Wachusett Blueberry Ale - Wachusett Brewing Company

poor

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

This ale defines the style. A slight aroma of blueberry, balanced by a subtle flavor that gets fermented into this delicious wheat ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-28-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wachusett Blueberry Ale Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a good looking, crisp light golden colour with a foamy white head atop the liquid. Head leaves a smattering of residue on the glass after each sip, and also has decent retention time before settling into a thin lace.

The aroma is mainly blueberry, but I picked up a bit of citrus as well as a bit of spice. Reminds me somewhat of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat with a blueberry twist.

Flavour is very much in line with the aroma: blueberries once again steal the show, but they are cut with a fair amount of citrus flavour and once again seemingly with a touch of spice. There's a bit of a graininess/grassiness here as well. Mouthfeel is light bodied and makes for a refreshing change of pace.

I enjoyed this one more than I expected to. As mentioned, it reminds me a bit of Leinie's Sunset Wheat and perhaps a bit like Long Trail's Blackbeary Wheat, although this one is much bolder than the latter. Don't think I could drink this one often but would easily enjoy it when I did, especially in the warmer months. I'm surprised to say this, but this one's definitely worth a shot...

3.35/5  rDev 0%

12 Oz bottle given to me by my father-in-law. We've enjoyed a few of these over the years. Blueberry ales seem to be rather prolific in New England...so much so that I consider it to be a style of its own.

Pours a clear, light brass color with a thick white head. The two finger head dissipates over time, leaving wispy, white lacings. This is surprisingly light for a blueberry ale.

Sweet grain, dough and a touch of yeast are absolutely buried by the aroma of blueberry pancakes. If you are looking for a touch of blueberry flavor in your beer, then leave this one on the shelf.

Grain husks and a suggestion of hops are perceivable in the flavor until the sweet storm of blueberries take over. Finishes dry.

This brew is light bodied with ample, pleasing carbonation. This is a quaffable lawn mower beer that can certainly provide some summer cookout enjoyment. In terms of quality, it is just too one-dimensional to warrant higher scores.

3.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

appearance - Clear yellow color. Poured a large head, but then went down to a pond of foam. Left some lace.

smell - blueberry smell , not much going on.

taste - Taste of blueberries, and some light hops. Very watery. Not one of the better blueberry ales I have had.

mouthfeel - Light, watery.

drinkability - I added some actual blueberries to the mix. See if it would improve the taste, was not impressed on the taste. I have had better.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

I have had this on several occasions and it has varied. I will stick with my original review though. Pours a slightly hazed straw with minimal head. Nose is pure beautiful blueberry. Flavor is a good mix of beer and the flavor. Mild blueberry tones, but it actually tastes like a real blueberry and not some horrid imitation of it. Feel is nice with a thick carbonation to it. Very drinkable, if this is your thing. I am on a quest to find the best blueberry beer as I am a blueberry addict and this is the best I have tried so far.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle

Appearance: light golden color, thin white head with little retention, and some lacing.

Aroma: a wonderful blueberry aroma –

Taste and Mouthfeel: crisp mouthfeel. Light taste of blueberry perhaps a bit too light.

Drinkability: Not bad, but I probably would not go out of my way to drink it again. It smells better than it tastes.

3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

This is the fruit beer that made me believe that fruit beers can actually taste good. A refreshing, crisp beer with an authentic blueberry taste goes well by itself or with almost any food. Great from the tap, especially if you drop in some fresh blueberries into your glass.

If you live in Massachusetts, you can pick up a growler of this for around $25, then refill the growler infinitely for $6. Also delicious if paired with the Wachusett Black Shack Porter, creating what the brewers call a Black & Blue.

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Bought as a single bottle at the grocery store.

Poured into a 4oz sample glass.

Poured very pale, white grape juice look. Very few bubbles and a fast dying lace.

No hop smell, some sweet malt. The blueberry smell is quite apparent but not fake or extract smelling.

In spite of little visible carbonation, the beer is quite fizzy tasting. Sweet malt taste followed by a nice fresh tasting blueberry flavor. I am kind of surprised by the taste. No fake berry flavor, or overly sugary. Actually tastes like real blueberries. Sweet, tart and a little tannic. Just like the the berry itself.

Overall, not bad for a fruit beer. The ale part of this is actually quite good. Certainly makes the overall product very nice. I guess my only reservations what to drink it with. I don't think I could take drinking it all night and don't know what I would eat it with. I feel its limited in how much of it you can drink and when. Maybe a good appertif beer.

Prosit

3.05/5  rDev -9%

Wachusett- Blueberry Ale

Appearance- Light yellow with a smal white head.
Smell- Blueberry pancake batter/ blueberry muffin.
Taste- Blueberries with a buttery vanilla/ yellow cake mix flavor.
Mouthfeel- Light and crisp but not cloying. The blueberry isn't chemically, thats a plus.

