Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

3.86/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.95/5  rDev +34.5%

As someone who loves big and complex flavor, this beer is unrivaled. I typically gravitate toward hard-hitting, aggressively citrus-y IPAs, but I have never been as wowed by a beer as I was by the Indra Kunindra. 10/10 would beer again.

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.39/5  rDev -62.2%

I did not like this beer at all, Curry smell was to much and the taste was a train wreck.
maybe It's because I'm not a fan of Indian food, but coming from Ballast Point I had to give it a try.

I was told a year on the shelf gives this beer a new life, but I'm really not trying to buy or smell this beer again lol

4.66/5  rDev +26.6%

A: Very dark brown, almost black, with a nut brown head.

S: Roasted coffee with a side of chocolate and toasted coconut.

T: At first, you get the notes in the smell, but as the beer starts to warm up, it yields the Indian spices. First the cayenne shows up, then the curry, followed by the cumin, then finally, the lime leaf.

M: Not creamy, and not thick, but it does have a slightly full, velvety feel with a little bit of peppery heat from the cayenne.

O: This is my favorite dark beer. I can understand why there's some dislike for it, but I love this beer so much, it's almost a bit heartbreaking to see and hear people refer to it as "piss" or "vomit". I really enjoy the fact that the beer doesn't get boozy as it warms up and allows other tasting notes to emerge. Can't wait to drink it again.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with a medium frothy tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is huge Indian spice, perfumey curry and lime and coconut. Very interesting.

The flavor is interesting as well - lots of curry powder, sweet lime and a little coconut and then a lot of heat from the spice (cayenne). The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a very unique and interesting beer. It actually works for me.

1.23/5  rDev -66.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Absolutely horrible. Taste like soy sauce and indian spice.

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very different kind of beer but very memorable in a good way. I LOVE the spices!

3.64/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1.29/5  rDev -64.9%

It is a terrible disaster.

This might have been the worst attempt at any beverage in the history of man. The mouthfeel (though spit up almost on consumption) was mouth full of spices that were balanced as if a deaf, dumb, blind, mute, Ethiopian wonderer grabbed a cabinet full of random dirt & attempted to make curry. The taste was 1 half sip away from vomitus. The appearance is as dark as night with a light stout head which is its only upside. I'm a US Marine & beer snob I'm quite aware, but I would not serve this "swill" to ISIS militants. That is how bad this product is. BP you are a top tier beer producer but on this you failed miserably. Please for the love of all beer drinkers everywhere take this urine off the shelves.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A: Pours a deep chestnut brown, tawny mocha head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring around the edges. Thick viscous coating on the sides of the glass.

S: Big curry up front, coriander, licorice, very spicy. Slight phenols, and toffee.

T: Loads of coriander, cumin, curry spice with curry being the most present flavor. Oak and dates come through. Hop bitterness comes right up front with the Indian spices quickly taking over. As the beer warms lime flavors present themselves.

M: Full body, viscous, although the spices and hop bitterness remove any slick feeling left in the mouth.

O: Good beer, not overly spiced for me although it is heavily spiced if you are not familiar with Indian food/spices. Definitely would not be having multiples of these as they would probably become more like eating a meal than thirst quenching.

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%

Hardest review I have ever written here, and please reserve me the right to update these comments in the near future. MMMmmm,...,....yuck,....omg, auguh! Try it again. Not much different reaction. This stuff requires some heavily spiced eastern food that can fight back. So, I give this every point from 0-5, all over the place, this is unique. It is more like a spicy marinade I make for kebobs on the bbq than something I intend to drink. Clever, spicy, surprising, I give it a 1-5 point spread, you are gonna hate it or love it and there ain't no place inbetween! I will bbq with this tomorrow as my marinade for tri-tip and I am sure it is going to be awesome.

Appearance - Looks like any other normal stout, it's difficult to get a low appearance, just know they can be deceiving!

Smell - Curry, spice, I'm in an Indian restaurant drinking the pungent air

Taste - HUGE hit of spice and heat, cumin, masala?, almost a saltiness, savory beer

Feel - Almost painful, raw, overpowered

Overall - Folks have given this 5/5's, which don't exist for their grapefruit/habanero IPA.. which I LOVE. I thought that, after their habanero, this would just be the next step, unfortunately we just don't click. I see comments like "oh well if you don't like this, stick to Bud Lite". Get out of here. This is such a uniquely crafted beer, perhaps my palate will appreciate it in time, but as for now it just seems like a risk that didn't pay off. Take the money you'd spend on this and try any/all other B.P. brews before this, only then would I suggest taking the dive. Will revisit in time, 1/5.

4.29/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2.14/5  rDev -41.8%

On initial opening and pouring, I really got the smell of hard cedar and redwood. The taste is very much so, with huge hints of southeastern asian flavors. A very spicy beer with the slight stouty taste as the finish. I didn't like this beer and probably will not buy again.

This beer is amazingly creative. Big bold flavors work well together and come through in well defined layers. Some of these haters should just stick with their Bud Light.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev -10.6%