De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch)De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch)

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 09-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) Alström Bros
3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

A sweet, tasty ale that truly that is great after a meal. Pours with a very thick head and a cloudy, amber color. The taste is a mix of sweetness with subtle overtones of fruit hidden in there somewhere, along with a dash of hops. It is quite effervescent which is typical of the belgian style. Very satisfying. (311 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This beer poured a murky mustard yellow and had a frothy two finger head. It had an awesome aroma of oranges, lemons, honey, and sugars. The taste was great. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, bitters, honey, and sugars were all in the mix.
The feel was crisp and refreshing. It is a great triple. Definitely a great beer to enjoy. I could definitely enjoy a few of these after a long week! (385 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours from the 750ml corked and capped bottle a light gold with a vigorous head and lots of carbonation. The bottle foamed over on me as I shook it a bit trying to get the cork out. I had no trouble putting my mouth over the top of the bottle to keep from losing any...I never let good beer go to waste!!

Smell is fruity and estery with subdued citrus hop notes. Taste and mouthfeel is full of fruity esters, spicy alcohol, and very light hops. Sweet malt kicks in next with a very sweet finish. Lots of risidual sugar is present as far as a tripel goes, but the hops balance it out.

This was very drinkable, which is dangerous given the amount of alcohol. I really enjoyed this brew, one of the tastiest Tripels I have had. (730 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- poured golden in color, turbid with yeast and carbonation. Incredibly heady, but it dispatched leaving no veil.

S- Spicy and malty with a trace of green apple. Just by the smell I could tell it would be a taste dominated by alcohol.

T- Spicy and boozy... little bit of malt up front, alcohol just cuts through everything. Once warm some of the green apple comes through. After taste is dominated by alcohol and a little bitterness.

M- Carbonation, quite hot in the mouth, but rather thin.

D- It was decent. It's Belgian, so I had my bar set high. There was nothing wrong with it, but being a tripel, I just do not think it's remarkable for that style. It is a good beer, and was a fine drink; however, I do not ever seeing myself seeking one of these out, especially if there are other tripels around. I would order it if there weren't much else, but if an establishment has this, then they'll at least have Chimay and their tripel is superior. (951 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

bottle, served in chalice, bottled May 2011

A - Beautiful dark straw body, with billowing soft big head, that lasts forever. Never seen better.

S - Boozy with a sharper wheat tone, mixed with some bittering hops. Was expecting something a little smoother, but not displeasing at all.

T - Medium-high carbonation that's kind of effervescent, similar to the Unibroue style. Feels like it spreads on the palate. That sharper wheat comes in after with an all booze/hop after taste going from sweeter to more dry, similar to a lighter weizenbock. Really interested to see the IBU on this.

M - Great. Got some real meat to it, but not too much. The impressive head retention really makes it work too.

O - Very nice. Maybe a little too boozy for the style, but I wouldn't turn it down. (786 characters)

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Mad Bitch, huh? Sounds good to me. 'Triple your bitchiness with *glug glug* De Dolle Dulle Teve!'

Hit up Julio's Liquors and came away with this bitch.

Bitch.

Slightly foggy honey/caramel/gold color sporting a thick white head that keeps great retention and a sticky lacing. Just don't pour it the same way you pour La Fin Du Monde....trust me on that one.

Smell is sweet, citrusy, floral and vibrant as a bitch in heat.

Taste is sweet as well. With notes of citrus and some hops. Medium bodied, creamy then crisp, and it's not doing a very good job at hiding it's booze.

This bitch isn't that mad actually. It's quite warming, tasty and a damn fine bitch of a beer. The Slutty Bitch is much more fitting as you'll be wanting to give this bitch another whirl. Fo' sho. (776 characters)

A - gold. rocky fluffy ivory foam.

S - slightly tart. cidery. smells slightly old. some malt aroma. maybe a little nutty.

T - big belgian phenolics. a bit cidery. Not too bitter from hops, but some big carbonation. zesty. A little lemony. Alcohol is pretty much out there. Tastes a lot like a trappist example.

