Wachusett Larry - Wachusett Brewing Company

Wachusett LarryWachusett Larry

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Patrick on 07-25-2009

Larry is an award winning brew. Coming in at an 8.5% alcohol by volume and 85IBUs...Larry is a true unfiltered imperial IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wachusett Larry Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle. Pours a slightly hazy orange with a nice 2 finger head. Nice lace coating the glass. Citrus rind and grapefruit aromas. Bitter hops balanced with a malty backbone. Decent double ipa. Medium mouthfeel. Not sure why all the hype around this one though. It's not bad but nothign mind blowing either.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Bomber into a hotel rocks glass at a hotel in Cambridge. Purchased for $6 at Boston Wine Exchange.

Appearance: Mildly hazy copper-peach color, good rings of lacing, with nice scattered raindrops of bubbles on the top.

Smell: Notes of peach and citrus dominate, with back-end apples, honey, and caramel sweetness. Balanced, but I'm not getting a lot of complexity here.

Taste: Not especially harsh, but the bitterness level's overpowering and hop or malt fruit esters from really developing here, and I say that because it seems like a hindrance to the beer that they're not, in fact, developing. I supposed it's a good thing for a hop head, which I can be on certain days, but I also think the harshness shouldn't overshadow balance and nuance, and right now no malt characteristics especially, aside from minor fruit esters that see the light of day sporadically, are coming through.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a good burst of middle and back-end, nicely in the middle and not going too far in either direction.

Drinkability: I'm not too keen on a beer when it's best aspects are look and feel, which is how I feel about this. The price point seems pretty good, and I wonder what some age would do to this since the hops seem pretty overpowering, but I think there are better ones out there. Glad I got a chance to try it, though.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Grabbed a couple of these from Redstone Liquors.

A - a clear Orange with a big white head. Lots of sticky lacing on the glass as this one is guzzled down.

S - Nice citrus smelling hop flavor with a hint of tropical fruit as well. A bit of a spicy smelling hop aroma as well. Not picking up much sweetness or malt in this just hops hops hops. That being said it isn't mind blowingly aromatic.

T - Nice mix of tropical and citrus hop flavor up front with a solid caramel back bone to hold it all together. Fairly bitter but the malt backbone keeps it from really buckling my tongue. However I am not saying this is balanced the hops definitely win this battle and the bitterness does linger with a little floral hop flavor.

M - medium body with a fair amount of carbonation

D - Pretty damn good DIPA. If this was a local I would be picking this one up regularly.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Pours a deep orange gold with a bright white head. Head dissipates after about 20 minutes, some nice lacing.

S - A nice bouquet of oranges. Some spice too. Notes are fairly mellow and blend well together.

T - Citrus overtones and spicy undertones, especially coriander. Flavors are very smooth and drinkable. So smooth for an imperial IPA. Very straightforward.

M - Light to medium bodied, fairly lightly carbonated. Feels wonderful on the tongue, perfect for a summer or spring day.

D - This is extremely drinkable for this style. Wonderful job of hiding the alcohol, deviously deceptive. Excellent beer!

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

I've had this beer a few times, just not getting my review on here. Most recent tasting was in May

A: Brownish amber pour that leaves a 1 finger white head. There is some sticky lacing left behind

S: Good amount of hops. I get a small amount of onion. I know there weren't any Summit hops used and it isn't as overpowering as GUBNA, but I detect onion a little. Thankfully there are other hops used to drown out whatever is causing that. Also some bready malt mixed in there

T: Similar to the smell in terms of hops (lots of them, with just a slight onion presence). Also some sweet fruit and malt flavors that come out, maybe even some honey

M: Great carbonation, tingly on the tongue. Smooth in the middle and a bitter finish

D: Pretty good beer, but nothing super special. I enjoyed it, but there are many other DIPA's I would choose before it

4.03/5  rDev 0%

served on tap at American Craft in Boston, served in a standard pint glass

A - finger of foamy loose eggshell colored head. the beer is very clear, light amber in color. leaves thick veiled lacing behind.

