Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Indra Kunindra - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Indra KunindraIndra Kunindra

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 06-06-2011

Reviews: 249 | Hads: 1,039
4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Clear black colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smell is sweet with a strong chocolate and coconut aroma with a little mint to it. Little bit of caramel only existence of hop is the mint scent.

Starts off sweet with a lot of chocolate and strong taste of cinnamon.and cardamom? What the hell is in this? Reading the label "Madras Curry and lime leaf" well that is different! I can taste the lime and the curry but that coconut really stands out. This has a little burn to it.

Mouthfeel is thick.

This a tasty and unique beer and well worth the effort to taste.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Madras curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf Stout. This is the entry for the AHA Pro-Am Competition brewed by Colby Chandler and Alex Tweet. Congrats on this Alex (RIP checkii). I think this is also Holiday Wine Cellar's 46th Anniversary beer

Four ounces enjoyed at Homebrew Mart.

A: Dark brown with a ruby tinge and a frothy beige head.

S: Toasted coconut is aromatic, with faint cayenne notes and a little chocolate. The coconut and curry combination is unusual, but it smells great, and the cumin is a nice addition. The kaffir is evident as the beer warms. The coconut profile is fantastic.

T: Coconut and curry with an upper low level of cayenne heat and nice cayenne flavor. Chocolate blends with lime and cumin as the pepper heat fades in and out.

M: Lower full bodied with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and smooth, with an insistent pepper heat.

Overall: Awesome nose and really interesting all around. Four ounces was enough for me as the flavors are overwhelming after a while.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a rather light-bodied brown-black hue, with a very minimal head that forms as a fuzz of mild brown and then almost disappears entirely. No lace, no visible carbonation. I have to say it looks a little underwhelming.

Nose, though: amazing. Buckets of coconut, kaffir lime, turmeric up the wazoo. Some candied orange characters, along with a hint of the depth of the stout. Spicy and sweet, with a richness like wandering through a south-Asian marketplace. It's fresh and bright, and yet dank and deep at the same time, just like a big, rich Indian curry. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Taste is also excellent. Here the spices take the depth a little more seriously, with some of the more earthy tones coming through more strongly. Still lots of turmeric, pepper, kalonji mingled with lighter herbier tones of fenugreek and coriander. Better yet is that the beer rises up to support it, with a solid chocolatey tone on the back. After a while, the pepper character builds up, leaving a pronounced spiciness on the finish, but it's only a suitable effect from the flavours.

Feel is a little too light for my liking: I think it could do with a little bit more body in both the flavour and the palate. That may make this superb.

Overall, I'm very impressed. This is a supremely interesting beer that manages both to do something unique, and to provide a balanced and comprehensive beer experience. Extremely interesting and engaging stuff.

On tap at the Bier Stein.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, as I pick up chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and a hint of spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but I was completely surprised my the amount of heat in the finish. While I think it's kind of fun, the chili heat is almost too much for me (and I tend to like hot and spicey food), and so it's pretty hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot of this. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but not at all heavy, with a long, heat infused finish.

An interesting beer, for sure, but again, it's hard to imagine ever drinking a whole lot o this stuff.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. goose island pint glass.

black in color with a mild head. smell is intriguing, its got the chocolate and malts of a stout but its also got this spicy, hot aroma to it too. the taste is very similar, full bodied stout with a big kick of spiciness on the back end. the heat becomes overwhelming as you continue through the glass, which hurts drinkability.

overall good if you like hot stuff, but its quite spicy.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with mahogany highlights at the edges. Half finger light brown head dissipated slowly to a ring around the glass with light lacing. Interesting aroma of sweet dark malt, coconut and pepper with hints of curry and cocoa. Flavor is also unusual; coconut is instantly obvious on the start, with sweet and roasted malt, chocolate, immediately covered with peppery spices. Finishes peppery and spicy with the heat clearly from hot pepper and not from hops. The spices definitely dominate most of the taste of this stout, but the body, while not intense, supports the spicy flavors. Medium bodied with a bit of creaminess. I like this quite a bit and enjoyed the whole bomber in one evening. Not for the hot pepper and/or coconut adverse. I would pick this up again if it was available. (Please come to Washington, Ballast Point!).

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: extremely dark brown with what appears to be a moderate haze and some ruby highlights. Head is a thick finger of frothy tan foam with decent retention. I find it quite attractive!

Smell: whelp, it smells like a good curry. I would not have guessed this was a beer based on aroma alone. As an export stout -- it doesn't really apply. As an herbed/spiced beer, it's not too bad; it's also pretty much as-advertised. I'm genuinely ambivalent about this.

