2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 524 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.45/5  rDev -7%

The clerk at Table & Vine convinced me to get this one over some other beer (I have forgotten which) by saying it actually tastes like Indian food. I very much enjoy Indian food, so let's see if he was right...

A - I was so intrigued by the spices brewed with this beer, I hadn't realized it was a stout. The pour let me know otherwise. The dark brew wells up a half finger of chocolate milk colored frothy head which fades almost immediately

S - they weren't kidding. the Indian spices are nearly overwhelming, the cumin especially. The lime leaf and the curry are also noticeable. One of the most powerful noses on a beer I've experienced. Not sure how appetizing it is.

T - Yup, he wasn't right. If you don't like Indian food, you probably won't like this beer. Conversely, if you like this beer, go try Indian food! The spices are intense. But good intense, they don't drown out the stout, but they are a challenge. Its like a good hot sauce; a good hot sauce is challengingly hot, but doesn't lose its flavor to blind heat. This beer doesn't lose its beer soul, but is a challenge to enjoy since the spices are so big.

M&D&O - definitely a challenge (have I said that this beer is a challenge), this spices will turn off a lot of people. I enjoy it, its complex, layered, and brewed with quality. Nice job BP.
Which leads to a weird score, the overall is higher than it should seem because what makes this beer great isn't really accounted for in the four metrics given.

12-19-2012 01:56:59 | More by sinstaineddemon
mportnoy

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Very spicy and interesting. The flavor profile was more Thai than Indian for me. Strong curry and coconut notes. Slightly jarring flavor profile. Ballast Point is one of my favorite breweries and I appreciate it when a brewery tries something different. Everyone should try this beer once since its flavor is so unique but I doubt that I'll be coming back for seconds.

12-09-2012 04:57:42 | More by mportnoy
neuromancer9k

Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev +14%

On-tap at Barcade (Brooklyn, NY). Served in a something that looked like a cross between a snifter and a wine glass.

A: Deep, dark color. Not much head retention. Not very clear, but hard to tell given the low lighting of the establishment.

S: Bad sense of smell on my part combined with amateur nose, so all I can say is that I didn't pick up anything that would deter my enjoyment of this beer.

T: Goes right down, but you will notice the spices immediately. Although I would not say that the spices overpower the beer, they are on the strong side..which is a good thing in my opinion.

M: Lighter mouthfeel than I would've expected for a beer this dark, although hardly watery.

O: Extremely unique beer, in a good way. Would definitely grab some for home if my local place gets some. Not one that other beers can follow well due to the lingering presence of the spices. If you're out trying several to see what you like, be sure to save this one for last.

12-08-2012 16:21:53 | More by neuromancer9k
metter98

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at Drop Off Service, New York, NY

A: The beer is very dark red (near black) in color. It poured with a thin tan head that faded away and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of toasted coconuts in the nose along with notes of spices.
T: The initial taste has flavors of coconuts, but these are quickly followed by an interesting mix of spicy flavors—cumin seems to stand out in particular and cayenne pepper loners through the finish. The spices are strong but not overdone.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little airy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The spices make the finish a little dry.
O: This beer is quite unique and is quite spicy. It's not the easiest beer to drink but is probably as drinkable as you could get for a spiced beer.

12-02-2012 13:39:26 | More by metter98
FickleBeast

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Purchased a bomber of this beer after sampling it at the GABF.

Pours black with a finger off mocha foam that fades away without lacing. Aroma smells like... curry and lime. So strange. I like Indian food, but honestly this doesn't smell appetizing.

First sip tastes... like curry and lime. Minimal residual sweetness. It tastes like curry. I really don't know what else to say about it.

This is a really hard beer to review. I really like the fact that it is so unique, but when it comes down to the question of would I buy (or even drink) this again... probably not.

12-01-2012 02:48:24 | More by FickleBeast
brewdude1982

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: 4.0 dark and little head
S: 4.5 smells like an Indian restaurant with limes on the back end.
T: 4.5 cumin upfront and then followed immediately by coconut and then the cayenne pepper and limes on the back end of it.
MF:4.0 lower on carbonation but great body
O:  5.0 for uniqueness. Really interesting beer and I have never tasted anything like it. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different

11-24-2012 19:59:36 | More by brewdude1982
ummswimmin

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily.

