Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 245 | Hads: 1,019
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A: Pours a deep chestnut brown, tawny mocha head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring around the edges. Thick viscous coating on the sides of the glass.

S: Big curry up front, coriander, licorice, very spicy. Slight phenols, and toffee.

T: Loads of coriander, cumin, curry spice with curry being the most present flavor. Oak and dates come through. Hop bitterness comes right up front with the Indian spices quickly taking over. As the beer warms lime flavors present themselves.

M: Full body, viscous, although the spices and hop bitterness remove any slick feeling left in the mouth.

O: Good beer, not overly spiced for me although it is heavily spiced if you are not familiar with Indian food/spices. Definitely would not be having multiples of these as they would probably become more like eating a meal than thirst quenching. (882 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -35.3%

Hardest review I have ever written here, and please reserve me the right to update these comments in the near future. MMMmmm,...,....yuck,....omg, auguh! Try it again. Not much different reaction. This stuff requires some heavily spiced eastern food that can fight back. So, I give this every point from 0-5, all over the place, this is unique. It is more like a spicy marinade I make for kebobs on the bbq than something I intend to drink. Clever, spicy, surprising, I give it a 1-5 point spread, you are gonna hate it or love it and there ain't no place inbetween! I will bbq with this tomorrow as my marinade for tri-tip and I am sure it is going to be awesome. (664 characters)

Appearance - Looks like any other normal stout, it's difficult to get a low appearance, just know they can be deceiving!

Smell - Curry, spice, I'm in an Indian restaurant drinking the pungent air

Taste - HUGE hit of spice and heat, cumin, masala?, almost a saltiness, savory beer

Feel - Almost painful, raw, overpowered

Overall - Folks have given this 5/5's, which don't exist for their grapefruit/habanero IPA.. which I LOVE. I thought that, after their habanero, this would just be the next step, unfortunately we just don't click. I see comments like "oh well if you don't like this, stick to Bud Lite". Get out of here. This is such a uniquely crafted beer, perhaps my palate will appreciate it in time, but as for now it just seems like a risk that didn't pay off. Take the money you'd spend on this and try any/all other B.P. brews before this, only then would I suggest taking the dive. Will revisit in time, 1/5. (930 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -43.2%

On initial opening and pouring, I really got the smell of hard cedar and redwood. The taste is very much so, with huge hints of southeastern asian flavors. A very spicy beer with the slight stouty taste as the finish. I didn't like this beer and probably will not buy again. (274 characters)

This beer is amazingly creative. Big bold flavors work well together and come through in well defined layers. Some of these haters should just stick with their Bud Light. (170 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: Mild head retention, , nice lacing. Black with a light brown head.

Nose: Loads of cumin and curry, with a little pepper in the middle. Coconut smoothness.

Taste: Many Indian spices put together very nicely. Curry and spice at the end. Some very nice pepper hotness at the end. Blended perfectly. These are not easy spices to play around with. You get sweet, flavorful, spicy and bitter...in that order.

Notes: I reviewed this so highly because of the complexity and competence with which these spices were added. (542 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Big coconut lots of spicy herbs, anise, lots going on, no roasted malt characters, really aromatic and complex, a lot aromas.

A: Black with a tan head, the head dissipated fairly quickly, has a nice color.

T: Coconut, anise, spicy herbs, getting some chili, dry, the spice lingers, no roasted malts.

M: Lots of carbonation, medium body, dry finish on the palate.

O: There's just too much going on for me with this beer, I love stouts, but there so much that I think it takes away from the stout characteristics. I think all the added flavors overwhelm what should be the main characteristics, the stout flavors, I love the chili and I noticed that as the beer warms the chili is more apparent, but all the other flavors are just too much. (796 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -65.8%

Doopie brought this one out on beer night a few weeks back. Alrighty then...

From a bomber into a snifter
Basically described as an Indian curry in beer form

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour yields a one finger, thinner, foamy, light tan head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a full wisp. Clear bistre brown with higher levels of carbonation. A ring and slight wisp remain leaving no real lacing on the glass. Quite light, foamy and carbonated for the style.

