Black Eye Ale - Mendocino Brewing Company

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
3.21/5  rDev -11.8%

22oz bottle.

Not bad. Not great.

A good effort at bottling a black and tan.

It pours a dark burnt brown. Good head that disappears quickly. Little to no lacing. Scent is mostly stout. Coffee, burnt toast and strong malts as well. There is also alcohol on the nose.

Flavors are also mostly stout. The ale gets lost from this ale. Again some burnt toast, creamy espresso and a small amount of chocolate. There is a slight ale finish and after taste. I really am losing the ale. The balance is a little bit off.

Good mouth feel. Chewy and rich. A very smooth drinking black and tan.
A thought. Maybe black and tans should not be bottled? Poured from the tap to order seem better to me than this one. Anyway this is a good effort at bottling one.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%

I admit I want to like Mendocino Brewing Co's beers more than I actually do. This 22oz. bomber was supplied most kindly by a friend. Color was stoutlike but no head or lacing was a downer. Aroma was actually quite good with some roasted maltiness. Pretty smooth roasted taste with a smidge of hops, not bad, just kind of mainstream. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, might be a better winter brew but I doubt I will have it again.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a deep brown to black pertinent head with adequate lace to coat the glass. Nose is toasted gains, caramel and a slight hint of coffee and chocolate. Sweet at the onset, the top is middling in mouth feel, the finish is pleasantly hopped, palateablely carbonated, dry as a bone aftertaste. It is the best of the “Blended” beers I’ve tried, but I think they should just let well enough alone, because nothing can replace a “Black and Tan (Bass under Guinness) or a Half and Half (Harp under Guinness)”.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It may well be my first US Blended Beer, but this is not a practise I am unfamiliar with, for I came across it often in the UK, even in Cask Form. But if Mendocino brew two decent beers, then why mix them !!???? Hmm… Answers on a Postcard Please.
Offered in a huge 1 Pt 9 fl.oz. green glass receptacle, akin to a stumpy Champagne bottle. It is a dark black muddy looking offering that lets little light through its body. Nice big carbondioxidious head (yes - I made that word up), that has a light pale cream color and reminded me of the liquid “expanding foam” that I used to insulate pipes with in England. Malty introduction that offered more characteristics from the Black Hawk Stout than the Eye of the Hawk, which is a real shame for me as I prefer the latter as a "stand-alone" beer. Starts like a Stout – finishes with a hoppy bitterness but sadly a very short finish. It just doesn’t quite feel right somehow. It has everything - yet seems as though it is missing something. A confused beer for me.
As my Science Teacher would say - Interesting experiment, 9/10 for sheer effort – but 2/10 overall, because you reached the wrong conclusion.
“The Ultimate Blend” – I think not. I like Scotch Whisky, and the best stuff is Single Malt, that is to say, it is “Unblended”. I will continue to stick with this principle when I drink beer.
Mendocino should do the same, when making it, I think.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

This is a blend of Eye of the Hawk and Black Hawk. Now I really like both of those beers (especially the EOTH) but I really don't think this is a good blend. It's not bad but I don't think they complement each other well. The Eye of the hawk tends to make the stout to hoppy and the stout drops the intensity of the Eye of the Hawk. Nice concpet but in this case I don't think it worked all that well.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last