Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for this bottleshare.

Black with a 1cm light brown head. Medium retention and light lacing.

Straight earthy cumin, faints kaffir lime leaf and mildly spicy curry. Which I love.

Wow. Crazy different flavor. Alot going on Vanilla, kaffir lime, curry, cumin. Mild spice linger. The dark malt with the cumin creates a Kind of minty character as well. Very cool flavor.

Medium bodied. Mildly Spicy. Earthy with high carb.

Overall this is a very Cool amazing different kind of beer very well executed. Don't drink this if you Don't like Curry, Cumin, Thai and or Indian food because you won't like this. Its a great, fun beer. A must try if you like these kind of flavors! (702 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap at the ColLAboration beer fest at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy tan head that settles to a thin film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, coconut, curry spice, and lemongrass. Taste is very much the same with a spicy finish after each sip. Very tasty stuff. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good stout with some awesome Indian food elements added into it. A real surprise for me. (566 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know! (763 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I thought this was a pretty awesome beer, but judging by the other reviews I'm in the minority. To me, this tastes like what all those Christmas stouts brewed with 'spices' are supposed to taste like, with the uniqueness of the Indian spices really making it stand out above the other spice brewed stouts. (305 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

On-tap at Ballast Point's Old Grove location. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black with a finger of brown head, leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Aroma is incredible. Lots of very vibrant spices, picking up on cumin, cayenne pepper, also sweet curry and coconut. Excellent blend of spice, coconut/curry sweetness and chocolate.

T- Flavor follows pretty closely, but doesn't maintain the same level of curry and coconut awesomeness, although the cumin, cayenne and curry do come through pretty well. Has some nice chocolate flavor and lingering heat, not overly spicy though.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth feel, mild spicy burn but nothing severe.

O- An absolutely awesome chili/curry stout, I've had chili beers before, but nothing that a) also incorporated curry and coconut and b) did it very well. It was also very drinkable, I polished off an 8 oz pour with no problem at all. This beer is a real treat to drink. (917 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pours rich motor oil. Smell is of spice. Cumin and coconut. Taste is amazing. Curry and cayenne and coconut. Flavours meld well. Nice medium balanc on mouth feel. (164 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty. (422 characters)

1284th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
22oz

Thanks to GuruDel for this one.

App- A dark brown pour bordering on black with some garnet edges. A 2 finger semi brown head fell quickly and left no cling or lace behind.

Smell- Pure milk chocolate on the nose. No malty backbone just liquid diabetes. The coconut and the cumin come next. That was about it. Those flavors dominate the aromatics.

Taste- Chocolate, vanilla and coconut open this up and then oh wait hello mr. spice. My lips are now tingling from the curry and the cumin. Very well layered and balanced without the spices dominating. Alot going on in the last 1/2 of the bottle but works really well.

Mouth- A creamy medium body with a low/medium carbonation. Makes my lips tingles from the spices and the chocolate/coconut flavors remain.

Drink- Unique, layered, semi balanced. The coconut spice was a good combo for me. Very flavorful. (897 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last. (965 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It smells and tastes like authentic, Indian curry. It's amazing. A bold yet well-done beer. Worth a try, unless you are shy at heart. Pleasant spiciness that builds over time. (175 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%

3.5/4/4.25/4.5/4.25
I have never had anything quite like this. I was making curry for dinner tonight anyway, so I figured what an opportune time to crack this little bottle open. After experimenting with a couple of different 'unconventional' brews the past couple of days, my expectations were... well attenuated.
The pour provided not much overly exciting. Standard deep brown, with a decent sized creamy off white head. My aggressive pour left a decent head towering, but it settled in to a little film over the top in fairly short order.

Upon first inspection, I thought that my nose was overwhelmed by the stove. I smelled what I thought was the turmeric and curry paste and cumin. So I stepped outside. Still there, with a faint undertone of something creamy and roasty. Huh.