SMELL: Nasty. I guess Indian curry is what they wanted, but why in the name of _____ would someone want that? Lots of curry and cumin all over the place. A bit of coconut and chocolate try to fight their way through, but it’s dominated by the Indian spices. Basically liquid curry.

TASTE: What the hell. Whoever thought of this should be fired immediately. Don’t waste any time and start firing. Awful. Lots of curry and cumin spices up front with harsh and hot finish dominated by heat and spices. The horror just doesn’t quit. Again, mass firings should be the only publicized result of this endeavor. This burns and burns hard. We should consider blaming this brew for various ill-advised decisions our world leaders have made and will make concerning the running and administration of our planet, as well as every disastrous consequences of a major military operation since WWI. Even with this, we’re letting Indra off easy.

PALATE: Slightly thinner body and medium levels of carbonation. Half creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a big burn and rake to the back of the throat at the swallow and finishes with piles of spicy heat. Hot and hot just lingers forever. Reminds me of hot curry madness.

OVERALL: *Shrugs shoulders* As if someone would ever do this on purpose. To be sure, I actually like Indian food and can appreciate a touch more heat than your average bear, but this is probably the most exact and accurate representation of “mistake” in physical form on the planet. I can picture the beards sitting around and debating whether they should release this beer or not… “Well, this sucks, but we need to sell it, and since the vast majority of our other beers are pretty awesome, enough people will give us the benefit of the doubt and buy a bottle so we can sell it all, then they’ll try it and hate it, but they won’t give up on us because of the other awesome stuff.” Well, okay, you’re right. You guys are great, but this… the only logical consequence from this is extreme firings. Extreme mass firings. (2,532 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Basin Pub in Bushnell's Basin, NY.

Holy shit, what a weird beer.

Pours a fairly dark black, with a small quarter inch tan head, and a good amount of lacing.

The aroma on this one? Wow. It really does smell like spicy curry. Somehow in my mind I thought they were lying or something and this would just be a nice regular stout. Nope. There's curry powder, cayenne pepper, and chocolate, all miraculously working together.

The taste is also pretty good, surprisingly. This is far from something I could drink a ton of, 4 oz is just enough. There's a distinct and delicious curry powder flavor, and cumin, as well, up front, buried by chocolate and hot peppers. The pepper flavor lingers for a while, and is actually quite spicy. I get a little bit of coconut on some sips too, but not on all of them. Against all odds, this tastes good. I'm really impressed with the beer's ability to make put flavors together in a beer that should never be there, and actually make the flavors work.

This one is medium bodied, with a dry, spicy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's a slow sipper, due to the intensity of the unusual flavors.

This really worked. I'm quite impressed with Ballast Point. Is it something I could drink all day? No, not at all. Should everybody try at least a little bit? Definitely. (1,329 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark color with a tan head.
S - toasted and dark chocolate with lots of spice
T - Coconut with lots of curry and cayenne.
M - Medium body
O - Like curry and spice you will enjoy it. It certain to be unique. (213 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry. (1,429 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

3.5/4/4.25/4.5/4.25
I have never had anything quite like this. I was making curry for dinner tonight anyway, so I figured what an opportune time to crack this little bottle open. After experimenting with a couple of different 'unconventional' brews the past couple of days, my expectations were... well attenuated.
The pour provided not much overly exciting. Standard deep brown, with a decent sized creamy off white head. My aggressive pour left a decent head towering, but it settled in to a little film over the top in fairly short order.

Upon first inspection, I thought that my nose was overwhelmed by the stove. I smelled what I thought was the turmeric and curry paste and cumin. So I stepped outside. Still there, with a faint undertone of something creamy and roasty. Huh.

