Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

On tap at the Bier Stein.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, as I pick up chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and a hint of spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but I was completely surprised my the amount of heat in the finish. While I think it's kind of fun, the chili heat is almost too much for me (and I tend to like hot and spicey food), and so it's pretty hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot of this. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but not at all heavy, with a long, heat infused finish.

An interesting beer, for sure, but again, it's hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot o this stuff. (696 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, oily, jet black coloring with brown tints around the edges and no head whatsoever. Looks heavy and dense. Aromas of bittersweet baker's chocolate enveloped in curry spices. Very interesting blending on the nose. Flavors are curry forward, with both spice and heat, followed by a ribbon of chocolate and coffee, both bitter and sweet, and then the beer transitions back into the spice and heat of curry. The aftertaste is bitter and warming, and the warmth lingers throughout the finish and for quite a while after, as well. The finish is slick and smooth. This is a very unique take on an Export stout. I am very intrigued by it, and it would make for some interesting food pairings, because it seems like it can easily overpower. (791 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. goose island pint glass.

black in color with a mild head. smell is intriguing, its got the chocolate and malts of a stout but its also got this spicy, hot aroma to it too. the taste is very similar, full bodied stout with a big kick of spiciness on the back end. the heat becomes overwhelming as you continue through the glass, which hurts drinkability.

overall good if you like hot stuff, but its quite spicy. (451 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle shared by Jason, 650ml into a tulip. Best before October 12, 2013.

Black, translucent at the edges. Tan head. Nose of lime, coconut milk, cayenne and curry are quite prominent as well. Ultra-unique, really smells of Indian cuisine. Tastes again of lime and coconut, cayenne and roast are there. Dark chocolate as well, cayenne stings into the finish. Medium thin body (suited to the beer) with a lower medium carbonation. An original beer, spice and the dregs of every glass poured is super spicy. (506 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with mahogany highlights at the edges. Half finger light brown head dissipated slowly to a ring around the glass with light lacing. Interesting aroma of sweet dark malt, coconut and pepper with hints of curry and cocoa. Flavor is also unusual; coconut is instantly obvious on the start, with sweet and roasted malt, chocolate, immediately covered with peppery spices. Finishes peppery and spicy with the heat clearly from hot pepper and not from hops. The spices definitely dominate most of the taste of this stout, but the body, while not intense, supports the spicy flavors. Medium bodied with a bit of creaminess. I like this quite a bit and enjoyed the whole bomber in one evening. Not for the hot pepper and/or coconut adverse. I would pick this up again if it was available. (Please come to Washington, Ballast Point!). (893 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

- Ipa styled export stout brewed with Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, & kaffin lime.

A: Dark bakers chocolate pour produces a 2 finger mocha foam monster of a head. Good show of visible carbonation rushes up along the glass walls. Lace coating is modest 50% coverage rate, spotty.

S: The lime and coconut are first to get noticed with mention of cayenne and cumin. Fresh coconut, leafy greens, with the curry coming on the trail. Some celery stalk and a faint peppery mention. A nice mixture of asian spices, the chocolate and roasted nature a bit more reserved. Spicy, unique.

T: The asian spices come through strongly on the flavor aspect, no subtle hints here, distinct warming of cayenne and curry add that distinct spiciness and flair. Roasted coconut, cumin, fresh greenery, some coffee with a gentle warming of asian spice finish that provides just that right amount of balance, complexity and gentle warmth to the palate for a wintery night sampling.

M: Mouthful had a spicy cayenne sensation on the inner cheeks, as well the tongue. Body is medium full, some gentle dance of carbonation.

O: Overall I gave consideration for its uniquiness and what they were intending to do rather then shoe horn and punish this by style for a more focused attention on the spices then the roasted and coffee nature. An uniquely spiced export stout that highlights the asian induced spices with a very good balance and represenatation. A definite consideration for a one time sampling to try something outside the box. (1,526 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: extremely dark brown with what appears to be a moderate haze and some ruby highlights. Head is a thick finger of frothy tan foam with decent retention. I find it quite attractive!

Smell: whelp, it smells like a good curry. I would not have guessed this was a beer based on aroma alone. As an export stout -- it doesn't really apply. As an herbed/spiced beer, it's not too bad; it's also pretty much as-advertised. I'm genuinely ambivalent about this.

