Wachusett Blueberry Ale - Wachusett Brewing Company

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-28-2001

This ale defines the style. A slight aroma of blueberry, balanced by a subtle flavor that gets fermented into this delicious wheat ale.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 391 | Reviews: 143
4.01/5  rDev +19.7%

Not much head retention, which is a let-down.

Light color. It's not blue!

The aroma is nice and exciting ... very funky blueberry. Certainly gets your attention.

The taste is a pretty strong blueberry flavor. Not a lot of hop presence ... mostly a wet and sweet experience.

Overall, it is very refreshing and I find myself wanting a second pint. For some reason I feel like most fruit beers like this are always better on tap. Magic Hat #9 and some pumpkin beers come to mind in this regard. This blueberry is the same ... get it on tap! Try it!

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

light golden in color with a three finger white head that held fairly well and a small amount of lace. faint but pleasant blueberry aroma. taste is mild blueberry with some bready malt, clean and light on the palate with a light carbonation. better than some i have tried. good for more than one beer.

3.46/5  rDev +3.3%

Very pale yellow gold brew with a full fluffy white head and a great coat of lacing poured cold into a glass mug. The aroma is strictly a delightful blueberry, not much more than that. The taste is very light and effervescent with white bread and light blueberry and biscuit. For blueberry's sake this is alright but as beer goes I have had a little better fruit combos. But definitely not a bad option for a hot summer day with something a little different. Very drinkable.

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%

Drank on-tap at Penguin Pizza, Boston, MA

Poured a pale straw yellow with no head but only a thin film of white froth. Rather macro-like in appearance.

The aroma was astounding. Blueberries, blueberries and more blueberries. I could smell the beer from nearly two feet away. Freshly pureed blueberries, to be specific. There might have been other subtle aromas in this brew but they were most definitely overshadowed by the overwhelming fruitiness (and that was perfectly fine by me).

The taste however was disappointing. Some husky maltiness came through up front, along with a faint, artificial blueberry flavor. Crisp, lemony and tart in the center. The beer finished quite sour and dry with some noticeable skunkiness.

Mouthfeel was very thin with an excessive amount of carbonation. The beer turned to instant froth once it hit my tongue.

Drinkability was good. This is a light and refreshing brew, perfect for drinking on a hot summer day. It may not be the most flavorful beer in the world, but it is rather quaffable.

2.02/5  rDev -39.7%

A few bottles of this to try out with wife. 12oz bottled poured into pint glass.

A: Almost clear light yellow. Decent head, not much lacing. Looks like a light beer.

S: Fake blueberry, very putting off. Chemically created blueberry muffin at best..

T: Not really blueberry, moreso a bad cherry jolly rancher. Incredibly watered down and some grain, no hops.

M: Waterlike, thin and dull.

D: This is not good on its own or with a meal, have had many other better blueberry ales.

Not recommended. Truthfully one of the worst beers Ive had in quite some time.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Picked up a growler of this at Skibbo's Discount Beer & Soda in the Bronx on 5/3 and waited till the last glass(4) until I penned this here review.

A: Poured a slightly hazed copper with minimal head.

S: Nose was a subtle blueberry boquet.

T: Good mix of medium hops and namesake flavor.

M: At first is thick but becomes waterery with time.

D: Quite easy on the pallet but would like to try again to see if sharper.

3.97/5  rDev +18.5%

This is a light, crisp ale with a strong blueberry smell. What's disappointing is that you don't get the blueberry flavors like you'd think you would judging from the smell. It had strong, sour citrus flavors that finished sweet.

It pours very clear with an almost non-existent head and no lacing.

What I liked about this beer was the aftertaste. I don't know if that's very common, but I enjoyed savoring the flavor after drinking it more so then while it was in my mouth.

It should definitely be considered a session beer, and probably pairs nicely with fruit desserts and summer afternoons.

Mouthfeel is clean and light.

2.57/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a growler purchased at Skibbo's Beer distributor into a pilsner glass.

The beer poured a clear yellow similar to a Bud Light with minimal head and almost no lacing at all.

The smell was great. It smelled like the blueberry filling used to bake a blueberry pie.

The taste was completely off from the smell. Minimal blueberry sweetness with overpowering sour taste. Not impressed.

The beer was light and crisp, with not too much carbonation. The sour taste left my tongue feeling like I had just eaten a sour apple candy.

I enjoyed the smell but the taste ruined it for me and the taste is what it is all about. I dont recommend it but I would probably try it in the bottle just to see if maybe I got a bad batch.

3.54/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a golden yellow color with a white head that laces the glass OK. The aroma is of sweet malts and then blueberry. The taste delivers just that. The light but sweet malt backbone is good but the blueberry flavor is the main flavor and kind of takes over the beer. The blueberry is really sweet like a blueberry pancake sweet, kind of like a blueberry syrup. The mouthfeel is nice - very smooth and the drinkability is OK but a little sweet.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%

Great initial head that leaves decent lace. The color is straw yellow and crystal clear.

Very strong fresh blueberry smell, although it is not sweet nor sour. There is some mild lighter malt in the background.

