Microbrew Invitational

LarryLarry

Wachusett Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Larry is an award winning brew. Coming in at an 8.5% alcohol by volume and 85IBUs...Larry is a true unfiltered imperial IPA.

Added by Patrick on 07-25-2009

Reviews: 330 | Ratings: 949
4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

Delicious IPA
L - pours a hazy, copper color with thick, cling white foam
A - hops and lots of malt
T - maltiness on the nose is balanced out by hop and resin/pine flavors. Nice combination of refreshing and bitter on the finish.
F - medium body, sweetness from the malt and good carbonation

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%

From the can, best before 8/12/2016. Collects in a snifter with a bright golden orange color and a healthy looking white head. The aroma is sweet malt and candied citrus, bubblegum, dried mango, candied peach, honey, melon mint, and artificial tropical flavors. Good carbonation on this one keeps it from feeling too sticky and sweet, medium mouth feel with light bitterness. Dank pine resin comes through in the taste, along with apricot fruit leather, cranberry, biscuity malt, passion fruit, sweet orange, and grass.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The aroma is peach and nectarine for days with some biscuity malt.

The beer is less tropical on flavor with up front citrus peel, orange, lemon, a medium breadiness with some resinous and floral hops. The beer dries out well with a full on bitterness that lingers on the finish.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hey, this wasn't a beer a liked a few years ago, but things have changed at Wachusett! Tastes great now, really nice balance of mild spice, hop and alcohol to a clean finish. It's actually pretty darn good now!

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Nice golden orange pour, and a foamy white head after a hard pour. Dank and resiny hops with herbal notes and a dry bready aroma. The taste follows closely with the finish being mostly bitter. This has good body, flavor and drinkability for an east coast IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

There is something about this beer that I just don't love. I like it, for sure, but likely wouldn't go looking for it. The can I had oddly seemed a little burnt.

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really dig this beer. The hop mix is great; apart from bittering hops you get simcoe for earthy resin, amarillo for orange, cascade for floral/citrus, and chinook for pine. The beer looks awesome in the glass, unfiltered and hazy with a nice head that sticks around for a bit. I thought the mouthfeel was great as a result, carbonation picks up the malt gravity and abv, which by the way is pretty well hidden. People may be under appreciating how good this beer is because it's fairly obtainable, which is fine by me because I can just go get more.

2.47/5  rDev -38.7%

I'm from the Wachusett area (north central mass). That being said, I wish it weren't such a mediocre a beer. `I also cannot understand the over the top reviews on this carp. Yes, I said carp, no typo. Out of 10 this is a 4. If you would like to experience a truly heavenly brew in this genre, I strongly suggest ingesting a Heavy seas Double Cannon. Mwah! Baby. ggggggggg. To each his own. This world doesn't suck, people do.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

L: hazy gold, 2” lace, rocky, foamy reduces to ¼” S: Citrus, biscuit, fruit. T: starts with a burst of malt, then fruit, then citrus rind hops, lingering aftertaste. F: Creamy, luscious, moderate carbonation, medium body. O: A very well done DIPA.

4.93/5  rDev +22.3%

Another great IPA by Wachusett brewing. Love the name..not sure what is about? Great taste..strong and heavy with a kick. I usually drink the bottles only...

3.67/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Earthy and floral with a hint of citrus and spice. Nice hazy yellow with decent lacing. Smell matches flavor pretty spot on with some biscuity malt presence. Decent DIPA with a huge smack of bitterness.

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at the brewery and it looked good and smelled good, but the flavor was very basic with mild citrus hops and a malty backbone that resembled biscuit. With that being said, it was not overly hoppy to be deemed a DIPA. It did mask the ABV quite well, but overall it was just a good, regular IPA in my view.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: slight haze; bronze in color; 1 finger off white head that receded to a wispy cap; nice lacing;

S: floral, earthy, a hint of tropical fruit;

T: earthy up front; floral and toffee at mid-palate; floral and earthy with moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not exceptional in any way, but very nice; I'm always happy with a DIPA that ends bitter;

2.72/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had 4 cans out of a six pack over a few week period. Tried to like it but I cannot find a reason to like this beer. Cannot relate to the good reviews.

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bomber bottled on 3-8-15. So fresh, so delicious, so refreshing the 8.5 ABV is really well hidden. I've made Larry my new go to DIPA, I really like how well balanced it is. I've been drinking this beer for years, I can't believe I've never reviewed it. Sorry I haven't showed the love, Larry!!

