Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

The clerk at Table & Vine convinced me to get this one over some other beer (I have forgotten which) by saying it actually tastes like Indian food. I very much enjoy Indian food, so let's see if he was right...

A - I was so intrigued by the spices brewed with this beer, I hadn't realized it was a stout. The pour let me know otherwise. The dark brew wells up a half finger of chocolate milk colored frothy head which fades almost immediately

S - they weren't kidding. the Indian spices are nearly overwhelming, the cumin especially. The lime leaf and the curry are also noticeable. One of the most powerful noses on a beer I've experienced. Not sure how appetizing it is.

T - Yup, he wasn't right. If you don't like Indian food, you probably won't like this beer. Conversely, if you like this beer, go try Indian food! The spices are intense. But good intense, they don't drown out the stout, but they are a challenge. Its like a good hot sauce; a good hot sauce is challengingly hot, but doesn't lose its flavor to blind heat. This beer doesn't lose its beer soul, but is a challenge to enjoy since the spices are so big.

M&D&O - definitely a challenge (have I said that this beer is a challenge), this spices will turn off a lot of people. I enjoy it, its complex, layered, and brewed with quality. Nice job BP.
Which leads to a weird score, the overall is higher than it should seem because what makes this beer great isn't really accounted for in the four metrics given.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Very spicy and interesting. The flavor profile was more Thai than Indian for me. Strong curry and coconut notes. Slightly jarring flavor profile. Ballast Point is one of my favorite breweries and I appreciate it when a brewery tries something different. Everyone should try this beer once since its flavor is so unique but I doubt that I'll be coming back for seconds.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.23/5  rDev +14.9%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap at Drop Off Service, New York, NY

A: The beer is very dark red (near black) in color. It poured with a thin tan head that faded away and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of toasted coconuts in the nose along with notes of spices.
T: The initial taste has flavors of coconuts, but these are quickly followed by an interesting mix of spicy flavors—cumin seems to stand out in particular and cayenne pepper loners through the finish. The spices are strong but not overdone.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little airy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The spices make the finish a little dry.
O: This beer is quite unique and is quite spicy. It's not the easiest beer to drink but is probably as drinkable as you could get for a spiced beer.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.2/5  rDev -13%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Purchased a bomber of this beer after sampling it at the GABF.

Pours black with a finger off mocha foam that fades away without lacing. Aroma smells like... curry and lime. So strange. I like Indian food, but honestly this doesn't smell appetizing.

First sip tastes... like curry and lime. Minimal residual sweetness. It tastes like curry. I really don't know what else to say about it.

This is a really hard beer to review. I really like the fact that it is so unique, but when it comes down to the question of would I buy (or even drink) this again... probably not.

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: 4.0 dark and little head
S: 4.5 smells like an Indian restaurant with limes on the back end.
T: 4.5 cumin upfront and then followed immediately by coconut and then the cayenne pepper and limes on the back end of it.
MF:4.0 lower on carbonation but great body
O:  5.0 for uniqueness. Really interesting beer and I have never tasted anything like it. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company