2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Eye Ale - Mendocino Brewing Company

Black Eye AleBlack Eye Ale

good

Mendocino Brewing Company visit their website
United States

Black & Tan |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-29-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 186 | Reviews: 153 | Show All Ratings:
Gusler

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a deep brown to black pertinent head with adequate lace to coat the glass. Nose is toasted gains, caramel and a slight hint of coffee and chocolate. Sweet at the onset, the top is middling in mouth feel, the finish is pleasantly hopped, palateablely carbonated, dry as a bone aftertaste. It is the best of the “Blended” beers I’ve tried, but I think they should just let well enough alone, because nothing can replace a “Black and Tan (Bass under Guinness) or a Half and Half (Harp under Guinness)”.

11-27-2002 17:31:35 | More by Gusler
TheLongBeachBum

2.95/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It may well be my first US Blended Beer, but this is not a practise I am unfamiliar with, for I came across it often in the UK, even in Cask Form. But if Mendocino brew two decent beers, then why mix them !!???? Hmm… Answers on a Postcard Please.
Offered in a huge 1 Pt 9 fl.oz. green glass receptacle, akin to a stumpy Champagne bottle. It is a dark black muddy looking offering that lets little light through its body. Nice big carbondioxidious head (yes - I made that word up), that has a light pale cream color and reminded me of the liquid “expanding foam” that I used to insulate pipes with in England. Malty introduction that offered more characteristics from the Black Hawk Stout than the Eye of the Hawk, which is a real shame for me as I prefer the latter as a "stand-alone" beer. Starts like a Stout – finishes with a hoppy bitterness but sadly a very short finish. It just doesn’t quite feel right somehow. It has everything - yet seems as though it is missing something. A confused beer for me.
As my Science Teacher would say - Interesting experiment, 9/10 for sheer effort – but 2/10 overall, because you reached the wrong conclusion.
“The Ultimate Blend” – I think not. I like Scotch Whisky, and the best stuff is Single Malt, that is to say, it is “Unblended”. I will continue to stick with this principle when I drink beer.
Mendocino should do the same, when making it, I think.

10-18-2002 19:57:59 | More by TheLongBeachBum
mattmaples

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

This is a blend of Eye of the Hawk and Black Hawk. Now I really like both of those beers (especially the EOTH) but I really don't think this is a good blend. It's not bad but I don't think they complement each other well. The Eye of the hawk tends to make the stout to hoppy and the stout drops the intensity of the Eye of the Hawk. Nice concpet but in this case I don't think it worked all that well.

12-29-2001 19:35:09 | More by mattmaples