Wachusett Milk Stout - Wachusett Brewing Company

Wachusett Milk StoutWachusett Milk Stout

Wachusett Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.20% ABV

The darkest beer we have ever brewed. A sweet, malty, full bodied, creamy rich flavored stout with coffee and chocolate tones.

Availability: Sep - Mar

(Beer added by: Daktyls on 09-19-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wachusett Milk Stout Alström Bros

sweisel80, Mar 24, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a nice stout black with a good bit of thick tan head on top but noting too out of the ordinary for a stout.

Sweet cocoa notes greet the nose with a bit of faint roasted coffee note. Malts come through even stronger on the palate with a nice espresso flavor and bittersweet chocolate notes. Not as sweet as some milk stouts but it does have a bit of a sugary sweetness that makes it a nice dessert beer.

Smooth and creamy light bodied mouthfeel. Overall, a nice take on the style and one I certainly would have again paired with the right dessert.

Kinsman, Mar 21, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black with a beauty brown head into my glass. Oh yeah. Just as I envisioned.

Just a hint of lactose and lightly-roasted malt. I see little to be excited about aroma-wise.

Taste is a whole 'nother story. Sweet and creamy with a very good finish. Carbonation is on the high side but not too much.

Ditto for the mouthfeel. Lingering cream, cocoa and coffee notes.

Not the greatest but worth a try.

Brad007, Mar 20, 2012

seanh99, Mar 02, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a dark brown color body with a nice 2" tan head. The smell is a little sweet and malty. The taste has a chocolaty, malty taste, a little sweetness, but not a whole lot. The mouth feel is nice carobnated and overall a really tasty beer.

chefhatt, Feb 29, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Wachusett's Milk Stout has a dark brown body and a small, brown head that leaves some decent lacing behind.

The aroma is sweet with chocolate and a little bit of creamy lacto.

Sweet malts lead things off, with bits of coffee and caramel. Chocolate plays a big role in this one, and it pairs very nicely with a hint of creamy tartness from lacto. The beer is sweet and smooth, leaving me with a positive impression.

This one has just enough body and fairly mild carbonation.

I found this milk stout tucked away in the bottom of my buddy's fridge on a night he mandated we clean out his alcohol. I obliged his request, and this one was a pleasant surprise.

Hojaminbag, Feb 21, 2012

TimoP, Feb 18, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

A-Pours not very stout-like in appearance. I can see through the beers body when held up to the light. One of the first times I have come across such an issue but if it tastes good then I could care less. Minute head that leaves some lacing.

S-Sweet, sugary, chocolatey and rich in lactose. A mild aroma, but it does remind me of most I have had of the same style. It reminds me of chocolate milk.

T-Pretty tasty. Flavor has all the components found in the nose. Milky, sugary, cream, sweet iced coffee with milk and sugar. Not cloying however. Other beers I have had from the same style I have found to be simply too sweet and sugar-laden. This is about as unoffensive this style can be while still boasting enough positive flavor to keep me interested per sip.

M-The beer poured thin and actually I found that the thinness in both look and actual feel is this beer's most spectacular component. The reason why I initially thought I disliked this style was because it is too sweet. After this beer I found that I dislike the style because it is generally too sweet AND thick. The relatively light body of this beer works wonders for me and leaves the cloying feeling at the wayside.

O/D-I enjoyed this beer. I enjoyed it more than I had expected to. I love the body and feel. This may the the lightest bodied stout I have ever had, and I find that it works perfectly when applied to the Milk Stout. Pleasantly surprised.

VelvetExtract, Feb 17, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

nrs207, Feb 04, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer was really dark in color. The lacing was a nice tan, and seemed to form nicely after a slow pour. Instantly I was hit with dark chocolate and coffee aromas. The taste did not disappoint either. Again, dark chocolate was very present. The coffee flavor was a little less prevalent than on the nose. The texture was very soft, but not overly creamy. I never felt like I was drinking a milk shake (a common criticism I have with many stouts). I was expecting to be overwhelmed by malt, but the malts were very under control. Very Well Balanced Drink! Perfect for a mid-winter New England evening.