Taste: nicely stouty with plenty of that crazy curry. The coconut really comes through in the flavor, and overall this is an astonishingly balanced beer for all of the stuff going on in it. Is it a novelty? Maybe. But one I'd be happy to drink again.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: what a weird beer. Definitely in a category all its own. I love its flavors, though I'm not sure I love them in beer. Still, it's ten times more successful than most chile or otherwise oddly-spiced brews. (1,040 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber. (700 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

---

3/14/15

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07. (1,521 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Shared by BRoss242 during his own send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, curry, Indian food, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, curry, and meat. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I really didn’t know what to expect on this one when I first saw. Once I took my first smell of it I REALLY didn’t know what to expect. Was this dry hopped with Indian food was one of my first thoughts… I happen to like Indian food, but why does my beer smell like it? The same went on in the flavor as well as it tasted like curried meat which was quite surprising. I could see this going well with a nice dish of Indian food, but on its own, I’m not too sure about. Glad I got to experience something this strange, but doubt I will do so again. (1,062 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry. (1,429 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours jet black with a brown-ish head. In the aroma, curry, cayenne pepper, and small lime citrus. In the taste, lime, small curry, and notes of cayenne pepper spice. A small spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lime cayenne pepper, and curry notes in the aftertaste. Big lime, mellow curry and big spice in the end. Different, but enjoyable. (369 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Basin Pub in Bushnell's Basin, NY.

Holy shit, what a weird beer.

Pours a fairly dark black, with a small quarter inch tan head, and a good amount of lacing.

The aroma on this one? Wow. It really does smell like spicy curry. Somehow in my mind I thought they were lying or something and this would just be a nice regular stout. Nope. There's curry powder, cayenne pepper, and chocolate, all miraculously working together.

The taste is also pretty good, surprisingly. This is far from something I could drink a ton of, 4 oz is just enough. There's a distinct and delicious curry powder flavor, and cumin, as well, up front, buried by chocolate and hot peppers. The pepper flavor lingers for a while, and is actually quite spicy. I get a little bit of coconut on some sips too, but not on all of them. Against all odds, this tastes good. I'm really impressed with the beer's ability to make put flavors together in a beer that should never be there, and actually make the flavors work.

This one is medium bodied, with a dry, spicy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's a slow sipper, due to the intensity of the unusual flavors.

This really worked. I'm quite impressed with Ballast Point. Is it something I could drink all day? No, not at all. Should everybody try at least a little bit? Definitely. (1,329 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Best 5 October 2013. Allegedly brewed with "Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and Kaffir lime."

A: A finger of creamy, brown head. The beer is black and opaque.

S: It smells savoury. It actually smells like curry and chili. What? But also milk chocolate, cumin, lemongrass, coconut milk, and fresh-mowed meadows. I am just confused, and have no idea how to rate this...

T: Uhhh. Like it smells. But more amazing. Specifically, the coconut shines, offering a singular sweetness that is unsurpassable. I am pretty much guaranteed to like anything with cayenne in it ever, but this is really something. The pepper serves to mitigate any sticky sweetness and makes the endtaste much more exciting. The curry is obvious mostly at the beginning and not particularly welcome (in general in beer). There is also cracked black pepper and an odd sweetness that could be coconut flesh, but could also be eggnog or caramel or saltwater toffee...

M: Smooth but spicy. Engaging, sort of, but mostly in the background of the thoroughly bizarre flavor.

O: I think I like it? Points for being interesting as hell, and not being entirely terrible. It pulls it off better than I thought it might. I imagine this would go well (maybe??) with actual curries and the like. If you don't like Indian food, avoid this beer. (1,367 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

The adjuncts in this beer work so well together. Coconut at first followed by hints of lime and a curry finish that creeps up on you. This beer's not for everyone so be sure you enjoy these ingredients before you buy it. (222 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Notes from San Diego trip.

A- Black body with a light, creamy mocha-tan head. Retention and size are both decent. A few spots of lace down the glass.

S- Very unique. Huge coconut, lime zest and earthy feel atop a roasty stout body. Curry and cumin as well as the roast malt, cocoa.

T- Crazy beer. A meld of big coconut, a ton of lime zest, curry and cayenne up front. Hugely earthy flavors. Cumin kicks in with warmth and the coconut starts to fade.

MF- Silky, creamy moderately thick body that is somewhat oily. Slightly hot from cayenne with some roast bitterness.

A meal beer, between the spices and roast flavors it is more like food. Fresh spice flavors are very nice. Lime cocoa interplay is cool. A beer that is surely love and hate between different people. (770 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Looks like a dark beer. Yeah, dark brown, like a soft siesta. Head is beige, nice-looking, like a woman. This head is a woman.

Smell is spice-gasmic. Mildly tickles you with roast, then takes you on a cable car, presenting you with anise and clovey vistas. And nothing else.

Taste has a similar note, but a touch of roast, before it forays into spice territory, and what a Leroy Jenkinsian foray! Pepper, even chilli there, plus anise, then finish is dry, with some vanilla pods and odd herbal pepper notes as well. It is a decidedly odd chap, but one I decidedly like.

Foamy, really odd spicy notes on the back. Weird.

You meet this chap on the street. He reads you some new wave beat poetry. It's avant-garde. It's weird. I can't help but like him though. He's definitely his own beer. (791 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a black color with a short brown head that settles into a light ring. The shade of brown was a bit different, not sure if that was due to the spices.

