White Hawk Original IPA - Mendocino Brewing Company

White Hawk Original IPAWhite Hawk Original IPA

Mendocino Brewing Company visit their website
United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of White Hawk Original IPA Alström Bros
JohnBeerRun

Georgia

02-03-2012 14:46:20 | More by JohnBeerRun
t420o

1.25/5  rDev -62.7%

A- This is a carbonation bomb. Loud pop when opened. Poured very gently produced a massive head that took up half of the pint glass. Beer is gold in color.

S- Alcohol, euro metallic twang, cheap adjunct filled lager-type scent, a slight bitter hop scent

T- Alcohol, some floral hops, metallic taste, adjunct taste. Poor effort

M- Way over carbonated and light. About the worst mouthfeel I've ever had in a beer.

O- Not 1 redeeming quality about this beer. I've had better offering from Mendocino brewing and enjoyed several of them. I would never bash a brewery or beer for no reason, but this was a piss poor representation of an IPA or even a beer in general. I sincerely hope that this 6 pack was an off batch or something, but I will never try another in my life to find out. If their were negative points I would give them for this overall effort and drinkability. I deserve my $$ back

06-27-2011 18:07:04 | More by t420o
jamex

1.4/5  rDev -58.2%

Poured from a bottle. Purchased a single 12oz bottle from Trader Joe's.

S - This had a mild IPA smell and immediately I thought it might make a good (and cheap) session beer. Had some WC IPA smells but they were pretty faint (some citrus, a little pine, etc.)

T - Brought me back to my cheap beer phase in college. Didn't really resemble an IPA at all in the typical sense. There were some hints of citrus and barely some pine dust, but a lot of malt that was unpleasantly bitter. Heinous.

Needless to say, I couldn't even finish the bottle and poured it. Save your money and go somewhere else when looking for an IPA (if at Trader Joe's, get the Anderson Valley instead).

08-28-2010 20:56:05 | More by jamex
mwar

Kentucky

1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

11-27-2012 00:11:03 | More by mwar
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.58/5  rDev -52.8%

Bottle. Quite thin and short. Green hops, some grapefruit, tinny, bitter, rough and ugly. Re rate, still shit, but even worse this time. nasty metallic crap. I really thought Mendocino would be a lot better, given the high scores, i remain still quite dissapointed with the brewery.

02-21-2005 22:04:25 | More by rastaman
skybluewater

1.7/5  rDev -49.3%

Pours a fairly standard gold color. Not much smell here, maybe a bit of grapefruit. The taste is truly dreadful, more like turpentine than beer (I poured this one down the drain-probably won't need to buy Drano for a while!).

Overall, pretty bad beer here. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but there's no date that I can see on it, so there's no way to tell how old it is. I'm avoiding this one forever.

11-30-2004 03:56:50 | More by skybluewater
Schwab

1.73/5  rDev -48.4%

A: Orange-ish color, seemed slightly unfiltered (def not 100% clear), absolutely NO head when pouring from the bottle into the glass.

S: Smell was ok, nothing outstanding. IPA

T: Not so sure about it. I think the hop flavor was very unbalanced. I did not enjoy the flavor at all. Just because it has 7% ABV doesn't mean it has to turn out like this.

M: Beer was more or less uncarbonated. You could see the bubbles coming up, but there was absolutely no mouth feel in regards to carbonation. It was somewhat taken over (assuming there was some) by the unbalanced hop aroma.

D: Not sure how to describe it. I think it was not very good by any means it is not going down too easy since it has an add taste to it

07-28-2009 00:22:17 | More by Schwab

02-06-2014 15:38:27 | More by PopnLoads
HardTarget

1.88/5  rDev -43.9%

Mendocino White Hawk IPA
Bottle Inspection: Mostly marketing blurb about the history of IPA. Does list 7% abv., but no date

Aroma: Wet grainy base sticks through the floral and earthy hops more than it should, meaning the hops just aren't coming to play.

Appearance: Painfully clear yellow gold glass holds a short lived thin collar that doesn't lace.