Overall- A light easy to drink fruit beer here. Maybe 1 to quench the thirst or cool off.

4.72/5  rDev +40.9%

This is a great summer beer. As other reviewers have said, the blueberry smell in very strong. Taste is excellent, and I highly recommend (even though my wife makes fun of me for it) that one puts it in a glass with real blueberries (it's sometimes served at bars this way).

Only possible downside: if you're looking to get blitzed it will take many of them becuase of the low alcohol content. Overall this is an excellent beer and certainly the best blueberry beer I've ever had.

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Freshness date of best by August. Tasted in June:

Pours light straw yellow with a fluffy white head that settles to a lasting, foamy cover. Some lacing sticks to glass.

The smell is of blueberries. Some graininess is in the back.

The taste is as expected - blueberries. There is some grainy malt in the back. Acidic/bitter blueberry fruitiness lingers well into aftertaste.

Oddly thick, despite a seltzery feel.

Hey, I've had worse fruit beers, but better, too...If burping up blueberries is your thing, go for it...At least there's enough besides it that it is beer-like. Still...not enough to make it worth-while for me to get again.

2.78/5  rDev -17%

Pours light and clear with a fizzy head.

Smells like blueberries. Really, really smells like blueberries.

Tastes rather like blueberries, too, with really mild hops in the background. Too sweet and too close to a fizzy malt beverage for my enjoyment. I can see how this could be refreshing on a hot summer day, but it's a little weak and thin compared to my usual go-to beers.

It goes down easy, but without much pleasure. The real rub is this: a full two hours later, my burps (oddly frequent) still taste like blueberries. This cut into my enjoyment of both the red pepper hummus I ate and the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (one of my all-time favorites) that I drank to make up for this experience.

I bought this when I was trying to convince my fiancee that she liked beer, which kind of backfired and left me with some stuff that I'd just as soon not drink (look out, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, 'cause you're next). I couldn't even pawn it off on the people we had over; they took PBR over fruit beer.

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Had on tap at the Ithaca Ale House. Pint glass was topped off with some fresh blueberries which was a great addition- you could really compare actual blueberry flavor to the beer's blueberry flavor.

A- Came out a light golden with a fingers worth of head and fairly strong lacing.

S- Some fruitiness, mostly blueberry on first impact followed by some sweet maltiness of white bread and sweet cinnimon buns.

T- Right on in my opinion of the balance between fruit and beer. The fruit flavor is there but not dominating, allowing the flavors of both the malt and the hops to come through. The malt is sweet and milky while the hops are light and slightly lemony. I found the combination to be right up my alley.

M- Here the sweetness was just too much though I debated whether or not I would really like more bitterness in a fruit beer. It's kinda nice to get a change from the bitterness of IPAs and roasted malt beers.

D- I really enjoyed this beer for what it is. You're not going to find a ton of malt or hop flavor but you will find a distinct blueberriness that combines with standard beer flavors to create a delicious combination.

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz into pint glass; served slightly chilled.

Big fuzzy white head atop sparkling clear straw-gold body.

Scent is immediately blueberries from the moment the cap is cracked. A hint of toasted wheat.

Taste is obviously blueberries. There's a warm toasty flavor as well and a sweet finish. A blueberry muffin if you will. The taste does not become cloying, medicinal or artificial. As you get further into the glass a very slight citrus hop presence makes itself known.

Mouthfeel is crisp to start but ends a bit watery. Carbonation is low to moderate.

Drinkability is good. I can certainly imagine enjoying a few of these on a warm summer day.

Not my favorite blueberry beer (I prefer Bar Harbor's version) but certainly not a bad one.

Think I'll top the rest of this with a stout and make a black and blue!

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Translucent/transparent; fairly light in color...not as clear as a macro, but not as light blocking as a hefe. Definate formation a crisp, white head which fails to laste, leaving a clean, yet dissipating lacing.

S: Profound blueberry smell. Not the smell of the fresh wild blueberries in my back yard, but even the semi fresh/semi artificial smell is appreciated and solid. Light grain background supplements the fruity aroma.

T: The light taste of sweet grainy malt mixes with the blueberry flavor with is less prevalent than in the aroma.

M: Smooth, light mouthfeel. Just about what one would expect from a beer of this clarity and color, if not a tad creamier, particularly upon the swallow.

D: One of my preferred "6-man" beers. I might not start this beer, but he's likely first off of the bench. A nice change in the session from a more typical brew. Not very hoppy, and the sweetness does not come from the malt...so an interesting beer to add into the mix.

A must try for at least once to experience an interesting blueberry beer. Perhaps not tops for those who appreciate a more traditional, natural flavor, but a solid fruity beer for those who may not appreciate others such as various lambics.

