Raptor Red Lager - Mendocino Brewing Company

Raptor Red LagerRaptor Red Lager

Mendocino Brewing Company visit their website
United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-01-2003)
Reviews by Mustard:
3.08/5  rDev -1%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; no "best before" or "bottled on" date; no ABV %; topmost label reads "Inspired by the legendary Spirit of the Hawk..." -- maybe it's me, but what again is the legend of the "Spirit of the Hawk"?; purchased as a "busted" single from TJ's for $1.00.

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden hue; obnoxiously large, snow-white head; a good b-cup's worth of lattice style lacing; head retention is quite good -- stupid head sat atop this puppy like a dollop of pancake batter for a good three or four minutes.

Aroma: Predominantly of grain and spicy, floral hops... and lightly so; hints of butter and lemon in there, too.

Taste: Much like its nose; front betrays a faint sweetness and a mild, biscuity malt presence; lightly fruity with strong notes of grain; a tad buttery; a mild, floral, spicy hop bitterness balances things out in the finish; light to medium bodied; carbonation style gives off a slightly prickly mouthfeel.

Notes: Can't say I find anything special here...

3.83/5  rDev +23.2%

Travelling out West I spotted this single at Trader Joe's and had never seen this " bird " from Mendocino. I have read where a TRUE red is a feat so I was a bit let down when the color was closer to amber. Nice malty nose and I was expecting a spicier hop taste but was pleased with the mildness. The lace was not too thick but lingered well arond the glass. definitely could drink several for a session. I like all of Mendocino's brews and this one is good addition to their flagship ales. Cheers,
Joe

2.7/5  rDev -13.2%

Okay I admit I read a few reviews, just to make sure I wasn't sitting on a factory mistake ( 5th of 6 beers in the six pack) or had developed color blindness.

Appearance & general comments: Poors golden to slight amber with white bubbly head that dissapated fast. I wouldn't penalize if hadn't billed itself as a red, this effort makes Killians look good in many respects.

Nose:Slight grassiness and wiffs of bread & alcohol

Taste:Bitterness and some slight maltiness are there, but mostly I think over-carbonated. Not that pleasant.

Mouthfeel is not a plus with the aforementioned over-carbination.

Drinkability: Goes down okay but not too interesting.

3.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle with a mug shot of a hawk on the label. No "best before" date or %ABV. Had a clear light amber color, a 1½" foamy (and durable) white head and modest carbonation. Minor spotty lace left behind.
Smell was sweet, of caramel and grainy malt with only a token nod toward some aromatic hops. The taste was rather earthy initially, with some malty sweetness and caramel. A light hops bite and lurking sourness finished things off. The feel was light- to medium-bodied, dry, and crisp.
Not a bad amber lager, but nothing all that great, either. Pretty middle of the pack, as far as ambers go.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

A: golden/bronze, not very "red", decent head and staying power
S: faint, nothing offensive, the expected scents were there for a beer of this type, but you had to search for them
T: again, faint, had a pleasant profile, but it was all weak, it didn't live up to expectations
M: watery, ok if it was a pale lager, but I expected more from something labeled "red" and called an amber
D: nothing offensive, but so dissappointing for type that I had to ding it in this category too
Comment: a real snooze, not worth the trouble, especially with SABL going for 12 bucks a twelve pack on sale

3.88/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours a cloudy red brew, you can see through it.

Smell is mostly complex malts and a woody hop scent.

Taste is sweetish with a tea hop flavor. Has a bright tartness and a bitter finish. Lots of malt and caramelized sugars come through in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is good and full.

Very drinkable brew, a very good ale.

4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

I have often been letdown by this breweries offerings. I have been, strangely enough, in the mood for a lager recently. When I saw this on sale at Trader Joe's I thought I'd give it a go. After reading some of the reviews I was ready to take it back on the spot. Glad I didn't. Nice light amber color was topped by a well formed chunky head. Lacing was thick and scattered. Nice malty, grainy aroma was actually quite nice. Sweet and toasty was the main taste of this beer, and it had a good hoppiness to it.
I found this beer quite drinkable and might be my lager of choice now. I don't know, we'll see. I do know it's the first time in quite a while that I didn't regret having this type of beer. Can't go too wrong here.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

Golden to w/ copper core, Slow rolling carbonation but plenty of it. Retention is decent, lacing is ringlike slowly rolling down the birthing ground.