S - pine heavy hops, grassy with a sharp biscuity malt bed. hints of caramelized grapefruit and oranges, floral hops, and citrus.

T - citrusy hops steering towards pineapple, oranges, mango...cut into sharply by wet pine needles and grass. heavy bitter hop bite (more of a 'crunch'). pine-heavy finish, earthy.

M - thin body, strong carbonation cuts into the beer sharply, all those nice flavors kind of fall apart to fizz in the mouth.

D - starts off like the best of them, slowly dwindles to a "good" DIPA thanks to a weird, undercarbonated body.

4.93/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance: Yellow/orange color, clear, with one finger of foamy off-white head. Leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Super floral hops, grapefruit, some yeast and malts in the background, but mostly a full, tropical delicious hoppiness dominates

Taste/Mouthfeel: Fruity, tropical hops hit first, followed by a great, strong, malty background. Aftertaste is short and while the hoppy bitterness is totally there, it hits in the front and doesn't linger past its welcome. Mouthfeel is medium to full, and creamy with a slightly dry finish

Notes: Drinkability is awesome. Great, excellent, perfect beer! Well done!

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Had to go to MA to find some but I finally get to see if this beer lives up to the recent hype. It does. 22oz bottle. Appearance is a cloudy amber with some lacing. The aroma is outstanding. Hops, grapefruit, citrus and some pine. Great bitter taste. More grapefruit and some citrus flavors travel with the bitterness. I'm glad I bought all the bombers they had at the store. Sadly there were only 2. I will be back soon for some more Larry.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

By far the best beer coming out of this brewery. It pours a nice amber color with a thick creamy white head and a nose full of pine needles. There is plenty of retention and lacing going on as well.

This DIPA is spot on, not too much ABV or booziness, not too much over wrought hop flavors or over the top bittering, not too syrupy either. The beer is well balanced, has a nice piney and estery hop character, is plenty malty in the middle, and has a variety of hops used to impart flavors, aroma, and bittering. I wish they would share the combination, it would be nice to know this. The aftertaste is mild, a bit drying in the finish, a touch tart in spots too. Overall, this is a really nice DIPA and worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

A-Amber in color with an assertive head.

S-a bit of malt but definitely overwhelmed by the citrus hops. Pine and citrus hops are quite strong in the nose.

T-more balanced than expected. plenty of hops but the malt makes a memorable appearence. Grass and pine-peppered citrus flesh. Slight green onion.

M-Good mouthfeel. nice and thick.

D-good drinkability, and its a local one so bring me another

Edit 9/11/13
Exceptional out of the can!

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance is rich amber-gold with a thick, lingering, foamy head. Clarity is high. Immediate aromas of pungent herb and lemon zest with a firm backbone of clean yeasty goodness.

Mouthfeel is otherworldly; silky and with slightly oily, wonderful viscosity that nonetheless finishes clean.

Flavor is of classic IPA, but amplified wonderfully without losing balance. Hop profile does not overwhelm with bitterness, as in some double IPAs. Larry is potent without being extreme, resulting in a supremely drinkable brew. Aftertaste is soft and pleasant. This is a DIPA that shows self-restraint.

Wonderfully done with a richness and fullness that you can take to the bank. I could have another now...

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Incredible

Pours light brown, somewhat cloudy, with an awesome head

lots of orange and citrus in the aroma,

Great bitterness, very fruity on the palate with the presence of a hop sting which mellows out to a bit of a booziness.

Very palatable but the alcohol becomes apparent as you sip on.