The taste is disappointing after such a promising smell. The taste is tart and light on the berry flavors. Close to a lawn mower beer. The body is quite thin, while the carbonation is quite high.

It's drinkable but mild. The aroma is great; the flavor is unusual.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a good looking, crisp light golden colour with a foamy white head atop the liquid. Head leaves a smattering of residue on the glass after each sip, and also has decent retention time before settling into a thin lace.

The aroma is mainly blueberry, but I picked up a bit of citrus as well as a bit of spice. Reminds me somewhat of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat with a blueberry twist.

Flavour is very much in line with the aroma: blueberries once again steal the show, but they are cut with a fair amount of citrus flavour and once again seemingly with a touch of spice. There's a bit of a graininess/grassiness here as well. Mouthfeel is light bodied and makes for a refreshing change of pace.

I enjoyed this one more than I expected to. As mentioned, it reminds me a bit of Leinie's Sunset Wheat and perhaps a bit like Long Trail's Blackbeary Wheat, although this one is much bolder than the latter. Don't think I could drink this one often but would easily enjoy it when I did, especially in the warmer months. I'm surprised to say this, but this one's definitely worth a shot...

3.36/5  rDev +0.3%

12 Oz bottle given to me by my father-in-law. We've enjoyed a few of these over the years. Blueberry ales seem to be rather prolific in New England...so much so that I consider it to be a style of its own.

Pours a clear, light brass color with a thick white head. The two finger head dissipates over time, leaving wispy, white lacings. This is surprisingly light for a blueberry ale.

Sweet grain, dough and a touch of yeast are absolutely buried by the aroma of blueberry pancakes. If you are looking for a touch of blueberry flavor in your beer, then leave this one on the shelf.

Grain husks and a suggestion of hops are perceivable in the flavor until the sweet storm of blueberries take over. Finishes dry.

This brew is light bodied with ample, pleasing carbonation. This is a quaffable lawn mower beer that can certainly provide some summer cookout enjoyment. In terms of quality, it is just too one-dimensional to warrant higher scores.

3.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

appearance - Clear yellow color. Poured a large head, but then went down to a pond of foam. Left some lace.

smell - blueberry smell , not much going on.

taste - Taste of blueberries, and some light hops. Very watery. Not one of the better blueberry ales I have had.

mouthfeel - Light, watery.

drinkability - I added some actual blueberries to the mix. See if it would improve the taste, was not impressed on the taste. I have had better.

3.67/5  rDev +9.6%

I have had this on several occasions and it has varied. I will stick with my original review though. Pours a slightly hazed straw with minimal head. Nose is pure beautiful blueberry. Flavor is a good mix of beer and the flavor. Mild blueberry tones, but it actually tastes like a real blueberry and not some horrid imitation of it. Feel is nice with a thick carbonation to it. Very drinkable, if this is your thing. I am on a quest to find the best blueberry beer as I am a blueberry addict and this is the best I have tried so far.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle

Appearance: light golden color, thin white head with little retention, and some lacing.

Aroma: a wonderful blueberry aroma –

Taste and Mouthfeel: crisp mouthfeel. Light taste of blueberry perhaps a bit too light.

Drinkability: Not bad, but I probably would not go out of my way to drink it again. It smells better than it tastes.

3.97/5  rDev +18.5%

This is the fruit beer that made me believe that fruit beers can actually taste good. A refreshing, crisp beer with an authentic blueberry taste goes well by itself or with almost any food. Great from the tap, especially if you drop in some fresh blueberries into your glass.

If you live in Massachusetts, you can pick up a growler of this for around $25, then refill the growler infinitely for $6. Also delicious if paired with the Wachusett Black Shack Porter, creating what the brewers call a Black & Blue.

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Bought as a single bottle at the grocery store.

Poured into a 4oz sample glass.

Poured very pale, white grape juice look. Very few bubbles and a fast dying lace.

No hop smell, some sweet malt. The blueberry smell is quite apparent but not fake or extract smelling.

In spite of little visible carbonation, the beer is quite fizzy tasting. Sweet malt taste followed by a nice fresh tasting blueberry flavor. I am kind of surprised by the taste. No fake berry flavor, or overly sugary. Actually tastes like real blueberries. Sweet, tart and a little tannic. Just like the the berry itself.

Overall, not bad for a fruit beer. The ale part of this is actually quite good. Certainly makes the overall product very nice. I guess my only reservations what to drink it with. I don't think I could take drinking it all night and don't know what I would eat it with. I feel its limited in how much of it you can drink and when. Maybe a good appertif beer.

Prosit

3.05/5  rDev -9%

Wachusett- Blueberry Ale

Appearance- Light yellow with a smal white head.
Smell- Blueberry pancake batter/ blueberry muffin.
Taste- Blueberries with a buttery vanilla/ yellow cake mix flavor.
Mouthfeel- Light and crisp but not cloying. The blueberry isn't chemically, thats a plus.

Overall- A light easy to drink fruit beer here. Maybe 1 to quench the thirst or cool off.

4.74/5  rDev +41.5%

This is a great summer beer. As other reviewers have said, the blueberry smell in very strong. Taste is excellent, and I highly recommend (even though my wife makes fun of me for it) that one puts it in a glass with real blueberries (it's sometimes served at bars this way).

