Larry - Wachusett Brewing Company

LarryLarry

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Patrick on 07-25-2009

Larry is an award winning brew. Coming in at an 8.5% alcohol by volume and 85IBUs...Larry is a true unfiltered imperial IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Larry Alström Bros
2.56/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap in a shaker pint. Hazy light amber topped with a half-finger of foam. This soon becomes a skim, but the lacing-to-head ratio is pretty impressive.

Big caramel nose with tropical fruits and touch of an odd savory note. Onion maybe? Boozy and smooth with a thickish body that seems to blunt the bitterness. Lotsa caramel here, but some interesting tropical flavors peeking through- melon, mango, grapefruit rind. A touch of pine. A little too heavy for its own good. Not bad, but thick, malty DIPAs just aren’t my thing. (529 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

6/12/2011

Bottle courtesy if bring. Snifter. Enjoy by September 2011.

A: Dark orange and transparent with a frothy white cap. Scattered lacing.

S: Heavy on the malt right off the bat (caramel). Dank pine and a little onion. Faint grapefruit. Pretty muted and malt heavy.

T: Lots of caramel with a whisper of grapefruit. Some pine. Moderate bitterness. Malt heavy with little hop expression.

M: Medium in body with medium moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and a little heavy.

Overall: I'm not sure if this is an older bottle or if the beer is normally like this, but I'm not impressed. Not at all hoppy and far too much malt. (638 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had 4 cans out of a six pack over a few week period. Tried to like it but I cannot find a reason to like this beer. Cannot relate to the good reviews. (150 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a bright orange with a 3 finger foamy head. Leaves lacing down the glass.

A little bit of pine and citrus with a strong malt backbone.

Starts off with some heavy caramel and a bit of citrus hop character. The sweetness stays throughout, but is overpowered near the end by a piney resin flavor.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are low-medium. A tad bit creamy.

Not terribly impressed by this one. Leans too much toward malt for the style. (442 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap @ Pour Judgement. $6/pint.

A- Really pale pour, not what I remember, pretty good head though. Lacing is spotty.

S- Nice piny hops with a twinge of onion which again I do not remember. I thought this one was much more floral when I had it before.

T- Nice pine bitterness, but there's a bit of the gubna in this one. This beer is not how I remember it, dirty lines? Old keg? better in the bottle? Onion/garlic and a rough, harsh bitterness. Hop profile seems to hav shifted away from the tropical fruit notes I enjoyed in the bottle.

M- Pretty potent lingering hops, moderate body.

D- Low. I did not care for this one on tap. I did not finish this beer, which is very rare. I will have to try this again in bottles to see if my plate has shifted drastically or if this was just a fluke. As it stands, I'd suggest getting bottles of this and checking the freshness date. (880 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Hazy and pale golden. Small head but faded fairly quickly.

S: Hints of apple, citrus but hops mostly faint. Mostly caramel background.

T: Slight pine and citrus, but again faint. Really sweet, chalky and bready caramel take stage.

M: Slightly sweet, light bodied and soft on carbonation.

O: Just an okay beer to me, just doesn't have that hop presence on the nose and taste that I look for. Kinda weird it had an almost tart taste and smell. Maybe it is slightly old, but no bottle date. (495 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous gift from ClownShoesDreams, with an attached post-it: "Some folks think this beer is better than GUBNA." LOL! Thanks, Gregg!

A: Pours a murky, soft amber-orange body with glowing ruby/pink tints against the light. The head is a long-lived finger of off-white head; it retreats into a broken collar with some scattered bubbles on top of the brew. A little lace from the head, nothing during the drink.

S: Not a particularly vibrant nose, but it's easy to appreciate an orange peel and tangerine note as well as floral hops. Malt is restrained; it lends a bready and caramelly scent to the beer.

T: I enjoy the citrus notes here, though they carry an earthier/bitter bent to them than I usually experience -- as above, I liken it to orange peel over pulp. It blends nicely with the floral hops here. It's maltier than I expected from the nose, but not into American barleywine territory. Definitely an East Coast DIPA, though.

