Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,070
4.52/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was a fantastic beer. When poured this beer came out a dark brown with slight reddish tints. The head was not terrifically stiff but fizzled down with a bit of time. The first smell was a strange sensation that can only be described as a bus filled with sweaty people meets a barnyard. Totally unappealing at first.
Then the taste, my god the taste. The structure of the beer was balanced, it's density analogous to the german dopplebocks or a mid weight brown ale, it's sweet notes did not hang on as syrupy, they simply washed across the palate like a tide across a beach. Biscuits, slight dried fruit notes, mixed in an indian spice of cumin, cardamom, curry . The initially off putting smell came back into the brew and pared into the flavors accentuating and bringing forward different notes within the medley of flavors. The warming of the glass brought forward different tastes, while usually the bitter qualities tend to come forward with this brew instead the malt qualities integrated into the spice better resulting in a mid-body well composed brew.
This beer, whether you like it or not, is true artistry and owning to it's uniqueness truly peerless.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - Pours cola brown with a tan, finger width head. Sub-par retention, fizzing away to a near barren surface and a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Milk chocolate, light earth and a serious spicy undertone.

Taste - Follows the nose. Sweet chocolate notes upfront, followed quickly by a hot, spicy and earthy flavor. Finish is much the same, with a mix of sweet and spice.

Mouthfeel - Full in body with moderate carbonation. Slick texture before the dry, burning finish.

Overall - Nice heat with the sweet combining for an odd, unique and mostly pleasant drinking experience. Everything the Rogue Sriracha hot stout should have been, but wasn't.

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

It is what is advertised. Curry up front, coconut after taste. And cayenne just burning the back of your tongue. It delivers as advertised and is respectable but not what i enjoy out of a stout.

1.81/5  rDev -52.2%

As someone recently returning from a trip to Mumbai, I was definitely intrigued by this brew and not one afraid of Indian spices. The concept of this beer is actually quite brilliant, but the execution falls horribly short.

On the first sip the kaffir lime is extremely overwhelming and remains so throughout. Cayenne is the second flavor present. I want to stop there for a second... in cuisine, it these two flavors are leading the pack in a dish, would you eat it? Cumin arrives third on the palette, but the sourness and spice of the lime have already ruined the party by that point.

Because of the above, this beer is literally unpalatable. At around ten bucks, that hurts more than your typical new brew gone bad.

If they ever do it again, I hope they ditch the lime, the cayenne, and stick to more classical indian spices like coriander, cumin, and clove (especially clove... really really missing in this brew). There was also no sweetness to offset the bitterness of the lime and the heat of the cayenne... if they searched for a more umami flavor from by bringing in cinnamon and maybe cardamom this beer could have really worked.

I like this idea of a masala spiced beer, but this one is not it. Ballast Point, usually a huge fan but you owe me a Seamonster after this one...

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I LOVE Indian food. This is aVERY underrated beer from an Indian food lover perspective. Bring that dish level 10 spicy ALL DAY...with this to pair it.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I thought this was a pretty awesome beer, but judging by the other reviews I'm in the minority. To me, this tastes like what all those Christmas stouts brewed with 'spices' are supposed to taste like, with the uniqueness of the Indian spices really making it stand out above the other spice brewed stouts.

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

This is a beer that you think you'll probably not like and then not like because of that. Maybe, you'll not want to knock one back on its own.

But, it is good. And I bet it goes really well with may ethnic foods.

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

I was drawn in by all the bizarre additives, but should have known better. The smell is all curry and cumin. Taste is much the same, but the cayenne heat is present as well. Not much stout flavor, just lots of spice. Overall a regrettable purchase.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, I guess this was interesting. Like drinking a bottle of curry mixed with stout. I mean, this clearly wasn't made for beer drinkers but for people who are just generally adventurous with their palates. Go ahead and try it, it's definitely different, but I hesitate to even call it beer and if you're a beer drinker looking for a delicious beer, this ain't it.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

22 ounce bottle into a snifter.

Pours dark, opaque for the style. Not much head, some lacing. Smells great. Lots of curry. Picking out the cumin, some lime, a little coconut as it warms. Big curry taste up front, then the cayenne kicks in on the way down, a medium heat. Getting some lime and cumin again. Feels like it's highly carbonated, although the head didn't show it. Very smooth.

Liked this a lot- the spices are very well blended and complex. I would love this spicing in an Imperial Stout. I'm not sure this style supports all the spices that well, although the thinner feel might be better with a meal.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

Bomber bottle

Pours a dark dark shade of reddish brown, not really approaching black, moderate mocha head, leaves a nice fine film and thin collar.

Cayenne, and cumin is what I pick up on the nose.

Pleasant stout with better thne moderate spicing going on. Moderate heat, that glows on the tongue for a good long while...also more cumin and curry/Indian spicing. Tasty, complex, interesting and quite worthy stout.....A natural pairing for some BBQ or indian food ....I'd definitely buy this one again

2.86/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells great but the curry taste is just too overwhelming for me. I like Indian food, I like stouts, so I thought I'd like a curry stout. I was wrong.

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Interesting experience. The curry stays in the back and warms the stomach and the back of the throat. Chocolate and coconut forward in flavor with the spiciness of the curry taking the backseat and lingering on the finish. Nose starts like a brown ale with hints of cayenne spiciness with chocolate notes in the back. Glad I got to try it. Some of the reviews on here are completely mislead and must be trolling, not abrasive at all in flavor or smell in spite of the ingredients.

