Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Ratings: 960 | Reviews: 265
3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As noted in the reviews below, this could be a very polarizing beer. I happened to wind up on the 'like' side of things. Deep brownish/black hue (especially in the light), and barely any discernible head by the time the pours arrived. Curry and spice notes were dominant, and I did not get much of a coconut presence at all. This was very interesting in that the spiciness, etc. of the brew made for a very interesting tingle in the already coating and viscous mouthfeel. I would definitely suggest a sampler pour (I had a 4oz) as opposed to a bomber if you get the chance. While I thought it was very good (and again, what it was advertised to be), I am not sure that I would go for an entire bottle. I feel as though this would be a great beer to pair with various spicy dishes as well (as I am beginning to learn a bit more of that in the updated BA magazine!).

4.39/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Small Bar, poured into pint glass

A: Black, opaque, dark brown head. Small patches of lacing stick to the glass.

S: Good lord, what a unique nose. Complete spice overload. Cumin and chili prominent, the brew gives off notes of licorice and curry and about half of your spice rack.

T: The curry plays a much bigger role than I the nose, and the brew gives off a lot of heat, but in balance. Cumin, paprika, nutmeg bounce around. Subtle notes of vanilla and unsweetened chocolate fall out, and a touch of hop astringency. Amazingly, everything works.

M: Medium comexioun, slightly creamy.

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very different beer. There is a lot going on in it. I could taste the curry, cayenne, and lime leaf. its complex and interesting. I found it a nice change of pace and it was fun sorting through all the different flavors. I wouldn't recommend it for every one, but if you are looking for something unusual definitely give it a try.

4.57/5  rDev +23.8%

Bomber from what other than Holiday Wine Cellar, poured into a tulip glass. Black in color, large rich mocha head with large beads and good retention, attractive lacing. Aroma of Thai style curry, coconut milk, lemongrass, cayenne, mild sweetness from the malt.

Flavor also brings the "Thai style curry" notes with the cumin up front, bright citrus notes on the midpalate, the spice wonderfully rounds it out on the finish and the coconut smooths it all out. Cookielike malt flavors and a roasty end note prep me for another sip. Robust body with an unusual higher carbonation for it, but the bubbles scrub the spice against the palate--both the cumin and the spicy hot of the cayenne. So many things being described here could send a beer in a horrible wrong direction, but the proportion here exhibits a finesse in adjuncts that has to be tasted to be believed--the balance is just perfect. The luscious malt character is present when you look for it, as is the roast that just perfects the finish, but the "crazy stuff" in here is front and center and it is amazing.

The bottle calls this an Indian style export stout, and wordplay aside I would probably call this a Thai stlye stout as far as pure flavors go. An extreme beer that pushes boundaries that nobody seems to have even approached before, utterly unique, tantalizingly exotic, and simply sublime.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

So Raul is just laying low at tha Joint, The Playground, in Downtown Santa Ana, CA on another bright and sunny Sunday afternoon. And although this isn't your "Sunday drinking" beer, Raul has no complaints about it.

This thang is kind of like that Aubrey Plaza hoochie; I mean, I would, again and again, but Raul couldn't exactly tell you why. There's something exotic and intoxicating about it, but its foreign enough that Raul cannot put a place on it.

Yep!

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Super dark. Can't see any light through it with a dark tan head. Big bubble disappear pretty quickly leaving little lacing on the glass.

S - Peanuts, curry, and a hint of malts.

T - Coconut curry, roasted malts, a little spice. Not as much curry flavor as I hoped for.

M - Light bodied stout that leaves a lot of curry on the palette.

O - I've had this beer on tap and it was MUCH better. It's a little too smooth out of the bottle for my taste.

4.49/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque black with mocha head.

S: Vanilla delights the most, along with cumin, curry, dark chocolate, orange, lime, lemon and cayenne in the nose.

