Wachusett Blueberry Ale - Wachusett Brewing Company

poor

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

This ale defines the style. A slight aroma of blueberry, balanced by a subtle flavor that gets fermented into this delicious wheat ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-28-2001)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wachusett Blueberry Ale Alström Bros
waiting4lunch

Lawnboy33

11-14-2011 18:14:34 | More by Lawnboy33
hoptualBrew

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle served in wine glass. Pours a crisp transluscent nearly lager appearing spritzy yellow. Active carbonation. Scent of blueberry extract. Taste is light & spot on for a blueberry cake or muffin. A little thin & overcarbonated, but it works somewhat.

Brought back by my girlfriend as a leftover she had from her trip to Boston. I think she said the 6pack cost $8.

08-13-2011 05:11:49 | More by hoptualBrew
steve8robin

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

I have not really found a blueberry ale I enjoy yet, so I'll give this one a chance. 12oz bottle, freshest by October 2011...

A: A perfectly clear very light yellowish / white brew that is almost as light as water. A tiny white head that fades quickly to a small white ring around the top of the brew. Decent.

S: I get blueberry sweetness upfront with some mild malt and hop in the middle. Not much else. Ok.

T: A mild sweet malt starts upfront with a nice balance of blueberry quickly followed. A very nice clean light malty middle with a very good grainy backend. Good.

M: Medium body with a great carbonation. A nice clean malty finish. Very good.

O: All in all, this is a good beer. Not amazing, but very solid. I really enjoy that the taste is very balanced and not overwhelming blueberry. It has a nice malt backbone. Good to try if you want a light, well balanced, fruit beer.

08-04-2011 01:17:46 | More by steve8robin
rfgetz

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a hazed golden straw color with rush of soapy white bubbles, gone quickly leaving little behind. Scent is of moderate amounts of blueberry with a touch of lemon zest and tangy wheat. Taste follows scent components but comes across as lightly muddled... blueberry flavor is moderate and lacks a sharp fresh fruit punch. Lighter side of medium, quite carbonated. A disapointing blueberry beer that lacks an aggressive and fresh fruit profile, saved only by its decent base.

07-12-2011 13:33:06 | More by rfgetz
BennyL1

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

From the bottle into an Allagash chalice. Enjoy before October 2011 on the label.

This blueberry ale pours straw yellow. Not much of a head to speak of and just a touch of lacing.

Aroma is mostly blueberries and a hint of malt to back it off. Definitely nothing to write home about here.

A good rush of blueberries at first sip. Finish is on the grainier side. Again, nothing overly outstanding.

Body is fairly light with a lot of carbonation.

On the neck of the bottle they claim that this brew "defines the style", I might have to disagree. There is a whole lot of average in this beer. I had high hopes for this but was let down for the most part.

07-02-2011 03:24:47 | More by BennyL1
ColForbinBC

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

Pours a pale golden straw with active carbonation and a fluffy paper white cap. Head falls quickly and settles to form a thin layer of foam with no lacing. The nose is of fresh blueberries and a cereal-like graininess. Crisp and narrow. There's no denying the purpose of this beer. Flavor profile matches the aroma. Fresh blueberries and a crisp, toasted cereal-like graininess. Smooth and lush on the palate. Nice mouthfeel.

Overall, this guy is as advertised. Fresh blueberries and luxurious mouthfeel on top of a light body. I wish the base beer offered a little bit more.

06-26-2011 17:31:14 | More by ColForbinBC
buschbeer

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes June 2, 2011
12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours yellow in color and clear. It is capped with three inches of white head.

S - Blueberries. Enough said.

T - The taste is dominated by blueberries but I also get some wheat malt.

M - Thin with lots of carbonation.

O - It is an average offering.

06-12-2011 17:23:01 | More by buschbeer
jman892

2.6/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Pours a slightly coudy light yellow with a white foamy head

S - Blueberries come through in the nose, but very faint. Otherwise, the aroma is weak.

T - Follows the nose which is not really a good thing in this case. Theres a doughy taste to this but nothing is outstanding

M - Carbonation is relatively high, with the lack of taste it just makes it taste very fizzy

O - Not very impressed with this one, just not much going on

05-22-2011 18:22:17 | More by jman892
VelvetExtract

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

A-Almost expected it to pour blue. Instead pours a light yellow color. Head forms then dies leaving a small layer of froth. Almost zero lacing.

S-Boom, blueberries. Not too much else to speak of behind the blueberries. A pretty non-organic blueberry scent. One sided (as it is intended to be).

T-Blueberry concentrate. A bit too much of a good thing here. Not much taste other than the berry. A bit too much for me I believe.

M-Light bodied. Powerfully carbonated. A bit syrupy.

O/D-I am not much of fan. Too sweet and intense on the blueberry. Some love it, I do not.

05-13-2011 19:02:11 | More by VelvetExtract
harveystarr

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

On tap at The Fours, Quincy, MA.

Served in a pint glass with actual blueberries thrown in.

Head was a frothy and lasting half an inch. It stayed almost the entire time I drank it, and was tasty.

I realize this beer is not generally reviewed well. I was even told by skettyroad that I've had it before and didn't like it.

Well, in the environment I was in, I did enjoy it. It was a light lager with a definite blueberry "tinge". Smelled predominantly like blueberry bagel. Although the blueberries were not as organic to the beer as Bluepaw, it still worked for me.

Enjoyable enough for me to order with my dinner two nights later.

04-20-2011 03:07:14 | More by harveystarr
ehammond1

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2011)

HalfTimeBeverage.com

A clear golden yellow with a quickly forming white head and plenty of visible carbonation. Falls away quickly but leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Aromas of fresh blueberries and some mild grain. Simple, sweet, and fresh.