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

On-tap at Applebee’s in Fall River, MA, served in a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a medium white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded heavily with the smell of blueberry. There’s a little bit of wheat and hops. I thought it smelled a lot like blueberry syrup.

T: A very sweet blueberry flavor completely dominates the taste. There’s also some wheat flavor and a little bit of hops to compliment the sweetness. The malt character is faint. The after-taste is sweet and fruity.

M: Crisp, very smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish was slick.

D: Tasty but too sweet for me, not filling at all, goes down easy, it’s not quite the kind of beer that I would want to stick with but it’s better than a macro, which were the only other choices other than Sam Adams & Sam Adams seasonal.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer was usually served at the bar with blueberries in the glass. Needless to say, I asked for it without the blueberries. I hate it when a place serves you a beer with something added, without asking you.

This beer was a clear yellow, with a half-finger head with good lacing.

The aroma was very mild, with light blueberries and light malts, and a very mild floral hop fragrance.

Taste was of light malts and bready, with a very light blueberry flavor. It was slightly bitter. Overall it was quite mild... if it was cheaper and if I hadn't been driving, I would have tried it with blueberries.

Mouthfeel was average overall... not chewy but not too thin.

Drinkability was quite good. You could down quite a few of these without problem.

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

12oz bottle with best by March on the label. The beer was a hazy yellow with a small white head. It had a sweet aroma, somewhat citrussy. Taste was vaguely sweet, couldn't really detect any blueberry. Pretty weak. I'm not a big fan of fruit beers, but didn't think this was a particularly good example of the style.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle thanks to my friend Ira

Pours a clear pale straw color with a small white had that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

A grainy malt and blueberry aroma.

Grainy flavor upfront leading into a rather artificial blueberry flavor. Finishes with a combination of flavors that is not extremely pleasant.

Light body, mild carbonation.

Hoped to like this one, but just another artificial tasting fruit beer. Probably could have finished the bottle, but decided to move onto something better.

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

This was my first blueberry beer. I had it on tap at the Gate in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It poured similar to a Bud Light, thin but foamy head and yellow. Strong blueberry smell. Strong blueberry taste also. It reminded me of blueberry muffins, which is good I guess. It was light bodied and fizzy. Very easy to drink. If you like blueberries with your beer, this is for you.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: pours a clear pale yellow color with a 1" head that falls quickly. No lacing develops. Very light carbonation levels.

Smell: blueberry is easily detectable.

Taste: malt levels are light and the blueberry is not offensive all. Mild bitterness, bit of grass, and an overall dryness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: mildly crisp at the start, smoother towards the finish. Very dry throughout. Light in body.

Drinkability: not voerly exciting, and I found this to be a bit to dry and not as refreshing as expected. Fruit flavor is nice, but one of these in a session suffices for me.

3.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoy tasting blueberry beers. As this one goes, it's not bad, but it wouldn't top the list as my favorite. Served in a bottle, it poured a sharp, translucent golden color with a fine white head. It smelled citrusy and a little floral. First taste was also citrusy, the blueberry flavor was just an undertone. The flavor ended with a bit of a hoppy bite that ledt an almost smoky aftertaste. It was a refreshing beer, coming in from the heat of summer, drinkable and fairly smooth.

4.03/5  rDev +20.3%

tap sample at the brewery

Their best selling beer, the Blueberry has a very subtle fruit flavor. Generally, I'm not too big on fruity American beers (I do like me some lambics though). There is very little sweetness in the fruit and the wheat finish ends things very crisp and smooth. It's a pleasure to drink this in the summer.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

The head disappiated very quickly, with a little ring around the glass left throughout the drink. Color is a very light yellowish amber. The smell of blueberry hit me as soon as I popped the cap. I could almost taste it when breathing the air around the beer. A little bit of bitterness to the tail end of the sip, but I could still taste the blueberry over that. The flavor sat on my tounge a little longer than I like. Not a bad beer.

2.48/5  rDev -26%

App: The body is a transparent golden color and the head is a good 2" of white suds.
Sm: Oddly reminds me of pesto or oregano; Deeply herbal in that sense. Notably there is an absence of any fruity aroma.
TaMf: Dingey ale, more pesto.. waaay over-carbonated. *shrugs*

A. The blueberry is hidden underneath a confusingly herbal taste.

B. The herbal taste in an ale is a turn-off.

Da: Nil. This is a total dud.

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

The beer pours a gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale malt scent along with a light blueberry aroma. The taste is decent also. It has a dry, yet fruity flavor that boasts of pale malts and blueberries. The fruit content is good, but I'm not sure that blueberry is my favorate beer fruit. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good fruit beer. It has a light and refreshing flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry and fruity; a good drinker.

Wachusett Blueberry Ale from Wachusett Brewing Company