2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Eye IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Big Eye IPABig Eye IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Eye IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,532 | Reviews: 936 | Show All Ratings:
fredmugs

Indiana

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

This is my first Ballast Point beer and it is horrible. I don't know if it went bad somehow. It has a date of Dec 5, 2012 and I bought it from Halftime but all of the other beers I have drank from there are great.

The beer has no hop smell at all. I detect and taste the maltiness but that's not doing much for me either. Very disappointing.

11-22-2012 00:25:36 | More by fredmugs
Chico1985

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

12oz to pint glass. Pours a clear amber with a super creamy off-white head. It retains very well and leaves nice lacing. I should have been suspicious of the noticeably little amount of bubbling going on. At least it looked great.

Mostly just getting toasty malt in the scent, very little/no hop presence.

Toasted malt/caramel is more or less the only flavor here, unless you count booze. Maybe the tiniest, tiniest bit of floral hops. Mouthfeel is syrupy on the brink of flat. Just really off, I can only assume this is a bad bottle. It has the '10' notch on the bottom so I figure it's fresh though..

Edit: Had it again on-tap, presumably fresh...not as offensive as the bottle taste, but to me still a very dull IPA. Just not getting much hop flavor here.

08-08-2010 13:57:24 | More by Chico1985
gyllstromk

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a clear, light amber. Nose is a very woody, earthy hop with light citrus and watermelon. A peculiar smell that piqued my interest. Taste starts with a hop resin, moves to an intense bitterness, and concludes with cloves and a strong earthy flavor. The hop flavor is poorly balanced, pungent, and cloying like drinking a perfume or eating a raw hop. I love the hoppy beers but this one seems like hop extracts stirred into water. Feel is perhaps wetter than the average IPA. Drinkability suffers from the intense bitterness.

Nonetheless, I can say this is a very unique beer and may impress some. It's really not my style, though, and I love American IPAs. I've heard good things about their Sculpin and can't wait to try it. This one is really out there, though.

02-27-2009 00:27:05 | More by gyllstromk
biker30x

2.68/5  rDev -34%

Poured hazy honey golden into a pint with a decent course off-white head. Nose was sour fruit with a hint of mildew. Very first taste was a pleasing assault of hops and bitterness. But the finish hinted at citrus and sour yeast. The second sip was astringent sour lemon a la lemonheads (without the sweetness). This appears to be an IPA for folks who love saisons - slightly reminiscent of Victory's Wild Devil (only less of everything). Finally finished with a lemon dish soap chemical feel.

Drain pour.

06-09-2009 02:07:17 | More by biker30x
bark

Sweden

2.8/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The colour is deep gold (24 EBC), the liquid is clear. The two finger head is off-white, it sinks quickly to a thick lid leaving some lacing on the glass.

The smell is sweet, fruity and hoppy. Hints of onions and olive oil. Grapefruits, oranges, apricots, green bananas and a touch of marzipan. Some bitterness.

The taste starts with a robust bitterness, some green berries and fruits. Oily notes of rubber, garlic and onions. Medium body. The aftertaste is smoother with some dry citric flavours, lemon and lime. Caramel-sweetness and some biscuits. The finish is bitter, dry and a bit harsh.

The carbonation is medium to mild, the shirt-lived bubbles smooth. The liquid is a bit thick and quite sticky.

A thick and oily AIPA with some disturbing garlic flavours.

10-15-2013 19:08:37 | More by bark
sobuf

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

So I was on a Ballast Point quest this weekend. I had Bigeye first, then tried the over-hyped Sculpin. But lets touch on the Bigeye. I don't really care what my beer looks like, it's all about the taste. And this ale is VERY average, kind of bland, and forgettable. Much like Sculpin, the bitter aftertaste is extremely off-putting. In fact, the bitterness of this offering over-powers any other taste. If somebody offered me this beer, I'd drink it, but would never go out of my way to buy it again. I've been completely disapointed with Ballast Point - there's so much hype - but so little to take from the ales. Other than bitter and hard to drink. A craft brew should be exceptional - to be honest a larger brewery like Sierra Nevada has offerings that blow this away. (think Torpedo). Not to mention a top end crafter. Do't go out of your way to try this one.

