Eye of the Hawk - Mendocino Brewing Company

good

Mendocino Brewing Company visit their website
United States

American Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Eye of the Hawk Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

leftoverburrito, May 08, 2013
1.6/5  rDev -56.2%

This beer really set me up for disappointment. It had a very nice appearance and pleasant smell, but the flavor just didn't live up to the expectations set by these other elements. Flavor was an unpleasant melange of weird flavor notes that I just couldn't stomach. Most of this went down the drain.

Appearance was a copper color with a great mishmash of sturdy foam across the top. Aroma was pleasantly hoppy yet balanced...or so I thought.

Flavor was anything but balanced. This beer was far more malty than hoppy and had an unbalanced maltiness that I could characterize with flavor descriptions such as old coffee, pennies that you've sucked on for five to ten minutes, and some toffee. Eye of the Hawk had a very limited amount of hoppiness in its aftertaste. Mouthfeel was unremarkable, but due to its taste I would call this beer undrinkable. Most of mine went down the drain.

BeerBelcher, Aug 08, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -54%

Quite the let down. Threw a few Eye of the Hawks into a make your own 6 pack from my local, and I could not finish the first one and poured out the remaining two. Tasted like soap at times and even my wife agreed it was not worth drinking. I love almost any craft beer, and am enjoying a Mt. Saint Helena Palisades Pale Ale right now, so I am not sure what went wrong with the Eye of the Hawk, it seemed to have a bland taste with no distinctive aroma whatsoever, and the occasional aforementioned soap taste.

OnTheWater, Jan 05, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours very fizzy with a light orange hue... goodbye head! Smell is syrupy, and something I usually only experience with Sam Adams beers. I get a little alcohol in the whiff but mostly grain. Smells almost malt liquory.

Taste is something akin to club soda with mild fruit flavorings. Very very syrupy. Very carbonated and tasteless with hints of fruit. I've had a lot of beer and this is probably the least "beer" tasting brew I've had. Tastes like a very poorly made mix drink.

I'd only call this drinkable if you have an attachment to the high abv. Alcohol isn't TOO apparant, but that doesn't make up for blandness. Seriously tastes like an under-syruped coke from Burger King, while being too syrupy at the same time (I know, it confuses me too). Avoid this one.

jwff, Mar 21, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -49.3%

I sadly didn't like this beer for some reason. The appearance was alright, your average amber in color. The aroma didn't impress me either and wasn't very appealing. The mouthfeel didn't do much for me, and I found the taste to be lacking in character. There was a strong finish to it, but I thought it overpowered any flavors lingering from the initial taste and there was too much carbonation. Definitely not my favorite choice for a Strong Ale, but others seem to like it.

bigremy, Jan 03, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -46.6%

Gosh, I don't remember the last time I had a Mendocino BC beer. I remember that I didn't like it, so let's hope Eye of the Hawk is at least better. On to the beer:

Dark orange peel color with a big, frothy head that leaves a lot of webbed lacing around the glass. Does anyone have secented candles nearby, because I don't know what I'm smelling. It's a little stinky at first, then spicy alcohol that's enough to decongest your nose, and something that's most resemblant to sour apple. Oh no, not again....

It happened again. There's some sweetness, like a cough syrup sweetness, that hits first. Yep, a little sweet, then it's all downhill. Spicy, alcoholic, over carbonated, and plain bitter are among the themes to this underwhelming brew. As times goes on, the beer's sweetness has an extended life and the carbonation tails off a little. At times, I can taste sour melon. Still, that won't make the beer good, it will only make the beer less bad.

Let me be honest, I wanted to poke the eye out of the hawk as I was drinking it. There's no way that I would recommend this as a beer.

DoubleJ, May 17, 2011

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013

jrempel, May 28, 2013
2.17/5  rDev -40.5%

I am somewhat shocked by the high reviews.

Pours a golden orange. Small white foam head. Smells weird. Sweetened grass? This is a strong ale?

Taste is bad. Almost like a chemical sweetness. Obliterates any malt or hops there might be. Rancid aftertaste. Somewhat watery.

Avoid.

Overlord, Sep 15, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -38.9%

Bottle. Poors a bit ugly, massive blotchy head. Dissaponting, not much going on, tinny, hoppy and short, not what i’d consider and American Strong Ale. Man these Mendocino beers are all driving me insane, i was dissapointed every time, this was dull, especially for the style.

rastaman, Feb 21, 2005

cheribom, Jan 10, 2013

KevMo84, Jun 06, 2014

ToddThompson, Oct 04, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -37.5%

A-pours very similar to an unfiltered belgian wit, and has a frothy head which shrinks away quickly

S-very sweet nose with a slight hoppy bitterness to go with it. also has a slightly roasted character

T- a bit overwhelmingly dry with a too bitter hop middle. the finish tastes like you bit your lip and got some blood mixed in.

M-dry and bitter, not much appealing here

D-will never drink again

TheLVBeerGuy, Dec 06, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -37%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pint Glas

2 inch off white head on top of a deep coppery garnet, modestly carbonated.

Aroma: Caramel malt, fruitiness like apples and a slight floral hoppiness.

Taste: Powerful sweet maltiness comes on in on a woosh. Back taste has a medicinal alcoholic ester with a buttery diacetyl aftertaste.

Notes: Too strong, too sweet. Too Alcoholic. Combination of esthers & diacetyls remind me of vanilla extract and caramel apples. I would classify this as an Imperial English Pale Ale.

fx20736, Aug 12, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -37%

When pouring this beer, I noticed that the wheat colored foam dissapated quickly.

The color a golden amber. In my opinion, the taste wasn't all that exciting with a medium hops taste with a light mouthfeel. In my book, it would be

a 4 or 5 out of 10.

Monsteruss, Apr 06, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Poured a coppery golden brown with a 1 inch head that disappeared to thin lace within a minute.

S - Malty with a whiff of fruity overtone. I can't call it skunky, but there was definitely something of that sort in the nose.

T - Currants, malts, plums, and a hoppy aftertaste. The combination is normally good but it just didn't taste right with this beer. Bittersweet aftertaste that lingered incessantly.

M - This feels a little thicker than the average macrobrew, a little less crisp and a little more "sit back an relax". Decent carbonation.

D - The smell and taste ruined this for me. I had to force myself to drink the entire glass. The alcohol is well hidden though.

Overall - I've had little success with Mendocino products. Maybe it's one of those "love it or hate it" beers, but I'm really not a fan. The Red Tail Ale is better than this one.

DmanGTR, Mar 02, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz. brown bottle, chilled, served in a pint glass. No freshness date.

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a 1/4" of white head that settles quickly. No sign of lacing.

Aroma smells of amped up cereal malts and caramel. Possibly a twinge of wet cardboard.

Flavor is bitter and hot. Pale malt base is overwhelmed with old earthy hops. There is a white bread and yeast taste on the finish. This tastes like some of the strong euro lagers I reviewed a while back just to try things from other countries. It tastes pretty aweful.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus in body, low in carbonation. Drinkability is poor. I really wish I hadn't been tempted by the 12 pack on sale. Not worth the $12.99 I paid. Hopefully it's just a freshness issue and this might taste better from the brewery.

GilGarp, Oct 13, 2009