M - high carbonation. Easy to drink

D - classic easy to drink strong belgian beer. (397 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Drank from a 11.2oz bottle. Age was unknown but I dont think it was fresh.
A: A dark orange beer poured with a thick foamy head, that was easily 2-3" thick. Heavy carbonation with lots of yeast floaties around.
S: the smell of alcohol and yeast mostly caught my attention.
T: Was sweet at first followed by yeast with a very faint alcohol burn. Hints of sugar and dried fruits.
M: The mouthfeel was very bubbly due to the heavy carbonation. Overall I woul;d say this was a lighter body beer.
D: Very easy for a 10% beer. This beer went down very smooth (552 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

33 cl bottle, served in Chimay goblet.
Pours w/ the typical Dolle Brouwers head, that is: massive, rocky and long-lived, much of the sediment not sinking through the head.
Cloudy dark gold w/ lots of sediment floating about. Highly aggressive, in-your-face taste dominated by hops and a good dose of yeast. Bitter and not for the faint of palate. A beer w/ tons of character. (377 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

I have to admit that the only reason I tried this beer was because I was sitting next to my lovely wife in a beer pub. So what do they share in common, apart from the description?

They both have blonde heads, they're both spicey and neither is what you might expect in the style.

Beautiful golden color, poured from a 330 ml bottle. Not much head (no more wife analogies, OK?) Not the sort of Tripel you might expect either. Pretty well carbonated, but certainly not unpleasant.

Pepper and spice, but not the citrus one might expect, Actually some banana. Sweetness on the middle palate. Well balanced.

Lovely (613 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light to dark golden color that is cloudy from yeast that helped re-ferment this beer. A large fluffy dense white head. Nice looking pillow of foam. If I could I would lay my head on it. Very fruity reminisant of lemon merangue pie with a cookie crumb crust. Also a light yeast or alcohol spiciness is present. Has a slight sweet but light malt flavor of light fruits and a little toast. Alcohol is there and so is the spice. Light-medium body with a dry finish. Alcohol is smooth but warming.
Great beer in the tripel style. (533 characters)

This is a good beer. I just gave it all fours, because I didn't want to skwabble over whether it was a 4.5 or a 3.5 or whatever. This is a totally solid, if not terrific example of the style.

A- Golden straw with a foamy white head

S- smells like sparkling apple cider, maybe with some spice.

T- heat from the alcohol, pear, plum, green apple, cloves, bready, some funk, maybe even a hint of wood in there. As good a Tripel as I've ever had.

M- Light and fizzy, with a taste that lingers

D- Goes down too easy. If I had the money, I could drink several of these in a session with no regrets... until the next day. (618 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8%

A - Poured a golden color, darker than most other tripels that I had. Lacked the usual "unfiltered" look of some other tripels as well, but the pillowy white head contrasted nicely, and made nice rings on my glass.

S- Typical belgian yeast coriander smell, but with lots of apples pears and peaches lingering.

T - Lots of fruits and sugars, but balanced out well with a slight hoppy finish. Alcohol taste was quite apparent.

M - I thought that it was overly carbonated. Maybe I got a bad batch but the feel on this wasn't what I was expecting.

D - About par for a high alcohol content tripel. Definetely sweet and boozy tasting, which makes me think that one would be enough.

Had high expectations for this beer, but felt that it left me wanting more from it. (764 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Received this beer in trade for some development work for a beer store in Belgium.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams standard USA beer glass.

Nice white head on top. There is a deceptive color to this beer as it pours darker than it seemed in the bottle which is a pleasant surprise. Its a few degrees darker than a straw color.

Nose is classic Belgian. It reminds me of the nose of a St Bernardus Abt 12. In fact, its so close I would even say its the same yeast. I am loving it before I even take a sip.

Taste is also close to the St Bernardus. Its definitely the same yeast strain. Its a little sweet but it has so many ripe pale fruit esthers. I get pear, golden apple with a bit of vanilla. Its a great mix but just a bit sweet. It is still very smooth with a semi dry finish. It is almost an ABT 12 light if you can imagine that. Almost no alcohol kick even with its lightness and 10% ABV.

