Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 257 | Hads: 1,074
2.99/5  rDev -21.1%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, nearly black with a large tan head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: sweet coconut and chilii pepper, curry powder, dark chocolate, coffee

T: sweet lime and oily coconut up front, all of a sudden upon swallowing an awful cayene pepper and dirty curry powder flavor overpowers all others

M: medium to full body, slightly slick

O: the beer is ok except for the taste, that part is rough

Very interesting idea...best by 02JAN13

Pours black with a edge and some etch of mocha foam. Smells like curry mix in the spice jar still - profoundly strong. Oddly, the lime comes through and actually as it warms I think the cumin is what may put this over the edge for appreciation. I love curry, and I love cumin, but a little too much here. Flavor is like biting into a cumin, kaffir, massamun curry ball with a bit of cocoa and coffee. I can't stress this enough: THE BEER NEEDS TO WARM UP SUBSTANTIALLY. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a relatively dry finish.

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, I guess this was interesting. Like drinking a bottle of curry mixed with stout. I mean, this clearly wasn't made for beer drinkers but for people who are just generally adventurous with their palates. Go ahead and try it, it's definitely different, but I hesitate to even call it beer and if you're a beer drinker looking for a delicious beer, this ain't it.

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It pours black with a light tan head. It reeks of curry making you less than excited to try the beer. Mouthfeel is good; very smooth and creamy. It's not a bad beer but the curry is very overpowering making it very hard to finish a full glass. However surprisingly the curry, cayenne and other spices compliment each other very well. In the end the curry was just a bit too much. I recommend this beer for uniqueness alone. Try it!

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours nearly pitch black in color and appears very still. A small, mocha colored head quickly fades to a thin ring across the top. Minimal spotted lacing is left behind.

S: A blast of curry up front in the aroma. If you can get past the intensity of the curry, there are hints of spicy peppers, lime citrus and a bit of coconut. But overall, the curry dominates.

T: The taste is much more balanced than the aroma. The curry is still very prevalent, but it tames down and allows the other flavors to come though. Similarly as before, these flavors contain cayenne, lime, and coconut.

M: Medium bodied with a still feel. The intense spices in the taste coat the palate and leave a lingering spicy taste.

O: I enjoy experimentation and unique spins on styles as much as the next person, but this was a little too much for me. The dominance of the curry made this one difficult to enjoy, though I was really looking forward to it. Doubt I'll try it again, but I commend Ballast Point for trying something new and unique.

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%

From 12/18/11 notes. This one was sent to me from Nuggamooch and shared with some friends. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coconut, cumin, spices, roasted malts, and toasted malts. Some light chocolate as well. Very odd mix; doesn't really do it for me.

t - Tastes strongly of curry, coconut, lime, spices, cumin, pepper, roasted malts, toasted malts, and cream. Takes like taco cookies.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a very interesting stout. Wasn't necessarily bad, but a very weird and interesting mix that didn't do it for me. Some people really liked it as it tastes a lot like Thai style Coconut Curry, but that isn't what I really would want in a beer, and I think we all found it tough to drink 5 oz.'s. Not something I'd seek out again.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Purchased a bomber of this beer after sampling it at the GABF.

Pours black with a finger off mocha foam that fades away without lacing. Aroma smells like... curry and lime. So strange. I like Indian food, but honestly this doesn't smell appetizing.

First sip tastes... like curry and lime. Minimal residual sweetness. It tastes like curry. I really don't know what else to say about it.

This is a really hard beer to review. I really like the fact that it is so unique, but when it comes down to the question of would I buy (or even drink) this again... probably not.

3.24/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours very dark with a thick caramel head. Smells are curry, coconut and lots of other spices. Taste was very disappointing, they are trying to do too much and the curry overpowers everything. Very strong aftertaste. Overall not what I would expect from Ballast Point, they are usually one of my go to brewers.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

I'm not sure how to rate this beer. It's really unique. Had on draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy.