DrinkingAaron, Feb 02, 2012

Goldfishman, Jan 30, 2012

Appearance: The dark, cocoa colored pour is accompanied by a thin layer of tan head. The initial head isn’t too strong, but that small head has strong staying power. The body of the beer is very dark, near black, and although clear, impossible to see though. 40+ SRM.

Scent: Chocolate hits your nose the minute you stick it into the glass. The creaminess that accompanies the lactose comes through on the aroma. Blindfolded I would have assumed this was chocolate milk. There is a hint of coffee on the back of the nose along with the rich, roasted malt of a stout. As it warms up a bit, the maltiness, and a slight touch of hops, starts to shine through the chocolate aromas.

Taste: The malt is front and center on the mouth. I once again get the chocolate flavors, but this time the coffee is a bit stronger. The coffee is right up front with the malt where as the chocolate takes a back seat to push these flavors forward. A slight hint of floral hoppiness on the finish with a bit of bitterness that comes mainly from the roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: The body is heavy. That’s where the lactose really comes out and shines. There is a perfectly smooth, rich, creaminess that comes through on the body that is only associated with a milk stout. Very easy to drink.

Overall: The bottle states that this is “the perfect cold weather beer.” I agree. The aroma brings back memories of the other perfect cold weather drink; hot chocolate. The rich chocolate smell is very close to the smell of hot chocolate and that immediately brought a sense of warmth. The strong, malty flavors also fill you with a sense of warmth that is ideal in winter. This may not be “the perfect cold weather beer,” but it is definitely something you will enjoy after coming in from a cold winter day.

JaredKent, Jan 19, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Jet black, with slightly off white head. Very little head, about a half finger or less, dissipates fairly quickly.

S- Very sweet smell, smells a little bit of dark fruits, espresso, chocolate.

T- Taste is very similar to smell- very sweet, slight taste of dark fruits, and chocolate.

M- Goes down easy, very little alcohol taste, not hard to drink.

O- Good offering from Wachusett. A little bit different then a lot of the milk stouts I've had (a tad bit more of a fruit taste). Probably not my go to Milk Stout, but would have again.

jaasen64, Jan 16, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

acurtis, Jan 15, 2012

mbs11, Jan 14, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Dark, almost black throughout, deep ruby red on the edges when held to a bright light.

S- Coffee, as if with a good deal of cream in it. Also a little bit spiced, can't place which one.

T- Sweet and maltly. Notes of chocolate and coffee. Decent for a stout, but not quite sweet enough for me. A slightly bitter aftertaste.

M- Not bad at all. Full bodied and fairly thick.

O- I like this as a stout. Far from the best I've had, but definately something I would buy again, especially in the Wachusett sampler it comes in.

pfrdaly, Jan 13, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Dark brown with translucent ruby highlights and a short cap of fine tan bubbles. Sticky with decent head retention. Mild aroma with roasty notes, chocolate and sweet malts. Moderate bitterness throughout - starting off with more of a hoppy character and finishing with more of a dark malt/burnt bitterness. Malty sweetness, brown sugar and toffee, semisweet chocolate and roast, nutty with light leafy hops. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, decent texture, faint alcohol lingered. Overall, I enjoyed it and would purchase again.

DrJay, Jan 07, 2012

Adamostella, Dec 26, 2011

BillDon, Dec 23, 2011

nate1357, Dec 13, 2011

Pamola, Dec 13, 2011

codon2004, Dec 13, 2011

j89de, Dec 11, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

dark, with a really nice three inches of head on the top of the glass, which all settled down very nicely with some of the best side glass lace I have seen in a very long time, very rich and full and just very nice looking.

The aroma was decent. Rich roasted malts, hints of sweetness rolled in throughout the profile here with a very nice overall presentation to it. Some notes of chocolate as it warms up as well. The flavor was more of the same. Rich roasted malts, hints of chocolate and a light bitter dryness to it, but it lacked the punch of a really good tout, not much complexity here at all. The feel was nice, full bodied with good carbonation

mikesgroove, Dec 10, 2011