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

Sooooo, I've been forced to submit a review due to my rating being detected as an outlier. This is nice since I enjoy, and work with, statistics. I have to say first and foremost that I thought maybe I had found the wrong page for this beer since the ratings are incredibly low. Just goes to show that beer, like most things in life, are subjective.
So here goes, I guess?:
Pours a nice West Virginia coal-country black. I like stouts that look like stouts. The smell is immediate. That immediate smell, to me (hint: I enjoy Indian food), is very curry and chocolate-forward and stupendous.
The taste has a nice back-throat fizzle that is usually reserved for chili stouts, though no heat follows it. This is a nice taste/aftertaste.
The remaining flavors consist of more curry, some sweet spices like coriander (also mentioned on the bottle description) and others that I can't make out since I'm not too much into reading my own reviews on BA and don't take the time to "power up my palette."
I was very surprised by the chocolate notes since they didn't seem to be advertised by Ballast Point, but there's that subjectiveness again...screwing things up.

2.49/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes/smells like coconut thai curry, a bit spicy. Interesting, but not at all what I look for in a beer. The first sip was a bit jarring, but mellowed out as I became acclimated. Overspiced for my taste. Sorry BP, your IPA offerings are in my top 5.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a: a syrupy, dark black color with some faint muddy brown notes. 1/2 finger tan head that is fading quickly and leaves you with nothing but a thin film on top

s: never smelled a stout quite like it. there is a chocolaty, maple syrup, and toffee background. but then it takes a turn with some aromas unique aromas. for me, i pick up the kaffir lime leaf right away - which adds a lightness and vibrance to the aroma which is quite nice. you're then greater with a mixture of cayenne pepper and coconut (as the text on the bottle also indicated). very interesting aromas going on here, with some nice layers.

t: whoa. spicy. right away you're punched in the face with spice from cayenne pepper. after the first few sips, your pallet adjusts a bit to what feels like putting cayenne pepper directly in there. i'm picking up some of that curry spice in here as well, with some malt sweetness. hard to get much else

m: lighter side of medium. low carbonation

o: overwhelmingly spicy for me. i appreciate what they did, and its a well-made beer, but i'm having trouble getting through it. its just a bit too much

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It smells and tastes like authentic, Indian curry. It's amazing. A bold yet well-done beer. Worth a try, unless you are shy at heart. Pleasant spiciness that builds over time.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Whoa. Definitely one of the most challenging beers to review.

Look: Not as dark as most stouts. and looks noticeably thinner. Light brown head.

Aroma: Smells like an Indian Restaurant.

Taste: Spicy and SPICY. The curry and cayenne do not hide, that is for sure. The coconut comes through as your tongue begins to heat up. The lime leaf is also modestly present after several sips.

Feel: Not nearly the smoothness or creaminess you may be used to with stouts. A little bit thinner and definitely fizzier. That being said, this isn't a standard stout.

Overall: Definitely not for everybody. Definitely not for most occasions. However, I've never had anything quite like it, and that says something. Ballast Point really created a stout that is in a league of its own. Being that it's a limited release, if you see it, and you love the "beer adventure" try it.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

The nose is that of a jar of curry spice or maybe the first smell as you walk into a curry house. A beer shouldn't smell like this!
Taste the stout, then the curry, then the stout again, then it tapers into a lingering cayenne heat. A beer shouldn't taste like this, either!
Somehow, they pull it off, though, and it becomes an intriguing and powerful sip.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Unique beer with a hell of a lot of spice flavor. Reminds me that I need to make curry with coconut milk again. A bit overwhelming in flavor near the end but the spices make me feel so good, I can't stop.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer sounded so novel that I had to try it and I really like Ballast Point.

A - Black color with chunks of spice floating in it. Fluffy khaki colored head. Light lacing.

S - Strong curry and cumin smell up front. There is light lime and some signature stout fragrances but the curry is predominant.

T - Initially the curry hits the fore-tongue and then there is a rush of very complex spices over the palate. In the middle there is a sweet export stout flavor accompanied by a significant coconut taste. The finish is spicy with the cayenne and the curry bringing up the back strongly.

M - Moderate mouth-feel with mild carbonation. There is a sticky spiciness that lingers on the back of the palate but the sweetness from the stout is in the middle.

Overall, I was taken back by the spiciness. It is a pretty complex brew on the tongue but the curry and spice is quite strong. I did like the middle flavors and the complexity but the body and the spice just lingers. I would recommend this if you like cayenne on the back of the tongue but if you don't like spice then I would go with Victory at Sea instead.

Glass- Snifter

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Damn. If you enjoy curry, this is for you. The body has a watery look to it. Aroma of curry. Think of chicken curry. In the taste, there is a pinch of heat from Cayenne. All of the curry benchmarks are there. Turmeric, coriander, some ginger, curry spices prevail. The feel is superior.

Overall - This is a great beer. Again, only if you like Indian curry. I like it, and I would definitely have it again.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Weirdest beer I've had yet. Glad I tried it once. Don't know if i can finish the bomber. I do wish i would have split it with a couple of other adventurous peeps.An experience for sure. My tummy hurts...No regrats.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Love this beer. To this day, this is the only beer I have drank, and threw up as the first beer of the night because I drank it too fast like an idiot. Be forewarned, this is a true sipping beer, to be drank with food. It is spicy, and complex. Keep that in mind, and you will get along great with this one-of-a-kind brew!

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a curry stout. If that thought disgusts you, you probably shouldn't buy, drink or rate this beer. I couldn't imagine having this without food to stand up to it, but it went well with pulled pork. It's hard to imagine a better take on a "curry stout." Trust your instincts on this one. If you think you might hate it, you'll probably hate it. If a curry stout is in your comfort zone, check it out.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company