03-15-2014 18:59:55 | More by sobuf
BlindPig

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

A- 1/2" off white head. Clear amber copper color.
S- Citrus hops, malts in back and thats pretty much it.
T- Citrus hops seem a little unusual in flavor. Malt in back. Some floral hops too. Light bitterness aftertaste.
M- Medium body, light/medium carbonation
D-Kind of blah. Almost tastes off but I don't think it is. Don't like it much at all.

09-19-2006 01:23:50 | More by BlindPig
RockyRaku

Arizona

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

The appealing coopery color poured with a thin creamy head at first with nice lacing. The head diminished. The aroma hit me with a sweet estery (more sweet than spicey) aroma, slightly bready. Overall appealing nose. The taste was piney..earthy bitter on the back of the tongue that seemed to sustain itself between swigs. Light-medium body with light and crisp carbonation.

12-16-2012 18:58:35 | More by RockyRaku
VMWhelan

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 16oz Sierra Nevada tumbler.

Pours a cloudy deep amber color with very little head and some pretty solid lacing.

Smells very sweet, not incredibly hoppy. Definite orange notes and a little bit of caramel.

Slightly bitter, hop presence is light in the taste as well. Orange is prominent in this one, especially in the finish: more natural than artificial. Not agressive in the least bit.

Mouthfeel is medium to light. Medium carbonation as well.

Drinkability is average. They go down pretty easily and I could drink a few, I'm just not sure I'd want to.

Overall this is a pretty average IPA. I've had worse but I've had much better. That said, I think IPAs are pretty standard for the most part, only a few really stick out, but those that do make the style one of my favorites. Big Eye is not one of those IPAs.

01-11-2011 21:40:48 | More by VMWhelan
IntriqKen

Poured a deep clear amber color with a medium white single finger head of largish bubbles that melts rather quickly to a very fine lacing.
Aroma is immediately sweet oranges or tangerines with maybe a little carmel.
Mouthfeel is full with tiny carbonation and a faint alcohol burn as you swallow.
Taste is strangely different from aroma....a rich sweet malt followed immediately with sweet orange or tangerine finishing with a citrus peel drying and bitterness.
Not a favorite of mine for an IPA, but mainly because of the discrepency between aromas and taste taking away from an otherwise balanced brew.

04-19-2006 02:36:13 | More by IntriqKen
Minkybut

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was cloudy with a bit of an orange hue to it. The beer was hoppy smelling and hoppy tasting ike it ought to be I guess. The beer also had great lacing up and down the glass. I guess this must be a great IPA according to the ratings, however I did not care for it and will not buy again.

10-05-2008 20:13:17 | More by Minkybut
hwwty4

Missouri

Thanks to Overlord for this one.

I've always been hesitant to buy Big Eye IPA in the stores in KS because it never seems to ever move. I was happy to find this in my recent package from Overlord. Poured a 12oz long neck into my Brother Thelonious goblet. This beer pours a aged pumpkin orange with a bright creamy 3 inch cap that threatens to over pour at any minute. The nose is very orangey. Orange pith with a bit of grapefruit. More like fresh oranges then sweet orange juice. Fairly one dimensional. The flavor is very similar. Very orangey, a bit of tangerine and pith. A mild sweetness hits the back of the palate for a fleeting second. Almost a candy sugar sweetness. The mouthfeel is disappointing. Its light and airy, slightly full and fades rather quickly. Not very dry. Overall, this would really fall under the average craft section. Its a shame, cause I love me some Sculpin.

10-13-2010 23:58:37 | More by hwwty4
rdilauro

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Ok, right from the start I know I was not going to be impressed. I guess it started with the package label. Something about it, just throw me off a bit.
While pouring, I couldn't detect any real outstanding aromas. There was some hops, a decent amount, I could almost feel the barley, but for me it was just put together.
The taste was a taste thats it, not bad, not great.
The one part I was disappointed in was the after taste. Basically there was none. And I always want a strong finish.

01-26-2012 00:45:41 | More by rdilauro
DNICE555

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Picked up this bottle at Julio's in MA

Amber with a crazy head. Nice lacing.