M: A little higher than medium viscosity. Medium bodied in flavor, with a slightly watery finish. There's a light harshness in the finish from the hops.

D: Fairly easy to drink, and quite an enjoyable flavor. I would never put it in the same class as Pliny the Elder or HopSlam, but it's a pretty close competitor for Leafer Madness or Hercules. If it were available locally for cheaper than those, I'd buy it.

And yes, it's better than GUBNA. But then, most beers are... (1,447 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

22 oz bomber into a shaped pint glass. Best before December 2011. Purchased in a gas station cooler...

A - Dark amber body with a lot of carbonation. Dirty soapy light khaki head.

S - Piney hops with some savory elements...I can pick up some dank onions. Floral and malty with just a hint of grapefruit. I really prefer fruitier IIPA's.

T - Very dank and dark. Lots of biscuity malts and caramel. The hops seem fairly faded and in the background but threes still a decent amount of bitterness. Pretty average. Mouth feel is medium with a good level of carbonation.

O - I was not impressed with this one. I've always heard good things about this local IIPA, and it took me a while to finally grab one. This just isn't doing it for me, very average and boring. (762 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

From a bottle to snifter. Thanks for the hookup Mike.

Pours a nice burnt orange color. Beautiful thick 3 finger head. Piney citrus comes through the nose. Cutting through all of that is the malt. Plenty of it. I'm worried now. Taste is on par for smell. Nice pine and floral citrus followed by caramel malt. Gross. Malty beer drives me nuts. The best thing about this is how well it is carbonated and carries in my mouth.

I really was excited to try this. Pretty much fell flat for me. Why is it there are some imperial ipa's that seem borderline barleywines? I don't feel I was duped but this was just pretty awful. (618 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%

Well, I was looking forward to this one but it left me disappointed.

A: Looks nice - great copper color with a three finger off-white head that falls into basically nothing besides a thin white ring around the side of the glass. Some lacing.

S: Some grapefruit and pine, but it smells pretty sweet overall. Biscuit, peaches, and caramel play a big part. The alcohol is also noticeable in the aroma.

T: Lots of malty, caramel sweetness. Hop flavor is minor compared to what I was expecting from a DIPA. It comes through at the end with some grapefruit and citrus zest.

M: Very sticky sweet. Carbonation is a little low.

O: I can usually put down a DIPA pretty easily, but I'm struggling on this. The sweetness is just way too high. I'm hoping this is just a bad bottle, but I was told it was fresh. (803 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.3%

Had this on-tap at American Craft in Brookline today. Review from notes.

5.0 A: Hazy medium orange color. One and a half fingers of super creamy off-white head. Excellent retention and lots of lacing. Awesome!

3.5 S: Lots of citrus hops and some herbal going on here. Malts are in the background. Orange and mango most apparent. Some pine as well. Overall, aroma could be stronger.

2.5 T: Malts are bready, which I don't really care for in an IPA. Hops aren't too bold either, but still pleasant nonetheless. Orange and mango again, but not as strong as in the nose. Grapefruit and a touch of pine show up.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good carbonation and reasonably creamy.

3.0 D: Decent overall, but nothing special. (715 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

Blind beer #5 is a bomber. It opens easily with my sweet new bottle opener...

Pours a nice clear orange color, thick head falls to a cap that leaves behind copious amounts of lacing. (4.5)

Something is wrong with its smell. It has a wet cardboard smell. I also get whiffs of orange, toffee, bread, and pecan. (3.0)

Taste of faded hops. I taste bread, some overripe tropical fruits, and pecan. (3.0)

Medium body, nice carbonation, smooth, creamy finish. (4.25)

Despite the off flavor, and aroma; this beer was still easy to drink. I would like to give this one another chance. (3.25)

Im guessing its a Double IPA thats past its prime, or a barleywine that has been aged badly. The reveal is: Wachusett Larry, a double ipa. It still has a few weeks left on the enjoy by date, but it has past its prime for sure. Oh well I have a good buzz now! (847 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, pours a clouded amber, left fairly thin head that leaves a moderate amount of lacing.

