Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,070
3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Looks like a dark beer. Yeah, dark brown, like a soft siesta. Head is beige, nice-looking, like a woman. This head is a woman.

Smell is spice-gasmic. Mildly tickles you with roast, then takes you on a cable car, presenting you with anise and clovey vistas. And nothing else.

Taste has a similar note, but a touch of roast, before it forays into spice territory, and what a Leroy Jenkinsian foray! Pepper, even chilli there, plus anise, then finish is dry, with some vanilla pods and odd herbal pepper notes as well. It is a decidedly odd chap, but one I decidedly like.

Foamy, really odd spicy notes on the back. Weird.

You meet this chap on the street. He reads you some new wave beat poetry. It's avant-garde. It's weird. I can't help but like him though. He's definitely his own beer.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 4/21/2014. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 2 finger fairly dense tan head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and the wide variety of spices; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, toast, roasted malt, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness. Moderate earthy spices and heat on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, toast, vanilla, coconut, cumin, cinnamon, clove, peppercorn, cardamom, cayenne, lime, herbal, and toast/herbal earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and big spice flavors; with a nice malt/spice balance with no cloying flavors after the finish and a moderate amount of lingering heat. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth and fairly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol was well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish other than the heat from the spices. Overall this was a very nice spiced stout. All around good complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and spice flavors; and quite smooth to sip on despite the moderate heat. A very enjoyable offering.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with two finger ring at top. Very frothy head. Overpowering smell of spices. Smoother on the front end, very strong taste of cayenne and curry on the finish. I feel like this one should be left to age a little while; too much spice. Felt as though I were drinking strong rum. Definitely the most unique brew I have ever had. Glad to have tried it, probably would not willingly drink another.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: extremely dark brown with what appears to be a moderate haze and some ruby highlights. Head is a thick finger of frothy tan foam with decent retention. I find it quite attractive!

Smell: whelp, it smells like a good curry. I would not have guessed this was a beer based on aroma alone. As an export stout -- it doesn't really apply. As an herbed/spiced beer, it's not too bad; it's also pretty much as-advertised. I'm genuinely ambivalent about this.

Taste: nicely stouty with plenty of that crazy curry. The coconut really comes through in the flavor, and overall this is an astonishingly balanced beer for all of the stuff going on in it. Is it a novelty? Maybe. But one I'd be happy to drink again.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: what a weird beer. Definitely in a category all its own. I love its flavors, though I'm not sure I love them in beer. Still, it's ten times more successful than most chile or otherwise oddly-spiced brews.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Aromas of malty curry. Absolutely no other way to describe that! Vanilla curry that melts into a roasted oatiness. Moderate hops that are relatively low bitterness. Finish is thick with a mild coffee aftertaste. The curry is strong in this one and lives up to my expectations.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with the new branded label--a picture of an octopus holding the various ingredients that contribute to the unique taste of this stout. There is some date information on the bottom of the label, but it seems to have been rubbed off, so I can't tell what vintage this is. Poured into a large glass stein with a textured exterior.

Appearance - Pours a dark chestnut brown color that hints towards almost black. Atop the body sits a healthy one finger head of dense frothy cocoa colored foam. Retention is good, with the head beginning to resemble the moon, with mini craters of pockmarks dotting the surface. Lacing is sparse and slightly sticky.

Smell - Mostly, there are the traditional profiles you'd expect from a stout, with roasty grain and charred toast as well as bittersweet notes of dark chocolate. However, there is a subtle presence from the curry spicing, reminiscent of garam masala with notes of cinnamon, clove and cardamom alongside the cumin and coconut that is added to the beer. I don't get much from the Kaffir lime leaves or cayenne, but I'm intrigued.

Taste - Surprisingly, a lot of the same curry elements come through in the taste, but in a subtle, complementary fashion to the base stout. Roasted malt and light char bitterness are enhanced by the notes of cinnamon, coconut and cumin from the spicing. Cayenne is present, but very faint at first--that said, it provides a cumulative but not at all overpowering heat as I continue to drink the beer. It's not the type of beer that you could just have anytime, but the infusion of traditional Indian spices is very well done here. Quite impressive.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate carbonation and a slightly sweet, spicy finish.

Overall, a very well done beer from Ballast Point. I've had stouts that infused Indian spices before without nearly as much success. This one manages to have a very forward presence from the spicing without it being overpowering or cloying. I would gladly drink this beer again if I was in the right mood. It made me want to go get some tikka masala for dinner.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, nearly black with a large tan head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: sweet coconut and chilii pepper, curry powder, dark chocolate, coffee

T: sweet lime and oily coconut up front, all of a sudden upon swallowing an awful cayene pepper and dirty curry powder flavor overpowers all others

M: medium to full body, slightly slick

O: the beer is ok except for the taste, that part is rough

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It pours black with a light tan head. It reeks of curry making you less than excited to try the beer. Mouthfeel is good; very smooth and creamy. It's not a bad beer but the curry is very overpowering making it very hard to finish a full glass. However surprisingly the curry, cayenne and other spices compliment each other very well. In the end the curry was just a bit too much. I recommend this beer for uniqueness alone. Try it!