11-24-2012 15:42:57 | More by ummswimmin
Phelps

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

11-22-2012 04:36:54 | More by Phelps
tdm168

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A - black with a short-lived, off white head

S - curry, cumin

T - curry, cumin, lime, faint toasted coconut, light cayenne bite in the finish, light acidity

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp

A+ for uniqueness. Overall A. Really a solid beer with a tremendous flavor profile. This isn't a beer I could drink a lot of due to fatigue, but it is very enjoyable in small (bomber sized) quantites. This is very well balanced and very drinkable. This would be great with a meal or as a meal. You should definitely check it out.

11-21-2012 02:31:21 | More by tdm168
smakawhat

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured on tap at full pour into a snifter glass at Churchkey.

A tan head is presented, with quite a bit of lacing while consuming, always leaves a good collar. Simple dark walnut brown/black body, quite opaque, pretty solid looking brew.

Nose is one giant wow, this is curry in a glass. It's all there, the milky coconut milk like cream, hints of curry powder and pepper. Lots of cumin! There is no sense of serious booming heat here either it's all nicely balanced like a good dish, it is truly mouthwatering!

Palate is all that and a bag of chips. Giant curry bomb with a classic powder angle with malt wetness to carry it. Under control. Milk stout like body though it's the only thing I can maybe fault if I want to split hairs, with a great coconut sweetness finish. Mild carbonation with good pepper powder action.

In one word, just flat up awesome. This is the kind of craft that really impresses me, just needs some cardamom or garam masala and we are taking this to the next level baby!

11-21-2012 00:43:35 | More by smakawhat
Mic-Lee

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Opaque black with a khaki colored head. Thai flavors abound. Lime leaf, coconut and curry. Kaffir lime leaf featured prominently. Thom Kha Gha. A little burn on the back of your mouth, near the throat. Citrusy and tangy. Spicy, but not deep or dirty. Perfumy, especially in the end. Surprisingly crisp. No bitterness.

Overall: I feared this brew for a month or two, letting it sit in the fridge, daring me to try it. I’m glad I finally did! It has bright Kaffir lime leaf flavors and a smooth and floral finish. It is very flavorful and definitely unique. The burn in the back of your throat is welcome. Despite being quite crisp for a beer this dark, it is also rich; I could have only one of these.

11-20-2012 00:02:03 | More by Mic-Lee
Falcon91Wolvrn03

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance – Pours a super dark black color with notes of red on the edges and noticeable carbonation. Has a nice head, very good lacing, and some sediment.

Smell – Coconut curry. If there’s other scents there, they are dominated by the curry. Nice, although not very "beer" like.

Taste – Curry, malt, a peppery spice, and a hint of lime. Taste a lot like a curry dish.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation, medium body, a fair amount of a hot spice that lingers in the aftertaste.

Drinkability – This might have a touch too much spice to be highly drinkable. I’m not sure whether curry belongs in beer, but I think this is about as good as it can be done.

11-16-2012 06:05:33 | More by Falcon91Wolvrn03
Dope

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with a big fizzy medium brown head. Fades somewhat quickly, leaving just a smattering of lacing behind. Zero head retention, can't even revive it with a swirl. Looks to be almost completely flat.

S: What a unique aroma. Toasted coconut is quite apparent. Lots of spices that I can't really place. A little bit of heat burns the noise (chile pepper?).

T: Heavy coconut up front. Some roasted malt with a touch of char and chocolate. Very spicy in the middle. Chile pepper heat, nice wave of it right after the middle and into the finish. More spices and more coconut mixes in with the burning. Long lingering simmering heat that adds up. Having said that, it's nothing over the top, just lasts forever. Swear I get a hint of lime in that lingering aftertaste as well.

M: Medium bodied but feels heavier due to very low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: Definitely one of the most unique flavor combinations in a beer that I've ever had. Usually experiments like this fail miserably but this one turned out while well. Roasted malt tends to go well with chile pepper heat and the coconut brings a nice toasty aspect. Lots of spices everywhere that are hard to describe but contribute to the spicy/hot aspects of this beer. Nice balance of flavors to boot.

11-16-2012 04:07:23 | More by Dope
AdamBear

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

A-black with a decent dark tan head that thins quickly

S-roasted coffee and definitely some indian smelling spices, the kinds i expect to smell in an Indian restaurant. seriously smells a bit like curry. i've never smelled a beer like this. its odd.