S - Floral, heavy on the citrus.

T - Bitter citrus. Not a huge fan. Not as hoppy as I'd like.

M - Too heavy on the citrus. Almost makes my mouth pucker.

D - Couldn't have too many of these.

11-03-2009 04:13:44 | More by DNICE555
PirateUlf73

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a mug.

A: Comes out clear and golden amber. Got about two fingers of sticky, white head that refused to die. Quite good, quite good.

S: Hops of a citrus and grassy variety jump out and take over. Seriously, I could smell little else. Hops had a nice floral quality which I liked.

T: Again, hoppy. The taste was a bit more piney and resin-like than the nose suggested, and the aftertaste was extremely bitter, bordering on unpleasant. There was dominating, astringent quality that put me off somewhat.

M: On the heavier side of light-bodied. Carbonation was crisp and the malt construction helped was down the hop bitterness with admirable gusto, minus the aftertaste.

D: Certainly very drinkable. Went down fairly smooth.

I had this beer a while ago and thought that it tasted funny. With this tasting, I can proudly say that my previous assessment has stayed exactly the same. For what it's worth, this is a very well constructed beer. However, something about the taste did not agree with me. Others might feel differently though. I like IPAs as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd pick this up again.

01-29-2009 07:54:05 | More by PirateUlf73
prdstmnky

Vermont

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours with a fairly clear, golden amber body and a nice 2 fingers of frothy white head that has a few minutes of retention and leaves lots of lacing on my pint glass. Some citrus in the nose, but I seem to be getting more malts than I care to in an IPA. I get a nice hop bite on the tongue initially, but gives way to the caramel malts I detected in the nose. I do get a bitter, dry finish on this which is nice but I just cant get over the malt forward flavor in this beer. Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

I have no idea how fresh this is, since there is no dating. This is the 2nd time trying this beer (once with the old label, and this with the new labeling). I think I heard that Ballast Point will be dating their offerings sometime this year, so maybe I'll give it another try then with a re-review...until then, please date your beers (especially hoppy styles) brewers!

01-21-2011 02:32:29 | More by prdstmnky
AnthonyMcConnell

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

This is my first review!

A - Warm/clear Copper, well-carbonated, nice lace on glass

S - Citrus, slightly piney

T - Grapefruit, mild hops

M - Moderate, sticky

O - Very great IPA! More hops please! I am always impressed with Ballast Point. I prefer Sculpin over Big Eye but really enjoyed each.

09-23-2012 08:11:42 | More by AnthonyMcConnell
mpedara429

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Poured out an amber color with two fingers of frothy, off white head. Good retention, only a little bit of lacing.

S: Malty and floral with a little pine and citrus. A little faint.

T: Sweet citrus and bitter pine. Very well balanced. A boozy bite at the end.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation. A little sticky.

O: A good IPA, but I won't go for it again. I was truly expecting more out of it. It was pretty basic for something so pricey. There are better IPA options out there.

10-21-2012 20:23:52 | More by mpedara429
jujubeast6000

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Reviewed 1/1/2009 (bottle):

Pours a clear golden amber color body with a huge foamy whitish head, big bubbles and good lacing. Piney citrusy aroma, lemon. Some bitter dryness. Hoppy bitter maltiness. Watery palate, a little bitter. Some biter maltiness. Goes okay with buffalo chicken.

01-13-2009 05:26:41 | More by jujubeast6000
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Just like its big brother, the Dorado IIPA, this was a very disappointing IPA. Not the least bit balanced. It's like they added the entire amount of hops in the recipe as soon as the wort began to boil, and to hell with aroma hops.

The beer pours to a golden amber color with a thin white head. Retention could be better, and lacing is fairly spotty. No visible carbonation. Even a tad bit hazy.

The smell is good, but nothing to write home about. Smells like over caramelized sticky sweet malt with a rough cohumulone hops bitterness. Has the distinct floral scent of centennial hops, but it is very feint in comparison to the malt profile.