Taste: nicely stouty with plenty of that crazy curry. The coconut really comes through in the flavor, and overall this is an astonishingly balanced beer for all of the stuff going on in it. Is it a novelty? Maybe. But one I'd be happy to drink again.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: what a weird beer. Definitely in a category all its own. I love its flavors, though I'm not sure I love them in beer. Still, it's ten times more successful than most chile or otherwise oddly-spiced brews.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

- Ipa styled export stout brewed with Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, & kaffin lime.

A: Dark bakers chocolate pour produces a 2 finger mocha foam monster of a head. Good show of visible carbonation rushes up along the glass walls. Lace coating is modest 50% coverage rate, spotty.

S: The lime and coconut are first to get noticed with mention of cayenne and cumin. Fresh coconut, leafy greens, with the curry coming on the trail. Some celery stalk and a faint peppery mention. A nice mixture of asian spices, the chocolate and roasted nature a bit more reserved. Spicy, unique.

T: The asian spices come through strongly on the flavor aspect, no subtle hints here, distinct warming of cayenne and curry add that distinct spiciness and flair. Roasted coconut, cumin, fresh greenery, some coffee with a gentle warming of asian spice finish that provides just that right amount of balance, complexity and gentle warmth to the palate for a wintery night sampling.

M: Mouthful had a spicy cayenne sensation on the inner cheeks, as well the tongue. Body is medium full, some gentle dance of carbonation.

O: Overall I gave consideration for its uniquiness and what they were intending to do rather then shoe horn and punish this by style for a more focused attention on the spices then the roasted and coffee nature. An uniquely spiced export stout that highlights the asian induced spices with a very good balance and represenatation. A definite consideration for a one time sampling to try something outside the box.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on September 13, 2015.

The pour is dark brown with a long lasting foamy tan head.

This has some spice! Coconut and roasted malts are there briefly but the Curry, Cumin, and Cayenne express themselves more in the aroma.

The body is in the medium range.

The heated spicy characters of the cumin, curry, and cayenne paper are explosive on the palate. I like spicy foods but the amount of heat on this stout made it a sipper. Actually, I bet it would be a great beer to cook with.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Great Lakes Brewing goblet, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head that fizzled away pretty quickly. There isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells mostly like cumin, curry, and cayenne, along with a bit of coconut. The spices overpower pretty much everything else that's in the aroma. The spices are strong in the flavor of this beer too, but I can also taste some lime, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, too bad I only bought one bomber because if I had another one I'd probably drink it now! Recommended if you like spicier food/beer. $9.35 a bomber.

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A-Pours black or damn close to it. Head won't grow. Its nearly headless. An odd circular island of foam sits in the middle of the glass.

S-Loaded with curry. The lime really shines too. I want more coconut and I don't know what cumin smells like. The curry and cayenne give this anomaly some spice. If I smelled this blind I would be dumbfounded.

T-This beer is spicy! Liquid Indian food. Again, I want more coconut but I strangely like this weird mutant beer. Curry and cayenne lay it on heavy. The lime and (albeit slight) coconut give it a flamboyantly fruity finish. Light cocoa and very soft roast. What a wacky glass of hooch.

M-The curry comes up in blitzkrieg fashion whenever I burp. This beer is spicy as hell. Hope it doesn't give me the shits before work tomorrow. A blatant sipper. Jesus this bomber gave me the sweats.

O/D-One of the weirdest brews I have tried. I loved it. This is a one-time-only beer for me probably but I loved the eccentricity.

Finally got around to grabbing another bottle of this. I said this was a one time only purchase but I was wrong. I have been craving this beer since the first time I tried it. Revisiting it, I find more beloved coconut than before. It's just such a unique beer. It's ridiculous. It's also spicier than I remember; actual heat from the cayenne. Tickling heat hangs in my lips. Really hard to judge this beer after everything is considered. It's an abomination that I love; a Frankenstein. Definitely raised my original rating from a 4.07.

4.32/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thick and sweet and full of a wild range of flavorful tastes. Deep dark chocolate malt juniper with cinnamon and vanilla coconut. All blended into a pleasant pepper heat. This could be a neat Christmas brew. I really like this although it's no session brew. One at a time should do. There was little to no head and carbonation was equally weak but there was a nice satiny feel.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Basin Pub in Bushnell's Basin, NY.

Holy shit, what a weird beer.

Pours a fairly dark black, with a small quarter inch tan head, and a good amount of lacing.

The aroma on this one? Wow. It really does smell like spicy curry. Somehow in my mind I thought they were lying or something and this would just be a nice regular stout. Nope. There's curry powder, cayenne pepper, and chocolate, all miraculously working together.

