Buffalo Butt - Yellow Rose Brewing Company

Buffalo ButtBuffalo Butt

Yellow Rose Brewing Company
Texas, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-28-2002)
Reviews by assurbanipaul:
assurbanipaul

1.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Thin head that dissipates quickly into an attractive, cloudy brown ale. Carbonation is evident, aroma is of strong yeast, malt and alcohol and the taste is the same and less. Sour, yeasty, medium on the palate and fades fast with little aftertaste (thankfully).

I also think this is not a wheat beer but should be classified as an unfiltered brown ale. Perhaps one that has had a dead fish floating in it for a few hours, but not a wheat beer.

05-29-2003 19:56:37 | More by assurbanipaul
AtrumAnimus

1st things 1st – Great label and name – Buffalo Butt – Everything it is cracked up to be.

Pours a very coppery brown with a thin short lived head. It has a vary fruit malty nose with a tinge of hops. The flavor is in high contrast to the nose. Very dry malt that is almost tart on the palate with a mild level of hopping. The texture is very smooth like a softened water. Overall a moderately satisfying beer. Not great – but from the story on the bottle a definite throwback to the historical types of beer making that Texas has seen.

07-04-2003 12:49:27 | More by AtrumAnimus
Pegasus

3.08/5  rDev +37.5%

Hazy brown color with lots of carbonation and a modest off-white head, lots of broken lace. This beer is unfiltered, accounting for its rather cloudy appearance. Extremely strong apple cider aroma, on the edge of overpowering. Taste begins with sweet maltiness and a sting of carbonation, tart citrus hops towards the middle moderate the sweet flavor, at the finish the wheat flavor finally comes through. The taste improves somewhat as the beer warms, the aroma fades a bit and the wheat flavors assert themselves a little more strongly. Not at all like any wheat beer I have had, this is beer all unto itself. Unfortunately, its only mediocre.

Packaged reviewed was a 16 ounce brown glass longneck. Though listed as a product of the now defunct Yellow Rose Brewery in San Antonio, this beer and the other members of the Yellow Rose line are brewed by The Great Grains Brewery of Dallas, Texas. The label depicts the posterior of Bos Bison, the American Bison, surely unique among beer bottle label art.

10-28-2002 18:43:21 | More by Pegasus
allengarvin

1.4/5  rDev -37.5%

Found a bottle on sale at a Red Colemans. This brewery is defunct, and had legendary quality control problems, but I thought I might as well review it since I only paid a buck for it.

Pours out a pale coppery-brown brown color with moderate but fading head. Aroma is sharply tart, green apples (not quite ripe even) and a slight maltiness. Flavor is overwhelmingly sour, very dry. Not much else here. Powdery texture and a very thin, watery mouthfeel.

There was a time when this beer was ok, but the last 6 months or year's worth were obviously infected. Yet the brewery kept turning out sour, awful beers. Don't buy this unless it's cheap and you want it for the label.

06-07-2005 01:52:35 | More by allengarvin
kbub6f

2.45/5  rDev +9.4%

It's with a tiny bit of sadness that I write my last Great Grains review: I've now had all the GG, Hill Country by GG and Yellow Rose by GG brews. I haven't reviewed them all on BA, but I don't plan on going back and redrinking the ones I haven't reviewed. If I ever get a chance to try these fresh off the line, I'll do it. Otherwise, this is it.

Bought locally (Whip In coolers), a couple of weeks in my fridge, reviewed 45F-65F.

As is the custom, I poured violently to get a small off-white head that dies fast. Surprisingly, it leaves some decent lacing. The beer is cloudy, orangey red/brown.

The nose is sour apples (surprise!) and hints of chocolate. The front is sweetish with apples showing in the middle. The finish is dry, bitter, with a nutty/chocolatey aftertaste. The feel is flattish, but tingly (due to the sourness?). Overall, Buffalo Butt exhibits fairly typical GG nastiness. Not nearly as nasty as some, though. And maybe it's just nostalgia, maybe just tolerance... but having had them all, I'm starting to be able to taste past the funk to find some good in these brews. In my quest for completeness, I may have actually become acclimated.

03-31-2003 09:07:54 | More by kbub6f
Morris729

3.5/5  rDev +56.3%

According to the label, this beer is “everything it’s cracked up to be.” It pours a medium copper color with a foamy white head. The aroma is of sweet malts, apple cider, and citrus fruits. The flavor is a sweet fruitiness with notes of green apples and a slightly hop bitterness in the aftertaste. It doesn’t really seem to fit the category of a “wheat beer,” but it is a nice brew.

11-20-2002 11:32:40 | More by Morris729
Dogbrick

1.35/5  rDev -39.7%

I am always a little wary when I see a beer with a novelty theme, and this is why. For every Moose Drool there are a dozen Buffalo Butts. Pours a pale amber color with a thin light beige head and next to no lacing. The aroma is a kind of disturbing soapy tap water concoction. Watery body with a truly unappealing flavor like old ketchup, along with some fruityness. Thankfully there is not a lot of flavor in the finish or this may have ruined my day. Just a bad idea.

11-24-2003 14:34:07 | More by Dogbrick
kindestcut

1.18/5  rDev -47.3%

After seeing the label, I bought myself a bottle of Buffalo Butt as a joke. Unfortunately, this joke wasn't funny. I approach each beer with the thought that this one could be my favorite and I try to not judge a book by its cover. However, I believe that if you must have a picture of a buffalo butt on your label to set your beer apart then I am quite suspicious of the contents of the bottle.

This beer poured a cloudy brown color. I expected the flavor to be crisp, given the fizziness that I detected on sight. Initially, the beer looked quite good in the glass, not unlike a nice red apple, beautiful and ripe, ready to be eaten...with a big fat worm inside.

I noticed a sweet aroma that actually was not that strong at all. I have learned that low aroma doesn't always translate to strong flavor but I do like to have something more to work with here.

This beer does not taste good. Buffalo Butt (I hate typing that) has a bitterness, which isn't bad, however it is more bitter than some other wheat beers I have had. The aftertaste was long-lasting, which I didn't appreciate...mainly because it was offensive. There was an obvious fruity flavor, more citrus than banana, which is unlike most wheat beers. All of this wouldn't be so bad if this was a wheat beer. However, I'm not convinced this is a wheat beer since it doesn't meet the requirements I'm familiar with.

I would rate this beer as one of my least favorites. Far more harsh than most, Buffalo Butt (sigh) is neither refreshing nor soothing. However, I always try to predict a situation where my opnion of a beer might be different (with a meal, on a hot day or dying from thirst, for example). However, I can't imagine a time or place that I would ever drink this beer again, certainly not given the wide variety of other fine beers out there without butts on their bottles.

02-11-2003 05:58:13 | More by kindestcut
Buffalo Butt from Yellow Rose Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.