Grapefruit Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Grapefruit Sculpin IPAGrapefruit Sculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: arfenhouse on 01-19-2013

Our Award-winning IPA, with a citrus twist.
Our Grapefruit Sculpin is the latest take on our signature IPA. Some may say there are few ways to improve Sculpin’s unique flavor, but the tart freshness of grapefruit perfectly complements our IPA’s citrusy hop character. Grapefruit’s a winter fruit, but this easy-drinking ale tastes like summer.

The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. It showcases bright flavors and aromas of apricot, peach, mango & lemon. The lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin fish is considered some of the tastiest. Something that has a sting but tastes great; sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale. This version of our Sculpin IPA has grapefruit added; the grapefruit flavor really enhances the citrus aroma of the hops.
to view more.
Ratings: 3,065 | Reviews: 518
Reviews by Devinph:

I happen to think it's extraordinary. I have really enjoyed every ballast point beer I have had so far and this one is out of the park. The Julian date on the bottle reads 15057. Pours very clear and orange with a bone white head of foam that held well and left handsome lacing. Nose is so authentic with grapefruit. it's heady with it, then for perfume it has the scent of fresh orange. A bit of twiggy and woody pine. It smells so fresh and tantalizing. Drinks like a an ocean breeze. All that tantalizing citrus. The orange is bright and light. The grapefruit is something wonderful. It has all the flavor of a real grapefruit but none of the pucker or bitterness of it. it's like they took all that flavor and sweetened it just enough. The malt is elusive but a touch sweet with honey and so soft that it simply cascades over your tongue. Mouthfeel approaches medium but is still wonderfully light with just enough weight from that honey malt to satisfy the palate in a very sensual way. Right before the swallow is this breezy little spritz from carbonation that is so whimsical it made me laugh out loud. It's as though you got a little sea mist at the back of your throat. Perfect crisp finish that brings a little bit of the fruit rind a touch of bitterness to end this amazing beer. It's so good.

Hmmm. Wish I knew what was going on here. I have tried Sculpin a few times now and get little of what others are talking about. It seems too light bodied and subtle for me in comparison to like-style beers like Stone and Lagunitas. So, perhaps the citrus bite of grapefruit will enhance it? It did, but not enough. Still too light bodied for my personal preference. I really enjoy so many of Ballast Point's offerings that this baffles me. Chalk it up to individual palate issues...

4.19/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Exactly what I expected from a grapefruit IPA... has nice ruby pink color, grapefruit smell and taste... only downside was lost some of the "bite" that I enjoy from regular sculpin.

Are you kidding me ? This beer is unbelievable. As in unbelievably, ridiculously fantastic !!! If you love IPA's and the more citrusy the better then you will have hit the jackpot with this one. Thank you so much Ballast Point !

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The Grapefruit taste stood out but was balanced perfect.

This was a really good beer, One I will drink over and over again.

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoy this IPA... just the right amount of grapefruit flavor and bitterness. I prefer this to the regular sculpin

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice golden-orange color with awesome head and lacing that clings and holds on for dear life. Had this last night and I was not disappointed. This beer is so grapefruit forward that it is insane. The malt, hops and citrus come together so well, one of my all-time favorites !!

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden orange in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation and hints of amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy beige head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of citrus/grapefruit, slightly sweet grainy malts, and hops - citrus/grapefruit zest, citrus/grapefruit pith, and citrus/grapefruit hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of moderately sweet grainy malts with moderate to strong flavors of grapefruit juice. That is followed by slightly stronger than moderate flavors of citrus/grapefruit zest, citrus/grapefruit pith, and citrus/grapefruit hops which impart a moderate amount of bitterness which lingers for quite a while.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp with light amounts of dryness in the finish

O: As someone that really loves a fresh Sculpin, I was surprised that I could enjoy the grapefruit Sculpin even more but aroma for this one is absolutely delicious. Alcohol is well hidden and it is easy to drink and extremely enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

L - At the pour it looks good. White head, good lacing. Very clear body.

S - Smell is some hops but nothing outstanding or exceptional. Some grapefruit, but grapefruit juice...not citrusy.

T - When I saw 'grapefruit,' I naturally thought Citra hop citrus. But this is much more of a 'grapefruit juice added' taste.

F - Feel is as expected with the style. Again nothing out of the ordinary or knock your socks off.

O - There's a lot of hype for this, riding on the coat tails of Sculpin. This doesn't live up to it's predecessor. It was free, if I had an option between two free beers...I wouldn't take this.

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a dark amber orange.

The aroma explodes out of the glass of grapefruit juice. Ruby red grapefruit. Barely anything else.

The flavor is less aggressive with the grapefruit in the front. Pink grapefruit candy, a bit of grapefruit flesh, and the fruit's bitterness. A touch of malt in the middle and caramel sweetness. On the back, decent pine bitterness and grapefruit peel flavor.

A wonderful beer that really does elevate and compliment the base.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

After being disappointed with the regular Sculpin IPA I was wondering if maybe I bought an old bottle that wasn't fresh. I heard this is a beer that you want to drink fresh. I just recently received this Grapefruit version in a trade and I'm definitely impressed. The smell is pure ruby red grapefruit and the taste is the perfect complement of grapefruit and citrusy, piney hops. The malt backbone that seemed to be missing when I had the regular sculpin has appeared enough not to make this beer a hop bomb. I would definitely want to buy more of this beer and would like to try a regular Sculpin again to see if I was missing something.

Had regular Sculpin fresh and on tap and I definitely had an old bottle. The beer was excellent.