T-wow this is odd! this comes in with an extremely evident flavor of coconut curry. wow i can't believe this. the cocoa is minimal. then comes in a fairly heavy heat of indian peppers. its awesome. this is awesome. wow. the spice really has a kick that stays.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-this is just an awesome beer. i've never, ever had anything like this. i was expecting some sort of weird dogfish headesque concoction that is weird and okay, but doesn't quite flow right. but this flows right, very right. its so yummy! its something i can drink all night, i'll actually be craving this when its gone, i know so. the spice hits so well.

11-13-2012 01:17:16 | More by AdamBear
jlindros

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

This sure looks like an interesting and unique beer. Let's see how it actually does.

The long neck shotgun pours the darker mocha colored fizzy bubbly almost 1 finger head that fades very quickly, and in an instant there is barely a head covering, with very little lacing, over pitch black thicker looking viscous like dark beer.

Nose explodes with curry and cumin, I almost thing I'm in India for a second, it's hard to get anything else behind all that, but somehow I find some dark malts, a light vanilla and caramel, and a bit of a milk chocolate, touch of toasted coconut, etc. Lots of spices and very Indian.

Taste actually starts with coconut, wow coconut, with a bit buttery and toasted coconut right out, with a nice vanilla like demeanor. Just as quick comes the cayenne, big spicy heat and lots of cayenne pepper. Finally comes the Indian spices, curry and cumin are fairly strong as the initial coconut fades, although the heat stays for a while. The malts bring a bit of mocha, little powdered cocoa and some caramel but barely. It's hard to get anything else other than the spices. Finish has a long cayenne pepper heat that lasts for a while. The heat seems to increase a bit after each sip and hits a nice hot plateau, and for a hot pepper fan it's quite nice. The finish is also sticky and syrupy, some lingering cumin and curry, and a bit of the toasted buttery coconut and little vanilla.

Mouth is med to a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, little creamy, and lots of pepper heat.

Overall quite a unique beer. The spices really come out and dominate everything else, and teh beer itself is kinda lost in it all. It's somewhat tasty as I'm starting to really enjoy well done curry, but all in all it's hard to get the beer aspect of it. The pepper heat is nice for me, as well as coconut, but still hard to really enjoy it as a beer.

11-11-2012 03:52:07 | More by jlindros
DocJitsu

4.48/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a nearly black and opaque with a dark khaki head. Banana, cocoa, coconut, and some unfamiliar spice on the nose. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and smooth. Coconut, cardamom, ginger, and clove. My goodness, this is so magnificent and unique. I took one of these home.

11-04-2012 01:32:38 | More by DocJitsu
ElSteve22

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can say is WOW. This beer is quite an experience. I am a huge fan of stouts and Ballast Point, so I figured this was a no brainer. The smell is what does it. This is one of the spiciest beers I have ever experienced. Lots of curry (and I mean LOTS) and the coconut and cumin really shine through as well. Poured this one cold out of the bottle and let it warm up a little in a tulip. The pour didn't yield too much in the way of head and the head was all gone by the time i was half way through. The taste was bold (of course) due to all the spices, but I was a little let down with regards to the body and mouth feel of this beer. I really let it warm up for the 2nd pour and I was rewarded for my patience. I would definitely recommend letting a cold one sit out for a good 10-15 minutes before drinking. Maybe more depending on your taste.
Overall I liked the beer and I'm definitely glad I picked it up, but I don't know if I need to have this one again. If you like curry, this beer is a must try. If you don't like curry, stay far away.

11-04-2012 00:16:05 | More by ElSteve22
mactrail

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I fail to see the humor in this one. It looks fine, though, with the usual touch of foam on the dark brown brew poured in a Duvel glass.

The odor hits you before you get the glass to your lips. And that's the best feature of this stuff. Coconut and curry. The taste is just an intensified curry with blow torch of heat to take care of any taste buds remaining functional. The initial foam subsides quickly to an oily sheen in the glass, with zero lacing. The slight prickly carbonation on the tongue morphs into a bitter burn. On top of everything, the hoppy bitterness adds to the pain. Acidic finish.

I realize there plenty of coffee and raspberry flavored beers in the Stout categories, but why isn't this a Herbed/Spiced beer? You could only rate the spice flavors, which are totally heavy-handed, not the fleeting beeriness. From the 22 oz bottle.