Definitely a winner. I will quote Jason Alstrom, who says about this beer, "Slap!", yes ma'am may I have another" (1,018 characters)

Resembles a volcano with its pendulous white peak, shallow caldera, and substantial seismic activity in an underlying honey-colored core. Has fine suspended particles and cottony lacing. Nose is of wheat bread, lightly sweet malt, yeast, and only faint citrus and esters. Flavor is less citrusy than other tripels but quite tasty. Grainy malts lead here followed by some medium acidity in the finish and very late bitterness. Some orange flavor does come through after a few ounces. Nice stuff. (494 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Beer guy at Bauer pulled this out the back for me because he remembered my saying that I love tripels. Man do I love tripels...

Not one to spend so much on such a small quantity of beer - especially after being burned twice by the two overpriced, underperforming Founder's breakfast stouts - I decided to splurge and pony up 6 bucks for this slender, brown, 330ml bottle from Belgium. Josh was drooling a bit while he was recommending it, so I figured it might be worth a try.

I catch a whiff before I even get a chance to pour it into my snifter - whooo. The pour is a deep honey color with medium head that quickly resides. Some big bubble stick around after the fact, but no lacing to speak of.

Sweet, sugary smell. Some sour apple and a strong back-nose of honey. There's some other stuff going on in here, but I can't put my finger (nose?) on it.

Taste is big and fills the entire mouth. Perhaps slightly more carbonated that I was expecting, this one is crispy. Big on sweetness as the smell suggests, there's a strong malt backbone that comes around after you finish your sip. The leftover sweetness around the back/sides of the tongue is leaving my mouth watering for more. The alcohol warmth after a bigger than average sip reminds you this isn't one to go overboard with. Apple-ish flavored burps. mmm

On the whole, a delicious brew. Still, I don't see myself spending the money to pick up another bottle. I can't imagine aging this beer would do anything except make it syrupy and even sweeter, which in my eyes wouldn't be a desirable thing. A solid offering, though I'll still take Westmalle's tripel above all else if given the option. (1,654 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into New Belgium goblet. I poured slowly into the side but got a rush of head bubbly head. Hazy rich golden color. Highly carbonated. Almost 3" of off white head, torrents of bubbles and yeast sediment. Rocky head settles to thin film after drinking leaving no lacing to speak of. Aromas of tart apple, pineapple, yeasty funk, little spicyness. Taste is fruity, tart, spicy, funky, very complex. Smooth on the front and middle of tongue, carbonation very high and prickly on the sides and back. Alcohol is evident on the funky finish. Drinkability is low due to carbonation and alcohol. Unusual tripel, not the smoothest 10% triple I have had, but interesting. (667 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

33cl Bottle, best before Feb, 2010. Poured into a Val-Dieu chalice. 10% abv.

Usually De Dolle offerings foam like crazy when you open them...not this one. Although there was plenty of head after the pour. Pours a darker blonde...nice puffy white head that's about 2 fingers at first, and stays at about a finger even after a few minute of rest.

Smell is big and malty, musty? Can pick up a few spices...maybe corriander in the nose? A little banana, maybe even a hit of citrus or pineapple, but very faint.

Taste is like the smell, big and malty...but not like syrupy malty. The maltiness has almost a soft, chalk-like quality to it that feels very heavy on the tongue....coating Carbonation is very evident. The fruits try to make their way through but are not very obvious, although they tend to come out a little more as it warms. There is a distinct warming alcohol that coats the tongue right away and remains after each sip.

Mouthfeel was basically described above. Very heavy on the tongue. Smooth and coating. The malt and the alcohol really linger.

It's hard to judge the drikability of this one because of the fact that it's a pricey brew and it's only found in 33cl bottles. I generally never have more than one and could see myself having 2 in one sitting but no more. But I think that is typical of most big belgians that hang around the double digit ABV area.