Taking a sip, my confused conclusion was confirmed. A firm foundation of a well craft roasty stout is augmented by the adjuncts listed on the label. The coconut adds a creamy smootheness to it, almost like a milk stout, while the lime gives it some sweet and some bitter, but what really stood out is how well incorporated the curry spices were, and how they seemed to weave seamlessly through the traditional stout characteristics. Finally, there is a very definite burn from the pepper, but not overwhelming. As with well spiced food, it accents the experience, highlighting certain characteristics without overpowering or distracting. Probably the most enjoyable incorporation of pepper heat into a beer that I can remember (there have been others that incorporate the FLAVOUR etc of peppers as well or better, but just looking at the heat aspect, this was probably the best fit I can recall)

Initially I wasn't sure what to expect of this, especially after sniffing it as I poured. This could VERY easily have been some bizarre and unintelligible mess ala some of the voodoo doughnut collabos, but damn Ballast Point nailed it with this one. Taking a completely left field combination and not only making it fit and play nice with itself, but to craft something so purely enjoyable... my hat's off. (2,089 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

wonderful to find this one hidden in the cooler. Appearance is opaque with minimal head. Aroma definately has curry and coconut. Decent lacing. Taste on the front is is slightly roasted moving quickly into cumin, curry with a very warming affect. Overall I am very impressed and look forward to drinking more in the winter. (323 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Puts on a reasonable bubble show that leaves a surprisingly thin head that fades rather quickly; plenty of lacing hangs around, though

Smell: The aromatics don't quite do the flavors justice as it is hard to pick out everything though there are distinct tones of cumin, cayenne and coconut along with a roasty character

Taste: Roast and chocolate tones make a brief appearance before the heat from the cayenne and the south Asian spices take over; the Madras curry powder, cumin and Kaffir lime are powerful adjuncts, though there is a hint of coconut in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; moderate heat lingers on the tastebuds

Overall: Received as an extra in a trade a few years back, I am glad I gave this one some time in the cellar for the flavors to blend (kind of like how a curry is better on the second day); I find this beer fascinating but I am also quite fond of food from south Asia (and this beer combines spices from both India and Thailand); at the same time I have to comment that I am disappointed by the commentary by some of the recent reviewers - I understand that this beer is not for everybody but gratuitous and sophomoric comments (both pro and con) are not what this site should be about

Thanks to a forgotten BA for sending this my way (1,319 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle. Decent starting head that settles quickly to a thin layer of bubbles. Good initial ring lace, spots thereafter. The color is dark, dark brown where no light passes even along the edge.

Notes of black cherry, a hot spice (cayenne?), and ginger. I also detect in small amounts some dark cocoa and chalk. Smells like an unsweetened ginger snap with hot peppers.

The flavor starts normally for an Export Stout. The swallow has a touch of berry sweetness, but the aftertaste is jalapeño pepper with a touch of chocolate. Overall, very complex and interesting. The body is neutral and the carbonation is a bit high for the style. (668 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A: into a snifter large, dark brown pour yields black body of beer with a finger of tan head

S: dark roasted malt and Indian-style spices

T: like a chile stout, throughout the dark malt's espresso-ish flavors, tons of smoky cumin, stinging cayenne, and curry; hints of sweet coconut and drying lime flavors

M: light and smooth but the stinging nettles of hot cayenne pepper will either delight you or puit you off, depending on your tastes for such things

O: as fas as I'm concerned, this is a chile stout - and I really like that kind of thing, but I also understand that others may not - the cayenne is very dominant, accented with smoke and lime, and underscored by the dark stout malts and their respective flavors. (723 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Best By 3/12/14. Picked this up on one of my journeys to California.

A: Poured a jet black color, no light can permeate the glass. Beer has an average viscosity. Half finger head that settled to a paper thin ring around the glass. Carbonation appears very fine.

S: Incredible. You inhale and get a refreshing breeze of coconut, lime, pepper and curry. As others have mentioned, if you breathe deeply, you will get some burn! Dark fruit, and caramel round out the nose.

T: Begins with some vanilla, caramel and builds into a collaboration of Indian spices, banana, and coconut. Ends with massive heat on the back end, your palate stings of cayenne, black pepper, and red curry. True to form! No hint of any alcohol flavor.