Smells very fruity, tropical fruits and some citrus.

Tastes grassy, pungent, with a strong bitter finish. Sweet aftertaste, it struck me as a little odd, felt like it was sweetened purposefully.

Medium body, medium-high carbonation. I dislike hoppy beer so I can't really rate to style, but I give them a try anyway. (444 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: Golden color with a slight orange hue, pours with aggressive head that is frothy and white and lingers a bit, leaves tons of lacing
S: grapefruit and orange with a sweetness similar to cane sugar with a bit of depth
T: hits heavy at first and then kicks in with a slight bit of funk, moves into a bit of darker citrus kind of like roasted grapefruit, ends with a slight alcohol tinge
M: very thick on the palate, thicker than i like to see in imperial ipas, medium carbonation tingle, light alcohol burn
O: not the best ive seen, a little thick, harsh, and heavy, still drinkable but not something i would have again (645 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Picked up a bomber at People's Liquor in Warwick, RI while here for a wedding.
Poured into an over sized wine goblet. Nice bright amber color with 2 finger creamy head. Smell is ok with just a bit of pine and citrus. Taste is kind of disappointing, bit of pine and citrus again with a big bready malt presence. A bit too well balanced for my double ipa expectations. Mouth feel is good but nothing spectacular. Its a well balanced, no hint of alcohol double ipa. Not bad but not great either. I think it may have been better when very fresh but I am glad I got to try it while up here. (585 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.3%

Nice little extra from Charliedvrs - Cheers bro!

22oz to pint
*Notes from 08/29/11

A: Larry pours a nice looking lazy golden light amber color with a perfect 2 finger white cap. It just pockets away at a slow pace with spider webs of lace all the way down.

S: Aromas seem quite muted for a DIPA. Light floral nose and some pale malts. A little fruity ale yeast and clean water. Touch of alcohol.

T: Big chewy caramel malts are dominant. A bit juicy with fruits and some spice notes. There is some decent hop bitterness across the palate that is peppery apricot. Sugary sweet toffee caramel body. Slightly warming.

M: Medium body - Creamy texture. Slightly sticky mouthcoat.

D: Average drinkability for a DIPA.
More on the sweet side for my preference and those chewy caramel malts can become a bit filling. Not totally out of whack balance wise. Some decent hops going on in there. Always up for trying new DIPA's (920 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to nevins for this one.

APPEARANCE: Big, full inch-thick head with a variety of bubble sizes sits atop a light copper beer. Brilliant and clear, Larry Imperial IPA looks a bit like a light beer, kind of odd for a DIPA.

SMELL: Wow, the smell does not match the look at all. This is certainly not a light beer. Strong malt, floral and...is that black licorice? I think so. And mint? Does anyone else get this. Either way, potent smelling beer.

TASTE: I'm not a fan of licorice so I tend to focus on the flavor whenever it is present and after taking a sniff, my palate is on guard for it. Of course, it is the first flavor I recognize, but shockingly it doesn't bother me too much. Larry is apparently a very malty man and that helps balance out the initial shock to the palate. The malt, in turn, is balanced out by the 85 IBUs that provide a nice, bitter backbone and tail end of the sip. This is a very complex beer.

MOUTHFEEL: Sparkly and very lively, the Larry has quite a bit of carbonation.

OVERALL: I can certainly appreciate a beer like this, but it isn't really my thing. The licorice was a bit weird, and I applaud Wachusett for taking the approach they took to this beer, but I probably won't be hunting down another. (1,239 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

decided to give this another try today. i dunno if i'm just getting bad/non-fresh batches (these cans list september 2015 as the best by) but i can't relate to the reviews on here. honestly, the 12 cans i've had pretty much remind me of the genesee ice 40s i used to drink. (273 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This one is the orange IPA color with a very white foam in the tall tulip. Clear with no sediment in the bottle. Nice champagne bubbles and plenty spritzy on the tongue. A fruity hop aroma.

