Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Weirdest beer I've had yet. Glad I tried it once. Don't know if i can finish the bomber. I do wish i would have split it with a couple of other adventurous peeps.An experience for sure. My tummy hurts...No regrats.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Love this beer. To this day, this is the only beer I have drank, and threw up as the first beer of the night because I drank it too fast like an idiot. Be forewarned, this is a true sipping beer, to be drank with food. It is spicy, and complex. Keep that in mind, and you will get along great with this one-of-a-kind brew!

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

2.95/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%

This is a curry stout. If that thought disgusts you, you probably shouldn't buy, drink or rate this beer. I couldn't imagine having this without food to stand up to it, but it went well with pulled pork. It's hard to imagine a better take on a "curry stout." Trust your instincts on this one. If you think you might hate it, you'll probably hate it. If a curry stout is in your comfort zone, check it out.

4.81/5  rDev +30.4%

Who would have thought? This beer is fantastically done. Very impressed.

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Really damn hot, grab a glass of Delirium to go with.

3.34/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, dark brown--nearly opaque black in appearance; nice foamy head. Intense aroma of peppermint and mint; bitter chocolate; curry. Flavor hammers home the curry and hot, spicy character; Amaretto and hazelnuts; vanilla. Medium body, leaning towards the heavy side of things.

Now, I'm digging the initial curry aroma...and after a sip--wow! Peppery, high octane curry heat!! This most definitely is a love it/hate it type of beer. Personally, I love chile beers and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley. There's nothing subtle about this beast, yet it's entirely approachable if you enjoy a good, spicy, heat-generating beverage. Unique and approachable for those with an open-mind...

4.06/5  rDev +10%

3.8/5  rDev +3%

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't think of a beer that is more polarizing than this one. People really love it or totally hate it.

I split the 22 oz bottle with my sister in law (who loves Indian food). She was not able to finish it and it became a drain poor. She did comment that it tasted a lot better than it smelled.

As for me, the beer smelled exactly how I picture a NYC cab driver's seat to smell after working an 18 hour shift. The curry really overpowers the beer but you also get hints of coconut.

The taste is actually pretty good if you can get past the smell. Its got a nice amount of heat going down and overall its well done. However, I think 8-10 oz is as much as I could take of this sipper.

I grabbed it off the shelf because it sounds crazy and was something I was glad to try. I wouldn't seek it out again.

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very complex and delicious beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.64/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Definitely nailed what they were going for. lots of curry / Indian spices on the nose and palate.

1.36/5  rDev -63.1%

I should have read reviews before buying this. I'm clearly in the group of people who shouldn't have bought this. Maybe not the worst beer I've ever had but it's not a concoction I'll ever have again. Straight curry in my opinion.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Puts on a reasonable bubble show that leaves a surprisingly thin head that fades rather quickly; plenty of lacing hangs around, though

Smell: The aromatics don't quite do the flavors justice as it is hard to pick out everything though there are distinct tones of cumin, cayenne and coconut along with a roasty character

Taste: Roast and chocolate tones make a brief appearance before the heat from the cayenne and the south Asian spices take over; the Madras curry powder, cumin and Kaffir lime are powerful adjuncts, though there is a hint of coconut in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; moderate heat lingers on the tastebuds

Overall: Received as an extra in a trade a few years back, I am glad I gave this one some time in the cellar for the flavors to blend (kind of like how a curry is better on the second day); I find this beer fascinating but I am also quite fond of food from south Asia (and this beer combines spices from both India and Thailand); at the same time I have to comment that I am disappointed by the commentary by some of the recent reviewers - I understand that this beer is not for everybody but gratuitous and sophomoric comments (both pro and con) are not what this site should be about

Thanks to a forgotten BA for sending this my way

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company