The nose is quite interesting. The curry really stands out, which goes nicely with the coconut. The cumin is noticable but not strong. Some roast and caramel pop through but it doesn't really get by the curry aroma. You must like curry to enjoy the aroma.

The taste is big on the curry and coconut. The roasted malt stands out more and provides a dark fruit note. The cumin and cayenne come next with the latter providing a noticable heat. Some vanilla and caramel notes as well. This really tastes like a curry dish.

The feel is moderate with prickly carbonation, drinks fairly crisp for a stout. A bit thin for a stout. Spicy on the palate with roast bitterness and heat in the finish.

This has to be a polarizing brew. You must like the spices added to like this beer. Fortunately I do and this is one of Ballast Points better "pepper series" brews. I am a little worried that the flavor profile may get cloying by the time I get to the end of the bottle. (1,118 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

1284th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
22oz

Thanks to GuruDel for this one.

App- A dark brown pour bordering on black with some garnet edges. A 2 finger semi brown head fell quickly and left no cling or lace behind.

Smell- Pure milk chocolate on the nose. No malty backbone just liquid diabetes. The coconut and the cumin come next. That was about it. Those flavors dominate the aromatics.

Taste- Chocolate, vanilla and coconut open this up and then oh wait hello mr. spice. My lips are now tingling from the curry and the cumin. Very well layered and balanced without the spices dominating. Alot going on in the last 1/2 of the bottle but works really well.

Mouth- A creamy medium body with a low/medium carbonation. Makes my lips tingles from the spices and the chocolate/coconut flavors remain.

Drink- Unique, layered, semi balanced. The coconut spice was a good combo for me. Very flavorful. (897 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut. (1,094 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%

22 oz. bottle. Enjoy by 1/2/13. Woops.

Very dark maple syrup brown. Finger of dense, marshmallowy, peanut brown head. Very nice lacing up the glass. Nose is heavily spice-laden! Coconut is at the forefront, backed by cayenne, and lime. Some other muddled spice as well. Licorice, lightly roasted malt, and toasted marshmallow. Interesting...maybe a little scary.

Well, the taste definitely follows the aroma. Light roasted and chocolate notes up front. Hint of nougat. Indian spices make a grand entrance and kind of take over the palate. Coconut lays the base, overlaid with spicy cayenne, some cumin, and tangy, citrusy lime. Cayenne spice picks up into the finish. Lingering coconut, chocolate malt, and lime. Medium-full body, with a creamy, smooth feel. Very interesting and nicely done. Might not want to drink this everyday, but would love to try it with some Indian food.

Definitely an India-style export stout! (922 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Very dark brown. Slightly translucent. Forms a small creamy brown head. Some light lacing.

S: A rather interesting blend of curry, spice, and balsa wood.

T: Starts off with a strong bitter coffee flavor then turns to dry (unsweet) coconut. Finishes with cayenne spice and even more curry.

M: Medium bodied - light for the style. Spicy in more ways than one.

O: A very interesting beer. Overall, good, but can't say I thoroughly enjoyed it. But, I will say it is very different and the blend of flavors does seem to work in a rather odd fashion. (555 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Love the aroma of this one. It helps that I love Indian food, I suppose. Curry and cocunut in the nose, both prominent in the taste, with the right amount of lingering heat from the cayenne.

Wish this was available in six packs, I would buy it often. (253 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

On tap at the Scripps Ranch location

A: Black with a very thin dark brown head.

S: Good lord. Huge aromatic curry notes. To me it smelled like a Thai yellow curry. Coconut milk, cumin and spices. Amazing.

T: Lots of curry upfront with some coconut following. The finish brings a bit of roasted malts and powdered chocolate. I didn't think this beer was going to work, but somehow they pulled it off. Not sure I would want a full pint of this, but I'm glad I got to try it. (475 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with a big fizzy medium brown head. Fades somewhat quickly, leaving just a smattering of lacing behind. Zero head retention, can't even revive it with a swirl. Looks to be almost completely flat.

S: What a unique aroma. Toasted coconut is quite apparent. Lots of spices that I can't really place. A little bit of heat burns the noise (chile pepper?).

T: Heavy coconut up front. Some roasted malt with a touch of char and chocolate. Very spicy in the middle. Chile pepper heat, nice wave of it right after the middle and into the finish. More spices and more coconut mixes in with the burning. Long lingering simmering heat that adds up. Having said that, it's nothing over the top, just lasts forever. Swear I get a hint of lime in that lingering aftertaste as well.

M: Medium bodied but feels heavier due to very low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: Definitely one of the most unique flavor combinations in a beer that I've ever had. Usually experiments like this fail miserably but this one turned out while well. Roasted malt tends to go well with chile pepper heat and the coconut brings a nice toasty aspect. Lots of spices everywhere that are hard to describe but contribute to the spicy/hot aspects of this beer. Nice balance of flavors to boot. (1,282 characters)

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company