Taking a sip, my confused conclusion was confirmed. A firm foundation of a well craft roasty stout is augmented by the adjuncts listed on the label. The coconut adds a creamy smootheness to it, almost like a milk stout, while the lime gives it some sweet and some bitter, but what really stood out is how well incorporated the curry spices were, and how they seemed to weave seamlessly through the traditional stout characteristics. Finally, there is a very definite burn from the pepper, but not overwhelming. As with well spiced food, it accents the experience, highlighting certain characteristics without overpowering or distracting. Probably the most enjoyable incorporation of pepper heat into a beer that I can remember (there have been others that incorporate the FLAVOUR etc of peppers as well or better, but just looking at the heat aspect, this was probably the best fit I can recall)

Initially I wasn't sure what to expect of this, especially after sniffing it as I poured. This could VERY easily have been some bizarre and unintelligible mess ala some of the voodoo doughnut collabos, but damn Ballast Point nailed it with this one. Taking a completely left field combination and not only making it fit and play nice with itself, but to craft something so purely enjoyable... my hat's off. (2,089 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

I'm not sure how to rate this beer. It's really unique. Had on draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

Smells like curry.
Tastes like liquid curry sauce with a side of stout. It's well done but I really felt like I was eating a curry dish. Very strange beer drinking experience indeed. (290 characters)

What is Hindi for "ay caramba"? This is a highly unusual beer. It is Capetown Curry in a glass. Strong spices: cumin dominates but also other sweeter notes. And a peppery kick. Color nearly opaque dark brown. A worthwhile left-fieldish beer I would definitely get again. (You maybe literally COULD make curry with it, but is maybe a little high priced for a cooking ingredient.) (378 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Black beer with dark brown hues, light mocha head. Smells is dark chocolate, toasted coconut, burnt sugar, brown sugar. Taste is toasty coconut, marshmellow, creamy coconut, cumin, cinamin spice, some juicy orange, and pepper heat towards the end that dries the beer out. Overall a solid beer. (293 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Looks like a dark beer. Yeah, dark brown, like a soft siesta. Head is beige, nice-looking, like a woman. This head is a woman.

Smell is spice-gasmic. Mildly tickles you with roast, then takes you on a cable car, presenting you with anise and clovey vistas. And nothing else.

Taste has a similar note, but a touch of roast, before it forays into spice territory, and what a Leroy Jenkinsian foray! Pepper, even chilli there, plus anise, then finish is dry, with some vanilla pods and odd herbal pepper notes as well. It is a decidedly odd chap, but one I decidedly like.

Foamy, really odd spicy notes on the back. Weird.

You meet this chap on the street. He reads you some new wave beat poetry. It's avant-garde. It's weird. I can't help but like him though. He's definitely his own beer. (791 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 4/21/2014. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 2 finger fairly dense tan head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and the wide variety of spices; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Moderate earthy spices and heat on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, toast, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and big spice flavors; with a nice malt/spice balance with no cloying flavors after the finish and a moderate amount of lingering heat. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth and fairly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol was well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish other than the heat from the spices. Overall this was a very nice spiced stout. All around good complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and spice flavors; and quite smooth to sip on despite the moderate heat. A very enjoyable offering. (1,563 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with two finger ring at top. Very frothy head. Overpowering smell of spices. Smoother on the front end, very strong taste of cayenne and curry on the finish. I feel like this one should be left to age a little while; too much spice. Felt as though I were drinking strong rum. Definitely the most unique brew I have ever had. Glad to have tried it, probably would not willingly drink another. (409 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: extremely dark brown with what appears to be a moderate haze and some ruby highlights. Head is a thick finger of frothy tan foam with decent retention. I find it quite attractive!

Smell: whelp, it smells like a good curry. I would not have guessed this was a beer based on aroma alone. As an export stout -- it doesn't really apply. As an herbed/spiced beer, it's not too bad; it's also pretty much as-advertised. I'm genuinely ambivalent about this.

Taste: nicely stouty with plenty of that crazy curry. The coconut really comes through in the flavor, and overall this is an astonishingly balanced beer for all of the stuff going on in it. Is it a novelty? Maybe. But one I'd be happy to drink again.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: what a weird beer. Definitely in a category all its own. I love its flavors, though I'm not sure I love them in beer. Still, it's ten times more successful than most chile or otherwise oddly-spiced brews. (1,040 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Aromas of malty curry. Absolutely no other way to describe that! Vanilla curry that melts into a roasted oatiness. Moderate hops that are relatively low bitterness. Finish is thick with a mild coffee aftertaste. The curry is strong in this one and lives up to my expectations. (276 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with the new branded label--a picture of an octopus holding the various ingredients that contribute to the unique taste of this stout. There is some date information on the bottom of the label, but it seems to have been rubbed off, so I can't tell what vintage this is. Poured into a large glass stein with a textured exterior.

