Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

02-12-2014 12:34:40 | More by Stinger80OH
inlimbo77

Delaware

22oz bomber poured into a Victory snifter. Special thanks to ren for this rare release. Cheers.

A: Pours a really dark black with little hues on edges. Not as thick as I was expecting. About a finger of tight tan bubbles. They fade quickly. Some sticky lacing.

S: Definitely get the cumin and cayenne smells along with the lime. I think the curry I behind that all. It's an extremely complex and inviting smell, if you like those spices that is (which I do).

T: Nice spicy bite on the tip of the tongue. You get the curry smells when you dig your nose in the glass. Lots of heat on the back end as it goes down your throat from the spices. The lime does show up in the mid tongue. This beer gets better with warming up a bit. The lime becomes less pronouced and the curry and other spices so up big.

M: It's actually medium to full bodied stout. Again, not as motor oil thick as I was expecting. Definitely coats the mouth though.

O: I am going to go with a solid B+ on this one. It's certainly DIFFERENT than other stouts out there, but I like where they went with it. Obviously, if you don't like those flavors this one could be offputting to you.

11-04-2011 13:39:25 | More by inlimbo77

11-01-2013 02:36:35 | More by zonker17
macrosmatic

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, with a thin tan head that fades quickly and no visible carbonation.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on here. Complex and unique. My first thought is Indian food - curry and lime - with some spicy peppers and black pepper, tobacco and musty leather notes like an old book, and just a bit of cacao. This smells a bit like you stuck your head into a spice cabinet. Fascinating, and I can't stop smelling it.

T: Starts with big curry and dark roasted malts - but the curry and spices dominate. Then there's a definite citrus lime flavor in the middle. Near the swallow, there's a cayenne pepper kick that lasts after the swallow and remains noticeable in the esophagus and on the lips. Interesting and tasty, but I'm not sure I could drink an entire bottle.

M: Full-bodied, low carbonation sensation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well, this was exactly what it said was going to be. It was a different and challenging beer for me. Very interesting, and I think I would recommend it for someone looking to try something very different or as a change of pace. Certainly not an everyday drinker.

11-17-2013 20:42:51 | More by macrosmatic

JRod1969

05-11-2012 17:42:52 | More by JRod1969
micromaniac129

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

With all the different spices used to make this brew what did I smell, oak barrels.
Only latter as it warmed did i pick up other aromatics. The most aromatic was coconut.
Next would be curry paste.
A light black or ruby brown color with a fast fading head.
Taste is spicy. With coconut and curry and hot cayenne.
I think the stout beer itself is a bit lost amongst the spices.
Drinks smooth and hot.
The best part was the aroma, quite fragrant.
This is a fun beer with a lot of things going on but I think it's too spicy in that it's not balanced well. If the spices were more in line with the stout malts so they each complimented each other, bam!, you got a winner.

12-22-2012 14:33:11 | More by micromaniac129
Phelps

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a mug.

Brewed with curry spice, coconut, kaffir lime leaf, cayenne and cumin. Made with a homebrewer for the Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th anniversary.

Ebony, with lighter brown highlights. A craggy, rocky-road head is an inch tall.

Lime and curry spice in the nose. They weren't messing around with the spices. Hint of toasted coconut and milk chocolate.

Dude. This is weird. Packed with as much curry as and Indian restaurant, and the juice of two or three limes. A hint of toasty bitterness in the back. Wish there was more stout to balance. A spoonful of coconut curry on every bite. What hops are on here interact with the food, adding citrusy bite.

Cayenne pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, working with the warming sensation of the alcohol. Light body, a fair amount of fizz.

So odd. More like food than beer. Not unenjoyable, but it's like Indian food: you damn well better be in the mood.

11-22-2012 04:36:54 | More by Phelps
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bottle.

Pours opaque black with a half inch head of beige. A few whisps on the surface and elongated dots of lacing throughout the glass.

Aromatics lead off with bakers chocolate, Kahlua, espresso, coconut, and spice.
Hints of curry, mint, and peppercorns follow through. Hawaiin Tropic suntan lotion drizzeled over Oreo cookies.