Flavor: Soapy. A bit of harsh chemical for flavor. All the hop bitterness is in the early boil and has a tea quality, but no pleasant hop flavors to comment on. There's a citric candy sweetness that flashes at the end, but nothing really malty. I guess the alcohol is washing out any positive qualities for me.

Mouthfeel: Acidic burning feel with a medium thin body and prickly carbonation.

Overall Impression: Wow I hate this! I was in the mood for a hop-tastic beer, and this phailed. I can't recommend this at all, I think this is the worst commercial IPA I've ever tasted. It's like a malt liquor version of an IPA. I keep taking sips hoping to find some redeeming quality, but I think this is sink bound.

04-28-2008 05:33:19 | More by HardTarget
Nage37

02-21-2012 03:36:25 | More by Nage37
thereal_adam

01-13-2014 03:32:41 | More by thereal_adam
RedwoodGeorge

2.05/5  rDev -38.8%

You know it's not going to be a good beer when "I've had worse" is the nicest thing you can say about it...

The pour should have been a dead giveaway - it's a thin straw yellow with a similarly thin white head. The soapy foam disappears before you can put the glass down on the table leaving a glass that's indistinguishable from many macro lagers. No, scratch that, macro lagers have better head retention.

The smell is weak, stale and lifeless with notes of corn and raw grain covering up a musty hop note. If it weren't for the fact that I just bought this from a store less than twenty miles from the brewery I'd have thought this beer just spent the last six months in a hot boxcar traveling the desert Southwest.

If brewers were issued licenses I'd argue for having Mendocino's papers revoked. The flavor is of stale corn pops, old white toast and some kind of funky bitter flavoring that must be a variety of hops. There's even a hint of diacetyl just in case the beer isn't funky enough. For an IPA to have nothing resembling an herbivorous flavor is a pity. For an IPA from Northern California to lack any hint of PNW hopping is unthinkable.

At least the mouthfeel is somewhat acceptable... The drink is medium bodied with a bit of an oily coating on the palate. There's a bitter finish to end each sip so even if they didn't get any flavor at least they got something out of the hops.

Would I ever drink this again? No f***ing way. Is it the worst beer I've ever had? No, not really - though it does rate not much higher than a drain pour. What's most disappointing is that this comes out of Northern California, home of the "West Coast" IPAs. It's sad that Mendocino Brewing is only 15 miles away from Anderson Valley, 30 from North Coast and under an hour from Bear Republic, Russian River and Lagunitas - all of whom make world-class IPAs. To find a brewer from this region that makes a nearly undrinkable IPA is unthinkable (and unforgivable)

04-21-2006 04:08:13 | More by RedwoodGeorge
KarlHungus

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

This beer pours a clear bronze-amber color. The head is a half inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is rotten grapefruit, and caramel malt. The taste is of more rotten grapefruit, and stale caramel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low carbonation. Overall, I'm not sure if this beer is old or just bad. The store I bought it from is very good at discounting beer before it gets old to keep everything fresh. So my guess it that it is just bad. I will not be drinking this again.

06-08-2009 20:50:34 | More by KarlHungus
NJpadreFan

2.17/5  rDev -35.2%

Mendocino- White Hawk Original IPA

6pack purchased at Circle Liquors- Pennington, N.J

Appearance- light golden orange with heavy carbonation. Thick head.
Smell- Sweet. Vinager and malt.
Taste- metallic! Sweet with a flat bitter hops flavor. Aftertaste is like a oxidized battery in the mouth.
Mouthfeel- flat and no life at first, followed by a dull bitterness, and finally a metal aftertaste.

Overall- I was excited about purchasing the White Hawk but it is BAD! I'll be able to finish the 6er but I'm not happy. I'll give their other offerings a try though.
Avoid this IPA its a DUD!

12-24-2005 18:15:21 | More by NJpadreFan
DoubleJ

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%

Gotta love pre-set variety packs which get you uncommon beers, so on to it:

A trace of cloudiness can be seen in this light orange-brown beer. Low dense head on top that fizzes away to a thin layer on top. There isn't much of an aroma in this, faint grassy and biscuit notes. To the taste: hot alcohol and flavorless bitterness is very dominant here. Touch-ups of aspirin on the tongue, but still gives way to the dominant alcohol; it's so hot you have to sip on it.