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- frothy, dark khaki-colored head with spots of pale white. Three fingers big. Pitch black body. Lace is thick and forms a film above the body.

S- Spice, lime, peppery heat attacks my nostrils. Sweet malt is there. Seems a bit subdued like a few months back (or weeks) the smell would have been ferocious. Some chocolate reminds me of a spicy latte.

T- The curry and lime immediately suggest a Thai broth. Chocolate makes a delayed entrance. Caramel too.

M- Aggressive spice heats the tongue and lime seems to egg on the conversation. It's got a mean bite. The beer eventually smooths out and the creaminess becomes more apparent, but the tongue will burn long after. There is a dryness to the beer that is hard to notice due to the heat.

O- I wish the different flavors blended together better rather than seeming to come in separate waves. The lime and spice are so dominant I hardly could detect much else initially. Still a fun, tasty and aggressive beer. I like when breweries concoct stuff like this.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black with a one-finger tan head
S: You can smell the curry from a mile away. Very unique and enjoyable. A bit of cocoa/wheat but those are very subtle
T: Spicy, mostly curry but also cayenne. Spice steals first, second and third with just a bit of cocoa to round it out. Not a typical stout but unique and not bad at all
M: Medium-bodied, spicy
O: If anything this is a bit too much of a good thing. I love curry but this is nothing but. A bit of beer would make a nice balance. That being said, I really like it and given what it is it's a home run

3.94/5  rDev +4%

22oz bottle at 41 F split between a pair of big snifters. 021 D-1 0524 is the bottle code.

Pours dark, with a small beige head, lumpy and slick looking. Opaque, lots of fine carbonation. Smells are limited somewhat by my own congestion, sadly, but I get coffee and chocolate, and a little smoke.

Taste is vanilla, peppery / curry is quite noticeable. Makes me think of brown curry dishes I've had in Japan many times. Not overpowering, just an interesting accent.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, pleasant. Overall, quite tasty. I like it.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Appropriately dark with fluffy, blocky cream head.

S - Curry powder, maybe a hint of lime zest. Smells a little sweet, but the curry powder really overpowers the odours you'd expect to get from a stout.

T - Roasted malt flavours mix with curry powder up front, cayenne powder and a tiny hint of chocolatey sweetness. It's spicy and bitter and you can definitely taste the cumin. The coconut and lime are pretty much not there.

M - Nothing to complain about here. It's actually pretty good.

O - If you really like curry or even just spicy things in general you ought to try this. It's a pretty interesting experience, although ultimately this level of curry and spice is not a flavour profile I'm really looking for in a beer. Having said that, for what it is, it is pretty well executed.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into snifters.
I feel bad even reviewing this beer as I was clearly not the right consumer for this beer.
I love Ballast Point offerings and I like a wide variety of beers. But this beer was too much for me. I was expecting a stout with some mild Indian flavor notes. Instead it was like drinking a spicy curry Indian dinner. All of the flavors as indicated on the label were there. And to me it was crafted successfully by the brewers at Ballast Point. But it was too much for me. The curry produced too much of a burn for my palate. The complexity of the curry, coconut, lime were all there, but at the end of the day, it's not what I want to drink in a beer. Others may like this beer and I don't want to trash the beer either. My palate just wasn't right for this beer.

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Whoa Nelly! I was intrigued by this beer, with the curry notes in the aroma, and the hint of coconut milk, and then I actually tasted it- like a plateful of curry- strong curry. So strongly flavored that the curry just dominates everything. I thought this might be pleasant with food, but really, it's so highly spiced that I can't see it complementing anything other than white rice. Now mind you, the flavors aren't bad, or artificial, just a bit too much. It's certainly interesting, and could actually be a very good beer if it were reined in a bit.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this on tap at 3 Wise Monks.
Got a taste of this as it sounded crazy interesting. At first, it was so strange that I was a bit apprehensive and did not think I could drink an entire pint. But once I did I found myself going back for more. Smell is dominated by curry along with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. Taste is so unique, curry again, cocoa, a mild roasted coffee and some heat that does not overwhelm in the finish. The base beer does not drink at all like a foreign stout. It is smooth and slightly malty. So well balanced in flavors. Unfortunately, the coconut and kaffir leaf are almost non-existant. Still an awesome offering by ballast point!

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this because of my previous experience with Ballast. Didn't read the label until I poured it and smelled the curry. Pours like a typical stout, with more of a foamy than creamy head. Leaves a cap and some lacing.

Smell is straight curry. In a good way. My first whiff reminded me of fresh pencil shavings, actually. Definitely some foreign style to this.

The flavors of the curry and earthiness of the cumin come out nicely, with some creamy coconut in the backend, but man is this spicy. I've had a few spicy beers and this one takes the cake. I much prefer my spice on the flavor profile, like what Chipotle gives you, Cayenne is just Cayenne. I'm not getting much lime.

Mouthfeel is on point for high ABV stout, but it's killed by the throat burn.

