Grapefruit Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Grapefruit Sculpin IPAGrapefruit Sculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: arfenhouse on 01-19-2013

Our Award-winning IPA, with a citrus twist.
Our Grapefruit Sculpin is the latest take on our signature IPA. Some may say there are few ways to improve Sculpin’s unique flavor, but the tart freshness of grapefruit perfectly complements our IPA’s citrusy hop character. Grapefruit’s a winter fruit, but this easy-drinking ale tastes like summer.

The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. It showcases bright flavors and aromas of apricot, peach, mango & lemon. The lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin fish is considered some of the tastiest. Something that has a sting but tastes great; sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale. This version of our Sculpin IPA has grapefruit added; the grapefruit flavor really enhances the citrus aroma of the hops.
to view more.
Ratings: 3,153 | Reviews: 534
4.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, orange amber colored with a huge white head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: huge ripe pink grapefruit nose, lots of citrus hops

T: it's an already amazing beer turnt up with grapefruit, grapefruit on grapefruit, with grapefruit peel

M: sticky with good carbonation

O: an already excellent beer made better with the addition of more grapefruit flavors, buy it and rejoice in it's excellence

3.42/5  rDev -21.4%

Too strong of a hip flavor for me

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer really lived up to the hype for me. Great grapefruit flavor , great bite! Love it!

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a single from TW Arrowhead in early April for $2.99. Bottled on 15069 or 3-10-2015.

Beer poured golden orange with a small white head that dissipated quickly.

Nose is wonderful, grapefruit and tropical fruits are pungent.

Taste is dominated by a nice subtle grapefruit hop with mango and peach taking a secondary role. Proper resinous bitterness lingers on after the sip.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lively, and refreshing.

Overall this is a nice twist on the traditional Sculpin recipe. Would do again!

4.73/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Golden body shows some haze. Holds a very thin cover of white foam that doesn't look like it's going to lace or last. I'm proven wrong deeper into the glass as it holds and gives up a spot or two of lace.

Aroma: Big punchy hops, citric is mostly sharp grapefruit juice and rind. The fun part is that it is candied, with enough clean malt support that can carry all that citric and hop acid.

Taste: Big juicy grapefruit, tangy, sharp, finishes with a bit of tonic water that ends up being clean and refreshing. There's a bit of sweetness that slowly melts away, light malt with just a hint of toffee.

Mouthfeel: Dry finish borders on painful. Acidic burn lingers and has a whiff of alcohol. Medium heavy body, low carbonation.

Overall: I've been putting a slice of grapefruit into regular Sculpin as I haven't had access to this version. My try always killed the head (as, this also seems to struggle with), and my try was a bit fresher but this has a deeper richer flavor. I'm thinking less juice, more rind or pith. However it's done, the result is pretty darn tasty. Pricy, but worth the splurge.

4.09/5  rDev -6%

I don't like IPAs. I don't particularly like grapefruit. This beer, though, is tart yet fruity, strong, yet smooth. I don't have the palette to really appreciate everything about it, but I can taste it and know that this is a beer worthy of its acclaim.

4.09/5  rDev -6%

L: clear Amber with a one finer head that dissipated into a thin collar. S: not surprisingly it is similar to regular sculpin with apricot and mango, but with more grapefruit. T: again, similar to regular sculpin but with more grapefruit. I get a lot of grapefruit pith and peel, as opposed to juicy flesh. Apricot, mango and peach as well, with a strong malt backbone. But the grapefruit pith predominates. Lingering pithy bitterness and some sweetness from the malts. A very good IPA, just not my IPA. I prefer the regular Sculpin.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer initially caught me eye because it was ranked #3 in Paste Magazine's blind taste test of 100 IPAs - and I like grapefruit. It was more than I usually spend on a six-pack but I had to try it. And it did not disappoint. I am sipping one right now, slowly, because I am in no hurry to finish it - even though I have five more in the fridge! It's everything I like about an IPA but one-upped with the grapefruit. And - the grapefruit, to me, wasn't in your face. Will be a great special occasion sipping beer for me.