Some malty sweetness and a big alcohol flavor, sort of like Everclear and club soda. But here come the hops! Bitter and resiny, with a sharp mouthfeel. Very bitter aftertaste. Dry finish, in spite of the malt. A hint of spoiled fruit and mustard greens.

This one is a little more acidic and bitter than I enjoy. So many IPAs, and this one may be much loved on its home turf, but I don't find it worth the detour. From the 22 oz bottle bought at K'nB Wine Cellars in San Diego for $8. (675 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Big thanks to Todes for randomly giving me this bottle. Awesome.

A - Pours gold-orange, translucent, short-lived head.

S - Vegetal, dank, woody, resiny hop, perhaps reminding me of (the dreaded IPA boogeyman) GUBNA.

T - Tastes good, hoppy, bitter and strong, with a big pale and caramel maltiness to back it up. More of a balanced flavor. Not writing to Mother over it, though...

M - IPA. Mehhhh territory.

D - A middling effort in an overcrowded style, in an overcrowded market, in an overcrowded locality. I feel another mehhh coming on... (547 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- The appearance is a hazy orange amber. Not much head to speak of when poured into a tulip. Very small amount of lacing as you drink.

S- Other reviewers mention banana and grapefruit in the nose. I get that, but I also get piney, resiny, apricot. The smell is sugary, almost like a sweet apricot jam. The smell is unique but not something that strikes my fancy. Not a prototypical DIPA for sure.

M- The mouthfeel is pretty standard, a little on the syrupy side. Not overly carbonated.

T- The taste is just not something I prefer. I almost feel like the beer I tried was not what this beer was intended to be, like it was contaminated somehow. But, I like my double IPAs a bit more citrusy and the hop profile on this beer is just not appleaing to me.

O- Overall, I would not go out of my way to drink this beer again. (837 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a Sam Adams Lager glass. Cloudy orange color. Head is three fingers and a frothy white. Lace has stuck around very nice.

Orange citrus smell. Some bread smells. That's about all I'm getting from this.

Tastes of bitter citrus hops. Kinda like an orange sweetened yellow grapefruit. Some yeast flavors come through. No alcohol. A tid bit malt sweetness at the end.

The mouth is for the style what it should be. This one is very easy drinking. Not watery or empty at all.

Overall this is not a bad IPA. I don't know the price on this cause it was an extra from masterhomebrewer, thanks again, but if was reasonably priced I would buy this one on a regular basis. (676 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a bomber into my Founders snifter. Got this guy as an extra in a trade (Thanks Gushue!).

Best by: September 2011

A: Pours a wonderful amber with lighter hued orange edges. Nice 1 finger pure white head with not very much retention, even with a vigorous pour. The ripple-effect from the lace was also very nice on the drink's way down.

S: The smell is not as pungent as I would like, but I'm still picking up hints of grapefruit and some pine-like hops.

T: The light bitter fruit hits you up front then fades back down to mellow oaky bitterness. The finish is a little less than stellar with sort of a woody and light pine finish.

M: Medium to light bodied with an oily finish that leads to semi-bland finish. The palate is struggling to cling to some semblance of taste, but it's failing.

O: While the brew was very refreshing and an excellent kick start I'm afraid it fell a little flat at the end. (917 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle. Pours a slightly hazy orange with a nice 2 finger head. Nice lace coating the glass. Citrus rind and grapefruit aromas. Bitter hops balanced with a malty backbone. Decent double ipa. Medium mouthfeel. Not sure why all the hype around this one though. It's not bad but nothign mind blowing either. (304 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at the brewery and it looked good and smelled good, but the flavor was very basic with mild citrus hops and a malty backbone that resembled biscuit. With that being said, it was not overly hoppy to be deemed a DIPA. It did mask the ABV quite well, but overall it was just a good, regular IPA in my view. (311 characters)

Larry from Wachusett Brewing Company