T: Orange, lemon and lime come out first, like a black IPA, on a chocolate/coffee-forward roasted malt backbone. This is followed by an interesting, but pleasingly smooth and seemingly logical transition into cumin, curry, cayenne, citrus peel and dark chocolate over a smooth vanilla backbone.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: It all blends together really well and tastes interesting, weird and delicious. A kick of cayenne remains in the finish and aftertaste. Wonderfully weird and strange, delicious, but you have to like indian spices to like this beer.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Too much Madras for me but very interesting. Would love to have more coconut and kaffir come out in this.

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to sdhomebrewer for sending this one.

Pours smooth and black into a tulip, yielding about a finger of tan head. This fades slowly, leaving a little lacing.

Smells spicy and a little sweet, unlike any beer I've ever encountered. Curry definitely comes through, along with some lime.

The taste starts out like any stout, dark and malty, but quickly gives way to a flurry of other flavors. The lime shows up, then a variety of curry spices, and the finish distinctly peppery.

Medium to full-bodied, with a little more carbonation than I expected. The ABV is absolutely undetectable with all of the complex flavors going on.

I'm happy to have had a chance to try this one, but I would not seek it out again.

1.23/5  rDev -66.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Absolutely horrible. Taste like soy sauce and indian spice.

Worst beer I've ever had. Curry does not belong in beer.

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

I did not expect to like this very much, but surprisingly enough the flavor combination really worked for me. The sweetness of the coconut nicely balanced out the heat of the cayenne (and curry, to a lesser extent). The cumin and lime didn't come through as much. Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it beer. I should also mention - I had this at a bar, started by getting a taster and liked it enough to get a 5 oz pour as part of a sampler paddle. Getting through a full 22 oz bomber would no doubt be a challenge by myself.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

Pourer from a 22 oz bottle into an alesmith tulip- pours a pretty dark color, slight ruby around the edge. Barely any head, no retention, no lacing. Has some cumin floating around.

Smell is really interesting- coconut milk is the strongest scent, followed by cumin and then a blend of lime and roasted malt.

Taste is similar but has more spice to it than the nose. Coconut milk and curry up front, superseded by cumin and chile spice, them roasted malts but finishes spicy.

Mouthfeel is good- medium bodied, light to moderate carbonation. This has a decent spice to it but it's well balanced by the smooth coconut. This is definitely worth trying if you can find it. I'd certainly get it again.

4.06/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Damn. If you enjoy curry, this is for you. The body has a watery look to it. Aroma of curry. Think of chicken curry. In the taste, there is a pinch of heat from Cayenne. All of the curry benchmarks are there. Turmeric, coriander, some ginger, curry spices prevail. The feel is superior.

Overall - This is a great beer. Again, only if you like Indian curry. I like it, and I would definitely have it again.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Interesting beer with interesting flavor combinations but hard to finish a full one

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

I was drawn in by all the bizarre additives, but should have known better. The smell is all curry and cumin. Taste is much the same, but the cayenne heat is present as well. Not much stout flavor, just lots of spice. Overall a regrettable purchase.

4.41/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Great smell but spicy in the aftertaste

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow... This beer is the most interesting beer I've ever had by far! These are spices I'm very familiar with. The smell is an aggressive hit of curry, cumin and cayenne for sure. The taste is sweet chocolate with a finish of all the spices in the nose. I absolutely love it. If you want a new experience in beer, and you like Indian food or spicy Asian food, this is a must try. Mixed reviews are totally understandable, but I'll always remember this beer.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a dfh snifter

A: pours black with a bit of brown towards the head when held to the light... Little to no head after a regular pour, the head appears to be tannish, little to no lacing....

S: an interesting aroma, I get a ton of curry spice blended with cayenne along with a bit of lime, smells like a sweaty Indian guy, fresh out of the kitchen after cooking up some deliciousness in the tandor oven. I picked up on a strong whiff of coconut goodness when I opened the bottle however this seems to be lost now that its in my glass. I really don't get a lot of the typical stout aromas either... Mainly just the spice.

