Wachusett IPA (India Pale Ale) - Wachusett Brewing Company

Wachusett IPA (India Pale Ale)Wachusett IPA (India Pale Ale)

good

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

With an awesome floral nose, & fresh hop flavor, “The Purple” is one of the most sessionable IPA’s out there. Beer Advocate calls it, “A damn solid IPA”.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wachusett IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
1.28/5  rDev -65.2%

Note: While I'm no expert and I haven't been reviewing beers for a long time (also back from a bit of a hiatus) but this is just awful. Wachusett is revered in the area I live almost as much as Sam Adams and much like Sams I don't see the point. What pains me especially is that I love an IPA, especially an American IPA (my favorite) and this is terrible. It was one of the first beers I ever had and turned me off of IPAs until I was a little over 22. I literally thought as I drank this for the first time, "maybe I don't like IPAs?". I'm confident it wasn't from a bad batch either. This was my 4th Wachusett IPA and they all fared about the same in my opinion. Onto the review

Appearance: A golden, rustic color. The lacing retains itself to the glass sparsely and is thin and not that sticky. As you drink the beer the head fades from a thin collar to just about nothing around the edge of the glass. Slightly carbonated but no noticeable bubbles. This is the best part of the beer.

Smell: Sweet malts, faint hops, nothing too special that stands out. With the flavor in my mouth I can detect some citris (mainly lemon).

Taste: Awful is the most elegant way to put it. For an IPA there is no bite and the aftertaste is washed out. Nothing lingers on your tongue. Another user described it as "Bland" for IPA which might have been true if not for...

Mouthfeel: I've never used this to describe a beer before but I would have to say - Painful. I felt distress holding this thing in my mouth. My mother watched me drink this and she was laughing at the face I made every time I put the beer to my mouth. I have had worse experiences but this is the worst for an IPA. There was no volume to it and unlike water it wasn't a neutral feel to hold in my mouth.

Overall: One word - skip

Serving type: straight from the tap at Keeper's Pub

brpendergast85, Mar 25, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

redfox405, Mar 04, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

This is a hazy amber colored IPA with a tall frothy layer of white head. It has good retention and laces well.
The aroma is of citrus and it also has a noticeable grainy smell.
The flavor is surprisingly malty for an IPA. There are grainy tones and the hops are somewhat muted.
Mouth feel is medium in body and moderately carbonated.
This is a decent beer, though it seems to fall short of the average American IPA. It leaves me craving for something with more hops.

Naes, Jul 11, 2006

Massbmx, Aug 27, 2012

jmlewisjr, Jan 28, 2014

timoteo833, Apr 13, 2014

NHbeerfishing, Dec 31, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Originally reviewed on May 22, 2006. Julios Spring Beer Festival. Aroma of feneel and potpourri. Pour of hazed deep golden, rimmed with whisith. Flavor is meak and lightly malty. Hops? They seem severly subdued, to me. A highly buttery malt follows, with copious diacetyl and plenty of biting sock penny resin. Finishes dry, but uninteresting.

CharlesDarwin, Dec 10, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

A - Pours copper with minimal head, decent retention and sticky lacing

S - Lots of fruity aroma with hints of apple and berries. Light malty aroma

T&M - Herbal and spicy hops, malty backbone. Fruity esters, finish is slightly "sticky". Some biscuity notes.

D - Not too sure about this one. The finish feels s little off and it's a bit on the sweet side. Decent, but not sure I want more then one.

ZeroSignal, Jul 29, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Pours a brilliant medium copper with a substantial light tan head.

Aroma: Good hoppy tones with some sweet malt giving depth.

Taste: Nice hoppy bitterness throughout, especially in the finish. Malt adds a good backbone. Could use some more hops, IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Flavorful, but too light. Needs more body and wieght.

Drinkability: A good effort, but not hoppy enough for an IPA, IMHO. Give it a try if you are in the area, but no need to seek it out.

Thanks to Devildogg59 for the bottle.

winomark, Jan 26, 2004

Hazy apricot color with a chunky, lumpy, frothy head. Had to actually get my nose wet to pick up a tiny aroma of hop and citrus. Flavor is initially citrusy, but a very low hop profile. A bit of an alcohol flourish in the finish, and then a strange metallic aftertaste. Sort of a "corn out of a tin can" kinda thing. Fine lacing down the glass. This seemed more like a pale ale, but the metallic flavor will keep me away.

far333, Nov 21, 2003

AGust82, Oct 09, 2013

osant37, Jan 19, 2014

tbonci, Sep 26, 2013

Nichols33, Jun 22, 2014

A little whiff of hops from the bottle when I opened it turned my head and raised my hopes. What followed however was a competently executed but utterly conventional east coast style IPA. The aroma is malty, caramel and sweet with relatively mild floral hops and a character that reminded me of nothing so much as a box of crayons. The flavor is caramel, a bit toffee-like with floral hops over a kiss of citrus. For an IPA, it is slightly malt forward. Mouthfeel is fairly dense.

Seanibus, Mar 17, 2010