4.02/5  rDev -7.6%

A-a clear orange amber color with visible carbonation bubbles and a fingers worth of white head

S-caramel malt, grapefruit, and light tropical fruits

T-similar to the smell, lots of grapefruit up front with some tropical fruit sweetness and a light caramel malt base

M-medium body, moderate carbonation

Overall very drinkable, nice grapefruit presence

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very very grapefruity. . similar to a lot of east coast IPA'S, just a lot more grapefruit towards the end. . Definitely recommended

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been tasting beer for less than a year. This is one of the best IPAs I've had. Grapefruit should've tried harder to taste like this. Other IPAs since have pale aled in comparison.

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Great tasting beer especially on a warm day.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, its a huge improvement on regular sculpin. The beer starts out smelling super zesty, huge citrus part, with lots of hops just like the normal. Big grapefruit taste makes this just soar in terms of flavor and satisfaction. 10 thumbs up!

4.16/5  rDev -4.4%

Smells of sweet grapefruit, tastes very grapefruity and then a solid bitter hoppy finish.

4.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great brew. The grapefruit is perfect in this beer. It is present without becoming overwhelming and doesn't taste artificial. Great twist on an already phenomenal beer!

4.87/5  rDev +12%

If you love grapefruit this is a perfect beer for you. Even if you don't like grapefruit this is one outstanding IPA and doesn't disappoint. I do love grapefruit so this brew goes near the top of my list.

3.45/5  rDev -20.7%

Meh just not my bag.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - Clear with just a hint of cloudiness

Smell - Smells amazing, like grapefruit.

Taste - Starts with a great IPA taste, then the grapefruit comes in and finishes it very nicely. A perfect combination.

Overall an excellent beer.

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought at Dunkin Donuts in Milton ($14.99 six pack) and poured into a teku glass. A beautiful completely clear golden-apricot color with a finger of almost pure white tight bubbles that leaves nice lace. Aroma was not really pronounced but contained nice citrus and caramel. Taste is wonderful and follows the nose, but more pronounced citrus, followed by a fair bit of bitterness. Mouth is good, clean, refreshing, makes you want more. Overall, a fantastic IPA and great to find in my small town.

4.24/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I normally shy away from flavored beers but I love Sculpin and this version is an interesting variation on a great brew.

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice orangey amber. with a frothy 3 finger head that leaves lovely sticky lacing coating the sides of the glass.. Smells of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with just a hint of lemon on the end. Tastes just like it smells,very juicy grapefruit with a twist of lemmon and a bit of apricot.

Having had regular Sculpin and Habanero Sculpin before, I am surprised I am not picking up any of the wet grassy dankness of regular scupin. The citrus totally covers it here. Even though the burn of habaneros in Habanero Sculpin there is still the sharp herbal flavor in the background. Not here, I am not picking up any of Sculpins regular flavor here. To me that is a good thing, and this is the best version of Sculpin that I have experienced.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The first time I tasted this I thought it was a novelty that would wear off. First thing I noticed was I didn't like the regular Sculpin as much. Then I noticed I started comparing every IPA I tasted to this one. Guess I'm hooked!

2.61/5  rDev -40%

This is all grapefruit rind, to the point of being unpleasant. An unfortunate miss for all brewey that puts out many other great beers. And everyone seems to be slurping this stuff up like it's God's cum, so it will make them a ton of money to make better beer.

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not more else to say but they took a great Sculpin IPA and added the grapefruit/citrus hint to the brew; most excellent!!

4.22/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours clear gold color with bubbles racing up the middle like champagne, leading to a foamy off white 2 finger thick head that faded slowly and left decent foamy lacing.

Smells just like a grapefruit that was just split in half, with strong citrus aromas including lemon zest, orange peel, tangerine, coriander, then some light caramel, biscuit, graham cracker and dry herbs or floral hops. An outstanding job to make this beer smell like grapefruit, it is a complete success.

Tastes like it smells with very strong grapefruit shocking your palate and then continuing with a blitz of citrus that is very pungent and fruity with lemon, orange peel, tangerine, grapefruit pith, coriander, starfruit, light caramel, biscuit, graham cracker, pine cone/piney hops, pepper or light dry herbal spices and floral hops. Somehow there is balance even though the citrus is so powerful, which tames the bitterness and makes this quite easy to drink while hiding the ABV completely.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and zesty, with light, fizzy carbonation and a slightly bitter aftertaste that finishes on the clean side. It's very summery and crisp, would make for a great summer session beer. For a beer with this much grapefruit involved, the mild bitterness was a welcomed surprise and made it pretty easy to drink.

A very good beer, but I like the original Sculpin much better.

to view more.