Appearance - Pours a dark chestnut brown color that hints towards almost black. Atop the body sits a healthy one finger head of dense frothy cocoa colored foam. Retention is good, with the head beginning to resemble the moon, with mini craters of pockmarks dotting the surface. Lacing is sparse and slightly sticky.

Smell - Mostly, there are the traditional profiles you'd expect from a stout, with roasty grain and charred toast as well as bittersweet notes of dark chocolate. However, there is a subtle presence from the curry spicing, reminiscent of garam masala with notes of cinnamon, clove and cardamom alongside the cumin and coconut that is added to the beer. I don't get much from the Kaffir lime leaves or cayenne, but I'm intrigued.

Taste - Surprisingly, a lot of the same curry elements come through in the taste, but in a subtle, complementary fashion to the base stout. Roasted malt and light char bitterness are enhanced by the notes of cinnamon, coconut and cumin from the spicing. Cayenne is present, but very faint at first--that said, it provides a cumulative but not at all overpowering heat as I continue to drink the beer. It's not the type of beer that you could just have anytime, but the infusion of traditional Indian spices is very well done here. Quite impressive.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate carbonation and a slightly sweet, spicy finish.

Overall, a very well done beer from Ballast Point. I've had stouts that infused Indian spices before without nearly as much success. This one manages to have a very forward presence from the spicing without it being overpowering or cloying. I would gladly drink this beer again if I was in the right mood. It made me want to go get some tikka masala for dinner. (2,120 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -20.7%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, nearly black with a large tan head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: sweet coconut and chilii pepper, curry powder, dark chocolate, coffee

T: sweet lime and oily coconut up front, all of a sudden upon swallowing an awful cayene pepper and dirty curry powder flavor overpowers all others

M: medium to full body, slightly slick

O: the beer is ok except for the taste, that part is rough (446 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It pours black with a light tan head. It reeks of curry making you less than excited to try the beer. Mouthfeel is good; very smooth and creamy. It's not a bad beer but the curry is very overpowering making it very hard to finish a full glass. However surprisingly the curry, cayenne and other spices compliment each other very well. In the end the curry was just a bit too much. I recommend this beer for uniqueness alone. Try it! (483 characters)

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- frothy, dark khaki-colored head with spots of pale white. Three fingers big. Pitch black body. Lace is thick and forms a film above the body.

S- Spice, lime, peppery heat attacks my nostrils. Sweet malt is there. Seems a bit subdued like a few months back (or weeks) the smell would have been ferocious. Some chocolate reminds me of a spicy latte.

T- The curry and lime immediately suggest a Thai broth. Chocolate makes a delayed entrance. Caramel too.

M- Aggressive spice heats the tongue and lime seems to egg on the conversation. It's got a mean bite. The beer eventually smooths out and the creaminess becomes more apparent, but the tongue will burn long after. There is a dryness to the beer that is hard to notice due to the heat.

O- I wish the different flavors blended together better rather than seeming to come in separate waves. The lime and spice are so dominant I hardly could detect much else initially. Still a fun, tasty and aggressive beer. I like when breweries concoct stuff like this. (1,012 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black with a one-finger tan head
S: You can smell the curry from a mile away. Very unique and enjoyable. A bit of cocoa/wheat but those are very subtle
T: Spicy, mostly curry but also cayenne. Spice steals first, second and third with just a bit of cocoa to round it out. Not a typical stout but unique and not bad at all
M: Medium-bodied, spicy
O: If anything this is a bit too much of a good thing. I love curry but this is nothing but. A bit of beer would make a nice balance. That being said, I really like it and given what it is it's a home run (596 characters)

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company