T: taste follows closely with the aroma, almost to a T, up front I get a light touch of chocolate then going into the curry spice and lime leaf, with the cayenne coming in strong on the finish, bringing a bit of heat to this, this is like liquid Indian food, very interesting. I do not mind the flavor, but a whole bomber may be a bit of a chore for one person.

M: medium heavy body with low/moderate carbonation... Not a bad mouthfeel. Dry w/ some cayenne heat on the finish.

O: this is a strange and interesting brew, a bit heavy on the lime for my tastes, and deffinatly heavy on the spice, like unsaid before, reminds me of a sweaty Indian guy. Glad I tried it, but I don't see myself hurrying to pick up another.

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

Sooooo, I've been forced to submit a review due to my rating being detected as an outlier. This is nice since I enjoy, and work with, statistics. I have to say first and foremost that I thought maybe I had found the wrong page for this beer since the ratings are incredibly low. Just goes to show that beer, like most things in life, are subjective.
So here goes, I guess?:
Pours a nice West Virginia coal-country black. I like stouts that look like stouts. The smell is immediate. That immediate smell, to me (hint: I enjoy Indian food), is very curry and chocolate-forward and stupendous.
The taste has a nice back-throat fizzle that is usually reserved for chili stouts, though no heat follows it. This is a nice taste/aftertaste.
The remaining flavors consist of more curry, some sweet spices like coriander (also mentioned on the bottle description) and others that I can't make out since I'm not too much into reading my own reviews on BA and don't take the time to "power up my palette."
I was very surprised by the chocolate notes since they didn't seem to be advertised by Ballast Point, but there's that subjectiveness again...screwing things up.
LOVED IT.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark color with a tan head.
S - toasted and dark chocolate with lots of spice
T - Coconut with lots of curry and cayenne.
M - Medium body
O - Like curry and spice you will enjoy it. It certain to be unique.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

Appearance: Mild head retention, , nice lacing. Black with a light brown head.

Nose: Loads of cumin and curry, with a little pepper in the middle. Coconut smoothness.

Taste: Many Indian spices put together very nicely. Curry and spice at the end. Some very nice pepper hotness at the end. Blended perfectly. These are not easy spices to play around with. You get sweet, flavorful, spicy and bitter...in that order.

Notes: I reviewed this so highly because of the complexity and competence with which these spices were added.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

22oz bottle into snifter.

A - Pitch black with a tan head that doesn't stick around too long.

S - Light roasted malt, coconut, cumin, herbal spice. It almost has a magic marker smell to it, very interesting.

T - Whoa, the spicy cumin and cayenne immediately hit first, lending a mild burn all the way down. The herbal spice dominants throughout, with coconut and subtle citrus notes becoming more evident on the back end. A light roasted malt backbone thankfully keeps the bold spices in check.

M - Light-medium body, creamy, mild carbonation. Lots of heat initially in the mouth and throat, but eventually settles into a nice warming sensation. Dry finish.

O - I'm so glad I decided to pick this up, as it's very unique and experimental (in a good way). Although the spice profile is huge, it is somewhat balanced by the roast and citrus. Definitely a sipper, and would be interesting to pair this with some sort of Asian cuisine.

4.19/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It smells and tastes like authentic, Indian curry. It's amazing. A bold yet well-done beer. Worth a try, unless you are shy at heart. Pleasant spiciness that builds over time.

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of the crazier beers I've had in recent memory. Previous reviews highlighting curry and cayenne balanced out by lime and coconut are spot on. This really is like drinking a carbonated Indian dish. Every sip brings to mind a spicy curry, before it even hits your lips. People who don't care for spice are going to hate this beer in a big way, like not being able to drink it kind of hate. I would recommend letting this warm just a bit into the mid 40s, and a 12 oz pour is more than enough. In fact a single bottle is something a couple of drinkers could split to get the full effect of the kunindra.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company