3.99/5  rDev -1%

12 oz can, best by date of 6/30/15

slightly hazy orange golden color. good head retention and lacing. nice overall hop flavor aroma - citrus, pine, herbal. just a bit of malt to balance things out. medium bodied

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to Imperial at the moment. 8.5 ABV and 85 IBU's accompanied with citrusy notes makes this a must buy again and again. Unfiltered and has a head that dissipates rather quickly after pouring into a snifter.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- The appearance is a hazy orange amber. Not much head to speak of when poured into a tulip. Very small amount of lacing as you drink.

S- Other reviewers mention banana and grapefruit in the nose. I get that, but I also get piney, resiny, apricot. The smell is sugary, almost like a sweet apricot jam. The smell is unique but not something that strikes my fancy. Not a prototypical DIPA for sure.

M- The mouthfeel is pretty standard, a little on the syrupy side. Not overly carbonated.

T- The taste is just not something I prefer. I almost feel like the beer I tried was not what this beer was intended to be, like it was contaminated somehow. But, I like my double IPAs a bit more citrusy and the hop profile on this beer is just not appleaing to me.

O- Overall, I would not go out of my way to drink this beer again.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy copper/burnt orange color. With a Dover white colored head about 1 finger. Good lacing and ring around the top. Very good looking beer. Smells immediately grassy and earthy, even a bit of warm milk and some definite yellow sour grapefruit in there. The mouthfeel was medium, creamy with low carbonation. Taste was sharp. Grassy and dried citrus. Fairly spicy with a hint of malt sweetness. A touch boozy but with pretty well hidden for an 8.5ABV. Finishes dry and bitter and definitely hoppy. It gave me the urge to eat some extra sharp white cheddar. So I did, and it wen very well together. Very good beer.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz. can into a Founders snifter.

Pours a frothy, 2 finger white head with good retention. Beer is a clear copper. Lacing is patchy and spotty with great stick. Very nice.

Nose is pine, tree sap and resin, cane sugar, caramel, brown sugar, and a sticky hop bitterness. Really aromatic too. Pretty good.

Opens cane and brown sugar with hints of caramel, pine, citrus, and tree sap hop bitterness. Resiny in the middle with more citrus hop bitterness, grass and bark. Finishes hoppy and juicy with grapefruit and amber on the aftertaste. Its ok but again, not my type of IIPA hop profile.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth and goes down warm and quenching. Finishes dry with a filmy, lingering aftertaste. Good.

A good beer but this is different than I remember. Clearly well made but the hop profile is just not my cup of tea.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, pours a clouded amber, left fairly thin head that leaves a moderate amount of lacing.

Smells very fruity, tropical fruits and some citrus.

Tastes grassy, pungent, with a strong bitter finish. Sweet aftertaste, it struck me as a little odd, felt like it was sweetened purposefully.

Medium body, medium-high carbonation. I dislike hoppy beer so I can't really rate to style, but I give them a try anyway.

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can poured into my tulip. It's a light copper with a 1 finger, white head. A little soapy in appearance. Legs slide down quickly but laces the grass nicely. Smell is fairly strong. Resinous, piney, and a very small hint fruit at the back end. Taste is very pine and resin right up front. I'd say the resin is a little more prominent. Finishes with a bready maltiness to it. Well balances but muted. Feel is dry with a lingering bitterness. Crisp and medium bodied with a very low carbonation.

It's strange that I really liked all the components of this beer but thought the taste was the weakest. I think it was just a hair muted in comparison to the nose. Still a nice, enjoyable brew.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

one of the better beers ive had from these guys, which unfortunately still isnt saying a whole lot. its a really blonde imperial ipa, with a bright yellow color, really pale for the style, and with a thick white head over two inches high. it s smells still quite sweet from the grain, like it could get fermented down even dryer and stronger, and the hops dont really pop in the nose for me. the flavor, despite being done with the lighter color grain, is a little cerealy tasting, it overbalanced the hops, which come across leafy and vegetal but without the oily intensity i usually look for in a big ipa. bitterness is robust though. a rather drinkable can of big ipa, being a little lighter and not so huge in body or even abv for the style, but it just doesnt seem special to me, underwhelming but not bad overall.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked up a six pack at Beverage Baron in Barre, VT. Had I know it was as good as it turned out to be, I would have gotten a case! It looks like your typical "really good IPA"....hazy, orange, looks really good. Again, like all good IPAs I could smell it as soon as I opened the can and it smelled like lemons, grapefruit and maybe some orange and pine. The taste followed the smell with a dry, bitter finish which I really liked. In all, this was an excellent beer and a very pleasant surprise. When I get back to Vermont, I'll be looking forward to grabbing another case or two (Always fun to share with friends!).

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

decided to give this another try today. i dunno if i'm just getting bad/non-fresh batches (these cans list september 2015 as the best by) but i can't relate to the reviews on here. honestly, the 12 cans i've had pretty much remind me of the genesee ice 40s i used to drink.

Larry from Wachusett Brewing Company