The taste is also pretty good, surprisingly. This is far from something I could drink a ton of, 4 oz is just enough. There's a distinct and delicious curry powder flavor, and cumin, as well, up front, buried by chocolate and hot peppers. The pepper flavor lingers for a while, and is actually quite spicy. I get a little bit of coconut on some sips too, but not on all of them. Against all odds, this tastes good. I'm really impressed with the beer's ability to make put flavors together in a beer that should never be there, and actually make the flavors work.

This one is medium bodied, with a dry, spicy mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation. It's a slow sipper, due to the intensity of the unusual flavors.

This really worked. I'm quite impressed with Ballast Point. Is it something I could drink all day? No, not at all. Should everybody try at least a little bit? Definitely.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Tasting on 9/9/14

It's a thick dark brown, completely opaque, with a brown head rising to about one finger in height. Left behind as the beers falls is some firm, sticky lace in good quantity.
Right from the start, I'm impressed. It smells and tastes in every way, to the minutest detail, exactly like curry. I understand that beers like this one (ST Crème Brulee comes to mind as well) can be extremely polarizing. I don't eat curry every often. It can be very good but I can take it or leave it. The funny thing is, I like it better as a beer in this case. The spices are all there, cumin up front with coconut, maybe cinnamon, plenty of peppery heat that builds but never too hot, a slight tang to balance out what's otherwise extremely savory. The actual element that makes it what is, additional spicing aside, is absolutely and completely undergirding and foundational. Curry powder? That malts are detectable with their smoothness and just enough roast is a bonus.
This has a strong, firm and robust stout body, and I think it's the perfect thing to hold up to the spices and the overall flavor. It doesn't thin out, nor is it too heavy. It's plenty smooth all the way, even with the powdery elements and a little dryness, and it has just the right crispness to keep it lively without interfering.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting beers out there and completely delicious. It makes me hungry.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Shared by BRoss242 during his own send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, curry, Indian food, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, curry, and meat. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I really didn’t know what to expect on this one when I first saw. Once I took my first smell of it I REALLY didn’t know what to expect. Was this dry hopped with Indian food was one of my first thoughts… I happen to like Indian food, but why does my beer smell like it? The same went on in the flavor as well as it tasted like curried meat which was quite surprising. I could see this going well with a nice dish of Indian food, but on its own, I’m not too sure about. Glad I got to experience something this strange, but doubt I will do so again.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours jet black with a brown-ish head. In the aroma, curry, cayenne pepper, and small lime citrus. In the taste, lime, small curry, and notes of cayenne pepper spice. A small spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lime cayenne pepper, and curry notes in the aftertaste. Big lime, mellow curry and big spice in the end. Different, but enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

The adjuncts in this beer work so well together. Coconut at first followed by hints of lime and a curry finish that creeps up on you. This beer's not for everyone so be sure you enjoy these ingredients before you buy it.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Best 5 October 2013. Allegedly brewed with "Madras curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and Kaffir lime."

A: A finger of creamy, brown head. The beer is black and opaque.

S: It smells savoury. It actually smells like curry and chili. What? But also milk chocolate, cumin, lemongrass, coconut milk, and fresh-mowed meadows. I am just confused, and have no idea how to rate this...

T: Uhhh. Like it smells. But more amazing. Specifically, the coconut shines, offering a singular sweetness that is unsurpassable. I am pretty much guaranteed to like anything with cayenne in it ever, but this is really something. The pepper serves to mitigate any sticky sweetness and makes the endtaste much more exciting. The curry is obvious mostly at the beginning and not particularly welcome (in general in beer). There is also cracked black pepper and an odd sweetness that could be coconut flesh, but could also be eggnog or caramel or saltwater toffee...

M: Smooth but spicy. Engaging, sort of, but mostly in the background of the thoroughly bizarre flavor.

O: I think I like it? Points for being interesting as hell, and not being entirely terrible. It pulls it off better than I thought it might. I imagine this would go well (maybe??) with actual curries and the like. If you don't like Indian food, avoid this beer.

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

Notes from San Diego trip.

A- Black body with a light, creamy mocha-tan head. Retention and size are both decent. A few spots of lace down the glass.

S- Very unique. Huge coconut, lime zest and earthy feel atop a roasty stout body. Curry and cumin as well as the roast malt, cocoa.

T- Crazy beer. A meld of big coconut, a ton of lime zest, curry and cayenne up front. Hugely earthy flavors. Cumin kicks in with warmth and the coconut starts to fade.