11-02-2012 04:17:02 | More by mactrail
SHODriver

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured into a nonic pint glass to a deep black with a finger of rocky tan head that fades to a small collar around the glass
S: smells of cumin, cayenne pepper and curry
T: coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, a bit of roast malt displaying some coffee and chocolate. swallow brings more coconut, coffee, lime leaf? and a bit of heat
M: somewhat heavy with slightly prickly carbonation
O: one of the more interesting beers I've drank. Definitely not sure what to expect and I'm not sure if I like the outcome. I wouldn't call it a drain pour candidate but I don't think I'll be buying another one. Spices seem to dominate the malt bill and I'm not sure if I'm feeling carbonation or my tongue starting to burn. Not bad at all though. If you're looking for an interesting beer that's kinda DFH like in oddity then this one is right up your alley. the coconut is nice but a bit of subtlety from the spice would have been lovely instead of it being so in your face.

10-31-2012 02:39:52 | More by SHODriver
Gavage

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: pours a black color with a 2" head that slowly falls.

Smell: roasted malts and a strong curry aroma rises from the glass.

Taste: roasted malts, cumin, cayenne, and a load of curry flavor. The spices are a bit overpowering here as a late bite really hits the throat hard. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Light crispness at the start, smooth and dry with a strong spicy kick at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: this beer was a bit too spicy and the curry and cayenne is too up front here. A small glass is all you can have in a single session.

10-28-2012 17:57:17 | More by Gavage
harrymel

Washington

Very interesting idea...best by 02JAN13

Pours black with a edge and some etch of mocha foam. Smells like curry mix in the spice jar still - profoundly strong. Oddly, the lime comes through and actually as it warms I think the cumin is what may put this over the edge for appreciation. I love curry, and I love cumin, but a little too much here. Flavor is like biting into a cumin, kaffir, massamun curry ball with a bit of cocoa and coffee. I can't stress this enough: THE BEER NEEDS TO WARM UP SUBSTANTIALLY. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a relatively dry finish.

10-23-2012 04:07:26 | More by harrymel
Aleman1966

1.33/5  rDev -64.2%

As a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts I had to give this a try.
VERY strong on the curry...I am not a fan of curry.
This tasted like Gandi took a dump in an Old Rasputin.
Unless you really like Indian food and the spices used in it then stay away from this poison.

10-21-2012 19:02:56 | More by Aleman1966
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub a couple weeks ago. This review is from notes.

Pours ink black with a very persistent tan head. Glass gets completely coated in tan foam. The smell is instantly curry balanced out by some oily coconut and roastyness. Again, classic Indian curry takes the lead in the taste, with anise, cumin and cinnamon notes. Coconut provides a nice moderating sweetness. Roasty, chocolatey stout flavors mix with a citric hoppiness in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and low in carbonation. Curry and bitterness from hops and black malt make up the finish.

This is an interesting stout. Its a little too curry dominant for my tastes. Still worth a try, made me want Lamb Vindaloo.

10-14-2012 22:47:30 | More by CAMRAhardliner
donkeyrunner

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark brown pour sits opaque black. Dense, clay colored head. Despite it's auspicious beginning, all foam is gone by the time I finish my beer.

Smells like curry and coconut shreds over a pretty good export stout.

Cocoa and chile with an odd citrus something in back at first (the kaffir lime leaves?). As the beer warms the cocoa simmers down and the vanilla-y coconut stands out more. Hot cayenne fade. Smooth mouthfeel like a baltic porter.

Good grocery list beer. Usually the adjuncts are overpowering and messy or too subtle to be worthwhile but this was a good mix.

10-13-2012 13:15:42 | More by donkeyrunner
Chico1985

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm usually weary of the crazy ingredient beers, but I couldn't neglect to try an Indian food stout. Plus cbutova loved it ;)

Color is pitch black, small beige head turns to a thin ring very quickly eventually dissipating to nothingness.

Coconut mostly dominates the smell, though spice comes out more with warmth. Some darker caramel malts.

Taste...wacky! Huge coconut and peppery curry spice. Some lime. Quite a bit of heat here, definitely is like a spicy Indian meal in a glass - there is kind of a milk stout vibe underneath all the madness, but not much stoutness to it.

Slick, sorta light feel with medium carbonation. Heat starts pretty intense and grows with warmth.

Wow, quite a beer...its flavor is very unique and awesome but it is also damn difficult to drink. Even splitting the bomber was kind of a chore, I would've been good with a ~4oz pour of this. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like spice/Indian food but to me it's a novelty beer.

10-12-2012 03:18:59 | More by Chico1985