Overall, this beer is fantastic. Lots of hop, citrus and flavor, will be stocking up.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into my trusty tulip. A half-inch white head shrinks to lacing on top of a light straw color. This smells fantastic. Lots of tropical fruits and sweet fruit punch. This is the third time I have this beer and this is the best it's smelled because this is the freshest it's been. The taste is slightly sweet, and mimics the smell with a slight hint of citrus in the finish. This is one of the less astringent DIPA's I've had, but the flavor is quite unique in it's marriage of hops and malt. Delicious! Carbonation is relatively light on this one. Definitely wish I bought more, I could drink this all day!

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is grapefruit and oranges. Very fruity smelling. The flavor is nice juicy grapefruit with some oranges and caramel malt. Low to medium bitterness. Very drinkable. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%

Big thanks to Todes for randomly giving me this bottle. Awesome.

A - Pours gold-orange, translucent, short-lived head.

S - Vegetal, dank, woody, resiny hop, perhaps reminding me of (the dreaded IPA boogeyman) GUBNA.

T - Tastes good, hoppy, bitter and strong, with a big pale and caramel maltiness to back it up. More of a balanced flavor. Not writing to Mother over it, though...

M - IPA. Mehhhh territory.

D - A middling effort in an overcrowded style, in an overcrowded market, in an overcrowded locality. I feel another mehhh coming on...

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

I found this at the local bottle shop and gave it a try. I poured it into a shaker pint glass and got a two finger white head the lasted and laced down the sides of the glass. The brew had a hazy orange color to it.

If I didn't know better I would have thought this brew was from out west with all the fresh Hop aromas' coming off it. It was nice floral/citric, oranges and fresh cut grass come to mind. It is toward the bitter side in the flavor department and I enjoyed it that way I did get a little alcohol heat from this one, but I wouldn't have wanted to wait to drink it, and ruin the hop profile. The feel was the light side of medium, and it had a ton of carbonation.

Drinkability is ok, but I don't think anyone would need more than 22 oz in a sitting. A nicely built local DIPA. I will gladly grab this one again.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful orange with a one-finger white head. Nice lacing throughout. Strong citrus aroma, grapefruit and orange shine though. Taste starts off with big citrus hops. Grapefruit dominates, followed by orange and a hint of lemon. Sweet malt balances the hops perfectly. A bit of a creamy, bready malt. Pine and earthy hops come back around to finish the beer. Mild bitterness. Truly a fantastic, well-balanced flavor profile. Alcohol is well hidden. Light, creamy mouthfeel. Goes down easy.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz bottle. 2009

Pours cloudy amber, off white head. I wish I waited to pours the bottom sediment as it is bottle conditioned beer.

Smell's good and hoppy, but aroma might be slightly subdued because I am drinking it nearly a year after it was brewed.

Super bitter taste, nice alcohol flavor to it; not at all overpowering. Good malty start to the sip to support such a hoppy flavor. Nice sweetness to the malt as well.

Mouthfeel is actually oily from the amount of hops used. I kind of like it when that happens.

I quote my friend's recommendation: "that one is a hoppy bastard."

very powerful flavor. I'm still tasting it minutes after finishing the beer. I sure could go for a sour beer now.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I'm not sure what's up with the recent trend of "nothing special" reviews are for this beer... it's flat out great. Certainly better than the much hyped Boy King (review to follow)...

Pours a hazy golden orange hue with solid lacing and retention.

Aroma is rich and complex, orange and pine, passion fruit and maybe a hint of vidalia.

On the palate this is medium bodied, creamy, and with a satisfying mid-palate cracker sweetness that is overwhelmed by a resiny, hoppy burst. Citrus and fruit flavors dominate, filtering out to a clean, dry finish that is firmly bitter with a bit of an edge to it, but not overly astringent (no aspirin notes, here).

The essence of a superb strong west coast style IPA (I guess almost a double? But this really has more of an Alesmith IPA or Union Jack vibe to it, and is to my tastes, the sweet spot for west coast IPAs in terms of ABV). Hop forward in aroma and flavor, bold but well attenuated and "balanced" by just enough mid palate sweetness to accentuate the flavors, but no caramel and malt character to subdue them.