Smells like curry.
Tastes like liquid curry sauce with a side of stout. It's well done but I really felt like I was eating a curry dish. Very strange beer drinking experience indeed.

3.26/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: pours a black color with a 2" head that slowly falls.

Smell: roasted malts and a strong curry aroma rises from the glass.

Taste: roasted malts, cumin, cayenne, and a load of curry flavor. The spices are a bit overpowering here as a late bite really hits the throat hard. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Light crispness at the start, smooth and dry with a strong spicy kick at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: this beer was a bit too spicy and the curry and cayenne is too up front here. A small glass is all you can have in a single session.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from SeaOfShells (thanks Travis!). No apparent bottling date but I've had it in the fridge for several months and this has an outdated label. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cola black/ brown with an eighth finger sandy head.

Smells of curry and Indian spice.

Whoa damn. They are not remotely kidding about the curry. Green curry, Thai coconut soup, peppery heat and light roast coffee. Very vivid flavors.

Fairly light body with moderate carbonation.

A very different beer. It was off-putting at first but once I threw out expectations and went along for the ride it really wasn't bad. Truly unique.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off by stating that this Ballast Point does exactly what they intended to do with this beer, whether or not that is a good thing is certainly up to some debate. I purchased the bottle on a whim and didn't drink for probably a good month. I poured the bottle into a tulip glass and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it warm up slightly and hopefully open up all of the flavors that made it into the bottle. The smell tells me what I'm about to taste, but not in a way that was very appetizing. It smelled alot like walking into a Indian restaurant lots of curry and spices, a little bit of sweetness, not really how i want my beer to smell. Taste was better the curry, cumin, coconut, and the lime all came through. The best part of the flavors were the balance they complemented each other just like a great food dish. The saving grace was the cayenne though, the heat was just strong enough to take the beer to another level and given some depth. After awhile though as well constructed as it was the novelty wore off and i found myself not wanting to finish it. Overall excellent execution and worth a try but at the end of the day a beer that tastes very much like an Indian dish isn't one I'm going to keep coming back to.

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:

A: Your typical black/brown stout appearance. Decent head, lacing is good.

S: Smells like a mix between a chipotle burrito and a chocolate bar. This should be interesting.

T: Weird flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, spicy curry. Somehow, it works ok. I wouldn't drink this fast, however. Nor would I drink this with any spicy food.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Burns the tongue a little.

O: I can sum up this beer in a single word: bizarre.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to sdhomebrewer for sending this one.

Pours smooth and black into a tulip, yielding about a finger of tan head. This fades slowly, leaving a little lacing.

Smells spicy and a little sweet, unlike any beer I've ever encountered. Curry definitely comes through, along with some lime.

The taste starts out like any stout, dark and malty, but quickly gives way to a flurry of other flavors. The lime shows up, then a variety of curry spices, and the finish distinctly peppery.

Medium to full-bodied, with a little more carbonation than I expected. The ABV is absolutely undetectable with all of the complex flavors going on.

I'm happy to have had a chance to try this one, but I would not seek it out again.

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Interesting experience. The curry stays in the back and warms the stomach and the back of the throat. Chocolate and coconut forward in flavor with the spiciness of the curry taking the backseat and lingering on the finish. Nose starts like a brown ale with hints of cayenne spiciness with chocolate notes in the back. Glad I got to try it. Some of the reviews on here are completely mislead and must be trolling, not abrasive at all in flavor or smell in spite of the ingredients.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare

Look: Black and totally opaque with a 1/2 inch tan head with just ok retention

Smell: Cumin and coconut

Taste: Minty, cumin, spicy curry and just a little touch of lime and vanilla. Interesting

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation with just a bit of heat

Overall: Interesting is the only way I can describe this beer. If you like indian food you will like this beer but it seems to me to be a bit of a strech for a beer.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy by 01/02/13. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Ballast Point in San Diego and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given the brewery.

Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Served straight from the fridge.

Paired with salted hard pretzels.