The taste is just as I expected. Sweet caramel malt up front. Followed by a rough bitterness. Only a hint of floral hop aroma in the rear with a lasting bitterness. Very ashy. I love hops, but where is the balance? Tastes more like a double IPA, and still not a good one at that.

The beer seems over carbonated on the palate, making it difficult to distinguish the consistency of the body. On top of that, the over caramelized malt tends to clash with the hops. There is a bit of piney bitterness that lingers forever, leaving a very dry and ashy feeling in my throat. I will struggle to drink the whole bomber. I took a chance buying this beer after not liking the Dorado IIPA, but I don't think I will ever bother with the rest of the Ballast Point line-up.

01-19-2007 03:07:30 | More by neonbrown82
callmescraps

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Got this as a consolation prize after Sculpin eluded me. I do love centennial hops though, so I'm hopeful.

Appearance - Very nice deep copper/amber color. A solid almost two inches of soapy off-white head. Nice lacing. Looks great.

Smell - Some nice grapefruit up front. Some floral and citrus as well. But it's all overwhelmed by burnt candy malts. Ton of sweet malt smell, just overpowering.

Taste - Like the smell. It starts off w/nice citrus and hop. But then it goes down a sweet candy malt road that I don't feel like following. It finishes very, very bitter. Much more pine than expected. Not a ton of balance here. Also, a weird wangy astringency.

Mouthfeel - A tad thin, but not too bad.

Drinkability - It's not hard to drink if this is your style of IPA, but it isn't mine.

Color me disappointed. Too much malt, too much bitterness, not enough balance for me. Just not a great beer. Seems to be lacking a lot of complexity. I'll have to wait and see if Ballast Point has something better to offer.

05-17-2009 05:29:05 | More by callmescraps
CHSLBrew

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

On-tap on the patio at Coronado del Mar in San Diego. Poured into a clear plastic cup, but whatever, the beer still tasted good :D

A-Nice, consistent off-white head, maybe not the largest when it arrived due to a full-glass pour. Beer was an attractive, glowing amber, with a hint of chill haze.

S-Bright citrus-piney aroma, with not much for a malt presence.

T-Dripping with a piney hop flavor, with a splash of citrus. Malt flavors are quite dry, biscuity with a hint of toastiness. Hop flavors continue to assert themselves into the finish, which remains firmly bitter and lightly fruity. Overall, quite a lot of hop bitterness.

M-Nothing spectacular. Carbonation seemed a bit high, but the body was about right.

D-Drinkable enough. As stated, it's certainly not a spectacular beer, but it's still solid and enjoyable.

09-22-2010 18:59:25 | More by CHSLBrew
GCBrewery

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

A- Lots of floating sediments, off white head, pretty cloudy, not typical for a non-bottle conditioned IPA

S- Piney and orangey, pleasant enough

T- Starts fair and pleasing, picking up bitter orange peel and pine, finishes way too bitter for my liking, almost like a chemical bitterness

M- Kind of flabby but and lots of carbonation, nothing special

O- Definitely expecting more out of this beer, maybe a poor or outdated batch? (couldn't find a bottling/canning date). Maybe will give it a chance of redemption in the future with a new batch but wouldn't buy this again.

Serving type: can

03-16-2014 00:17:53 | More by GCBrewery
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Bottle courtesy of Overlord.

Brownish golden pour with a small head and some carbonation present.

Smells very hoppy yet malty at the same time. Actually reminds me of a barleywine with the way it smells. There is a definite presence of some fruit in the smell.

Tastes pretty hoppy but there's that dark fruit again. Man, this reminds me of a hoppy barleywine. Not crazy about the hops in this one. They taste sort of off to me.

Glad I got to give this California regional a go. Decent IPA but certainly not elite. Thanks for the bottle, Overlord!

01-27-2008 20:00:55 | More by Tilley4
CJthirty7

Arizona

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Serving: Ceramic Coffee Mug
Place: Work
Music in the background: Someone on hold.

All I have to say is tang. Hoppy sour apple tang. Does make the work day go by though. Head, smell, color is all normal. I'm almost wondering if I left some 3-day old coffee in the bottom of my mug.

05-29-2009 22:33:45 | More by CJthirty7