This is what happens when IPA's go wrong. Too much alcohol felt, no balance, and little to taste. More than half of it will be used to feed my sink.

06-16-2008 04:40:16 | More by DoubleJ
jpkoch1962

Indiana

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Not a very good brew. The appearance was very nice - a bright copper with a tight head and lace. Was surprised at the subdued hop aroma. The malt body was also lacking (perhaps the bright clean copper appearance and the lack of any aroma are due to strong filtering?). The malt presence, which can be discerned in the front end is taken over by a strong, oily bitterness by the middle. I waited for hop flavor to arrive by the finish, but only an agressively strong, acidic bitterness remained. The bitterness could have been pleasing if it was accompanied by more malt body and mouthfeel, not to mention hop flavor and aroma. In short, this ale is way out of balance.

I'm not totally sure what Americans demand out of American IPAs, but this is the second one I've had this year, and they both weren't worth the 8 bucks/6pk asking price. I wish more micros would adrere to the classic IPA category -Mendocina inclusive. There is more to a Pale Ale than 300 IBU bitterness. Hell, if I wanted to drink a hop bomb, I could do it much cheaper by brewing it myself. Whitehawk was very disappointing.

12-31-2006 02:20:43 | More by jpkoch1962
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours out a slightly hazy glowing apricot/gold with 1 finger of off-white head. This reduces to a skip pretty quickly but sticks around with periodic swirls and leaves a bit of lacing.

The label says this is an IPA, but it certainly doesn't smell like one. There's some orange and pineapple in there, but the primary aroma is plentiful sweet caramel malt. The flavors are equally frustrating, with a heavy dose of caramel and a modest hop presence- juicy sour orange and pineapple again, maybe touch of pine. Overall very sweet, though, and severely lacking in the bitterness department. The sweetness lingers along with some booziness, which seems a bit odd at this ABV.

Overall impression: This is the farthest thing from a "West Coast IPA", and I didn't enjoy it much. Old bottle, maybe?

03-09-2010 16:32:03 | More by PDXHops
jaidenjb

06-18-2012 22:50:34 | More by jaidenjb
ShakaShakaShaka

10-18-2012 21:02:34 | More by ShakaShakaShaka
Pittsburgh

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

I don't know if I got a bad/old beer here, but upon opening it exploded everywhere, Almost 2/3 of the beer came shooting out, like someone shook up a soda. So that sucked. I was so shocked I couldn't react fast enough.

Once the immense amount of foam subsided, the taste was not good, tasted more like carbonated apple juice than anything, bitter, nasty apple juice though. Barely tastes like an IPA and barely drinkable in my opinion. Very strong, overwhelmingly bitter and sour, but not in a good way. Virtually nothing else going on with the beer other than that, I am sorry, I am not feeling it.

I sort of think something was wrong with it based on the other reviews....but I can't prove that, so this is what I have to go on.

07-06-2010 23:45:16 | More by Pittsburgh
Moheban

12-20-2013 04:50:33 | More by Moheban
Rekrule

10-07-2012 21:06:27 | More by Rekrule
TheHoppiest

2.3/5  rDev -31.3%

While I've been skeptical that any brewery named after wine country could produce a decent brew, I thought it better to try and judge, than pre-judge, so here it goes:

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a two finger creme colored head that slowly pillows down to a 1/8" foam head.

Has a malty, almost yeasty aroma, with notes of mild grapes, figs, and citrus. The varied fruit smells clash with the malty backbone.

Has a soapy feel that washes out the taste. Starts bitter, almost astringent, but with very little hop flavor. The bitterness is more reminiscent of ethanol alcohol than hops. Buttery malt hits mid-tongue, before finishing with a mild smokey, bitter finish. The tastes, frankly, are not melding well with each other.

As mentioned above, this has the feel of soapy dishwater, with an odd, biting bitter feel that is utterly without taste.

Ugh. My pre-judged opinion of this was spot on. Glad this was a singleton, and that I won't have to find uses for five other of these.

09-02-2011 00:31:50 | More by TheHoppiest