M: Body is a little on the thin side for a stout, this may be more of a chile ale style. Your mouth develops a burning sensation after awhile, which in my mind, is not a sensation I desire with beer.

O: I couldn't imagine how good with would go with some butter chicken or any curried meat. Never had a beer like this before, but what a masterpiece of building Indian/Thai qualities into a beer. (1,123 characters)

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Near black in color with a wispy, thin light brown head. Spots of lacing left down the glass.

One of the more interesting noses on a beer, period. The initial blast of authentic curry is surprising yet welcome, and it pairs well with sweet and earthy coconut and vanilla aromatics. There's a bit of traditional roast elements throughout, as well.

The flavors are evolving and changing, both in the glass as the beer warms, and simply throughout the sip and swallow. The curry is ever-present, though the coconut and vanilla, with a hint of citrus, make themselves more and more accessible as the beer warms. There's also a lingering, spicy heat that stays for a while in the back of the throat. Interesting and delicious.

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation.

After sampling this beer a couple times from the tap, and then eventually out of the bottle, it easily became one of my favorite new releases of 2011. That being said, I would always want help from a few friends when opening a 22oz. bottle. (1,061 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first full review, so give me a break already. :P

Bomber opened on 9/20/2013 and served in a St. Arnold's pint glass.

Appearance is dark and opaque, but not very viscous. Light khaki head, less than a finger, that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is not as strong as I'd heard it might be. Not much giving away the unbridled spicefest within.

Taste is quite complex, running in phases like some kind of magical Willy Wonka candy. The spiciness catches you by surprise, then burns, along with lime, and then... coconut? VERY interesting. Best execution of coconut in a beer that I've had. Not subtle, but not displeasurable, either.

Mouthfeel is a little thin (but then again, I seek out things like Oatmeal Yeti, which you need a fork to drink). Alcohol is there and will bruise you harder than you would think for 7.00% ABV, but is well-hidden by the chile.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, and would get it again just to foster this kind of freakiness among brewers. Not scary or off-putting at all. I think it would go quite well with sushi or Chinese takeaway. (1,090 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with the new branded label--a picture of an octopus holding the various ingredients that contribute to the unique taste of this stout. There is some date information on the bottom of the label, but it seems to have been rubbed off, so I can't tell what vintage this is. Poured into a large glass stein with a textured exterior.

Appearance - Pours a dark chestnut brown color that hints towards almost black. Atop the body sits a healthy one finger head of dense frothy cocoa colored foam. Retention is good, with the head beginning to resemble the moon, with mini craters of pockmarks dotting the surface. Lacing is sparse and slightly sticky.

Smell - Mostly, there are the traditional profiles you'd expect from a stout, with roasty grain and charred toast as well as bittersweet notes of dark chocolate. However, there is a subtle presence from the curry spicing, reminiscent of garam masala with notes of cinnamon, clove and cardamom alongside the cumin and coconut that is added to the beer. I don't get much from the Kaffir lime leaves or cayenne, but I'm intrigued.

Taste - Surprisingly, a lot of the same curry elements come through in the taste, but in a subtle, complementary fashion to the base stout. Roasted malt and light char bitterness are enhanced by the notes of cinnamon, coconut and cumin from the spicing. Cayenne is present, but very faint at first--that said, it provides a cumulative but not at all overpowering heat as I continue to drink the beer. It's not the type of beer that you could just have anytime, but the infusion of traditional Indian spices is very well done here. Quite impressive.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate carbonation and a slightly sweet, spicy finish.

Overall, a very well done beer from Ballast Point. I've had stouts that infused Indian spices before without nearly as much success. This one manages to have a very forward presence from the spicing without it being overpowering or cloying. I would gladly drink this beer again if I was in the right mood. It made me want to go get some tikka masala for dinner. (2,120 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well it's interesting to say at least. A stout by color and maybe malts, but I would say the body was a bit more like a dark ale. The spices of cinnamon and curry dominate the flavor profile. There is a root beer/licorice quality that develops as the beer warms. Carbonation is low. I think that it is worth a try as it is truly a unique brew. (343 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Milky black, which is to say that it's opaque. Just a small ring of foam. I guess it doesn't want to sit too well in a pint glass. Even the ring eventually disappears. Looks like flat cola now.