MF- Silky, creamy moderately thick body that is somewhat oily. Slightly hot from cayenne with some roast bitterness.

A meal beer, between the spices and roast flavors it is more like food. Fresh spice flavors are very nice. Lime cocoa interplay is cool. A beer that is surely love and hate between different people.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: This poured an opaque black with thick tan head.
S: It smelled like sticky molasses and sweet coffee and cream, with some Indian spices and peppers and chocolate.
T: It tasted like mocha and cream, with some peppers and Indian spices and sweet molasses. It had a clean sweet and spicy aftertaste.
M: It was somewhat thick with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a really unique brew, something like I would expect from DFH. The scent and taste were really complex and well balanced, although not the most delicious. The body was ok, and the finish was smooth enough, so it was pretty easy to drink. Probably not for aging. Fun to try once.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Looks like a dark beer. Yeah, dark brown, like a soft siesta. Head is beige, nice-looking, like a woman. This head is a woman.

Smell is spice-gasmic. Mildly tickles you with roast, then takes you on a cable car, presenting you with anise and clovey vistas. And nothing else.

Taste has a similar note, but a touch of roast, before it forays into spice territory, and what a Leroy Jenkinsian foray! Pepper, even chilli there, plus anise, then finish is dry, with some vanilla pods and odd herbal pepper notes as well. It is a decidedly odd chap, but one I decidedly like.

Foamy, really odd spicy notes on the back. Weird.

You meet this chap on the street. He reads you some new wave beat poetry. It's avant-garde. It's weird. I can't help but like him though. He's definitely his own beer.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a black color with a short brown head that settles into a light ring. The shade of brown was a bit different, not sure if that was due to the spices.

The nose is quite interesting. The curry really stands out, which goes nicely with the coconut. The cumin is noticable but not strong. Some roast and caramel pop through but it doesn't really get by the curry aroma. You must like curry to enjoy the aroma.

The taste is big on the curry and coconut. The roasted malt stands out more and provides a dark fruit note. The cumin and cayenne come next with the latter providing a noticable heat. Some vanilla and caramel notes as well. This really tastes like a curry dish.

The feel is moderate with prickly carbonation, drinks fairly crisp for a stout. A bit thin for a stout. Spicy on the palate with roast bitterness and heat in the finish.

This has to be a polarizing brew. You must like the spices added to like this beer. Fortunately I do and this is one of Ballast Points better "pepper series" brews. I am a little worried that the flavor profile may get cloying by the time I get to the end of the bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: Pours black with a huge dark chocolate brown head that faded into pretty much nothingness. A few spots of soapy lace was left down the glass.
S: Just after the pour this beer smells like an enticing combination of coconut and lime juice. After the head faded the curry and cumin pretty much dominate. The cayenne is noticeable too, and the lime and slight coconut are still present, but man that initial blast of coconut-lime got my hopes up.
T: Chocolaty flavors of the base stout pokes through the cumin, curry and pepper. Coconut is greasy and light, lime is juicy but even fainter. Slightly sweet finish. The pepper leaves a long lingering burn in my throat long after the swallow. Curry/cumin pretty much dominate, but the other flavors add some interesting complexity.
M: Fully body, low carbonation with a greasy and slick mouthfeel. Nice and hefty but I wish it had more carb to fluff the mouth up a bit.
O: A curry bomb. Drinkable but about halfway through I stopped liking it. They should tone back the curry and spice and turn up the lime and coconut.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

1284th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint

Thanks to GuruDel for this one.

App- A dark brown pour bordering on black with some garnet edges. A 2 finger semi brown head fell quickly and left no cling or lace behind.

Smell- Pure milk chocolate on the nose. No malty backbone just liquid diabetes. The coconut and the cumin come next. That was about it. Those flavors dominate the aromatics.

Taste- Chocolate, vanilla and coconut open this up and then oh wait hello mr. spice. My lips are now tingling from the curry and the cumin. Very well layered and balanced without the spices dominating. Alot going on in the last 1/2 of the bottle but works really well.

Mouth- A creamy medium body with a low/medium carbonation. Makes my lips tingles from the spices and the chocolate/coconut flavors remain.

Drink- Unique, layered, semi balanced. The coconut spice was a good combo for me. Very flavorful.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours near black with a thin layer of head and some retention. Nose is loaded with burnt toast, chocolate, cumin and some earthy greens. I can actually get hints of everything, mild curry and cumin spice, hints of coconut sweetness and lime, with the cayenne heat on the finish. A solid malt backbone with burnt toast, cocoa and earthy hops on the finish. Solid brew and definitely worthy to any fan of East Indian flavour.

Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point Brewing Company