1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

San Salvador Black Lager - Ballast Point Brewing Company

San Salvador Black Lager
No picture uploaded.

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  6.90% ABV

Winter San Salvador is a black lager made with California Barley, Juniper Front Community Garden Bay Leaf, coastal harvested Black Sage, Carlsbad Aqua Farms Luna Oysters, and Star B Ranch Ramona Nugget Hops. Inspired by the Schwarzbier's of Germany, we used some German specialty malts and lager yeast. 6.9% ABV and 23 IBU's. This lager is our winter version of the San Salvador series. We looked for indigenous and local ingredients available during the frigid San Diego winter.

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-25-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3 | Reviews: 1 | Show All Ratings:
HopHead84

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

5/25/2012

On tap at Home Brew Mart. Unfortunately, there's no option for American Dark Lager so I guess this will go under American Pale Lager, which it's not.

A: Reddish dark brown with a fast fading beige head.

S: Sage, sweet chocolate, bay leaf, and roasted grains. Clean aroma with notes of earth. There's a little pine as well.

T: Chocolate and sage with a mild roasted malt presence. I don't taste oyster. Lightly bitter with earth and licorice. I think I get some bay leaf.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I didn't like this very much. I think the thought of it being brewed with oyster might have had something to do with it, but I also didn't like the mixture of flavors.

05-25-2012 21:22:36 | More by HopHead84
San Salvador Black Lager from Ballast Point Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.