Holy shit. That's a hell of a nose. Let me give this a shot. Other than the fact that it smells like a sweet chicken curry dish, I'm gonna try to break it down. First off... okay, I'm just going to name what comes to mind in descending order. Cumin, lemongrass, lime, coconut, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coriander, dark roasty malts, chocolate, nutmeg, and a savory staleness to finish it off. No hops, just a dull earthiness. Over-the-top umami. Love the Kaffir lime addition. Totally unreal nose. One of the most impressive noses on a beer that I've ever experienced. Do you think they nailed it???

First sip... ... ...

I'm a little speechless...

Taste follows the nose, but with the heat added. Curry powder, hot chili powder, cumin, sweet lime, vanilla, cinnamon, lemongrass, coconut water, chocolate mole, minerally roast grain, nutmeg and mulling spices, dried banana, musty earthiness, and cayenne pepper. Looking for a complex beer? Ha! This one is ree-dic. A nice level 6 or 7 spice, according to a cook at a Thai restaurant. Export Stout? Sure! Whatever you say! I swear, I'd like to eat this beer for dinner three or four times a month. I think this tastes great enough to give it a 4.5.

Thin. The flavors carry out better that way, perhaps. Still, I'd like a little more body than a flaccid and semi-flat watery juice beer. I guess with a recipe like this, you don't need to pay attention to all the details? Still, it suffers here.

I'm starting to second-guess what I look for in an Export Stout. Maybe they should all taste like authentic Indian curry and have a bite that stings. Spicy? I like. Savory? I like. This is a beer that I need to stock up (at least, in this household). My girlfriend calls this the best beer she has EVER had. I disagree, but it might not be too far off. I'm a sucker. Ballast Point nailed it and no one can take that away from them. You're a bold-faced liar if you think this could've been much better. Do you like Indian food? Do you crave the strange and the exotic? C'mon now folks, not much noticeable booze and the idea becomes fruition. Invent a style for a beer like this, and it's a record that will never be broken. So good. (2,374 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber. (700 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Clear black colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smell is sweet with a strong chocolate and coconut aroma with a little mint to it. Little bit of caramel only existence of hop is the mint scent.

Starts off sweet with a lot of chocolate and strong taste of cinnamon.and cardamom? What the hell is in this? Reading the label "Madras Curry and lime leaf" well that is different! I can taste the lime and the curry but that coconut really stands out. This has a little burn to it.

Mouthfeel is thick.

This a tasty and unique beer and well worth the effort to taste. (574 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Madras curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf Stout. This is the entry for the AHA Pro-Am Competition brewed by Colby Chandler and Alex Tweet. Congrats on this Alex (RIP checkii). I think this is also Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th Anniversary beer

Four ounces enjoyed at Homebrew Mart.

A: Dark brown with a ruby tinge and a frothy beige head.

S: Toasted coconut is aromatic, with faint cayenne notes and a little chocolate. The coconut and curry combination is unusual, but it smells great, and the cumin is a nice addition. The kaffir is evident as the beer warms. The coconut profile is fantastic.

T: Coconut and curry with an upper low level of cayenne heat and nice cayenne flavor. Chocolate blends with lime and cumin as the pepper heat fades in and out.

M: Lower full bodied with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and smooth, with an insistent pepper heat.

Overall: Awesome nose and really interesting all around. Four ounces was enough for me as the flavors are overwhelming after a while. (1,036 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Reviewed from notes. Appearance is a dark opaque brown, not quite black. Brown head forms and retains nicely. The smell is incredibly unique: lots of curry and lime come through up front with some coconut and spice to follow. The state is more spice forward and starts with some ancho chili followed by a dark chocolate quality. The finish features a touch of licorice. Quite the journey of flavored here. The body is on the thin side with medium carbonation. This was an ambitious project by Ballast Point and I think they did a good job at bringing together so many odd flavor in a brew. This would pair nicely with Pad Thai. (627 characters)

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company