San Salvador Black Lager - Ballast Point Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-25-2012

Winter San Salvador is a black lager made with California Barley, Juniper Front Community Garden Bay Leaf, coastal harvested Black Sage, Carlsbad Aqua Farms Luna Oysters, and Star B Ranch Ramona Nugget Hops. Inspired by the Schwarzbier's of Germany, we used some German specialty malts and lager yeast. 6.9% ABV and 23 IBU's. This lager is our winter version of the San Salvador series. We looked for indigenous and local ingredients available during the frigid San Diego winter.
2.85/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

5/25/2012

On tap at Home Brew Mart. Unfortunately, there's no option for American Dark Lager so I guess this will go under American Pale Lager, which it's not.

A: Reddish dark brown with a fast fading beige head.

S: Sage, sweet chocolate, bay leaf, and roasted grains. Clean aroma with notes of earth. There's a little pine as well.

T: Chocolate and sage with a mild roasted malt presence. I don't taste oyster. Lightly bitter with earth and licorice. I think I get some bay leaf.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I didn't like this very much. I think the thought of it being brewed with oyster might have had something to do with it, but I also didn't like the mixture of flavors. (706 characters)

San Salvador Black Lager from Ballast Point Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.