the name of _____ would someone want that? Lots of curry and cumin all over the place. A bit of coconut and chocolate try to fight their way through, but it’s dominated by the Indian spices. Basically liquid curry.

TASTE: What the hell. Whoever thought of this should be fired immediately. Don’t waste any time and start firing. Awful. Lots of curry and cumin spices up front with harsh and hot finish dominated by heat and spices. The horror just doesn’t quit. Again, mass firings should be the only publicized result of this endeavor. This burns and burns hard. We should consider blaming this brew for various ill-advised decisions our world leaders have made and will make concerning the running and administration of our planet, as well as every disastrous consequences of a major military operation since WWI. Even with this, we’re letting Indra off easy.

PALATE: Slightly thinner body and medium levels of carbonation. Half creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a big burn and rake to the back of the throat at the swallow and finishes with piles of spicy heat. Hot and hot just lingers forever. Reminds me of hot curry madness.

OVERALL: *Shrugs shoulders* As if someone would ever do this on purpose. To be sure, I actually like Indian food and can appreciate a touch more heat than your average bear, but this is probably the most exact and accurate representation of “mistake” in physical form on the planet. I can picture the beards sitting around and debating whether they should release this beer or not… “Well, this sucks, but we need to sell it, and since the vast majority of our other beers are pretty awesome, enough people will give us the benefit of the doubt and buy a bottle so we can sell it all, then they’ll try it and hate it, but they won’t give up on us because of the other awesome stuff.” Well, okay, you’re right. You guys are great, but this… the only logical consequence from this is extreme firings. Extreme mass firings.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Basin Pub in Bushnell's Basin, NY.

Holy shit, what a weird beer.

Pours a fairly dark black, with a small quarter inch tan head, and a good amount of lacing.

The aroma on this one? Wow. It really does smell like spicy curry. Somehow in my mind I thought they were lying or something and this would just be a nice regular stout. Nope. There's curry powder, cayenne pepper, and chocolate, all miraculously working together.

The taste is also pretty good, surprisingly. This is far from something I could drink a ton of, 4 oz is just enough. There's a distinct and delicious curry powder flavor, and cumin, as well, up front, buried by chocolate and hot peppers. The pepper flavor lingers for a while, and is actually quite spicy. I get a little bit of coconut on some sips too, but not on all of them. Against all odds, this tastes good. I'm really impressed with the beer's ability to make put flavors together in a beer that should never be there, and actually make the flavors work.

This one is medium bodied, with a dry, spicy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's a slow sipper, due to the intensity of the unusual flavors.

This really worked. I'm quite impressed with Ballast Point. Is it something I could drink all day? No, not at all. Should everybody try at least a little bit? Definitely.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark color with a tan head.
S - toasted and dark chocolate with lots of spice
T - Coconut with lots of curry and cayenne.
M - Medium body
O - Like curry and spice you will enjoy it. It certain to be unique.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry.

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%

I have never had anything quite like this. I was making curry for dinner tonight anyway, so I figured what an opportune time to crack this little bottle open. After experimenting with a couple of different 'unconventional' brews the past couple of days, my expectations were... well attenuated.
The pour provided not much overly exciting. Standard deep brown, with a decent sized creamy off white head. My aggressive pour left a decent head towering, but it settled in to a little film over the top in fairly short order.

Upon first inspection, I thought that my nose was overwhelmed by the stove. I smelled what I thought was the turmeric and curry paste and cumin. So I stepped outside. Still there, with a faint undertone of something creamy and roasty. Huh.

Taking a sip, my confused conclusion was confirmed. A firm foundation of a well craft roasty stout is augmented by the adjuncts listed on the label. The coconut adds a creamy smootheness to it, almost like a milk stout, while the lime gives it some sweet and some bitter, but what really stood out is how well incorporated the curry spices were, and how they seemed to weave seamlessly through the traditional stout characteristics. Finally, there is a very definite burn from the pepper, but not overwhelming. As with well spiced food, it accents the experience, highlighting certain characteristics without overpowering or distracting. Probably the most enjoyable incorporation of pepper heat into a beer that I can remember (there have been others that incorporate the FLAVOUR etc of peppers as well or better, but just looking at the heat aspect, this was probably the best fit I can recall)

Initially I wasn't sure what to expect of this, especially after sniffing it as I poured. This could VERY easily have been some bizarre and unintelligible mess ala some of the voodoo doughnut collabos, but damn Ballast Point nailed it with this one. Taking a completely left field combination and not only making it fit and play nice with itself, but to craft something so purely enjoyable... my hat's off.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

I'm not sure how to rate this beer. It's really unique. Had on draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

Smells like curry.
Tastes like liquid curry sauce with a side of stout. It's well done but I really felt like I was eating a curry dish. Very strange beer drinking experience indeed.

What is Hindi for "ay caramba"? This is a highly unusual beer. It is Capetown Curry in a glass. Strong spices: cumin dominates but also other sweeter notes. And a peppery kick. Color nearly opaque dark brown. A worthwhile left-fieldish beer I would definitely get again. (You maybe literally COULD make curry with it, but is maybe a little high priced for a cooking ingredient.)

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Black beer with dark brown hues, light mocha head. Smells is dark chocolate, toasted coconut, burnt sugar, brown sugar. Taste is toasty coconut, marshmellow, creamy coconut, cumin, cinamin spice, some juicy orange, and pepper heat towards the end that dries the beer out. Overall a solid beer.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company