Only possible downside: if you're looking to get blitzed it will take many of them becuase of the low alcohol content. Overall this is an excellent beer and certainly the best blueberry beer I've ever had.

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Freshness date of best by August. Tasted in June:

Pours light straw yellow with a fluffy white head that settles to a lasting, foamy cover. Some lacing sticks to glass.

The smell is of blueberries. Some graininess is in the back.

The taste is as expected - blueberries. There is some grainy malt in the back. Acidic/bitter blueberry fruitiness lingers well into aftertaste.

Oddly thick, despite a seltzery feel.

Hey, I've had worse fruit beers, but better, too...If burping up blueberries is your thing, go for it...At least there's enough besides it that it is beer-like. Still...not enough to make it worth-while for me to get again.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours light and clear with a fizzy head.

Smells like blueberries. Really, really smells like blueberries.

Tastes rather like blueberries, too, with really mild hops in the background. Too sweet and too close to a fizzy malt beverage for my enjoyment. I can see how this could be refreshing on a hot summer day, but it's a little weak and thin compared to my usual go-to beers.

It goes down easy, but without much pleasure. The real rub is this: a full two hours later, my burps (oddly frequent) still taste like blueberries. This cut into my enjoyment of both the red pepper hummus I ate and the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (one of my all-time favorites) that I drank to make up for this experience.

I bought this when I was trying to convince my fiancee that she liked beer, which kind of backfired and left me with some stuff that I'd just as soon not drink (look out, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, 'cause you're next). I couldn't even pawn it off on the people we had over; they took PBR over fruit beer.

3.66/5  rDev +9.3%

Had on tap at the Ithaca Ale House. Pint glass was topped off with some fresh blueberries which was a great addition- you could really compare actual blueberry flavor to the beer's blueberry flavor.

A- Came out a light golden with a fingers worth of head and fairly strong lacing.

S- Some fruitiness, mostly blueberry on first impact followed by some sweet maltiness of white bread and sweet cinnimon buns.

T- Right on in my opinion of the balance between fruit and beer. The fruit flavor is there but not dominating, allowing the flavors of both the malt and the hops to come through. The malt is sweet and milky while the hops are light and slightly lemony. I found the combination to be right up my alley.

M- Here the sweetness was just too much though I debated whether or not I would really like more bitterness in a fruit beer. It's kinda nice to get a change from the bitterness of IPAs and roasted malt beers.

D- I really enjoyed this beer for what it is. You're not going to find a ton of malt or hop flavor but you will find a distinct blueberriness that combines with standard beer flavors to create a delicious combination.

3.62/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz into pint glass; served slightly chilled.

Big fuzzy white head atop sparkling clear straw-gold body.

Scent is immediately blueberries from the moment the cap is cracked. A hint of toasted wheat.

Taste is obviously blueberries. There's a warm toasty flavor as well and a sweet finish. A blueberry muffin if you will. The taste does not become cloying, medicinal or artificial. As you get further into the glass a very slight citrus hop presence makes itself known.

Mouthfeel is crisp to start but ends a bit watery. Carbonation is low to moderate.

Drinkability is good. I can certainly imagine enjoying a few of these on a warm summer day.

Not my favorite blueberry beer (I prefer Bar Harbor's version) but certainly not a bad one.

Think I'll top the rest of this with a stout and make a black and blue!

4.23/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Translucent/transparent; fairly light in color...not as clear as a macro, but not as light blocking as a hefe. Definate formation a crisp, white head which fails to laste, leaving a clean, yet dissipating lacing.

S: Profound blueberry smell. Not the smell of the fresh wild blueberries in my back yard, but even the semi fresh/semi artificial smell is appreciated and solid. Light grain background supplements the fruity aroma.

T: The light taste of sweet grainy malt mixes with the blueberry flavor with is less prevalent than in the aroma.

M: Smooth, light mouthfeel. Just about what one would expect from a beer of this clarity and color, if not a tad creamier, particularly upon the swallow.

D: One of my preferred "6-man" beers. I might not start this beer, but he's likely first off of the bench. A nice change in the session from a more typical brew. Not very hoppy, and the sweetness does not come from the malt...so an interesting beer to add into the mix.

A must try for at least once to experience an interesting blueberry beer. Perhaps not tops for those who appreciate a more traditional, natural flavor, but a solid fruity beer for those who may not appreciate others such as various lambics.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

On-tap at Applebee’s in Fall River, MA, served in a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a medium white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded heavily with the smell of blueberry. There’s a little bit of wheat and hops. I thought it smelled a lot like blueberry syrup.

T: A very sweet blueberry flavor completely dominates the taste. There’s also some wheat flavor and a little bit of hops to compliment the sweetness. The malt character is faint. The after-taste is sweet and fruity.

M: Crisp, very smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish was slick.

D: Tasty but too sweet for me, not filling at all, goes down easy, it’s not quite the kind of beer that I would want to stick with but it’s better than a macro, which were the only other choices other than Sam Adams & Sam Adams seasonal.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wachusett Blueberry Ale from Wachusett Brewing Company