A very sophisticated beer....makes me wish I would have purchased another, or even a 750 ml bottle were they to offer one. I'd like to have a little more to get a handle on it. All in all though, just like any other de dolle, a good offering and a nice unique take on a classic style. (1,666 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%

Hazy blond in color with a steady stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass to form a huge, thick, rocky white head that lasts for the entire glass. The aroma was a little disappointing. Citrus and straw with a hint of malt coming in late, but it was very weak.
A bold chocolate, caramel and roasted malt initial taste contiues to the end. Sharp, slightly bitter hops and grain join in at mid-taste and remain to finish. Mint and a nice alcohol warmth emerge as the flavor fades. Tastes of orange, coffee, and cedar blend in and out from mid-taste on. Medium thickness with excellent carbonation and balance.
A complex and ever-changing flavor. Incredibly smooth and easy drinking. Agreat beer. (708 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7%

The pour is all about the big head. The tripel means the head is triple the size of the beer. It just grows as you pour, then grows some more.

It is a pretty golden hazy color with little bubbles.

The aroma is funky and fruity. Like in a barn full of apples.

The taste is complex, fruity, funky, maybe a little smoky. The alcohol is evident. The beer has a strong aftertaste- it just stays in your mouth.

It is a nice beer to sip on. I like it. (460 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Slightly hazy golden orange hue with a dense meringue like head that takes up 2/3 of the glass, small amount of sediment.

S: A nice mix of spice and fruit blends well with the alcohol. Hints of apple, pear, melon, clove, orange, some pepper, and a slight mustiness that is quite enjoyable.

T: Lots of spice in the form of clove and pepper matched by the fruity esters. Hop bitterness comes in and interacts with, but does not over power the delicate malt sweetness. Taste of delicate fruit and honey. Slight mustiness in the finish.

M: Smooth and creamy but light and refreshing.

D: Quite possibly the best triple I have ever had, a new favorite of mine that will have to be revisited soon. (697 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

From bottle at the trappist in Oakland. High carbonation, excellent head. Very ripe fruit flavors, especially tangerine. Nice bready, doughy notes in the aroma. Extremely low hop flavor and aroma as you might expect. Nice and dry, but not bone dry. I really enjoyed this beer. (276 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.3%

Bottle poured into straight glass...

APPEARANCE: Very promising... an amber champagne color, with a monstrous head...

SMELL: Classic tripel - dry apples and spice, this one not extremely complex, but straightforward.

TASTE: Candy apples, very appealing, but whoa - the alcohol flavor is intense... tripel is one of my favorite styles, but honestly, by the time I was halfway through this one, I was ready for it to be gone because of the strong alcohol flavors...

MOUTHFEEL: Great - light and bubbly.

DRINKABILITY: Couldn't handle the alcohol flavor. I love big beers, but this one doesn't hide the alcohol at all... (621 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

330ml bottle
Bottled in february 2011

A- Opaque apple cider-like appearance. Beautiful golden hue. Head was insane and solid. Didn't spill one drop over my Westvleteren chalice. Head disappeared after 3 minutes.

S- thought I smelled gingerbread upon pouring but that disappeared quickly. Poured it straight from the fridge and it didn't have have strong bouquet. Nice and gentle spice scent. Subtle apple and pear blended with a crisp yeast smell.As it warmed up, a slight sugary smell was apparent.

T- The aftertaste's what I noticed first. Its slightly bitter and it sits on the sides of my tongue. I don't notice the oversweetness that others talk about; instead, its the alcohol that I can taste. Its not in-your-face offensive, but its definitely there. There's fruit - more plum or fig, I would say - that hits the back of my palate. Interesting mix: bitterness that rests on the front, darker, muddier fruit that sit in the back of my mouth. Cloves and greener fruit started to appear as it mellowed and warmed up.

M- Alcohol's there. Carbonation is most definitely there. Drinking this slowly and wondering if its best suited to be opened and to let it breathe for 30 minutes.

O- I wasn't sure what to expect. This is definitely more bitter than I expected it to be. I don't love it like I love some of De Dolle's other offerings (*cough cough* Reserva) but I think it will grow on me. I'd definitely suggest keeping this at cellar temp, not fridge temp, and letting it mellow before drinking.

Serving type: bottle (1,529 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%

Wow it made it America in one piece! It still held its head, I've been so disapointed in what we are getting in Florida lately! Chimay headless! How dare they! Great Beer! Bier! (177 characters)

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers