Wachusett Blueberry Ale - Wachusett Brewing Company

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-28-2001

This ale defines the style. A slight aroma of blueberry, balanced by a subtle flavor that gets fermented into this delicious wheat ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wachusett Blueberry Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 407 | Reviews: 145
1.24/5  rDev -63%

a - poured a one finger thick eggshell colored head into an english pub glass that settled to a thin ring. i didn't stick around for the whole beer to see if it lasted though. the body was a bubbly, bright gold color.
s - blueberry pie if it wasn't made with blueberries. hint of breadiness.
t - same as the aroma.
m - very thin and clean.
o - gross, i poured it down the drain.

1.85/5  rDev -44.8%

Kevin hooked me up with this one as spoils from his wedding. Thanks! Poured into a pint glass. Pour is clear light yellow with a thin fizzy white head. I could smell blueberry immediately when I opened the bottle. It's as if I released trapped blueberries! Now that I've put it in the glass I can hardly smell it. I get a faint aroma of blueberry with pale malts and grains. Ugh! I did not enjoy that first sip. It reminds me of a pale macro with a forced blueberry flavor. which is way to sweet. It's kind of sickeningly sweet. This is what I would imagine blue play dough to taste like. The real struggle with this for me is that I can't else other than a weak blueberry flavor followed by sticky sweetness. The mouth feel isn't bad. It's light, but the flavors ruin this for me.

1.88/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

The first time I had this was 2 years ago back in college, with no real recollection of it. This time, I am properly tasting and drinking it, poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - pours a unique color similar to ginger ale or a white wine. It's kind of light colored with carbonation always floating back up. I think this is a bit weird because there was maybe a millimeter of head.

S - there's a strong scent of blueberry, as should be obvious. The smell is similar to a blueberry yogurt: that artificial blueberry scent with sugars. You won't find real blueberries smelling like this.

T - the flavor in my first sip was underwhelming and it stayed consistently underwhelming throughout. There is the tiniest blueberry taste that is hard to point out, and not much else in there. The beer tastes a bit like seltzer water.

M - mouth feel is very light with lots of carbonation. The carbonation feeling lends itself to drinking a soda or that seltzer mentioned above, with a slight tingle on the tongue.

O - not an enjoyable beer at all. It smells good and that really got my hopes up, but the taste did not deliver. Lacking in flavor with a less than impressive mouth feel, I would not drink this again.

2.02/5  rDev -39.7%

A few bottles of this to try out with wife. 12oz bottled poured into pint glass.

A: Almost clear light yellow. Decent head, not much lacing. Looks like a light beer.

S: Fake blueberry, very putting off. Chemically created blueberry muffin at best..

T: Not really blueberry, moreso a bad cherry jolly rancher. Incredibly watered down and some grain, no hops.

M: Waterlike, thin and dull.

D: This is not good on its own or with a meal, have had many other better blueberry ales.

Not recommended. Truthfully one of the worst beers Ive had in quite some time.

2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

Not a hint of blueberry. Nice aroma, but very carbonated, very light appearance, and as I stated, not even a hint of blueberry. Going to stick with Sea Dog Blueberry or even better Dark Horse Blueberry Stout(if I can find it). Not worth buying even for a lawnmower beer.

2.48/5  rDev -26%

Wow, a blueberry ale without blueberries! Pours out a pale clear yellow color with some decent carbonation visible and stays with you for a little bit.

Smell consisted of some malts and hops with a slight whiff of blueberries. I would of liked to see more of a blueberry aroma, but it just wasn't there.

Taste was also on the light side. Wheat/grain-like taste rides along the palate for the entire time. There's perhaps a split second where some blueberries show up, but it was a sad attempt.

Mouthfeel was very thin and light bodied. Some ok carbonation. Finished quite clean.

After finishing this and reading this was a blueberry ale, I just had to laugh. Did someone forgot to add the blueberries in this batch? Pass on this one...

2.49/5  rDev -25.7%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with an enjoy by date on the side of the label.

Appearance: Fast to froth but little stickage as the head struggles to stay together. Pale yet dull copper colour shows its brightness.

Smell: Light blueberry aroma, not of fresh blueberries but processed blueberry aroma. Faint grain in the back says that it is still a beer.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a soda like cripsness, grain in the back. A dull blueberry flavour gives off a processed character. Light on the hopping with more clean grain middle to end. Dry and crisp finish rounds things out.

Notes: An uninteresting fruit beer and overrated IMO.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

App: The body is a transparent golden color and the head is a good 2" of white suds.
Sm: Oddly reminds me of pesto or oregano; Deeply herbal in that sense. Notably there is an absence of any fruity aroma.
TaMf: Dingey ale, more pesto.. waaay over-carbonated. *shrugs*

A. The blueberry is hidden underneath a confusingly herbal taste.

B. The herbal taste in an ale is a turn-off.

Da: Nil. This is a total dud.

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour revealed a clear, thin straw colored beer with a Pillsbury blueberry muffin aroma. The taste reminds me of commercial blueberry muffin mix and I am not sure if that is a bad thing or a good thing, however it is a finishes with a crisp note and I could drink a few of these at a BBQ if the weather was hot and the craft selection was lacking. Overall, this is a decent offering, nothing to write home about but a good intro beer for BMC drinkers that are resistant to expanding their horizons in the great land of beer.

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours pale yellow with a fizzy white head. No lace, but I'm impressed that this retains a ring of slight foam for so long. The troubling part is why the beer was in the pint for so long.

This is blueberry beer, but it is very hard to get a malt profile on this one. Big berry aroma, like the dried ones you get in cereal. If you get some light malt, it is just a whiff.

Blueberry up front, which works. The rest of this beer is a mess. Some malt, soda water, a peppery hint, lightly sour grain, and light bitter and blueberry to finish.

Very light bodied. A little fizzy.

Part of a 12 pack mix. Not worth having again.

2.56/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance - Very pale, much more so than I would have thought, some minor lacing and no head after the pour.
Aroma - I can't really pick out anything beyond the blueberry.
Taste - It tastes just like crunchberries!
Mouthfeel - A little too thin for my tastes. This would have been a better beer with more body.
Drinkability - I think this is still all in all a pretty OK drinkable beer, refreshing.
I hope this review doesn't seem overly critical but I have had better representations of this style and this one just seems very safe and boring.

2.57/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a growler purchased at Skibbo's Beer distributor into a pilsner glass.

The beer poured a clear yellow similar to a Bud Light with minimal head and almost no lacing at all.

The smell was great. It smelled like the blueberry filling used to bake a blueberry pie.

The taste was completely off from the smell. Minimal blueberry sweetness with overpowering sour taste. Not impressed.

The beer was light and crisp, with not too much carbonation. The sour taste left my tongue feeling like I had just eaten a sour apple candy.

I enjoyed the smell but the taste ruined it for me and the taste is what it is all about. I dont recommend it but I would probably try it in the bottle just to see if maybe I got a bad batch.

2.59/5  rDev -22.7%

A - Pours a slightly coudy light yellow with a white foamy head

S - Blueberries come through in the nose, but very faint. Otherwise, the aroma is weak.

T - Follows the nose which is not really a good thing in this case. Theres a doughy taste to this but nothing is outstanding

M - Carbonation is relatively high, with the lack of taste it just makes it taste very fizzy

O - Not very impressed with this one, just not much going on

2.64/5  rDev -21.2%

Wachusett Blueberry is a very clear yellow ale with a small white head that quickly vanishes. It looks like a healthy urine sample. It has the aroma of blueberry pancakes. The body is medium-light, slightly watery and fizzy. It has a slight bitterness and a slightly stale flavor. Something is grainy and corny. The blueberry is subdued... kind of like Japanese candy but not sweet. I'll pass on this one next time.
(rated Aug 4, 2007)

2.68/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into Shipyard Pumpkinhead pint glass.

The color is a yellowish light gold, clear with some good carbonation and a finger of white foamy that dissipates quickly.

The smell is sweet with some blueberry and nice malt flavor with a touch of light spice aroma, a hint of cinnamon or sugar.

The taste is a bit spiciness with some nice sweet malt flavor. The taste of blueberry is nice but does taste a little off. Some slight bitterness does come out in the back end of each sip but is washed away with a thin water flavor.

The feel of this beer is quit light and well balanced. A fruity beer that is not too fruit flavored. This beer does have a really light, drinkable feel which is a plus.

2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle into my Peoples Pint Pied pIPA pint glass
A - very light amber, lots of foamy head, optically translucent.
S - blueberries from a mile away, smells like bad chewing gum
T - like someone put a jolly rancher in there, sweet plus bitter
M - light, drinkable, might be better on a hot summer day
O - not terrible, just not my style

2.74/5  rDev -18.2%

I said I wanted 'local' and, boy, did charliedvrs deliver! Another NEW New England beer, this one particularly appealing because of my own penchant for the Oregon berry bounty we've been devouring for weeks on end. This bottle (my first from Wachusett) is 12 oz. and pours to a pint. 'For Freshest Taste' month notched at 'OCT'.

A: Kinda weird looking, a paler-than-pale 'golden' with the finest haze, just enough to distort my fingers through the glass. A pillow of snow white cream barely contains the fastest cascade of bubbles these eyes have witnessed in a long while. Eventually they slow a little and the head retains nicely. Fine, sheeting lace.

S: The initial puff of air from beneath the cap screamed 'blueberries!', which kinda got me excited about what was to come. Into the glass it went and I wondered where my aroma went; hardly a trace of fruit (any variety). Mostly a bland yeastiness that isn't awful - but without any blueberry smell, why am I drinking a fruit beer named after them?

T: Flavor offers up a glimmer of fruit amidst (once again) dominant doughy/yeasty malt. There may be 'Natural Blueberry Flavor' (per the label), but frankly I'm not finding much of it. Hardly hopped in any substantial way, which means I'm left with a boring, weakly-flavored 'something'. A disappointment, I suppose.

M: Crisp to start, but then a 'macro'/adjunct grainy grit that sticks like glue on the tongue. Slick and viscous coating, Light-medium body. Meh.

D: Refreshing and light, two pluses for drinkability, but then a whole slew of negatives, from aroma to flavor to texture. I love trying new and interesting beer creations, but this just wasn't for me. Yes, I was warned this wasn't his favorite by the kind-hearted sender, but I asked and received...I did finish the bottle, which is saying something.

Thanks again, Charlie, and thanks also for the 'Larry' bottle - a second opportunity to try something from this brewery.

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle thanks to my friend Ira

Pours a clear pale straw color with a small white had that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

A grainy malt and blueberry aroma.

Grainy flavor upfront leading into a rather artificial blueberry flavor. Finishes with a combination of flavors that is not extremely pleasant.

Light body, mild carbonation.

Hoped to like this one, but just another artificial tasting fruit beer. Probably could have finished the bottle, but decided to move onto something better.

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

Enjoyed on tap at Brew City, Worcester, MA.

Pint glass presentation, with a handful of blueberries seemingly thrown in. Hmm, didn't ask for them, but I guess that's their "helpful" presentation. Will try to ignore their presence for the purposes of this review. No noticeable head on this golden brew when delivered, but that may be due to berry presence, so we won't ding too hard. Slightest of pale malt and blueberry aroma, which was somewhat disappointing, would expect more from a fruit brew advertised as such. Taste is of the expected blueberries and pale malts, but overall very neutral, again, not what you would expect from a fruit brew, and I don't think it's such a good thing. Mouthfeel was ok, nothing detracting, but nothing notable either. Drinkability would be high in that you could drink lots, but tempered by the fact that I am unsure what the impetus would be to do so. Does not compare with Sea Dog's blueberry brew, which I recently enjoyed, in my opinion.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours light and clear with a fizzy head.