A: Pours a one finger head of light tan colour, nice cream and thickness, and very good retention, especially considering the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Dark malts, caramel, artificial lime, and earthy spices. An average strength aroma. Appealing albeit strange for the style.

T: Dark malts, earthy notes, caramel, light curry, and a bit of lime. Has a little light heat. Not particularly well balanced, but it's certainly experimental and bold. I get some spiciness in the burp. It's interesting, but far from ideal. Build is strange. No chocolate, yeast, or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth, wet, a bit overcarbonated. Too thick for its lack of diverse flavours. Lacks the depth needed to justify such a thick consistency. Fairly good palate presence. A bit creamy - a nice touch.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable for its well-hidden high ABV, but nevertheless disappointing. I expect more from Ballast Point. I doubt I'd get it again, but it's a nice little export stout. The spice is very well handled.

High B-

22 ounce bomber poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Big coconut lots of spicy herbs, anise, lots going on, no roasted malt characters, really aromatic and complex, a lot aromas.

A: Black with a tan head, the head dissipated fairly quickly, has a nice color.

T: Coconut, anise, spicy herbs, getting some chili, dry, the spice lingers, no roasted malts.

M: Lots of carbonation, medium body, dry finish on the palate.

O: There's just too much going on for me with this beer, I love stouts, but there so much that I think it takes away from the stout characteristics. I think all the added flavors overwhelm what should be the main characteristics, the stout flavors, I love the chili and I noticed that as the beer warms the chili is more apparent, but all the other flavors are just too much.

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

The clerk at Table & Vine convinced me to get this one over some other beer (I have forgotten which) by saying it actually tastes like Indian food. I very much enjoy Indian food, so let's see if he was right...

A - I was so intrigued by the spices brewed with this beer, I hadn't realized it was a stout. The pour let me know otherwise. The dark brew wells up a half finger of chocolate milk colored frothy head which fades almost immediately

S - they weren't kidding. the Indian spices are nearly overwhelming, the cumin especially. The lime leaf and the curry are also noticeable. One of the most powerful noses on a beer I've experienced. Not sure how appetizing it is.

T - Yup, he wasn't right. If you don't like Indian food, you probably won't like this beer. Conversely, if you like this beer, go try Indian food! The spices are intense. But good intense, they don't drown out the stout, but they are a challenge. Its like a good hot sauce; a good hot sauce is challengingly hot, but doesn't lose its flavor to blind heat. This beer doesn't lose its beer soul, but is a challenge to enjoy since the spices are so big.

M&D&O - definitely a challenge (have I said that this beer is a challenge), this spices will turn off a lot of people. I enjoy it, its complex, layered, and brewed with quality. Nice job BP.
Which leads to a weird score, the overall is higher than it should seem because what makes this beer great isn't really accounted for in the four metrics given.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Initially saw "Limited release... Stout ... Ballast Point" ... Poured a nice dark looking stout ...Read the fine print after the first sip when I caught coconut, hot pepper, and other flavors i have yet to define...Didn't see that coming. (Note to self ..read the label ) The coconut is a touch stronger than the Koko Brown from Kona , the hot pepper has a zip to it. Overall not bad, very interesting, but once may be enough. As with other hot peeper brews, 12 oz is interesting, 22 is a little much. (and I love spicy foods)

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, Calif., on Dec. 27, 2012
Price: $7.99
Misc.: N/A

Poured a pitch black color with just over one finger of tan head that dissipated almost right away. Lots of random spots on the sides of the glass, well below average retention on the top.

Smelled unlike anything I’ve had before. Got crayons, yes, crayons first. Coconut followed, along with butter and curry.

All I can say about the taste is, “wow!” Like the smell, unlike anything I’ve had before. Got the coconut and crayon taste first, then got ripped with curry and a boat load of spices, including a lingering hot one at the end. I don’t know Indian food (besides curry), but there had to be tons of Indian notes. Spicy, spicy.

Full-to-medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, spicy finish.

This was my first foreign export style beer. Although I don’t like Indian food (to me that was what this beer was all about), this was a very interesting beer and something nice to try.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company