Taste follows the nose as this tastes more like fresh blueberries than it does of any hop or malt character. As a fan of blueberries, I'm fine with this, but it's not much more than blueberry sweetness and a hint of bready grains to go along with it. Simpe, sweet.

Pleasant enough, a touch syrupy, but good carbonation.

A simple and sweet blueberry treat. I couldn't drink more than one, but it's certainly tasty and the blueberry flavor seems authentic and fresh. A pleasure to drink one, but I wouldn't think of having more than that.

04-13-2011 15:00:52 | More by ehammond1
MoreThanWine

3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

I bought this more for the lady of the house and then she impressed me by not being particularly impressed by it. Still we both agree it's fully drinkable and wouldn't hesitate to have one.

Poured a 2" head which fully dissipated. Pretty substantial smell of blueberries, less so in the taste but I suppose that's a good thing because it's beer and not a blueberry smoothy. Note it's not brewed with the blueberries, the berry flavor is added separately. Anyway, this is like a standard pale ale with a little fruit adulteration.

12-23-2010 09:41:49 | More by MoreThanWine
Billolick

3.15/5  rDev -6%

12 ounce bottle, w/o freshness/best before info being available.

Pours light golden amber, clear, minor head, no collar and no lace....meh..

I'm just getting a slight sugary sensation on the nose.

Light, near flavorless brew. Perhaps a slight fruity note..if I close my eyes and imagine, I do get the taste of a blueberry, but perhaps...ah whatever, this is thin, lacking any and all interest and intrigue...expensive lawn mower beer is the best I can come up with...pass this one by.

11-10-2010 01:08:07 | More by Billolick
Bendurgin

Maine

1.8/5  rDev -46.3%

Kevin hooked me up with this one as spoils from his wedding. Thanks! Poured into a pint glass. Pour is clear light yellow with a thin fizzy white head. I could smell blueberry immediately when I opened the bottle. It's as if I released trapped blueberries! Now that I've put it in the glass I can hardly smell it. I get a faint aroma of blueberry with pale malts and grains. Ugh! I did not enjoy that first sip. It reminds me of a pale macro with a forced blueberry flavor. which is way to sweet. It's kind of sickeningly sweet. This is what I would imagine blue play dough to taste like. The real struggle with this for me is that I can't else other than a weak blueberry flavor followed by sticky sweetness. The mouth feel isn't bad. It's light, but the flavors ruin this for me.

09-08-2010 12:48:28 | More by Bendurgin
msubulldog25

Oregon

2.78/5  rDev -17%

I said I wanted 'local' and, boy, did charliedvrs deliver! Another NEW New England beer, this one particularly appealing because of my own penchant for the Oregon berry bounty we've been devouring for weeks on end. This bottle (my first from Wachusett) is 12 oz. and pours to a pint. 'For Freshest Taste' month notched at 'OCT'.

A: Kinda weird looking, a paler-than-pale 'golden' with the finest haze, just enough to distort my fingers through the glass. A pillow of snow white cream barely contains the fastest cascade of bubbles these eyes have witnessed in a long while. Eventually they slow a little and the head retains nicely. Fine, sheeting lace.

S: The initial puff of air from beneath the cap screamed 'blueberries!', which kinda got me excited about what was to come. Into the glass it went and I wondered where my aroma went; hardly a trace of fruit (any variety). Mostly a bland yeastiness that isn't awful - but without any blueberry smell, why am I drinking a fruit beer named after them?

T: Flavor offers up a glimmer of fruit amidst (once again) dominant doughy/yeasty malt. There may be 'Natural Blueberry Flavor' (per the label), but frankly I'm not finding much of it. Hardly hopped in any substantial way, which means I'm left with a boring, weakly-flavored 'something'. A disappointment, I suppose.

M: Crisp to start, but then a 'macro'/adjunct grainy grit that sticks like glue on the tongue. Slick and viscous coating, Light-medium body. Meh.

D: Refreshing and light, two pluses for drinkability, but then a whole slew of negatives, from aroma to flavor to texture. I love trying new and interesting beer creations, but this just wasn't for me. Yes, I was warned this wasn't his favorite by the kind-hearted sender, but I asked and received...I did finish the bottle, which is saying something.

Thanks again, Charlie, and thanks also for the 'Larry' bottle - a second opportunity to try something from this brewery.

08-29-2010 14:21:35 | More by msubulldog25
linusbwell

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

My first ever fruit beer!

Very light yellow. White head.

Smells like, well, blueberries with a mild yeast aroma.

Flavor is blueberry as well, but somehow artificial.

Very drinkable, but not sure I could really drink a LOT of this beer over the course of the night.

08-19-2010 16:54:44 | More by linusbwell
nas5755

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour revealed a clear, thin straw colored beer with a Pillsbury blueberry muffin aroma. The taste reminds me of commercial blueberry muffin mix and I am not sure if that is a bad thing or a good thing, however it is a finishes with a crisp note and I could drink a few of these at a BBQ if the weather was hot and the craft selection was lacking. Overall, this is a decent offering, nothing to write home about but a good intro beer for BMC drinkers that are resistant to expanding their horizons in the great land of beer.

08-17-2010 23:05:45 | More by nas5755
DrJay

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear light gold colour with a short white cap of moderately sized bubbles. Decent head retention with a bit of short-lived lace. Strong blueberry aroma with a bit of malt, kind of reminds me of blueberry pancakes or dried blueberries with cereal. Tastes about the same, but with mild bitterness as well. Carbonation would have been rough if it was higher, but since it was on the low side it had a soft texture. Light bodied. I enjoyed this. It was fruity without being cloying and fairly refreshing.

08-01-2010 19:54:15 | More by DrJay