Smells like blueberries. Really, really smells like blueberries.

Tastes rather like blueberries, too, with really mild hops in the background. Too sweet and too close to a fizzy malt beverage for my enjoyment. I can see how this could be refreshing on a hot summer day, but it's a little weak and thin compared to my usual go-to beers.

It goes down easy, but without much pleasure. The real rub is this: a full two hours later, my burps (oddly frequent) still taste like blueberries. This cut into my enjoyment of both the red pepper hummus I ate and the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (one of my all-time favorites) that I drank to make up for this experience.

I bought this when I was trying to convince my fiancee that she liked beer, which kind of backfired and left me with some stuff that I'd just as soon not drink (look out, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, 'cause you're next). I couldn't even pawn it off on the people we had over; they took PBR over fruit beer.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I'm a little surprised by the reviews, as I've never seen Wachusett until my extended stay in NY and word of mouth for this beer is good.

It's a very pale beer that appears white gold on the pour and turns out be to somewhere between white and gold, pure and polished with absolute clarity. It pours like a soda, the head fizzing away quickly without really having chance to settle very much, though it lays down a layer and puts some spotting on the glass.
The nose really does have a lot of blueberry. It doesn't seem natural, being only sweet and seeming like a blueberry flavoring syrup, but it is good until the blueberry fades and grains come in.
The taste is not so pleasant, and it's a bit of a surprise. Wheat hits with an initial twang and then goes much too grainy, and blueberry gives me a little but it's mostly sour before going almost (not quite) vegetal.
The feel is also unpleasant, attempting crispness to start off then dropping off and getting slick. It feels creepy, honestly, until halfway through when the slickness fortunately dies away.
I've liked a few beers from Wachusett, so this one surprises me. At least now I understand the scores, though.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%

Great initial head that leaves decent lace. The color is straw yellow and crystal clear.

Very strong fresh blueberry smell, although it is not sweet nor sour. There is some mild lighter malt in the background.

The taste is disappointing after such a promising smell. The taste is tart and light on the berry flavors. Close to a lawn mower beer. The body is quite thin, while the carbonation is quite high.

It's drinkable but mild. The aroma is great; the flavor is unusual.

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Freshness date of best by August. Tasted in June:

Pours light straw yellow with a fluffy white head that settles to a lasting, foamy cover. Some lacing sticks to glass.

The smell is of blueberries. Some graininess is in the back.

The taste is as expected - blueberries. There is some grainy malt in the back. Acidic/bitter blueberry fruitiness lingers well into aftertaste.

Oddly thick, despite a seltzery feel.

Hey, I've had worse fruit beers, but better, too...If burping up blueberries is your thing, go for it...At least there's enough besides it that it is beer-like. Still...not enough to make it worth-while for me to get again.

2.84/5  rDev -15.2%

Amber body with an off-white head that leaves quit a bit of sticky lacing. Mine was served to me with all kinds of blueberries floating around in it.

Smell is mostly of blueberry, but with an artificiality about it. Some grain aroma behind that.

Tastes like blueberry candy. Not so much real blueberries here in the flavor. Just a touch of grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel is just basic thin and carbonated with the exception of when I accidently swallow a berry.

Not too drinkable, even if I had enjoyed the flavor more, I still might have gotten bored with it.

2.88/5  rDev -14%

From the bottle into an Allagash chalice. Enjoy before October 2011 on the label.

This blueberry ale pours straw yellow. Not much of a head to speak of and just a touch of lacing.

Aroma is mostly blueberries and a hint of malt to back it off. Definitely nothing to write home about here.

A good rush of blueberries at first sip. Finish is on the grainier side. Again, nothing overly outstanding.

Body is fairly light with a lot of carbonation.

On the neck of the bottle they claim that this brew "defines the style", I might have to disagree. There is a whole lot of average in this beer. I had high hopes for this but was let down for the most part.

Wachusett Blueberry Ale from Wachusett Brewing Company