Full bodied with a snappy, prickly mouthfeel.

Charred malt, dark chocolate, coffee beans, and chili peppers start the palate. Coconut shavings, spicy curry, and white pepper follow through.

Finishes with a lingering throat burn, bitter chocolate, and coconut.

Interesting beer, but definately one to split a bottle with 2-3 people.

01-15-2012 23:52:20 | More by brewandbbq

RoryOMoore

10-27-2012 03:31:57 | More by RoryOMoore
djaeon

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Pours a very dark brown/black with a light head.

S - Chilled it smells like a smoked porter. As it warms, the cumin & curry aromas come out nicely. Would be great with Thai or Indian food.

T - Initially it tastes like a spicy smoked porter. The cayenne pepper show up in the finish. As it warms, the curry becomes more aggressive (in a good way). The cumin and cayenne also becomes more noticeable. I'm not a fan of peppery flavors in beer, but this isn't too bad here. My wife and friend can taste the lime leaf, but my taste buds can't find it.

M - Average mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. The cayenne burn lingers around too long for my liking.

O - This is good as a one off beer release. A nice experiment. If it was a regular release, I wouldn't buy it more than once. I'm glad I tried it, and it was interesting and decent, but I wouldn't try it again. Take out the cayenne and this might be a completely different story.

10-03-2011 00:06:37 | More by djaeon
brotherloco

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

10-12-2012 04:09:25 | More by brotherloco
baybum

05-15-2013 02:43:40 | More by baybum
ummswimmin

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer is listed as Foreign/Export Stout. It could also fall into a spiced category or even as a chile beer. Indira is so different/original that the flavor is very memorable. I feel that this could be the most polarizing beer out there. Almost everyone that tries this beer will love it or hate it. Per my scores, I loved it.

I had this beer out of an english pint glass. You can really smell the cumin, cayene, and the lime off the top. This is an odd, but really good, smell. The smell is really strong and surprisingly balanced.

After the first sips I got a lot of warming heat in the back of my throat. There is tons of spice in each taste. I got more of the spices and the lime. There is also some coffee there, and I think I get some chicory in there (its a good thing). I was surprised by the level of balance going on here, and I couldn't understand why. My buddy (Naugros on BA) pointed out that there was coconut in there to provide that balance. Once it was pointed out, I really taste the coconut.

Naugros also pointed out that this is like the 'curry' of beers. I liked the insight, so I felt it was appropriate to include.

Indira is unlike any beer I've ever had. I really enjoyed sharing this bottle.

Side note: this beer is tough on many stomachs. The chile and spices can really work it over. I wish I'd had it earlier in the evening to digest it through more easily.

11-24-2012 15:42:57 | More by ummswimmin
muskiesman

04-17-2014 23:37:27 | More by muskiesman
sneaks2210

05-08-2013 19:47:19 | More by sneaks2210
shand

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer where the label tells you what you're getting yourself into. This is a curry beer. It smells like curry. It tastes like curry. The aftertaste burns just a bit in the back of the throat, just like curry. If the concept of drinking a good curry doesn't interest you, stay the hell away from this beer. I love curry, I love stouts, and this exceeded my expectations. A tasty and surprisingly drinkable novelty.

07-06-2013 02:26:44 | More by shand
KVNBGRY

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. Bottle (2012)

Appearance - Not quite black, but the deepest brown possible. Thin, light khaki head recedes to a thin ring. Not much lacing at all. (but there is some)

Aroma - Curry, saltiness, and a hint of chocolate. This reminds me of my favorite candies of all time: Coconut curry cashews.

Taste - Curry and cayenne heat dominate. It finishes with a hint of lime, and milk chocolate. Lingering curry / cayenne heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low to average level of carbonation. The heat makes it feel like there's a bit of alcohol present. I don't believe that to be the case.

Overall - If you don't like curry, or heat, steer clear. This is one of my favorite "specialty beers" out there. If you have one, and would like to trade, let me know!

08-31-2013 04:08:10 | More by KVNBGRY