Overall a good beer, but the Stout just gets crushed by the spiciness.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a dark brown with a medium head that vanishes. nose; dry curry and cumin, burnt toast & baker's chocolate. taste; dark malt, earthy hops, cumin, cocoa, lime & light cayenne. aftertaste is light cayenne heat and very faint coconut. the spice set certainly is prominent in the nose and taste. medium+ carbonation and slightly heavy mouthfeel. i wish the coconut was more pronounced, but even so, this is a very interesting "one & done" indian spice stout.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 into pint drank right before best after 5/13' reviewed from memory

Looks good, like all the stout beers I've had from B.P. Good head from an aggressive poor, burnt red on the rim.

Whoo!! In my face spice and cocoanut, really fun curry and lime brings a whole exotic flavor profile. I'm really diggn this.

Damn. This is pretty nice until my throat catches fire.

Good carb. Slick and creamy. With a little too much heat, IMO.

I really enjoy all the dark offerings I've had the pleasure to enjoy from Ballast, this one not so much. I think I'm just not a spicy/hot beer fan. Atleast not yet.

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours almost pitch black, with cola colored head, almost non existent/low carb smoothness.

S: Instantly, curry. Upon further inspection, definitely cumin, coconut, and hint of the kaffir..but curry is the dominant note. I couldn't smell the chocolate.

T: Taste is way more balanced. I was expecting a wash of curry, instead got a spicy, even flavor with hints of curry. The dominant taste was definitely the chili powder, followed by the curry, and once it warms up a bit...almost overly sweet coconut. The chocolate doesnt hit until the very end, and I prefer the end notes to the initial sip.

M: Light bodied, but seems to almost thicken to a medium or heavy feel as it warms. Strange. The chili was just enough kick and actually had me sweating a bit, but was a pleasant warmth, not at all uncomfortable or sinus clearing.

O: The was definitely a surprise, a pleasant one. Keep an open mind...and dont watch reviews...I was TERRIFIED before cracking it. I would definitely buy/drink this again, and would especially if I found it on tap. Would have prefered less coconut sweetness, but it isnt offensive. Of all notes, I was surprised that I LOVED the chili kick (generally not a spicy/hot fan)Keep in mind this is a sipping beer, and not at all sessionable. I wouldve prefered it in a regular 12oz, as the bomber was too much between the boyf and I. Couldnt finish it.

On tap at the Bier Stein.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, as I pick up chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and a hint of spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but I was completely surprised my the amount of heat in the finish. While I think it's kind of fun, the chili heat is almost too much for me (and I tend to like hot and spicey food), and so it's pretty hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot of this. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but not at all heavy, with a long, heat infused finish.

An interesting beer, for sure, but again, it's hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot o this stuff.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off by stating that this Ballast Point does exactly what they intended to do with this beer, whether or not that is a good thing is certainly up to some debate. I purchased the bottle on a whim and didn't drink for probably a good month. I poured the bottle into a tulip glass and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it warm up slightly and hopefully open up all of the flavors that made it into the bottle. The smell tells me what I'm about to taste, but not in a way that was very appetizing. It smelled alot like walking into a Indian restaurant lots of curry and spices, a little bit of sweetness, not really how i want my beer to smell. Taste was better the curry, cumin, coconut, and the lime all came through. The best part of the flavors were the balance they complemented each other just like a great food dish. The saving grace was the cayenne though, the heat was just strong enough to take the beer to another level and given some depth. After awhile though as well constructed as it was the novelty wore off and i found myself not wanting to finish it. Overall excellent execution and worth a try but at the end of the day a beer that tastes very much like an Indian dish isn't one I'm going to keep coming back to.

3.64/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours near black, just liquid, no head, little evidence of carbonation.
Smells pleasant enough. Basil immediately, and an exotic spice aroma in a sense that if licorice was exotic. But mostly a minty basil. In fact the smell is exactly like my favorite flavor of gelato: coconut basil.
Wow. Tasting this. Interesting as the flavor resembles the nice aroma, but what a bite! Spicy swallowing this ale. Truly a spicy beer, and the first time I've tasted a brew anything like this. I'm not sure I like this too much, but I certainly appreciate its use of foreign/unorthodox-in-beer ingredients, as well as the alien peppery, coconut-basil-curryish flavor it imparts.
Carbonation seems weak, yet upon swallowing each sip, the sting of this can make you think otherwise.
I understand BP has also made this in a 9% run; I wonder if I'd have dug it more. As for this take, I wouldn't say it's something I'd seek out again. However, I give it credit for being completely unlike any other beer I've ever tried. I enjoyed it just enough.

3.56/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bottle stating limited release with a number of 13,339 on it

A - Pitch black, with gold sediment specs floating on top and throughout the beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Dark grain and loads of Indian spices. Hot!

T - A dry stout up front, but the huge amount of spicy Indian notes come in a second later and really pop in the aftertaste. Spicy and hot! Definitely warms you up. The curry dominates

M - Oily and slick, medium bodied, and lots of carbonation.

O - An interesting brew, and original for sure. But not really my cup of tea. Too spicy for me, but then again I am not crazy on Indian food...so to be expected.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company