Mashy smell, kinda raw. Comes across cloying and not much balance. Toast barely sneeks its way into the equation in the aftertaste if you dig hard enough. Carbonation helps in this case as its sharp and cleansing.

On the sweet side of things, and to be perfectly blunt it doesn't have much of anything to keep my interest. Generally speaking I've been an advocate for this brewery but this one comes up short.

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

Presentation: Well bless my little cotton socks. I thought I had tried most, if not all, of the Mendocino beers when I came across this single in my local beer store, so I decided to give it a whirl. The usual Mendocino tall thin brown glass bottle and whilst the label has no freshness or strength listed it has a familiar looking Mendocino label, but with a Raptors head this time.

Appearance: Not much of a head when poured was my first significant note here. In fact it soon settles with a scummy looking thin broken covering that has a small sad looking beige ring halo head around the edges. The body of the beer has a golden glow, with a few streamers. Looks flat, old, tired and lonely.

Nose: Raw harvested grain, cheap biscuit malt and skunky (yes I said skunky) hops. Has a feint whiff of Farley’s Rusk’s baby sick. Best get a Clothes Peg for this one.

Taste: Looks bad, smells bad – and Tastes, well erm…bad. Sadly, it doesn’t get any better I’m sorry to say. Grainy malts with a small biscuit-like hop bite in the middle. Finish is, thankfully, very short and quick. Forgetful.

Mouthfeel: Slight stickiness and way too grainy in the mouth for a comfortable drinking beer. It looks flat yet had a very fizzy feel in the mouth and swallow, it has a large burp factor – which means you get to remember how bad it tasted for a second time just in case you forgot first time round – Gee, Thanks Raptor!

Drinkability: Tough one to finish but I battled through it. This could easily be mistaken, and Forgotten! for a low quality, mass produced generic “red” lager beer. Not exactly user friendly.

Overall: Glad I just got one of these!! Student Raptor “Must do Better”.

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

I’m seeing red, but alas, not in my glass…

Raptor Red Lager has more of a golden amber hue than red. Aroma is flat, smacks of malt, but nothing distinctive. Tastes malty sweet – a nice characteristic for an ice cream confection, but not what I look for in a beer.

The mouthfeel was full and bubbly, but the overall composition just never delivered.

Better than the run of the mill gold lagers, but with that Raptor on the label, I somehow expected more.

Silly me.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

Orange gold color. Small quickly disappointing head. Aroma is malty and fruity. Medium bodied amber. The malts are mild, nutty and sweet. Hops are slightly bitter. Has a definite lager like quality to it, with small bubbly champagne like carbonation. Mild flavors. Fruity and dry. This would make a nice summer session beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a bright golden amber with a medium sized creamy white head. Not something I would market as "red"
Grainy malt smell. A little caramel and mild hops.
Really grainy malt flavor. Lightly sweet and earthy. Hints of caramel and fruit and a mellow hop bitterness.
Light bodied with a crisp smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation.
Decent drinkability but a little weak flavorwise.

3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle with no freshness or ABV info.

Appearance: Poured a very cloudy yellow/orange color with a thin white head. Faded quickly, but left a small amount of lacing. I wouldn't call this a red, but it is a decent looking beer.

Smell: Aroma is malty with grassy notes. A bit sweeter than I would have expected.

Taste: Slightly sweet start with a bitter finish. Malty flavors - light to medium bodied. Very highly carbonated.

Overall impression: Not bad - its a very drinkable beer, but nothing too exciting.

2.83/5  rDev -9%

Pours a copper, not amber btw. Whitish head retains decently and leaves some thick lacing actually.

Awful sulfur smell mixes with grassy hops. Whew.

Light malt light hops, slight caramel presence and some fruit. Not impressive but not bad either. Balanced but bland. aftertaste of apples?

Overcarbonated and thin bodied.

I wouldnt buy this one again, seems pretty bleh overall.

Raptor Red Lager from Mendocino Brewing Company