This should be sought after.

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Good looking pour. Hazy, cloudy, deep amber. Rocky white head, good retention.

S: Citrus and orange peel; discernable bready malt presence. Citrus notes are bright and festive in the nose, enticing.

T: The nose is somewhat deceiving, this is a bitter bomb. Citrus in the aroma is replaced by resinous pine and perceivably generic bitterness. Bready malt is present in the finish, along with some slight alcohol despite a relatively low ABV. Decent taste, but I dont think this is competition for other top tier IPAs in my opinion.

M: Smooth, approaching creamy. Medium bodied I suppose, ample carbonation.

D: A high level of bitterness throws Larry's balance out of whack, even in the presence of some bready malts. This beer is also a bit boozy for a 7.5% DIPA. Pretty good but not great.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Pours a nice dark amber/gold color with a half inch head that left behind a little bit off lacing.

S - Bitter piney hops and a bit of resin. Some citrusy hops and a strong malt backbone with a little bit of corn on the back end that is not unpleasant but not particularly good.

T - Fairly malty with a sour corn after taste. Decent hop profile, mostly pine with some bitter resin and a bit of citrus. It's good, but not great.

M - Medium body, creamy, strong carbonation.

D - Above average, but not super high for the ABV. Had beers with much higher that I've gotten down easier.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Re-reviewing Larry, I do think this is a solid IPA, definitely one to put in the top-tier of IPAs, or at least put it in the conversation. I thought it was rated a little high when I first reviewed, I am not changing my grade, but my outlook has changed.

Nice pour, good foam, orange-brown in color, not transparent, a bit cloudy.

It is very hoppy, the 1st time I had it I thought it wasn't that hoppy, but it is, and it is good hoppy. Nice bitter flavor, slight touch of fruityness, a little on the thicker side, has the nice sticky texture of a good IPA, so it does have all the necessary elements of a top IPA.

Goes down pretty easy, I could have a few of these and be ok with it, not too over the top or too rich.

I think Larry is worth a try, I think you will like it, I do think it is a little below some of the top IPAs but depending on the person you may like it better than some. I think it was in the ballpark.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

Had this on-tap at American Craft in Brookline today. Review from notes.

5.0 A: Hazy medium orange color. One and a half fingers of super creamy off-white head. Excellent retention and lots of lacing. Awesome!

3.5 S: Lots of citrus hops and some herbal going on here. Malts are in the background. Orange and mango most apparent. Some pine as well. Overall, aroma could be stronger.

2.5 T: Malts are bready, which I don't really care for in an IPA. Hops aren't too bold either, but still pleasant nonetheless. Orange and mango again, but not as strong as in the nose. Grapefruit and a touch of pine show up.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good carbonation and reasonably creamy.

3.0 D: Decent overall, but nothing special.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally, a premier west-coast-style IPA from Mass.

A: Hazy - seems common with some really hoppy beers. White head.

S: Very nice blend of citrus, pine and some tropical fruit.

T: About every 3rd sip I could have sworn there were English hops here, the rest was pure PNW.

A very nice beer and it's nice to get it locally!

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Was browsing for my typical 22oz fair of the $10+ bottles when this jumped out at me. For $6 I figured why not. Overall pretty happy with it. Have I had better, sure, but not in this price range (of course, I dont frequent this price range).

A - clear but dark amber with a small head that quickly disappeared leaving thin lacing around the edges and clinging to the glass.

S - Typical IPA odors, the big two being of course citrus and pine. Gotta love the hops.

T - Much like the smell just more intense. A really solid IPA

M - Again, nothing out of the ordinary here. Nice carbination.

D - Very good. I can't remember why I didnt like IPA's for all those years. Really glad I picked up a bottle of this on a whim. Just goes to show you dont always have to spend $10+ to get a good beer.

Wachusett Larry from Wachusett Brewing Company