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

First sip.. Wtf! Excellent play of grapefruit and classic west coast ipa. Amazing beer.

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a brilliantly clear, golden, honey color. Large layer of perfectly white foam, quickly fades to a very thin layer with good cling. Smell is pure citrus, grapefruit (duh), and slight resin. Taste is very fruity and very citrusy. The bitterness is there, but it's rather mild compared to the strong grapefruit notes. Bitterness grows as the taste fades to the finish where it lingers with strong pine notes. Very smooth, medium bodied, and high carbonation.

This beer is similar to the original Sculpin, however the balance between pine and citrus has been tilted way to the favor of the citrus, which is not a bad thing. Very good IPA, will try again.

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I enjoyed this on tap at the fridge, served chilled in a pint glass. review from notes.

The color is a resplendent golden amber with good clarity, visibly carbonated with thick white cap with ultra fine bead. Streamers of lace stick. The smell of grapefruit is expressed so well in in that putting your nose up to the fruit in the citrus section way. The smell of grapefruit is strong, go figure with light pine and a mild orange with floral hints and light malt in the aroma with subtle alcohol. The feel has moderately bitter entry with light citrus tangy and mild sweet with a caramel element with medium high carbonation and light alcohol with mostly dry finish.

The taste is excellent with the tangy citrus and grapefruit flavor very fresh and intense with a slight orange -like and mild floral hop quality with slight piney bitter taste. The hops are backed by a slight malt adding gentle sweetness with semi-toasted taste of malt and nicely bitter grapefruit flavor into the finish. This is a great IPA and the grapefruit is a natural flavor addition but actually enhances the original Sculpin, certainly does not detract from one of the best American IPA's

3.16/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bit on the sweet side. Middle has mandarin/orange rind notes. Was expecting a bit more from this as regular sculpin is great.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is an extremely delicious and interesting beer. If you like grapefruit (I love it) you can't go wrong.

The most interesting part of this beer, besides the sheer amount of grapefruit taste and smell, is that it somehow feels like you're drinking juice. I can't even describe why or how that is, but it's unlike any beer I've ever had in that regard.

Just a great brew if you like grapefruit, and maybe even if you don't since they synergize so well.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

I can't decide whether I like this more or less than regular Sculpin, but it's a nice twist. The grapefruit isn't too prominent, and just lends a little fruity acid zest to the beer. Perhaps a little more refreshing than Sculpin, not quite as good from a pure hoppy perspective? Either way, if you like regular Sculpin, I highly recommend giving this a shot; compulsively drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks great, smells great...that's about it. I've tried the Sculpins many times, draught, cans, bottles...I don't understand the ratings. Overly bitter and one dimensional, not much going on. Maybe it's better super fresh out in San Diego, but this isn't even close to as good as the best IPA's out there, never mind beyond outstanding.

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dull brass with a thinner white head atop.Obviously grapefruit in the nose but not overly sharp,some toasted grain is there as well.Not overly bitter and/or sharp on the palate just fresh and juicy frutiness from the grapefruit with a surprising toasted bready malty base.Love this beer,again not overly bitter but fresh and very drinkable for the size.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

The perfect hot day beer. Smell is all grapefruit, taste is all grapefruit (with some sculpin) and it all goes down incredibly smooth. Try to get this guy within 2 months and I guarantee you won't be dissapointed. Really is one of the best beers ever.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Pretty tasty, this would make a great summer IPA

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, w/o any freshness indication that I can find.

Pretty typical IPA presentation, clear, lighter amber, loose and small bubble head, leaves better then ample froth and spots and strands of lace behind.

The nose is where things get really interesting. Surprise...grapefruit and more grapefruit. Quite pungent and pleasant.

Who amongst us does not revel in and enjoy a super grapefruit infused flavor bomb of a beer?

Delicious and to be savored till the last drop...

4.06/5  rDev -6.7%

On release, I was only able to get 2-12oz bottles from my craft beer store. Initially, I thought this was fantastic. Nice grapefruit flavor added bitterness to the already great Sculpin. I found another store later that week that sold me a six pack. After having 4 of these, I don't think it was as good as I initially thought it was. The grapefruit kills all the nice stuff that Sculpin is. A well balanced Sculpin now tastes like a grapefruit radler. While still well done, I've revamped my rating to 4-ish from 4.5.

4.04/5  rDev -7.1%

Big Sculpin fan but have not had yet in 2015. Picked up 3 bottles of Sculpin reg, grapefruit and jalapeño. Will be interesting to try all 3, but orig is very good. Will try not to be influenced by previous but I think that will be hard to do... Started with gf and it absolutely is (grapefruit) from start to finish. Aroma is nice and strong gf but more sweet and florally than bitter. Big foam that quickly settled to a good layer. Seems easier drinking than the reg Sculpin, milder hops that allows the gf flavor to come through. Obvious well made beer like a 2 hearted, super smooth bringing out the intended flavor(s). The aroma remains strong while drinking, as I was drinking from a tulip glass, and leads right into the mouth with the same flavor. The sweet gf fades and you are left with a (good) bitter taste, more gf than hops. I liked that the gf was imparted well but it def overwhelms any hop flavor. You need to have an open mind in this one to enjoy. I would drink again but prob not buy more than one at a time.

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Nice amber color with some haziness. A quarter inch of off white head is present. Brussels lacing. Nice citrus and grapefruit aroma is greeting my nose. The flavor is an intense blend of citrus and grapefruit. The mouth is moderately carbonated,crisp,and refreshing.

to view more.